• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

I remember looking at the character models in the PS2 pre-order artbook, and lamenting over how great they looked there compared to how blurry they were in game.

Lo and behold several Christmases later, Mom must have heard me and left a present in my Vita's framebuffer.

Meshes work with vectors, which are just points on a grid. The space between point is filled and that created what we see onscreen. At their base level, a 3D model is a list of coordinates. Blurriness is down to the resolution that the device renders at.

The models themselves are the same (For the most part).

I absolutely hated all of this. Thanks for reminding me why I'm so negative about Arena.

Some of that does suck, some of it is no worse than whats found in the normal P4.

Dantis

I remember looking at the character models in the PS2 pre-order artbook, and lamenting over how great they looked there compared to how blurry they were in game.

Lo and behold several Christmases later, Mom must have heard me and left a present in my Vita's framebuffer.

It's surprising how solid Persona 4's visual assets are. You'd never know it unless you looked really hard at the PS2 version.

Some of that does suck, some of it is no worse than whats found in the normal P4.

Some, but not much. A lot of it straight up doesn't make sense.

It's surprising how solid Persona 4's visual assets are. You'd never know it unless you looked really hard at the PS2 version.

Some, but not much. A lot of it straight up doesn't make sense.

well its not supposed to, its supposed to be all dialed up to 11. Part of the plot.

Omikaru

This should be the only dungeon where you should do it later. As soon as you finish it, the game skips forward in time.

Heed this man's advice. Make sure you beat the dungeon on December 22nd, especially if you're romancing someone, and remember not to clear it even a day before or it skips forward to December 23rd. The days you'd otherwise miss are perfectly good ones which you can use to advance your social links.

So I just got into January and this is where I've realised this game is less of a director's cut and more like an extended edition. A whole extra month and a new dungeon and another level of social links for each of the party members is amazing. All the additions have made this version of the game my favourite game of all time.

Did you try for it or did it just come randomly? Any tips?

Well I won't lie and say I haven't been grinding a lot, so that probably just added a bunch of lines without me noticing.

Using everyone helps a lot too and making sure they actually get some action in battle.

Near the end before getting the trophy, I was basically allowing the enemy to try and kill off my party. If the enemy had a skill that could hit a weakness, weaken a stat or cause a status I would allow them to try and pull if off which definitely added some lines.

Dantis

What the hell am I reading? How could you not laugh at the second to last one on that list? It's one of the funniest moments in Persona 4 Arena. o_o

Like I say, it makes no sense (And isn't funny :/).

This is meant to be a canonical sequel (Allegedly), but that's the reason they're beating the shit out of each other? :/

If his response was just a smack around the head, it'd be okay, but as the basis of the whole game, it's pretty pathetic.

The whole thing reads like a fan-fiction.

This is meant to be a canonical sequel (Allegedly), but that's the reason they're beating the shit out of each other? :/
There is no logical way to ever justify Kanji just utterly wailing on Yukiko.

Hence the idea that he thinks
it's a dream is PERFECT.

Sophia

If his response was just a smack around the head, it'd be okay, but as the basis of the whole game, it's pretty pathetic.

The whole thing reads like a fan-fiction.

... I'm starting to wonder if you've even read the story mode at all now? I know the game isn't out where you're at, but it makes perfect sense in context. You don't even know the reason why they're edging each other on?

There is no logical way to ever justify Kanji just utterly wailing on Yukiko.

Hence the idea that he thinks
it's a dream is PERFECT.

Nevermind that, but it's almost not even a spoiler
to mention that it's the illusion effect of that particular Midnight Channel dungeon edging them on.

I am going overboard with the spoiler tags, ever since I inadvertently spoiled the hell out of P4 in a LTTP thread.

In trying to save that original poster from spoilers, I spoiled way too much. I burned the village to save the village.

Also in Arena, Naoto instantly seeing through the ruse was one of the best pieces of fan service in the game.

Sophia

I am going overboard with the spoiler tags, ever since I inadvertently spoiled the hell out of P4 in a LTTP thread.

In trying to save that original poster from spoilers, I spoiled way too much. I burned the village to save the village.

Also in Arena, Naoto instantly seeing through the ruse was one of the best pieces of fan service in the game.

I was just under the implication that Dantis read the story mode already, or at least had a general idea of it, so him saying it makes no sense throws his entire opinion into question. :p

Dantis

... I'm starting to wonder if you've even read the story mode at all now? I know the game isn't out where you're at, but it makes perfect sense in context. You don't even know the reason why they're edging each other on?

You're not getting what I'm saying.

They're hearing twisted versions of each other, right? Which is fine. I mean, it's silly, but whatever. But the things they say aren't bad, they're just weird. Yosuke knocks Nanako (Which Yu doesn't find remotely out of character), so Yu tries to kill him? Get out of town. And the Yosuke and nurses thing? That's why Yosuke fights Yu, as I recall? Awful.

What happens in Arena doesn't make sense within the world, and that's why I don't like it. They take these well-written, very believable characters, grab their most prominent joke-centric character traits, and base a rather silly plot around it. And then Hashino goes and say "We're making a proper sequel" and everyone declares it canon.

Dantis was born without a funny bone. He doesn't play Yakuza for the funny substories either. :mad:

I just have no interest in zany Japanese humour.

Sophia

They're hearing twisted versions of each other, right? Which is fine. I mean, it's silly, but whatever. But the things they say aren't bad, they're just weird. Yosuke knocks Nanako (Which Yu doesn't find remotely out of character), so Yu tries to kill him? Get out of town. And the Yosuke and nurses thing? That's why Yosuke fights Yu, as I recall? Awful.

That scene is from Yosuke's story mode and LONG after he knows about the illusion effect. He's goading the (now failing spectacularly) illusion version of Yu into fighting him, because that's the only way to end the effect. And the Nurses thing is something Teddie says early on that gets carried as a running joke...

You've taken it completely out of context to support your own opinion. :p

That scene is from Yosuke's story mode and LONG after he knows about the illusion effect. He's goading the illusion version of Yu into fighting him, because that's the only way to end the effect. And the Nurses thing is something Teddie says early on that gets carried as a running joke...

Yes, he is missing the context. It makes well enough sense in the actual game. And I meant only some of them are dumb, others are pretty damn funny.

Noi

What happens in Arena doesn't make sense within the world, and that's why I don't like it. They take these well-written, very believable characters, grab their most prominent joke-centric character traits, and base a rather silly plot around it. And then Hashino goes and say "We're making a proper sequel" and everyone declares it canon.

Re: spoiler, you aren't remembering that fight correctly at all.

On Yosuke's side, Yosuke fights Yu because he's already figured out that something is off about everyone when he first meets them after fighting Chie and Yukiko. He eggs him on so he can get it over with.

On Yu's side, he immediately recognizes that something is off about the way Yosuke is acting. He believes that Yosuke is egging him on on purpose, wondering if he's being controlled or something. The "nurse" bit only pops up as a joke between them after they've already fought.

Dantis

That scene is from Yosuke's story mode and LONG after he knows about the illusion effect. He's goading the (now failing spectacularly) illusion version of Yu into fighting him, because that's the only way to end the effect. And the Nurses thing is something Teddie says early on that gets carried as a running joke...

Is it? Doesn't something very, very similar happen right at the start of Yu's story mode?

Because that's what I was referring to.

Re: spoiler, you aren't remembering that fight correctly at all.

Yosuke fights Yu on his side because he's already figured out that something is off about everyone when he first meets them after fighting Chie and Yukiko. He eggs him on so he can get it over with.

On Yu's side, he immediately recognizes that something is off about the way Yosuke is acting. He believes that Yosuke is egging him on on purpose, wondering if he's being controlled or something. The "nurse" bit only pops up as a joke between them after they've already fought.

...Really?

Hmm...

Sophia

...Really?

Hmm...

Yeah each person sees something different. It's a twisted version of the person they're fighting based upon their thoughts. In everyone's story mode at some point or another, the illusion effect starts failing (and in Yu's case, this happens very early on) because things aren't going the way Shadow Labrys wants them to.

Basically the second they get into the tv world, everything they hear the others say, they are not actually saying, its all warped by a certain malevolent entity.

Dantis

Yeah each person sees something different. It's a twisted version of the person they're fighting based upon their thoughts. In everyone's story mode at some point or another, the illusion effect starts failing (and in Yu's case, this happens very early on) because things aren't going the way Shadow Labrys wants them to.

That's weird.
I could swear I remember Yu and Yosuke getting mad at each other. I guess I'm just misremembering it? There's literally no other reason it could be.

Basically the second they get into the tv world, everything they hear the others say, they are not actually saying, its all warped by a certain malevolent entity.

Mhmm, I know. I watched all the parts of the first story modes, and three of the true ending things.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

It was part of Labrys' power, the malevolent entity was the who set her up to get thrown into the TV , to try to turn the personae back into more powerful shadows. He's the perpetrator, but not exactly the one who was warping things.

It was part of Labrys' power, the malevolent entity was the who set her up to get thrown into the TV , to try to turn the personae back into more powerful shadows. He's the perpetrator, but not exactly the one who was warping things.
Yes, Labrys,
unbeknownst to her for most of the story, was an infiltration robot, and so the deception of her shadow world plays into that.

It's a far more graceful story for a fighting game than I could ever concieve.

Noi

That's weird.
I could swear I remember Yu and Yosuke getting mad at each other. I guess I'm just misremembering it? There's literally no other reason it could be.

You're remembering it right, but in the wrong context.
"Fake" Yu gets mad at Yosuke because he mutters how "pathetic" Nanako is to egg him into fighting. Yu also shouts at Yosuke when he's about to give up against Shadow Yosuke, but that's more about support than him being mad. That's it. The real selves never get mad at each other.

Sophia

That's weird.
I could swear I remember Yu and Yosuke getting mad at each other. I guess I'm just misremembering it? There's literally no other thing it could be.

Nope, nothing like that happens once the illusion is gone. In Yosuke's story mode, both of them know about the illusion effect at that point, so things go back to normal once the fight is over. In Yu's story mode, he almost immediately picks up on the fact that Yosuke is never intentionally malicious like this.

Yea it has been awhile, maybe I should replay it after I finish P4G.
I hate you all XD, at least you can play it and discuss the game, so please stop the Arena discussion lol.

I hate Index co. stupid region locking so much; I think I'm gonna buy a 2nd hand copy unless there's a special edition thing =S

Would you guys recommend me to get the game and play through it or YouTube it?

Sophia

I hate you all XD, at least you can play it and discuss the game, so please stop the Arena discussion lol.

I hate Index co. stupid region locking so much; I think I'm gonna buy a 2nd hand copy unless there's a special edition thing =S

Depends on how much you like fighting games. It's a lot easier to get into than most fighting games, and the story alone is worth the price of admission.

Of course, if you're in Europe, you're probably just better off watching the story on YouTube because not even Philemon knows when you'll get the damn game. :\

I replayed Aigis's story mode before I started P4G. This time with the Japanese voice acting. :3
I was shocked how low she rated on that poll of "favorite persona characters" from..... famitsu(?).

You'd think she'd automatically get a top spot with Maaya Sakamoto voicing her.

Sweet christ, get the game if you can break international law to secure a copy that'll play on your system! The story mode is 20 some hours long and requires reading it at your own pace for maximum emotional impact.

Dat Labrys route. T_T

Dantis

Sweet christ, get the game if you can break international law to secure a copy that'll play on your system! The story mode is 20 some hours long and requires reading it at your own pace for maximum emotional impact.

Dat Labrys route. T_T

Youtube videos are pretty fine for it to be honest. I don't feel like I lost anything in watching them.

Sophia

I was shocked how low she rated on that poll of "favorite persona characters" from..... famitsu(?).

You'd think she'd automatically get a top spot with Maaya Sakamoto voicing her.

I believe she did before in a previous poll if I'm not mistaken? That last poll was rather biased with all the Persona 4 related materials going around. Narukami taking the top spot and all. :p

Youtube videos are pretty fine for it to be honest. I don't feel like I lost anything in watching them.

At the very least, watch them in order. Yu/Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko first. Then Teddie/Kanji. Then Mitusuru/Aigis/Akihiko/Naoto. Then Labrys. Then Elizabeth.

Not that shocking.
She got her own (disappointing) semi-spinoff.

I guess we can look forward to P4: The Answer starring Yosuke, based on that bizarro poll.

Edit: Here are the results

Character - Number of votes

1. Yu (P4 MC) - 1451
2. Yosuke - 1139
3. Naoto - 834
4. Chie - 705
5. P3 MC - 574
6. Aigis - 512
7. Nanako - 412
8. Yukiko - 408
8. Teddie - 408
10. Shinjiro - 302
11. Rise - 297
12. Kanji - 286
13. Mitsuru - 230
14. Koromaru - 215
15. Adachi - 214
16. P3 FeMC - 191
17. Elizabeth - 171
18. Akihiko - 166
19. Tatsuya (P2:IS MC) - 156
20. Yukari - 138
21. P1 MC
22. Reiji
23. Fuuka
24. Theodore
25. Dojima
26. Labrys

Persona 1/2 is a bummer.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's kind of weird in the epilogue that
Naoto dresses more feminine
when it's only a few months after Arena. That was quite a drastic shift. Also, why couldn't Yu get a haircut too?

Depends on how much you like fighting games. It's a lot easier to get into than most fighting games, and the story alone is worth the price of admission.

Of course, if you're in Europe, you're probably just better off watching the story on YouTube because not even Philemon knows when you'll get the damn game. :
I know we have a release date for Golden but not even a bit of news for Arena; at least they know European fans are pissed off by their twitter telling people how much fun it is etc and stopped tweeting tornuments about it.

='( Runs off the YouTube lol, though I think I'll be okay for now, I would like to play the game so that I'm motivated to play through the story else it'll kill my interest to complete the game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
She got her own (disappointing) semi-spinoff.

I guess we can look forward to P4: The Answer starring Yosuke, based on that bizarro poll.

Edit: Here are the results

Character - Number of votes

1. Yu (P4 MC) - 1451
2. Yosuke - 1139
3. Naoto - 834
4. Chie - 705
5. P3 MC - 574
6. Aigis - 512
7. Nanako - 412
8. Yukiko - 408
8. Teddie - 408
10. Shinjiro - 302
11. Rise - 297
12. Kanji - 286
13. Mitsuru - 230
14. Koromaru - 215
15. Adachi - 214
16. P3 FeMC - 191
17. Elizabeth - 171
18. Akihiko - 166
19. Tatsuya (P2:IS MC) - 156
20. Yukari - 138
21. P1 MC
22. Reiji
23. Fuuka
24. Theodore
25. Dojima
26. Labrys

Persona 1/2 is a bummer.

Ken not on list.
All is right with the world.

That's kind of weird in the epilogue that
Naoto dresses more feminine
when it's only a few months after Arena. That was quite a drastic shift. Also, why couldn't Yu get a haircut too?
Might not be a few months after Arena to be honest
Within Yosuke's dialogue he says: "Things went a little nuts last May" so taken into conjuncture it is more than likely a year after Arena and the epilogue thing is likely Summer break. So they are no longer 16/17 more like 18/19 years old.

Sophia

This is the part of the Arena story mode that I was talking about.

Plays out pretty much how I remembered it.

Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy.

Right after they jumped into the midnight channel. The illusion effect has already started. Plus note Narukami's narration. He knows something is wrong and that this isn't the Yosuke he knows.

Maya is not on the list. This list lacks positive thinking.

Let's Think Positive!

Top Bottom