• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Kazzy

I'm really glad I managed to cross over the threshold for the "Jester" S-Link...

The moment when you get the opportunity to confront Adachi by yourself was unexpected, and then that's followed by the arcana 'breaking' to reveal "The Hunger". So cool.

And I'm glad they added the opportunity for this confrontation, particularly as he views himself as the other side of the coin, being analogous to Yu. I always thought that they could have done more in the original game with that aspect, past them possessing the same Persona.

Dantis

Haha, you have and I agreed. It's the most bizarre moment of self-betrayal in regards to game design o_O

I read ages ago that it wasn't made by the P4 level designers (Which would make sense, considering none of the rest of the content is by the P4 team). So that would explain why it's so different.

Squire

Banned
Marie's OK. I enjoyed my time with her, had some decent laughs, but she's nothing to write home about. If I didn't want the epilogue again, I'd be straight-up ignoring her on this run.

And I still think her resources would've better spent on an Aika S. Link. They do so much with fanservice, her physical absence is a borderline oversight.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I spent Valentines with Naoto. That delivery on her last line. Geeze.

And then Nanako tried to kill me so I couldn't leave the house.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I finished the game. Kind of bummed out that it had to end. The characters were almost all likeable, and most of the ones I didn't like, I didn't hate either. It's kind of a bummer that this games only real 'sequel' is a fighting game that doesn't even play to most of the game's strengths.

I'll just live in my dream bubble where Yu and Naoto become married detective team.

Also, helped a ton that the thing was on Vita. I probably never would have invested as much time on a console.

...Maybe you are crazy after all.

That might push her to indifference. In general, I didn't like her or how she fit into the narrative (obviously a Marie spoiler)
especially that she's a shell of Izanami. Why? The way it's explained and her ties to the Sagiri just convolutes things

Also, her poems suck

Dantis

I still haven't done much of the story mode, but the character interactions before fights and the announcer practically keep me in stitches.

Really? What are you referring to specifically? I don't remember the announcer even saying much, let alone anything funny.

Squire

Banned
Really? What are you referring to specifically? I don't remember the announcer even saying much, let alone anything funny.

In Arcade mode he says everyone's title before you fight them, he opens the match with a line (ex: "Can you feel the drama?!") and closes with a line when you win and get your score.

It's Travis Willingham. He's awesome!

Dantis

In Arcade mode he says everyone's title before you fight them, he opens the match with a line (ex: "Can you feel the drama?!") and closes with a line when you win and get your score.

It's Travis Willingham. He's awesome!

It's Patrick Seitz, actually. :p

And that has you in stitches? o_O

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Need story DLC. So I can send texts to Yosuke to tell Kanji to back off my woman when he finally hits puberty.

But I also like to entertain the idea when Yu gets back to the city, he just tells all his school friends about the weirdo hicks in Inaba that would never let him talk.

Just starting this game. What's the best difficulty for a casual gamer? I was thinking of picking Very Easy, but I don't want a brainless play through. I remember Persona 3 kicking my ass a couple of times in Easy mode.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope in the next Persona they make more jerk dialogue options. Say what you will about the anime, but some of the stuff Yu says it is so cold blooded that I'm bummed out there aren't more options in the game like that. Such as, 'you suck' and 'not at night'

Just starting this game. What's the best difficulty for a casual gamer? I was thinking of picking Very Easy, but I don't want a brainless play through. I remember Persona 3 kicking my ass a couple of times in Easy mode.

I played the whole way through on Very Easy, but I really didn't have fun with the combat, so that's why I did it. I didn't die once, but I did have to heal every so often until the higher levels when everyone healed constantly.

I hope in the next Persona they make more jerk dialogue options. Say what you will about the anime, but some of the stuff Yu says it is so cold blooded that I'm bummed out there aren't more options in the game like that. Such as, 'you suck' and 'not at night'

I felt the anime was cold blooded to Kanji after accepting him and then they go on the camping trip and he was quite a jerk to him during the tent, just to play as a laugh.

Dantis

I'd rather not have this to be honest. It goes against the themes of the games completely.

Kazzy

A lot of the things he says in the Anime are dialogue options in the game, though not everything. And to deliberately work character actions in (bad) such as that seems contrary to the game, where you are encouraged to foster good relationships. Sure, there have been blunt dialogue options in the past, but they are nearly always positioned as a means to an end, delivering a harsh truth for example, rather than existing as a function to being an abject dick.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A lot of the things he says in the Anime are dialogue options in the game, though not everything. And to deliberately work character actions in (bad) such as that seems contrary to the game, where you are encouraged to foster good relationships. Sure, there have been blunt dialogue options in the past, but they are nearly always positioned as a means to an end, delivering a harsh truth for example, rather than existing as a function to being an abject dick.

But most of them are positive in a poking fun sense. A lot of the options you have with Yosuke can be seen as being a 'jerk', but it's just how your relationship is with him. Teddie and Kanji are the same way.

Kazzy

But most of them are positive in a poking fun sense. A lot of the options you have with Yosuke can be seen as being a 'jerk', but it's just how your relationship is with him. Teddie and Kanji are the same way.

Which is fine, but I thought you were suggesting that there should be "bad" dialogue, in so much that you could pursue a negative S-link with someone. I suppose that could be interesting, but sort of flies in the face of the themes put forward by these games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The one that makes you a psychopath is the Adachi one, if only because you basically have to agree that talking to people is a pain and that everyone else is a waste of time.

Ayane's is weird because you have to be mean to her, but it still fits in with the other ones at least.

Kazzy

The one that makes you a psychopath is the Adachi one, if only because you basically have to agree that talking to people is a pain and that everyone else is a waste of time.

Ayane's is weird because you have to be mean to her, but it still fits in with the other ones at least.

I don't know, with Yu it seems more of that youthful aloofness, if he did indeed agree with what is being said. But Adachi seems genuinely
nihilistic in his outlook.

Ayane needs to be knocked out of her apathy, so that never seemed egregious to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know, with Yu it seems more of that youthful aloofness, if he did indeed agree with what is being said. But Adachi seems genuinely
nihilistic in his outlook.

Ayane needs to be knocked out of her apathy, so that never seemed egregious to me.
Yeah, but think about what happens with Adachi and how that relates to your own experience with the Death S-link. It's basically the exact same situation, but handled completely differently.

Of course, the parallels between the two characters fit with how the game turns out...
but you basically have to tell Adachi that being bothered by an old lady sucks while you then go and tell this old lady what she wants to hear about her dead husband.

It's just a bit weird.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And since I've finished it, I can say. What a good looking game. Like the new models look good, and everything just looks so sharp on that OLED. I know people like to talk about how impressive Virtual Tennis, Uncharted, and Wipeout are on the Vita, but something about P4G is just so vibrant on the Vita.

Dantis

And since I've finished it, I can say. What a good looking game. Like the new models look good, and everything just looks so sharp on that OLED. I know people like to talk about how impressive Virtual Tennis, Uncharted, and Wipeout are on the Vita, but something about P4G is just so vibrant on the Vita.

The models are the same as the PS2 one.

I don't hate Marie, but I sure don't care about her like I care about the rest ofthe games cast...though aside fromhermoreannoyingtraits she's ok overall I guess....if cliche. I like her slink so far, not because of her, but because so far, I have gotten to see more scenes of the investigation team chillin out , maxin, relaxin all cool. And all shootin some bball outside of the school. When a couple of guys, who were up to no good, Started makin trouble in da neighborhood, I got in one lil fight and my mom got scared and said, "Your movin in with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air."

Kazzy

Yeah, but think about what happens with Adachi and how that relates to your own experience with the Death S-link. It's basically the exact same situation, but handled completely differently.

Of course, the parallels between the two characters fit with how the game turns out...
but you basically have to tell Adachi that being bothered by an old lady sucks while you then go and tell this old lady what she wants to hear about her dead husband.

It's just a bit weird.

I guess there may be some dissonance there, but I don't think the situations are all that similar, minus the parties involved.
Hisano assumes the moniker of "Death" literally thinking of herself in those terms, a lot of which is tinged with guilt around how she reacted to her husbands condition, and his subsequent passing. Adachi is bitter at the world for "dealing him a bad hand", in that much of his rationale is based around the fact that he fits the mould of the "ideal" working citizen, and feels his status should reflect that, yet he finds himself "stuck in the boonies". Adachi functions on a twisted ideology , and seems perfectly cognitive of how he reached this juncture, whereas Hisano has is trapped in her emotions/ the past.

I never saw it as one in the same, the old lady encountered with Adachi is simply being friendly and functioning to highlight that general apathy towards his everyday life, and Yu's actions equate to largely joking around that.
Obviously this is before the darker undertones of his behaviour becomes apparent. So I think if there is any weirdness, it is by virtue of existing as part of a story we are already privy to.

Oh god, I finally got this game. I really wanted to buy it two months ago but my boyfriend told me that someone was giving me a copy on christmas and I had to wait all this time to play it.

Today is the day.

jiggles

Banned
So it's my last full day in Inaba.

Can anyone tell me, with no spoilers, what I should be doing to get the True Ending?

And is there any merit in going for the Good Ending at this point?

So it's my last full day in Inaba.

Can anyone tell me, with no spoilers, what I should be doing to get the True Ending?

And is there any merit in going for the Good Ending at this point?

When it tells you to return home, don't do it then go to Junes and then figure it out yourself from there XD.

I never saw it as one in the same, the old lady encountered with Adachi is simply being friendly and functioning to highlight that general apathy towards his everyday life, and Yu's actions equate to largely joking around that.
Obviously this is before the darker undertones of his behaviour becomes apparent. So I think if there is any weirdness, it is by virtue of existing as part of a story we are already privy to.
I think part of it too, in that if you take that s-link all the way to it's logical conclusion
the accomplice ending runs completely against the characterization that game has been pointing you in. In that ending, APPARENTLY Yu/you couldn't care less that Adachi almost killed all your friends. The ending is awesome grim because of it, but it would have been much much harder to integrate even the possibility of Yu's/your evil personality into the game, outside of agreeing with Adachi for everyone to lay off him with their boring rural problems.

I didn't find it very funny at all outside of Teddie's story. :/
Awww, you seriously didn't smirk at all when
Yukiko killed everyone with her cooking in the bad end?
Chie fought Akihito for the last steak bowl?
Yu has the option to wink at Kanji when Mitsuru tells them to go home, and Kanji just blushes
Yosuke's rumored love of nurses
Kanji thinking everything was a dream
Elizabeth's "Flute? Flu? Chimneys? Something to that effect" manner of speaking
Prior to their fight Yukiko thought Yosuke kept demanding to wash her back
Yosuke: That Nanako-chan! What a dummy, right!? Yu: That's it... your life is forfeit!
Akihito running into Kanji, and immediately telling him to take off his clothes
Not even the faintest Yukiko snnrk?

Edit:
When it tells you to return home, don't do it then go to Junes and then figure it out yourself from there XD.
Also obvious, but SAVE IN A NEW SLOT, just in case something goes wrong!

I think part of it too, in that if you take that s-link all the way to it's logical conclusion
the accomplice ending runs completely against the characterization that game has been pointing you in. In that ending, APPARENTLY Yu/you couldn't care less that Adachi almost killed all your friends. The ending is awesome grim because of it, but it would have been much much harder to integrate even the possibility of Yu's/your evil personality into the game, outside of agreeing with Adachi for everyone to lay off him with their boring rural problems.

Yu has the option to wink at Kanji when Mitsuru tells them to go home, and Kanji just blushes
Yosuke: That Nanako-chan! What a dummy, right!? Yu: That's it... your life is forfeit!

Edit:

Also obvious, but SAVE IN A NEW SLOT, just in case something goes wrong!

Kanjis whole alt story split is hilarous and Kanji acts like a damn boss.

Dantis

They're not as blurry.

Meshes work with vectors, which are just points on a grid. The space between point is filled and that created what we see onscreen. At their base level, a 3D model is a list of coordinates. Blurriness is down to the resolution that the device renders at.

The models themselves are the same (For the most part).

I absolutely hated all of this. Thanks for reminding me why I'm so negative about Arena.

Top Bottom