• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, Yukiko's kind of boring but when she's got a great line read, she's the best
Particularly her response to the 'photograph of the young okami' given to the main character.

Also I really don't like the Devil or Temperance S Link. Only reason I do the latter is for understanding

Trigger

So that's what
Yosuke was talking about when he said things were crazy last time MC came to visit? Note, I haven't actually played P4 Arena (European, lol), but I assume crazy things happen! :p

Yeppers. lol, it's funny how they all casually brush it off though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
oh my god, Teddie on skates

edit: Since I'm rank 5 in knowledge, do I still have to study for homework/exams?

also Baphomet's one of my favorite new Personas

Trigger

Knowledge determines how well you do on the final day of testing. You have to remember the answers and do well on the final day to get the good stuff (costumes, cash, social link boosts).

Salaadin

So now that the game is finally coming to an end (tears in my eyes, man, I cant take it!), Im wondering about the anime.

Are the blu rays worth it or are there better, legal ways to view it?
Amazon has 2 sets listed....collection 1 and collection 2. Is this all there is? I see Col 2 isnt out yet but thats fine.

EDIT: Also, soundtrack. Whats the best? I see P4 and P4G versions.

Sophia

So now that the game is finally coming to an end (tears in my eyes, man, I cant take it!), Im wondering about the anime.

Are the blu rays worth it or are there better, legal ways to view it?
Amazon has 2 sets listed....collection 1 and collection 2. Is this all there is? I see Col 2 isnt out yet but thats fine.

EDIT: Also, soundtrack. Whats the best? I see P4 and P4G versions.

The P4G soundtrack is just the additional tracks included for the Golden version, and doesn't include the stuff that was originally in the game. You'll need both for the complete soundtrack.

Jintor

Anyone have a guide handy for getting all the books? Specifically the stuff with the strength SL... I hear if you take soccer it's not as big a problem, but I'd like to know the dates I have to put Drama and Soccer on hold for

My current dungeon trawling attire is the butler suits for the guys & agent suits for the girls until I get the P3 uniforms. I'm quite digging the look tbh.

Trigger

Anyone have a guide handy for getting all the books? Specifically the stuff with the strength SL... I hear if you take soccer it's not as big a problem, but I'd like to know the dates I have to put Drama and Soccer on hold for

This post from PS3 Trophies has a guide for the book trophy. Have you beaten the game yet? If not, then avoid this since it spoils some plot stuff. I can find something else if that's the case. The names of some books are off, but the information is all correct. I used it to get the books.

Jintor

This post from PS3 Trophies has a guide for the book trophy. Have you beaten the game yet? If not, then avoid this since it spoils some plot stuff. I can find something else if that's the case. The names of some books are off, but the information is all correct. I used it to get the books.

Yeah, I'm on NG+. Thanks!

/edit ah... this one has the dates I need, but no mention of whether or not the Sun and Strength SLs will disrupt it :T

_woLf

Figured I'd ask just to make sure, there's no negative to having both Marie and someone like Yukiko/Chie/Rise as lovers, right? I know if you have any of the original cast at the same time there's issues but I remember hearing that Marie didn't make a difference.

I friendzoned Marie my first run through but figured I'd go intimate in NG+ if it doesn't mess other things up.

Trigger

Figured I'd ask just to make sure, there's no negative to having both Marie and someone like Yukiko/Chie/Rise as lovers, right? I know if you have any of the original cast at the same time there's issues but I remember hearing that Marie didn't make a difference.

I friendzoned Marie my first run through but figured I'd go intimate in NG+ if it doesn't mess other things up.

It won't mess anything up. You can't spend V-Day with both Yukiko and Chie though, and I'm pretty sure you need to max Aeon to see anything with Marie after the deadline (though I assume you've already done so if you're romancing her).

zychi

Banned
can someone recommend me a good guide website for this game? i wanna do as much as possible on my first play through.

Jintor

The more I play, the more I grow to appreciate Kanji's VA. He's seriously excellent. I mean, all the party characters are, but Kanji's in particular I think really stands out.

Trigger

can someone recommend me a good guide website for this game? i wanna do as much as possible on my first play through.

What are you looking for? There are many sites out there, but none have collected all the information for Persona 4. It's usually best to scour a bit and compare information. You won't get to do a lot on your first playthrough if you're trying to have a fun, organic experience since there are some tight deadlines.

The more I play, the more I grow to appreciate Kanji's VA. He's seriously excellent. I mean, all the party characters are, but Kanji's in particular I think really stands out.

Troy Baker is an amazing VA overall. I love most of the roles he plays. He was awesome as Vincent in Catherine for example.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there a list of skill cards that you can get from Personas?

I've fused over 50% of the compendium and I still haven't seen a Persona with a skill card icon next to their skills. :(

I've fused over 50% of the compendium and I still haven't seen a Persona with a skill card icon next to their skills. :(

You have to first drink coffee at Okina City and then the skill card icon will start appearing.

Trigger

To my knowledge, every persona has a skill card. Once you activate the cafe you should see them appear. In order to unlock some you'll have to take the time to level personae. I hate the cafe's limit. You don't really have enough time to drink coffee and get all the cards in one playthrough, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have to first drink coffee at Okina City and then the skill card icon will start appearing.
To my knowledge, every persona has a skill card. Once you activate the cafe you should see them appear. In order to unlock some you'll have to take the time to level personae. I hate the cafe's limit. You don't really have enough time to drink coffee and get all the cards in one playthrough, lol.
Ahhhhhh.

So if you unlock the ability to see skill cards in one playthrough, does it carry over to the next?

At this point, I figure you have to spend an entire playthrough to get enough via the cafe for the achievement?

Trigger

Ahhhhhh.

So if you unlock the ability to see skill cards in one playthrough, does it carry over to the next?

Yes, the abilities are available as long as the skills have been learned by the persona or saved by Marie. I have a copy of Trumpeter in my compendium for example that knows Debilitate so I can just visit the cafe on any playthrough to get the card. I also sold a copy to Marie. It's important to note though, that once a persona has given up a card it can't do so again.

At this point, I figure you have to spend an entire playthrough to get enough via the cafe for the achievement?

You'd need at least two because there isn't enough cards from shuffletime and spending time at the cafe costs you a daytime/or after school period.

is it true you can't romance Naoto until NG+?

Naoto requires max knowledge, courage, and a certain set of responses to romance. It's hard, but not impossible to pull off.

Really? I'm at 97 cards and only gotten one card via the cafe and still have some dungeons to go. And, I just started scratching the surface of the higher level sword cards drops.

Young Magus

Finished the game a few days back and I gotta say...
I actually really, really, really liked it.

The overall feel of the game was something special and quite few and far between in modern RPGs, let alone games. Even when I was coming up towards the end of the game I didn't want it to end, there was so much that I still wanted to do and complete. The story was top-notch and made myself wish that I did not spoil myself on the plot a few years back. The characters themselves felt alive and not as stereotypical as other characters that fit their "archetype". The ending fight and cut-scene was extremely well done and add more overall sadness towards the fact that the game was ending. Overall it was an enjoyable 65+ Hours that I will never forget.

Finally a quick question, would it be wise to start a 2nd playthough now or to hold off so that I would be burned out later?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, the abilities are available as long as the skills have been learned by the persona or saved by Marie. I have a copy of Trumpeter in my compendium for example that knows Debilitate so I can just visit the cafe on any playthrough to get the card. I also sold a copy to Marie. It's important to note though, that once a persona has given up a card it can't do so again.

You'd need at least two because there isn't enough cards from shuffletime and spending time at the cafe costs you a daytime/or after school period.
Actually, I meant if the ability to see which cards are available from the cafe carries over to NG+ or do you need to "waste" a visit in order to get a skill card later on?
Maybe the card trophy will just require a throwaway save where I go to the cafe 30 times in a row... just like what I did for the book trophy. lol

Really? I'm at 97 cards and only gotten one card via the cafe and still have some dungeons to go. And, I just started scratching the surface of the higher level sword cards drops.
Is there a count? I don't know how many I have, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that many.

Trigger

Actually, I meant if the ability to see which cards are available from the cafe carries over to NG+ or do you need to "waste" a visit in order to get a skill card later on?
Maybe the card trophy will just require a throwaway save where I go to the cafe 30 times in a row... just like what I did for

Oh, no you have to see the scene and get your free Dia card each playthrough, lol.

Dresden

I have my doubts about some of the additions to Golden (and I haven't even hit that mythically bad concert yet), but the Jester s-link is pretty ace. If only there was a FemC and I could romance Adachi...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Is there a count? I don't know how many I have, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that many.

Nope, gotta do it by hand! Also, you can't give her the same card twice, so you'll know how many you've given and how many more you'll need.

Just dump them all at the end before you fight the final boss, they won't carry over into NG+ UNLESS you give them to Marie. Then you can collect more and add to your collection in NG+.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have my doubts about some of the additions to Golden (and I haven't even hit that mythically bad concert yet), but the Jester s-link is pretty ace. If only there was a FemC and I could romance Adachi...

Just further proof that P5 needs to be all adults

Jintor

Honourifics: yay or nay

on on hand they really commit and they're pretty consistent throughout and you do get a few subtle shades of meaning

and they let kanji and rise and naoto call you something other than leader

but it's also reaaaaaally annoyingggggggggg

on on hand they really commit and they're pretty consistent throughout and you do get a few subtle shades of meaning

I thought it was an ingenious way to let all the characters address you as "senpai" during cutscenes and a majority of the dialogue. The
final
cutscene in particular would be so much worse if they had to awkwardly substitute a myriad of words.

Unlike Ace Attorney, the series makes no apologies for being set in Japan, so I think it's appropriate and adds to the atmosphere.

If say... Etrian Odyssey used honorifics, it would be insufferable.

Also, like a million other people, I named my MC Yu Narukami. And there was a line of dialogue that was written something like "Hey, [character name]!" and the spoken dialogue said "Hey, you!". I smiled into my neckbeard and chortled at my success.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, no you have to see the scene and get your free Dia card each playthrough, lol.
Ah, poo. They really want you to waste that day!

Well I just went to Marie and just counted the number of cards I could buy from her, lol.
Damn. lol

Only if you could play an older woman and pretend Adachi was your son.

But man, a romance ending with Adachi would be amazingly hilarious. Either you
run off with him as an accomplice like one of those crazy women who dates serial killers in real life, or you end up visiting him in jail for conjugal visits
. lol

Oh wow, just thinking about what Adachi is like at the end of the game would make it even MORE hilarious, since
he's a terrible "nice guy" misogynist, so having him fall in love with you would say more about the shittiness of your character more than anything else. lol

God, no FeMC is such a missed opportunity!

Well, it's weird, because I assume that they call you "kaicho" but... I don't know if "boss" or "chief" would really play.

What's amazing is that they basically don't explain anything. I think if you aren't a weeaboo or Japanese, you'd have no idea what a "senpai" is even after 100 hours of playing the game.

Unlike Ace Attorney, the series makes no apologies for being set in Japan, so I think it's appropriate and adds to the atmosphere.
Heck, they keep the names of Japanese foods and various things like kotatsu untranslated in the game. There's even one time where they have actual kanji (Japanese characters :p) in the game during one of the tests.

Also, like a million other people, I named my MC Yu Narukami. And there was a line of dialogue that was written something like "Hey, [character name]!" and the spoken dialogue said "Hey, you!". I smiled into my neckbeard and chortled at my success.
Heh, I actually saw a cutscene that said "Hey you, Yu!" on youtube somewhere. lol

Top Bottom