• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

Also, it's kinda impressive how much new texture work they did for this port. I'm watching the Kanji stakeout scene and comparing it with the original, and they've redone the backgrounds, redone all the trees, and increased the texture resolution on everything

The new touches are nice; like the grasshopper in Chie's social link that now looks huge. I don't remember it always being like that. It makes the scene more comical.

Sophia

The new touches are nice; like the grasshopper in Chie's social link that now looks huge. I don't remember it always being like that. It makes the scene more comical.

Much of the city was completely redone too. Much higher quality. Even PCSX2 can't make the game look this good.

Dantis

I'm not sure if they actually said that. That said I prefer gameplay additions like they did in P4G, and alternative stories like they did with P3P.

Also, it's kinda impressive how much new texture work they did for this port. I'm watching the Kanji stakeout scene and comparing it with the original, and they've redone the backgrounds, redone all the trees, and increased the texture resolution on everything

Mmmm...

The textures are sharpened, rather than redone. They look better, but the difference isn't that significant.

They were pretty solid in the original Persona 4.

Sophia

Mmmm...

The textures are sharpened, rather than redone. They look better, but the difference isn't that significant.

They were pretty solid in the original Persona 4.

They are definitely NOT just sharpened. Now that I have the game I can compare. There's a loooot of all new work.

2012-12-26-162819l7jte.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder who the most popular P4 female is......
Pfffff rise is the best :D

Sophia

Not in the parts that I compared. The only thing I remember being redone is the trees.

Most of the background city areas have been redone. Other areas haven't been changed, but the resolution of the textures has been increased. Virtually every floor texture has been up-ressed beyond what emulators are capable of.

In the very first image the Car's been redone, the stairs have been redone, the vending machines have been redone, the bikes are all new, the hand rails are all new, and the signs are almost all new such as the one right behind Dojima. What isn't all new has been given a significant resolution upgrade.

Dantis

Most of the background city areas have been redone. Other areas haven't been changed, but the resolution of the textures has been increased. Virtually every floor texture has been up-ressed beyond what emulators are capable of.

Like I say, sharpened. They're literally using higher res versions of the same textures.

The alternative would have been to redo the materials from scratch, which would have looked a lot better, but would have taken a lot longer.

Omikaru

Not in the parts that I compared. The only thing I remember being redone is the trees.

Check this out.

Looking at some of those screens, the textures are definitely improved in places. Look at the carpet in the Dojima household on PS2, and then on Vita. They probably went back to the original assets and compressed them less, since they have so much more RAM in the Vita than PS2 did.

Dantis

Looking at some of those screens, the textures are definitely improved in places. Look at the carpet in the Dojima household on PS2, and then on Vita. They probably went back to the original assets and compressed them less, since they have so much more RAM in the Vita than PS2 did.

Like I say, higher res versions of the same textures.

I'm not saying it doesn't look better. It's easily the best looking version of the game.

But it could look better still. It is still very much a PS2 game.

Sophia

Some areas are definitely just improved versions of the original assists. The outside of Dojima's hosehold is almost entirely the same, save where they moved some stuff for the garden. The inside has considerable new texture work done. The floor, pillows, couch, the stuff behind the couch, etc, is almost all new.

I'm not saying it doesn't look better. It's easily the best looking version of the game.

I'm not saying it's not a PS2 game either, just merely pointing out that your claims of higher resolution versions of the same texture are false because several objects have been flat out changed. The pillows the characters sit on at Dojima's house are different, as is the box behind his couch, for example. The dungeons are less noticable, but I suspect that's because they didn't have much in them to begin with being randomized.

Omikaru

No doubt, and the Vita is definitely capable of making this game look better. But let's be honest, P4G was put together on a small budget in comparison to a full Persona game. Let's wait to be wowed with Persona 5, whenever Atlus gets around to announcing it...

Dantis

I'm not saying it's not a PS2 game either, just merely pointing out that your claims of higher resolution versions of the same texture are false because several objects have been flat out changed. The pillows the characters sit on at Dojima's house are different, as is the box behind his couch, for example. The dungeons are less noticable, but I suspect that's because they didn't have much in them to begin with being randomized.

I think for the most part, they're upgraded versions of the original.

I guess it doesn't matter though, the game looks fine either way.

My only complaint in terms of graphics is that they didn't upgrade the character models. Bizarre choice. They could have made them look amazotron.

Poor you. :D

I thought I wasn't being crazy. Many scenes are now voiced when they weren't originally, such as the fox showing up at Junes.

Yup. I hadn't even realised that the ending battle wasn't voiced in the original. This is the kind of improvement I really appreciate.

Squire

Banned
This is cool to see after all this time, he still likes the game. Jeff from giantbomb put up his list of top 10 games of 2012, and he admits that while he hasn't really played the Golden version, he can't call it his #1 game of 2012, but it's listed as his #1a because people should play Persona 4, so it's his other #1 game of 2012. Persona 4 Arena was also his #8 game.

GB rocks so hard. I love how big a part of their legacy P4 is. I already liked them and in still not done with the ER, but now that I've played P4, I appreciate them a little bit more, too.

I just know they're gonna do an ER for P5. You could tell they were hoping Catherine was gonna turn out to be something like that so they could then, but it wasn't.

Sophia

I think for the most part, they're upgraded versions of the original.

I guess it doesn't matter though, the game looks fine either way.

My only complaint in terms of graphics is that they didn't upgrade the character models. Bizarre choice. They could have made them look amazotron.

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the character models. They look the same as if they were running in emulator. I'll ignore it tho because casual clothes ftw when dungeon exploring.

Dantis

GB rocks so hard. I love how big a part of their legacy P4 is. I already liked them and in still not done with the ER, but now that I've played P4, I appreciate them a little bit more, too.

I just know they're gonna do an ER for P5. You could tell they were hoping Catherine was gonna turn out to be something like that so they could then, but it wasn't.

As I recall, their Catherine review was rather negative. :(

Clearly, they have terrible opinions.

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the character models. They look the same as if they were running in emulator. I'll ignore it tho because casual clothes ftw when dungeon exploring.

Yup. Catherine-level of detail for face in P5 please. :p

Sophia

Yup. Catherine-level of detail for face in P5 please. :p

I don't think I need that much detail, however I do want outfit selecting. Their casual clothes are so much more stylish than the Yasogami Uniforms.

I'll be using the Gekkoukhan ones when I get that far. >.<;

Dantis

I don't think I need that much detail, however I do want outfit selecting. Their casual clothes are so much more stylish than the Yasogami Uniforms.

I'll be using the Gekkoukhan ones when I get that far. >.<;

Uncharted 3 level-of-detail or bust. :p

The Gekkoukan outfits are ace. They're what I use. :)
As an aside, I was surprised that Naoto's
is a female uniform. Expected it to be male, to match her Yasogami one

Dantis

I'm okay with this,
I think she looks better that way anyhow!
Nothing beats Naoto's casual clothes tho.

Yeah, I'm fine with it. Makes a nice change. ;)

Fanservice.

Doesn't bother me too much. It goes directly against what she says in the Christmas event, but it's fine. At least she doesn't have stripper-boobs like she does in the epilogue.

I just thought it was interesting is all. :p

Dantis

Harmless fanservice if you ask me. Those Gekkoukhan uniforms are so stylish. Take note local academy and charter schools. You might have students if your uniforms were THAT cool and not those ugly polos...

I find it odd that the Gekkoukan one is so much more stylish.

Maybe it's because it's meant to be a private city-school?

Sophia

Time to eat dinner and let my Vita charge. 11 hours in at Kanji's dungeon.

I find it odd that the Gekkoukan one is so much more stylish.

Maybe it's because it's meant to be a private city-school?

Maybe, but even the private academy here doesn't have uniforms THAT good. Nor does it have teachers that crazy-awesome. :p

I didn't like the Catherine demo, myself :b

Adventure and Puzzle games like that can sometimes be an acquired taste if you're not instantly drawn to them. You might wanna try the full game if you can.

Omikaru

You are tearing me apart, Lisa.

Catherine is like the second best game from last year.

Second best? I don't think I actually completed another game last year. I was so miserable going into 2012, having Catherine be the only game I actually enjoyed.

Dantis

Second best? I don't think I actually completed another game last year. I was so miserable going into 2012, having Catherine be the only game I actually enjoyed.

The Witcher 2. :p

It blew my mind. A game like that shouldn't exist. I consider it the greatest development in western RPGs in.... A long time. It also had some gorgeous art design (Practical outfits for the win), amazing music which combined folk, classical and heavy metal, and the biggest decisions I've ever seen in a game.

Catherine on the other hand, was Persona lite with block climbing instead of dungeon running. It even has S Links!

And I loved every damn minute of it.

Maybe, but even the private academy here doesn't have uniforms THAT good. Nor does it have teachers that crazy-awesome. :p

Haha, this is true. Private schools in England have very un-stylish uniforms.

Maybe they're cooler in Japan? :p

Sallokin

Just finished the True Ending route. SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. This game is easily one of my top five games of all time. I cannot get enough of it. Haven't felt this good about a game in a really long time.

Trigger

Catherine felt too short for my taste. It needed more content. Of course, I don't normally play puzzle games so I can't properly judge length in that genre.

Salaadin

Valentines day:
Chies homemade chocolate is misshapen.
It also seems slightly runny.
You cast your fear aside and put it in your mouth.
Its not delicious.

LMAO. This game cracks me up like no other

Jintor

The Witcher 2. :p

It blew my mind. A game like that shouldn't exist. I consider it the greatest development in western RPGs in.... A long time. It also had some gorgeous art design (Practical outfits for the win), amazing music which combined folk, classical and heavy metal, and the biggest decisions I've ever seen in a game.

The intensely unsatisfying ending didn't get you? Dude I was psyched to see what was going on after that massive plot branch and then bam I'm fighting a dragon oops no real plot resolution

Sophia

Haha, this is true. Private schools in England have very un-stylish uniforms.

Maybe they're cooler in Japan? :p

As fetishy as they are in fiction, the real life sailor uniforms and the more common blazer are about a thousand time better than those god-awful polos they had at one school I almost went to. No kid ever felt good with the logo covering half their damn shirt. >.<;

But people here are aversive to a) anything expensive and b) anything that's a skirt. Oh well.

20121226195748.jpg

Sweet, sweet release.

Congrats! Is that just from a rare chest?

As fetishy as they are in fiction, the real life sailor uniforms and the more common blazer are about a thousand time better than those god-awful polos they had at one school I almost went to. No kid ever felt good with the logo covering half their damn shirt. >.<;

Congrats! Is that just from a rare chest?

yes, rare chest only

Catherine felt too short for my taste. It needed more content. Of course, I don't normally play puzzle games so I can't properly judge length in that genre.

Puzzle wise, it was kind of short because some of the production costs (most probably) went towards the stuff in between the puzzles.

As it stands I think it was a pretty fulfilling experience. Babel can suck a duck though, I'm doing that shit

The intensely unsatisfying ending didn't get you? Dude I was psyched to see what was going on after that massive plot branch and then bam I'm fighting a dragon oops no real plot resolution

The game really could have at least used an FMV of
the Nilfgaardian army starting their march or something
. If you look at the endings as ending states, then yeah it was pretty satisfying, to me anyway. I kind of liked not being the most important person in the world
Geralt gets Triss back and he's finally able to ride off into the sunset but with the state of things, you know he's going to get dragged back somehow. Then there's the whole Yennefer thing which complicates things further

Witcher 2 was my GOTY last year also

Jintor

Hell, come to think of it I barely remember anything that happened in Witcher 2 except at some point the plot had the potential to branch crazily and also I fought a dragon on a tower

Sophia

Hell, come to think of it I barely remember anything that happened in Witcher 2 except at some point the plot had the potential to branch crazily and also I fought a dragon on a tower

I've only played the beginning of The Witcher 2. I couldn't stand it on the 360 when I rented it, and my only experience was playing a demo via Gaikai on the PC. I need to buy it but I'm brooooke. Stupid Steam sale at Christmas. ;_;

Sophia

Cool. I'm getting Arena tomorrow!

Anyone here still playing it in a casual way?

There's still lots of casual players on the PS3, both online and on GAF. You might have a harder time finding players if you get really good tho. Tons of Japanese players too if your connection is good enough.

Squire

Banned
Adventure and Puzzle games like that can sometimes be an acquired taste if you're not instantly drawn to them. You might wanna try the full game if you can.

Adventure games I like. LA Noire was actually one of my favorite games that year. Cathy's puzzle mechanics seem like bunk though.

Jintor

I eventually came to the conclusion I don't really like Adventure games that much for the most part

But shit, i'll still play some of those old lucasarts games eventually. Grim Fandango was the bomb, so one day I'll get around to Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and The Dig...

Top Bottom