• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Noi

Yeah you might have a Shadow just randomly attack your protagonist with a normal attack and do 400 damage instantly killing him with no forewarning. :D

I am in no way speaking from experience of what happened an hour ago. Oh no...

;_;

Jintor

Huh... I already have the Japanese official design works, but maybe I should try and get a hold of the Udon translation as well as the Club P4...

Young Magus

Are you doing New Game Plus? It's real easy if you're carrying over stats. If not, you'll need to plan your stats leveling out a bit. Make sure to take advantage of the Mega Beef Bowl Challenge at Aiya whenever possible, and you need to practically one-day every dungeon the moment you can because some social links (Adachi's) won't progress otherwise.

Yea I'm doing NG+

Sophia

Yea I'm doing NG+

Oh, then just one day the dungeons and you should be fine. You get some benefits for having maxed out stats on a new game + mode (such as being able to score extra points with Yukiko and Chie, and start certain social links early.)

If I had been playing on Very Hard, I wouldn't be joking about it. I'd be maaaaaaaaaaad. Luckily it was just hard and only Floor 3 of the dungeon, so I lost almost no progress. :D

Huh... I already have the Japanese official design works, but maybe I should try and get a hold of the Udon translation as well as the Club P4...

For Club P4, I could probably take a few pics and see if it's to your liking.

As I mentioned before, I also got the P4 Anime visuals book and perfect guide. Visual works looks good, since it's really just visual pieces from the anime, not super spoilery, but a few random pieces here and there.

Perfect Guide is definitely on the spoilery side, since it deals with the true ending (depicted in the anime) and a Naoto sidestory.

Sophia

I feel your pain my one shotted friends. Megaten giveth, as fast as Megaten taketh away.

I still remember the first time I played vanilla Persona 3. Lost a considerable amount of progress in the second section of Tartarus because Junpei blocked my way and I ended up talking to him instead of hitting the Shadow. Enemy Advantage, killed before I had a turn.

Dantis

Hardest (Not-superboss) fight I've seen in a MegaTen game is the second to last boss in DDS2.

Hoooooly gwack.

I still remember the first time I played vanilla Persona 3. Lost a considerable amount of progress in the second section of Tartarus because Junpei blocked my way and I ended up talking to him instead of hitting the Shadow. Enemy Advantage, killed before I had a turn.

P3 drove me mad when I fought the Heirophant boss. Charm + Heartbreaker = I want to snap my disc.

Sophia

P3 drove me mad when I fought the Heirophant boss. Charm + Heartbreaker = I want to snap my disc.

That's Lovers, not Hierophant, and yeah those two are frustrating ones. Luckily made much easier if you just make your protagonist play support and use items to remove charm and fear. >_>;

Dantis

Oh my GOD. That fucking thing. I basically had to go back and grind out the mantra I needed to deal with him. ;P

That's exactly what I had to do, and I had none of it. It took literally hours.

Pretty sure that fight is impossible without debilitate.

That's Lovers, not Hierophant, and yeah those two are frustrating ones. Luckily made much easier if you just make your protagonist play support and use items to remove charm and fear. >_>;

Yeah, I get them confused because they're on the same night.

Items was my plan, but if the protag gets charmed, you're sometimes just screwed. Setting the AI to support is useless for curing charms too. It just heals.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
That's exactly what I had to do, and I had none of it. It took literally hours.

Pretty sure that fight is impossible without debilitate.

I remember the first time fighting him and I was like, haha OK shoot your attack.

*Team Wipe*

:|

Dantis

I remember the first time fighting him and I was like, haha OK shoot your attack.

*Team Wipe*

:|

What was his Almighty attack called? Black something.

Good lord. So mean. :(

EDIT: Apparently it was Black Bhakti to power up, and then Viraj Blade to attack. Absolutely brutal fight.

Noi

My most frustrating moment in SMT happened in P3FES. Fighting Nyx underleveled, somehow managed to get him to the death phase. Right as I'm about to land the killing blow, Nyx uses Night Queen (I think) and charms Mitsuru, whose turn was next.

Diarahan on Nyx. I promptly turned off my console and called it a night.

Dantis

My most frustrating moment in SMT happened in P3FES. Fighting Nyx underleveled, somehow managed to get him to the death phase. Right as I'm about to land the killing blow, Nyx uses Night Queen (I think) and charms Mitsuru, whose turn was next.

Haha, my friend had that happen twice in one fight.

He was really, really mad. I found it pretty funny. :p

Persona 3 spoilers dont click if no want spoilers, also, dont wear headphones while watching this or turn it down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsoBNs_mNsM

Bullza2o

I'm so confused/pissed right now. Late December spoilers:

I just beat Adachi and the eyeball, which took quite some time. Now I'm past the New Years.

The main problem is somehow I can't save anymore. When I go to the save point, all 16 slots are missing and it "save failed" every time I try to. Am I screwed, or is there some way to recover it?

stktt

Banned
Alright, I finally beat
Adachi and Sagari.
It could be because my team was covered in buffs and magic walls, but the entire dungeon was easier than expected.

I wasn't able to complete Marie's social link. Does that lock me out of the True Ending?

I just beat Adachi and the eyeball, which took quite some time. Now I'm past the New Years.

The main problem is somehow I can't save anymore. When I go to the save point, all 16 slots are missing and it "save failed" every time I try to. Am I screwed, or is there some way to recover it?

I'm at the same point and can still save the game.

Squire

Banned
Alright, I finally beat
Adachi and Sagari.
It could be because my team was covered in buffs and magic walls, but the entire dungeon was easier than expected.

I wasn't able to complete Marie's social link. Does that lock me out of the True Ending?

I'm at the same point and can still save the game.

It locks you out of her dungeon and the epilogue. You can still get the True Ending, though.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Alright, I finally beat
Adachi and Sagari.

No, just the epilogue. You can still get the true ending, provided you
Don't go home when it prompts you to.

Sophia

That's usually a sign of a corrupted save on the vanilla version of Persona 4. :(

Sophia

Am I safe to assume I will be able to level all my social links to maximum or do I have to be really picky about who I am advancing?

If it's a first playthrough, you may not get all of them to maximum by the end of the game. What ending you get plays a factor in how much time you have too. You do have to be somewhat picky.

Am I safe to assume I will be able to level all my social links to maximum or do I have to be really picky about who I am advancing?
Unless you follow a guide incredibly precisely (which I don't recommend), you will max some and merely start others.

That's the charm of life, brudder. Hang out with who you want to, regret not the decisions that could have been.

SmithnCo

Most likely not, as some of the responses in the links give you more or less notes, and it can be hard to tell which are right without a guide. This could really speed up the process. Plus, some of them are picky with the days you can hang. You will be able to max a majority of them without a guide though.

Sallokin

Is there a comprehensive book guide somewhere that tells you how to get all books? I think I missed 3 on my last play through and I can't figure out where they would have come from.

Is there a comprehensive book guide somewhere that tells you how to get all books? I think I missed 3 on my last play through and I can't figure out where they would have come from.
They were probably from quests that the guy outside the book place gives you. You have to do your sports s-links very carefully, because they'll eat up your time that certain missable book-getting opportunities are available.

This'll help a little. These might be the exact 3 books you were missing.

3 Missable Books (Strength 3, 4, 7, 8)

- 5/29 Strength Date (Need to Keep Strength at Rank 3)
- 7/15 Call, 7/17 Strength Date (Can't be on Strength 5 or 6 Basketball)
- 8/10 Strength Date (Same as before)

SmithnCo

There's missable ones for eating at Aiya 8 times, a couple from sports S Link, and one from taking a girl to the festival I believe.

The Sports S. Link one is a tad tricky because the level of the link and the Sun link both affect it.

Bullza2o

Good luck bro. Would never want to lose 65 hours of playtime

OK thankfully my last backup to my PC has the save file clocked at 54 hours (11/20 compared to around Christmas during my 65th hour).

I decided to just revert back to November and play it differently, more focusing on Social Links instead of reading useless books (because I already maxed all stats).

Still 11 hours lost. I still love the game too much to be discouraged.

Squire

Banned
You get a little trophy too (well, when you finally successfully eat the thing, which should happen around then)!

But is Aika (the owner's daughter) actually in the game? He mentions her but I never saw her.

I got the trophy, but you miss an S. Link for eating there too much? And no, Aika's not actually in the game (as much as some of us wish she was.
And datable, too.
)

I got the trophy, but you miss an S. Link for eating there too much? And no, Aika's not actually in the game (as much as some of us wish she was.
And datable, too.
)
OH, I think you/previous-poster meant that you miss a book if you DON'T eat there too much (eight times).

Right?

Also Aika s-link would be sad. Forced to drop out of school for the sake of her job, live on the road, always at the whim of Chie, her sole customer.

Squire

Banned
Aika was the biggest surprise for me in the anime lol

The scene when they're tailing kanji is god damn hilarious

They could've left out Marie and done some interesting things with Aika.

• Make Aiya a part-time job
  • That opens up Aika S. Link
  • MC goes on deliveries with Aika in her S. Link
  • She's datable
  • Aiya job gives you money, but also a discount when you eat at Aiya yourself.

Aika was the biggest surprise for me in the anime lol

The scene when they're tailing kanji is god damn hilarious
I thiiiiiiiiiiiiink that's also only the official crossover between the anime and P4G? I mean, other than the obvious stuff from their shared P4 Vanilla ancestor.

They didn't even change Yu's swim trunks to purple and green like in the anime.

Also as sad as I am to admit it, the
homosexual implications of Kanji
are MUCH less pronounced in the original game, than the anime and Arena. Not to open THAT can of worms again.

Jintor

I actually find Marie okay in and of herself. The main problem is she's just not integrated into the main story well enough, or, well, at all. Hell, she's barely integrated well into the Velvet Room stuff; she just kind of sits there for the most part. Igor doesn't even acknowledge she exists. (Well, I assume that's because he's almost entirely voiced and they didn't bother getting the English VA back; I know the Japanese VA passed away a while back)

Also her fucking poems are teeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrribleeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sophia

• That opens up Aika S. Link
  • She's datable

Why do I have the feeling that such a social link would be unusually awkward and hilarious?

I actually find Marie okay in and of herself. The main problem is she's just not integrated into the main story well enough, or, well, at all. Hell, she's barely integrated well into the Velvet Room stuff; she just kind of sits there for the most part. Igor doesn't even acknowledge she exists. (Well, I assume that's because he's almost entirely voiced and they didn't bother getting the English VA back; I know the Japanese VA passed away a while back)

Also her fucking poems are teeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrribleeeeeeeeeeeeee

Seems like Marie's entire problem comes from the fact that Igor's voice actor passed away. :\

Squire

Banned
I actually enjoyed Marie's S. Link (as cliched as it is) and it seems fairly well (if obviously) integrated, though I didn't play P4 vanilla.

I just like Aika way more. Which is probably a little silly since she's basically a joke.

Why do I have the feeling that such a social link would be unusually awkward and hilarious?

It would! It would be hilarious! You could make deliveries to investigation team members! It'd be awesome!

Dresden

yeah, woulda preferred Aika over Marie. The latter doesn't really serve a purpose and she's not particularly appealing anyways... she's designed to be awkward, but isn't interesting, and the bad poetry might be intentional but it doesn't make it any less annoying when you trigger yet another one while going into the room.

Top Bottom