• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

CSX

some of the comments the team makes whenver you change costumes for anyone are hilarious

I really like how some costumes the victory animation is changed to fit the look. Nice touches :)

Omikaru

But the crops also bear crazy TV world itemness and the shops sell dungeon-escaping globes and orbs of vanishment. That all gels together into a cohesive bunch of RPG mechanics and nonsense which in aggregate barely even test disbelief. The music thing though is a purely narrative contrivance which irritates the shit out of me.

I agree. There's an element of the supernatural and the strangeness of the TV world to everything you listed. The music bit is just... well... bullshit. So far it's the only new content from Golden which I've not liked. Some of the other new stuff, like the ski resort and beach event was basically just fanservice, but I think it was pretty harmless and not at all grating. It was actually quite funny, and done in the spirit of the original. But that whole music thing? Blegh. I wish I could learn an instrument that fast.

Jintor

Well explain how can the girls learn how to bake in one day? IT'S IMPOSSIBRU!

That's the joke though - they can't bake

Also, I gotta say, decent baking's a lot fucking easier than decent music-playing.

Not that I want to harp on and on about the music, it's a blip on the radar at most. Although... the added hot springs fanservice... ==;;

CSX

Debilitate
Heat Riser
Regenerate 3
Invigorate 3
Megidolaon
Maziodyne
Elec Amp
Mind Charge

I love my Trumpeter :)

ALl done without Skill Cards cuz I dont cheat :p

Trigger

Debilitate
Heat Riser
Regenerate 3
Invigorate 3
Megidolaon
Maziodyne
Elec Amp
Mind Charge

I love my Trumpeter :)

ALl done without Skill Cards cuz I dont cheat :p

It's not really cheating if the developer expects you to use the feature. The whole point of the skill card system is to make persona customization easier.

CSX

It's not really cheating if the developer expects you to use the feature. The whole point of the skill card system is to make persona customization easier.

I was just saying that as an expression. All i been doing is giving skill cards to Marie anyways and havent bought or used a single one. For me, being able to select what skills to inherit for fusion is already too op. Mind charge and Power charge going down the family tree and all that lol

Edit : I dont think i used skill cards either back in P3

Jintor

I need this one card for Margaret's second social link rank and have no idea how to get it outside of playing cards forever

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, the one thing about the band event that's weird - you really should invite Ayane to be a part of it.

I always thought it was weird how the Nanako and Dojima events could go off track if you decided to do one without the other, but this just seems like a weird oversight. Especially since, given her S-link, you know she wants to perform.

But hey, I guess they couldn't account for every little choice?

Trigger

I was just saying that as an expression. All i been doing is giving skill cards to Marie anyways and havent bought or used a single one. For me, being able to select what skills to inherit for fusion is already too op. Mind charge and Power charge going down the family tree and all that lol

Edit : I dont think i used skill cards either back in P3

Oh, I see.

I need this one card for Margaret's second social link rank and have no idea how to get it outside of playing cards forever

You don't need any cards for her social link. Rank 2 is the ippon-datara, right? You can just fuse Angel and Sarasvati.

Squire

Banned
You know, the one thing about the band event that's weird - you really should invite Ayane to be a part of it.

I always thought it was weird how the Nanako and Dojima events could go off track if you decided to do one without the other, but this just seems like a weird oversight. Especially since, given her S-link, you know she wants to perform.

But hey, I guess they couldn't account for every little choice?

No, they just couldn't do that because there's no guarantee you'll join the music club and the investigation doesn't know her, anyway. It'd be crazy weird.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh, ok. My gut says that a Justice persona would have that as a skill card, but I can't remember who I got it from.

Anzu (heirophant) learns it at 19.

Margret's SL is so much easier now that you can give the card or choose the skill it inherits.

I used this http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64630 to finish it. I'm basically shitting money at this point and can delete and buy personae at will. Also helps that I also have a 20% discount.

I got the velvet room costumes too. They're pretty awesome. Chie does her little flip then poses like Elizabeth, quotes her too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, they just couldn't do that because there's no guarantee you'll join the music club and the investigation doesn't know her, anyway. It'd be crazy weird.
No, I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't have added a few scenes if you were in the music club and you were in a high enough relationship with her.

They already have events where the "minor" S-link characters can bump into the "real" characters in various optional events, so it's just weird that you are a) already part of a band and b) friends with people who can play instruments and that you never even think of that as an option.

rockx4

Starting a Chie playthrough, I've been doing single ones for Yukiko, Rise and Naoto. I wish the fast forward was a bit faster, and I wish we could map it to something other than the crappy ass start button.

CSX

To catch the guardian fishes for the final Fox quest, do i have to fish during rainy days/nights?

I only got one of the jewel beetle and im planning to just reload my save till i get the first fish. However its not on a rainy night.

To catch the guardian fishes for the final Fox quest, do i have to fish during rainy days/nights?

I only got one of the jewel beetle and im planning to just reload my save till i get the first fish. However its not on a rainy night.

You can actually take back the bait if the ripples aren't splashing.

If there is no splash, it isn't a guardian.

Miker

Okay, I finished the PS2 version around noon today with the true ending, along with maxing most social links and completing all quests. 75 hours all told. Looking back, I think Persona 4 might be one of my favorite games ever.

The only things that I didn't like were the dungeon designs, and partially how long they were. Although I think the game expects you to spread out your dungeon crawling, I always thought it was beneficial to clear a dungeon in one day. Getting to the 11th floor of
Maryukyu Striptease
with the monotonous music pounding in one sitting was a bit much, though I won't hold it against the game knowing that it was my choice to do a dungeon in one afternoon.

I might be in the minority here, but the difficulty was pretty well-balanced throughout the game, up until the final boss.

Another thing to note is that the localization is, I think, one of the best in the business. The flow of the dialogue and the interaction between characters is consistently great, and the script doesn't fall prey to translation oddities or errors or Phoenix Wright's "this game totally takes place in America. no, really, I swear."

And the voice acting is god tier. Chie and Naoto are my favorites, but Kanji is great as well - and he didn't nearly get enough lines. I really like how mature they sounded despite them being high schoolers, and after listening to the anime's Japanese VA, I appreciate the English cast even more. And nu-Chie's voice actress in Golden makes me cringe.

I also think that having a silent protagonist was really the right choice to go for this game. I loved how often your character's name comes up in dialogue, and the game's deadpan "you blah blah blah" comments. I'm not entirely sure why, but I don't think I would've liked it nearly as much if the MC was a character like Shepard in Mass Effect.

At the end, when
the cast started running after the train and shouting their goodbyes
, I just lost it and broke down crying. I should've followed this guy's advice. I'm not entirely sure what it was about the cast, but I don't think I've ever held this much affection for fictional characters before. I'm frankly surprised I had this much of a reaction.

So...yeah. Persona 4's a pretty good game, but I don't need to tell you guys, right? Anyway, thanks for reading if you did.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And the voice acting is god tier. Chie and Naoto are my favorites, but Kanji is great as well - and he didn't nearly get enough lines. I really like how mature they sounded despite them being high schoolers, and after listening to the anime's Japanese VA, I appreciate the English cast even more. And nu-Chie's voice actress in Golden makes me cringe.
Maybe it's been a while, but I don't mind the new Chie voice anymore. She's maybe better than the original. But, you never forget the first I suppose.

CSX

Anyone know the last day you can complete the dungeon in December before you miss the
Christmas Date

Hey guys, this guide I'm following is a bit confusing. Do I need to be in a
love relationship with Marie to get the secret dungeon? It says I need it but I don't think so. I can just be friends, right?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hey guys, this guide I'm following is a bit confusing. Do I need to be in a
love relationship with Marie to get the secret dungeon? It says I need it but I don't think so. I can just be friends, right?

You don't have to be in a relationship with her.

On a side note, what exactly does it mean when you fuse demons and the thing is highlighted in purple?

You don't have to be in a relationship with her.

On a side note, what exactly does it mean when you fuse demons and the thing is highlighted in purple?

You tried it? Just making sure.

I think the purple thing means that it is a unique fusion that can only be done with what you're fusing with. Nothing special.

Meier

Doh! Traded the Guardian for a stone before showing it to the blacksmith. Can I catch another one?

And what is required to catch the one at the sea? I don't seem to have much in the way of acceptable bait. I got like 6 tires and one tuna.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doh! Traded the Guardian for a stone before showing it to the blacksmith. Can I catch another one?

And what is required to catch the one at the sea? I don't seem to have much in the way of acceptable bait. I got like 6 tires and one tuna.

Yeah, the Guardians are infinite iirc.

To catch the Sea Guardian, you need to start the final Hermit quest and then talk to the old man by the river.

----

Another random question - has anyone been through the broken S-link with Ai/Moon? I forgot to try it out this time around and I'm curious to see what the game makes you do to repair that relationship, if it's even possible.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You tried it? Just making sure.

I think the purple thing means that it is a unique fusion that can only be done with what you're fusing with. Nothing special.

Yeah, I did it in the first run through, I think being in a relationship with her just adds a few lines to the epilogue.

That would make sense, seeing as there is only one way to fuse Norn.

Top Bottom