• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

Got a question. Faced my first battle against a shadow and found its weakness. So once I have found a weakness do I continue attacking its weakness ( using the same persona move on it) until I win, without using any other attack methods?

It's all about strategy. If you just pound an enemies weakness unintelligently you might find yourself going through SP too quickly. The methods depend on the enemy.

And what does 'rush' do?

It makes everyone physically attack the opponent without your input. It's an auto-attack option.

How do I know when a shadow will attack so that I can guard?

That gimmick only applies to the first boss fight. For every fight moving forward you'll have to learn to read enemies.

Nearly 3 hours in. That chie character's voice is annoying me, lol. Besides that oh and that 'Junes' jingle, it's great!

How dare you speak about my waifu that way.

Dresden

Man, just got Brave Blade upgraded to God's Hand via skill-up card.

Feels good. Also Kanji with Power Charge is bananas, owned
Shadow Naoto
with him and MC just fisting it over and over.

Miker

Just watched the normal ending. Wept like a child.

God, what a game.

I'll finish it up with the true ending tomorrow.

*wipes away tears*

EDIT: About nu-Chie's voice - if I had played Golden instead of the PS2 version, I think Naoto would be my waifu instead of Chie. In vanilla, OG-Chie's dulcet tones make her the winner, but Naoto nips at her heels.

FStop7

Banned
Getting close to being done. In one of the last dungeons. Shit gets CRAZY, yo. I could see some of the big events coming but one of them did manage to surprise me.

I might NG+ this, I'd like to try some of the S. Links I didn't do the first time, etc.

I actually triggered the bad ending when you opt to
throw Namatame into the TV
and that was a REAL downer. No way would I stick with that outcome.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any way for me to pet Fox to get costumes on the listed specific dates without going into the tv?

edit: also, who's a good wind Persona to fuse? I'm doing Yukiko/Ted/Kanji, so I need a wind persona to replace Yosuke

CSX

Any way for me to pet Fox to get costumes on the listed specific dates without going into the tv?

edit: also, who's a good wind Persona to fuse? I'm doing Yukiko/Ted/Kanji, so I need a wind persona to replace Yosuke

I dont think so. Faqs and guides keep on saying to enter the tv. You only need to do it 4 times though so you can match your grinding/dungeon days with the specific dates.

If you cant fuse a good wind persona at the current level you are on, then chances you have a garu skill card that you can use/buy to equip onto a persona instead.

If you tell us what level you are on, it be a lot easier to tell you a specific one

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone explain the fishing to me? I don't know if I'm just bad at controlling the stick, but keeping the cursor in the blue area seems impossible.

If this is what prevents me from completing some quests, I think I'm just going to give up on the game. :/

rockx4

Can someone explain the fishing to me? I don't know if I'm just bad at controlling the stick, but keeping the cursor in the blue area seems impossible.

If this is what prevents me from completing some quests, I think I'm just going to give up on the game. :/

The fishing gets easy when you get used to it. You try to use the left stick to move towards the blue and hold circle while in the blue area, and let go when it's out. Just try your best, you'll get the hang of it. Also when you get and read the expert fishing book it gets easier. Fishing will only apply to one of the Max Social Links though, it wont keep you from finishing the game. But just try fishing a few times, you'll get used to it.

rockx4

If you're wondering about the Kung Fu costume for Chie, I actually didn't get it to nearly the end of the game. I thought I missed it, then I talked to the Fox on one of the last dungeons and got it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fishing gets easy when you get used to it. You try to use the left stick to move towards the blue and hold circle while in the blue area, and let go when it's out. Just try your best, you'll get the hang of it. Also when you get and read the expert fishing book it gets easier. Fishing will only apply to one of the Max Social Links though, it wont keep you from finishing the game. But just try fishing a few times, you'll get used to it.

Of course, I ended up catching four out of five guardians. lol

I don't look forward to the sea guardian though...

rockx4

Of course, I ended up catching four out of five guardians. lol

I don't look forward to the sea guardian though...

Yea Sea Guardian is kind of a pain the first time. Took me 3-4 tries doing it, with 1 bait (thought it would be easy like the River Guardian), I had to keep reloading.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yea Sea Guardian is kind of a pain the first time. Took me 3-4 tries doing it, with 1 bait (thought it would be easy like the River Guardian), I had to keep reloading.
They make it hard + they make the bait super rare.

I guess they couldn't make EVERYTHING easy. lol

rockx4

They make it hard + they make the bait super rare.

I guess they couldn't make EVERYTHING easy. lol

Yea, in terms of battles, I think Persona 4 is probably one of the easiest JRPGs I've played. I usually don't even pay any attention to elemental stats on mobs.

Jintor

Urgh, Young Detective's Social Link is a major pain in the ass. Fixed schedule, day/night mix, sometimes he's just outright unavailable both day and night... what a jerk.

Jintor

There's something special about your first max social link

it's a pity unless they're a party member or plot-important you'll never speak to them again

/edit hilariously, kanji sends the most polite texts of all the party members

Jintor

To be fair, that boss is pretty easy. Nothing that completely overpowers you, just tries to grind you down, but with enough items it's easy to just keep passing the puck around

This band event is stupid. If they hadn't said they all suck beforehand I would be fine, but learning music in a weekend is fucking crazy.

I mean, the idea behind it is fun, but the idea they can get that good in a weekend and do choreography is insane. Absolutely insane.

I've been avoiding using Teddie for no particular reason and finally decided to power grind him up to a decent level in the final story dungeon - just saw the Teddie/
Yusuke
team attack and it made me laugh out loud...

Also, Yoshitsune... Holy shit what a badass!

This band event is stupid. If they hadn't said they all suck beforehand I would be fine, but learning music in a weekend is fucking crazy.

I mean, the idea behind it is fun, but the idea they can get that good in a weekend and do choreography is insane. Absolutely insane.
ya, 'cuz otherwise the game is the very picture of sober reason and true-to-life pragmatism... lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They stepped out of K-on, bro.

Also, I find it amazing that the band thing was real. When I heard about it on the Bombcast, I really thought it was a joke. Jeff and Vinny REALLY need to play this game...

All the Persona stuff is Persona stuff, but this is music dude
I'm a musician. I've played in live bands since I was 12 years old. At 50, I still play in two gigging rock bands and a harp/mando duet thing with my wife. I'm well aware of the work it takes to get a good live act together...

...but this is a video game... it just didn't tweak me, and I'm kinda amused it bugged you... no offense... :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No way, still on 9/20. Dropped it for a while to play Tactics Ogre.
Ah, dude, you have to go back. The band thing happens only a few weeks later. lol

----

Random question - what are the conditions for fighting
Margaret
?

I've read that you have to max her s-link, defeat all the optional bosses and do the True End in the first playthrough in order for it to unlock as an option in the second playthrough?
Has there been a new guide for the Empress S-links that uses skill cards?

And man, Hardcore Risette looks like it's going to be a pain.

rockx4

Ah, dude, you have to go back. The band thing happens only a few weeks later. lol

----

Margaret
?

I've read that you have to max her s-link, defeat all the optional bosses and do the True End in the first playthrough in order for it to unlock as an option in the second playthrough?

I got the fight on my second playthrough and I only defeated the optional bosses on the second playthrough. I missed a few of them the first time through.

Trigger

----

Margaret
?

Her requests haven't changed from the PS2 game, so you can use any old or new guide for the Empress social link. I had some skills unlocked already so I was able to just use cards for three or four of the requests. It's worth noting that you
have to visit the Velvet Room twice in the true before moving the story forward
in the true end.

Heh, I unintentionally waited until after Kanji's dungeon to sell all of my materials (I only just realized I had them) and I literally spent around 2 minutes watching the blacksmith add equipment.

jiggles

Banned
So the game's just pretty much forced me to save with a "some seriously dramatic story shit is about to go down" message, which makes me think I'm approaching the end now.

I've never played Persona 4 before, so I'm kinda hooked on finding out what's going to happen next. And I've had some theories knocking about as to where it's going to go.

I think they're going to kill Nanako or Dojima off shortly. Everything about Nanako's character and line delivery to date has said "massive tragedy incoming".

Also, Adachi seems a prime candidate for being behind everything. He's the only character who hasn't actually ever shown some sort of a dark side, or got angry. When the characters are as well rounded as they are in this, it kinda sticks out when one of them is as impossibly upbeat and nice as Adachi has been. It feels like they're trying to lead me on to think he's super-friendly for a dramatic twist. The fact that his features are so cartoonish compared to the rest of the cast also makes it easy to imagine his art contorting into malevolence.

I'm probably way off base with those, but it's fun to speculate.

SmithnCo

So the game's just pretty much forced me to save with a "some seriously dramatic story shit is about to go down" message, which makes me think I'm approaching the end now.

I've never played Persona 4 before, so I'm kinda hooked on finding out what's going to happen next. And I've had some theories knocking about as to where it's going to go.

This is when you can get a bad ending or go for the good one, so unless you want to read a non-spoiler guide for the good ending, make sure you don't overwrite that save. It's not hard though, you just have to answer some prompts right, you'll know when you get to it.

Omikaru

Oh boy, I've just reached the February post-exam content. Spoilers for that time, obviously.

The ghost stories in the cabin are so terrible, but it was worth it for the scene of Teddie eating all the food.

"Hooooooooooow daaaaaare yoooooooooooouuuuu..."

Fanservice-y as hell, but I got a good laugh out of that.

Edit: Also LOL at
Naoto: "I'm sorry, Teddie... Only people have human rights."
:lol :lol :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Her requests haven't changed from the PS2 game, so you can use any old or new guide for the Empress social link. I had some skills unlocked already so I was able to just use cards for three or four of the requests. It's worth noting that you
have to visit the Velvet Room twice in the true before moving the story forward
in the true end.
Well, I was wondering if there were easier fusion paths since skill cards are a thing. Then again, wasting days to get cards is probably not something worth doing. Just need to grind up a whole buttload of money I suppose.

On an unrelated note, is there a Hardcore Risette Guide anywhere? I can't believe they have an achievement like that but no counter.

Ken

Got the Udon P4 Design Works book as a Christmas gift.

Today I learned that Izanagi-no-Okami has a tie and Chie's persona wears biker helmets.

Jintor

I'm a musician. I've played in live bands since I was 12 years old. At 50, I still play in two gigging rock bands and a harp/mando duet thing with my wife. I'm well aware of the work it takes to get a good live act together...

...but this is a video game... it just didn't tweak me, and I'm kinda amused it bugged you... no offense... :)

I'm just saying some things I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for and other things I am hella not

Jintor

But the crops also bear crazy TV world itemness and the shops sell dungeon-escaping globes and orbs of vanishment. That all gels together into a cohesive bunch of RPG mechanics and nonsense which in aggregate barely even test disbelief. The music thing though is a purely narrative contrivance which irritates the shit out of me.

But the crops also bear crazy TV world itemness and the shops sell dungeon-escaping globes and orbs of vanishment. That all gels together into a cohesive bunch of RPG mechanics and nonsense which in aggregate barely even test disbelief. The music thing though is a purely narrative contrivance which irritates the shit out of me.

Well explain how can the girls learn how to bake in one day? IT'S IMPOSSIBRU!

Top Bottom