• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Young Magus

I just beat it. This game, man. Top 10 all time for sure.
Why cant it go on forever?

All good things must come to an end right?
I just made myself sad :(

Oh and what does exactly carries over in new game plus? I know social stats carry over but do levels also?

SmithnCo

All good things must come to an end right?
I just made myself sad :(

Oh and what does exactly carries over in new game plus? I know social stats carry over but do levels also?

No levels.

Your money carries over, and the compendium and the weapons you've forged, I know that. So you can pretty much go into a new game with really strong armor/weapons and a strong persona as well.

Salaadin

Watch the anime.

Play P4 Arena.

Play P3P if you haven't yet.

And realize none of these will fill the void.

I plan on doing all 3. They might not be p4g but I need something!

I was literally all misty eyed during the credits. This is an amazing game. Game of the year. The reason to own a Vita. Whatever you want to call it. Just an outstanding experience from beginning to end.

I sound like a babbling fanboy but everything I say is true. Not an opinion. The truth!

Squire

Banned
(if Atlus has enough teams to spare, I think the "Catherine" label would be a good series for that age group, Persona should probably always remain teenage-ish with maybe a teacher thrown in for good measure)

I think this is a perfect plan! FWIW: I say uni students if they feel they absolutely need to go older, but I totally prefer a high school setting if I can get that.

Sophia

And down goes Shadow Kanji. First try. Red Wall/White Wall don't really make up for how much easier the cohorts are with a weakness. I almost regret playing on Very Hard. Almost.

15 hours 36 minutes playtime.

Noi

And down goes Shadow Kanji. First try. Red Wall/White Wall don't really make up for how much easier the cohorts are with a weakness. I almost regret playing on Very Hard. Almost.

15 hours 36 minutes playtime.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I want a rational continuation of what happened in P4A that ties all the series together, but most of you people here dont want that.
I want it to! And I feel like it's inevitable, even if (at worst) only as a fighting game sequel.

They're not just going to go "Oh, all that stuff we went out of our way to set up? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh whatever, maybe we'll get someone to do an iOS light novel someday."

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I want a rational continuation of what happened in P4A that ties all the series together, but most of you people here dont want that.

PuCoZ.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think if I lost to a nerfed Shadow Kanji after how many times I've played the original, I'd be in trouble. >_>;

I lost to a nerfed Shadow Youske the first time I played Golden.... because I had a brain fart and was too overconfident.

Oh and I once killed myself with a hama spell that reflected off an enemy. XD

Sophia

Oh... makes me feel marginally better then.

(I'm level 21 fighting Shadow
Teddie
and getting my ass kicked. I was level 14-15 at Shadow Kanji. ;_;)

In the offhand chance that I had lost, I would have leveled to 25 or so. :p

I lost to a nerfed Shadow Youske the first time I played Golden.... because I had a brain fart and was too overconfident.

Oh and I once killed myself with a hama spell that reflected off an enemy. XD

I did that too actually, losing to Shadow Yosuke, it's a few pages back. XD

Sophia

Im curious. Have any of you guys tried any of the other megatens that aren't Persona? How did you feel about them? Just curious.

Played Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1, Devil Survivor, and Soul Hackers. They were all pretty awesome, but most of them were rentals. :S

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Im curious. Have any of you guys tried any of the other megatens that aren't Persona? How did you feel about them? Just curious.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. Do you want me to take a picture? :p

I think I have all the others except the Raidou games. Only haven't beaten Nocturne. That one scares me, like I know I'll fuck something up and lose about 30-40 hours of gameplay and have to start over, kinda hate that.

But, I've beaten SJ, DS1 & 2, DDS1 & 2, I'm probably forgetting one. I dunno, I play vidya way too much.

Noi

I've beaten Raidou Summoner 1 and Nocturne, own and started Raidou Summoner 2 and Strange Journey, and own but have not played DDS 1 and 2. Was interested in Devil Survivor, but I really don't like the art style for it. Yet to play a Megaten that I've not enjoyed outside of Persona 1 though.

Only haven't beaten Nocturne. That one scares me, like I know I'll fuck something up and lose about 30-40 hours of gameplay and have to start over, kinda hate that.

P4G on V. Hard has treated me way more harshly than Nocturne on Hard ever did, and that was going for a True Demon ending run on my first playthrough.

2 is liked more than 1 by some, less than 1 by others. I'd say still give it a shot. As for Overclocked, did you play normal 1 a lot?
DS 2 and 1 feel like very different games, tonally.

1 is essentially classic SMT but with kids, but still an apocalyptic scenario.

2 is an Eva-ish demons vs aliens thing going on, and has fewer difficulty spikes (but the gameplay isn't as silky smooth as Overclocked).

Both are pretty neat, and arguably just plain more fun than Strange Journey with it's labyrinthine tunnels and minimal story.

Jintor

I plan on doing all 3. They might not be p4g but I need something!

I was literally all misty eyed during the credits. This is an amazing game. Game of the year. The reason to own a Vita. Whatever you want to call it. Just an outstanding experience from beginning to end.

I sound like a babbling fanboy but everything I say is true. Not an opinion. The truth!

Reach out to it, baby

DS 2 and 1 feel like very different games, tonally.

1 is essentially classic SMT but with kids, but still an apocalyptic scenario.

2 is an Eva-ish demons vs aliens thing going on, and has fewer difficulty spikes (but the gameplay isn't as silky smooth as Overclocked).

Both are pretty neat, and arguably just plain more fun than Strange Journey with it's labyrinthine tunnels and minimal story.

Mainline smt fans would disagree with you there...but I find that the beauty of Megaten. They try so many different styles and types of game within a similar framework. It's interesting how the fanbase splits a thousand ways.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
OG Devil Survivor here, that game was pretty damn good, a shame 2 was dissapointing to me.

Yeah, 1 was great, hell, I beat it with an all strength MC build too, even though I rage quitted at one part where a minion managed to full heal a boss. God damn I nearly flung my DS.

2 fell a little flat but had some very nice improvements. The compendium being #1. :p

Love that gameplay.

Mainline smt fans would disagree with you there...but I find that the beauty of Megaten. They try so many different styles and types of game within a similar framework. It's interesting how the fanbase splits a thousand ways.

This is why you're a cool guy unlike some other SMT fans.

Yeah, 1 was great, hell, I beat it with an all strength MC build too, even though I rage quitted at one part where a minion managed to full heal a boss. God damn I nearly flung my DS.

2 fell a little flat but had some very nice improvements. The compendium being #1. :p

Love that gameplay.

All magic, holy danced my way through the game. I imagined my dude wearing a pope outfit doing the carlton dance from the Fresh Prince.

A long, long time ago, I was one of those who damned Persona 3. Since then, I have learned to be more open with...well everything, and now my 3 fab Megaten games are Nocturne, Persona 2 Duology and Persona 4.

Hard to be a snob when all the games are really good in vastly different ways!

Well.... there's.... Maken X....

I should add some other Megaten game I've played and recommend:

Devil Summoner 2 is a fantastic action-rpg that fixed all the clunkiness from the first game. The setting isn't quite as interesting, but the story structurally feels like a whole season of a classic Japanese action show. Like... if Zatoichi was a demon-summoning, gun-toting, cat-carrying detective instead of a blind swordsman.

Nocturne - If every SMT game can be amalgamated into "normal mode", this is definitely "hard mode". The difficulty is exaggerated a little bit because the first boss will DESTROY you if you're not used to the null/reflect battle system (which was pretty novel at the time). The designs are gorgeous, the settings wonderfully creepy and the choice of morally ambiguous branching endings unfolds in a really interesting way. However, to get the "TRUE" (optional) ending, you have to do an incredible amount of backbreaking work, but you get Dante along the way.

Here's an AWESOME clip from the Japanese version with Raidou instead of Dante, to give you a sense of the atmosphere.

Devil Summoner 2 is a fantastic action-rpg that fixed all the clunkiness from the first game. The setting isn't quite as interesting, but the story structurally feels like a whole season of a classic Japanese action show. Like... if Zatoichi was a demon-summoning, gun-toting, cat-carrying detective instead of a blind swordsman.

Nocturne - If every SMT game can be amalgamated into "normal mode", this is definitely "hard mode". The difficulty is exaggerated a little bit because the first boss will DESTROY you if you're not used to the null/reflect battle system (which was pretty novel at the time). The designs are gorgeous, the settings wonderfully creepy and the choice of morally ambiguous branching endings unfolds in a really interesting way. However, to get the "TRUE" (optional) ending, you have to do an incredible amount of backbreaking work, but you get Dante along the way.

Here's an AWESOME clip from the Japanese version with Raidou instead of Dante, to give you a sense of the atmosphere.

Hey now, Maken X was a very interesting experience and experiment....but an fps on the dreamcast controller......

Young Magus

One of the things about Nocturne I like is that it has a kick-ass soundtrack

Sophia

First boss? You mean the first fiend? The first boss is Forneus and I don't think he's gonna destroy anyone, even on hard. >_>;

Top Bottom