• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

Right after they jumped into the midnight channel. The illusion effect has already started. Plus note Narukami's narration. He knows something is wrong and that this isn't the Yosuke he remembers.

He thinks something's off, but he still takes it seriously and feel it justifies a proper fight with Yosuke though. :/

Either way. Arena just isn't for me. Do not like.

Sophia

He thinks something's off, but he still takes it seriously and feel it justifies a proper fight with Yosuke though. :/

There's an explanation for that too, right after the fight even, but we've dragged this Arena story spoilers on too far for this topic. Maybe continue it in the Persona Spoilers topic later?

Awww....

But....

Aw.
persona4-18-nanako-tears-sad-love-family_zpsd9bc2fd3.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Akihiko sucks so much. I'm surprised he's on there when he basically has no personality. Mitsuru and Akihiko felt like the most boring characters in the world, but I figure Mitsuru's high up because bust size.

Sophia

For some reason I've never listened to/read a translation for the P3 Drama CDs. Loved the P4 ones though.

You should. With exception of Episode Luck (which was done before FES and isn't that great) they're all fantastic. Moonlight should have been a part of the game proper, given much extra story there is and how it adds to The Answer and Persona 4 Arena.

You should. With exception of Episode Luck (which was done before FES and isn't that great) they're all fantastic. Moonlight should have been a part of the game proper, given much extra story there is and how it adds to The Answer and Persona 4 Arena.
Nice, I see that they're subbed on youtube as well.

Dantis

It kinda sucks Junpei wasn't a SL for MC, instead you get that LOL I LIKE OLDER WIMMIN guy.

I thought Kenji was fine, but I guess a Junpei S Link would have been nice.

The way I've always interpreted it is that the P3 guy is a loner, so he hangs out with other loners. The weird guy who likes older women, the camp French student, the dying boy. Junpei is a pretty normal guy, so outside of group situations, it kind of makes sense that they wouldn't hang out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sports guys are in a LOT of the weekend hangout sesh's. More reason they should have used my Yu thinks Kou is Naoto in darker areas idea.

Trigger

Thanks,

How about Gale Slash for Chie? Should I get rid of Rampage or would Rampage be considered better?

Heres what I got with her so far:

Counter
Tarukaja
Bufu
Skull Cracker
Mabufu
Rebellion
Ice Boost
Rampage

Rampage is better. I would just not take Gale Slash, IMO.

I'm just about to start July, and most of my social links are around the 4-6 range, with 4 of them being at 1, and one of them being at 3. Am I "behind" on these, or is there more than enough time to get them pretty high/max them out?

Thanks,

How about Gale Slash for Chie? Should I get rid of Rampage or would Rampage be considered better?
If it eases your stress at all, the late game skills get progressively more important by comparison, and you can always re-learn old skills after a certain point by doing an event with a character.

Trigger

I'm just about to start July, and most of my social links are around the 4-6 range, with 4 of them being at 1, and one of them being at 3. Am I "behind" on these, or is there more than enough time to get them pretty high/max them out?

You'll probably max most of them out by the game's end. There are some tricky ones that are easy to start, but hard to max. If this is your first time through just enjoy the story and save maxing everything for a second playthrough.

Alright, I folded yesterday and bought a Vita with P4 Golden. I'm nearing the end of P3: FES--I hope. I'm in mid November right now and the game is starting to drag. So. Much. Grinding. Seems like all I do lately is spend time in Tartarus leveling up the rest of my party to fight the bosses inside, not to mention cheap ass deaths from Hama and Mudo spells wasting time I've spent leveling. None of the enemies in my current block are yielding much XP either.

Can anyone, without giving to much away, let me know how much more I have left? Percentage complete maybe? So ready to be done with this game.

Just picked up volume 1 of the persona animation dub on blu ray (so forgive me if im reiterating earlier stuff that others have made) Some thoughts. I'll spoiler in case

Its pretty fun to see the social links overlap with each other in interesting ways. I also think the new Chie sounds best in the animation actually. The delivery fits very nicely.
Yu has such a deadpan sense of humor, and i love it.
Its interesting seeing the personas doing tons of combat while the characters sit back basically without their weapons. Its odd in comparison to the games, but I suppose it fits (I was hoping for a hiimdaisy-esque gag of them fitting weapons/armor under their uniforms)
Aika's addition is interesting. On the other hand, i don't like that there's no proper character development for her so far, but she shows up at awesome moments (kanji chase scene anyone?)
Adachi is quite different in the anime, his voice is higher/squeaker (i suppose to make a better differentiation between yu and himself) and he just comes off as a real slimeball moreseo than the game.
They really buffed up Mitsuo as well in the hatred category, and that whole episode was rather reminiscent of one of the bad ends. Its an interesting way they presented that episode as well (thought it was screwy).
Did Naoto's "male" voice sound that weird in the game? I guess they really tried to play up more of the whole "im posing as a guy detective" thing harder.

Overall, its been a fun romp. While the animation quality isn't all there, the ways the personas move is very kinetic and addicting, and the gags they have with Yu is a lot of fun.

Trigger

Alright, I folded yesterday and bought a Vita with P4 Golden. I'm nearing the end of P3: FES--I hope. I'm in mid November right now and the game is starting to drag. So. Much. Grinding. Seems like all I do lately is spend time in Tartarus leveling up the rest of my party to fight the bosses inside, not to mention cheap ass deaths from Hama and Mudo spells wasting time I've spent leveling. None of the enemies in my current block are yielding much XP either.

Can anyone, without giving to much away, let me know how much more I have left? Percentage complete maybe? So ready to be done with this game.

About 80%. P3:FES's plot is shorter than Golden's, but it also has a whole playable follow up in the Answer.

Just picked up volume 1 of the persona animation dub on blu ray (so forgive me if im reiterating earlier stuff that others have made) Some thoughts.

Overall, its been a fun romp. While the animation quality isn't all there, the ways the personas move is very kinetic and addicting, and the gags they have with Yu is a lot of fun.

It's worth noting that not everyone has played P4 before. You've got some spoilery stuff in your post.

Young Magus

Your about 75-85% of the way to beating it, hang in there

Just picked up volume 1 of the persona animation dub on blu ray (so forgive me if im reiterating earlier stuff that others have made) Some thoughts.

Isn't it great?
As an adaptation I think it'll confuse anyone going in blind, but there are so many great moments of fan-service, not least of which is the incredible
Yukiko backstory
they added.

It is fascinating to see how they can handle the dungeon crawling, and I think they mostly do a good job by keeping it to a minimum, and focusing all the drama on the "boss" battles. It is weird to see a full on dramatic depiction of them fighting with their Personas, but for the
Mitsuo
boss battle is absolutely awe-inspiring how the actual fighting is handled, particularly with that music.

You are REALLY close, like maybe 90% close. Although FES comes with "The Answer", which is two hours of story spread amongst 12 hours of hardcore grinding. I'd recommend putting that aside so you don't get burnt out.

And then maybe play P4G on "easy", just so you can do the dungeons in one day. If fight every enemy you come across, you'll never have to grind at that level. And actually, you can probably skip a third of the enemies and still be fine, if you manage your compendium well.

Edit: I take too long to reply! Everyone has beaten me.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Hope I didn't sound too harsh about P3 (it's a great game), but it's time to wrap things up. I'll see it through to the end as I've spent so much time with the game. No way in hell I'm touching the Answer after the Journey though. I'll check out a plot synopsis of that afterwards.

Dresden

Divine Grace for Yukiko...should I just remove Agi since I have Agilao?

What I have now:

Dia
Agi
Me Patra
Maragi
Media
Agilao
Recarm
Mudo

Typically you want to just replace spells with their upgrade, so yes, take out Agi.

In the future, stuff like Recarm is entirely replaceable by items too, so keep that in mind.

Divine Grace for Yukiko...should I just remove Agi since I have Agilao?

What I have now:
I'd say get rid of mudo. It's an expensive offensive spell that easily misses, when you need to hoard SP for healing.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Hope I didn't sound too harsh about P3 (it's a great game), but it's time to wrap things up. I'll see it through to the end as I've spent so much time with the game. No way in hell I'm touching the Answer after the Journey though. I'll check out a plot synopsis of that afterwards.
That tartarus will break anyone. P4 may still have random dungeons, but they at least have personality and change both looks and music as you go through them.

About 80%. P3:FES's plot is shorter than Golden's, but it also has a whole playable follow up in the Answer.

It's worth noting that not everyone has played P4 before. You've got some spoilery stuff in your post.

Right O. I'll just put spoilers over it to prevent any problems.

And yea one of my favorite stuff is how much more fleshed out Yukiko (and a lesser extent Chie) was thanks to their back story flashbacks.

Jintor

I dunno, keeping Yuki as a backup dark caster is a decent plan when you want to conserve MC's SP, because he always runs out (being the most versatile caster) and invigorate takes forever if you don't want to spend turn after turn guarding

You always want Divine Grace though. Yuki as a top-notch healer is nothing to sneeze at.

Personally the char who gets the most anime development is Rise. she gets that whole pre-tv episode to herself and Yu.

Personally the char who gets the most anime development is Rise. she gets that whole pre-tv episode to herself and Yu.

More evidence of her as the canon OTP.

One of only two candidates that can travel outside of Inaba with Yu, and the other one says she'll stay in town for the time being... like a sucker.

hermit doesn't need a matching persona right? Just gotta do the quests?
Yes, though note that there's an early-ish cutoff point for completing them.

EDIT: ^^I am wrong!

Dresden

I feel kind of bad I won't get a lot of non-party SLinks to 10 before the November train starts rolling. :T

i felt bad because i forgot about nanako and dojima, and their ranks are like at 8 and 9 each
before the storm hit in November
;__;

Trigger

Yeah, but
you can't fish for the guardian once it starts snowing, right? Because there's no more rainy days? Or at least I couldn't get him to show up, even though I FINALLY had those dumb beetles.

I've done it in January on both of the playthroughs I've maxed Hermit in. The guardians will still appear it just takes for-fucking-ever. :p

I've done it in January on both of the playthroughs I've maxed Hermit in. The guardians will still appear it just takes for-fucking-ever. :p
GRYEEYYEYEYAAAAAH. I guess I could have maxed that s-link then.

That terrible feeling when you have several s-links stuck at level nine at the end of the game.

poutingdojima_zpsbe962345.png

Jintor

Nanako and Dojima are easy as pie to get though, they're right where you spawn at night. Dojima's in particular is always centre-screen when you start for the night...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess there may be some dissonance there, but I don't think the situations are all that similar, minus the parties involved.
Hisano assumes the moniker of "Death" literally thinking of herself in those terms, a lot of which is tinged with guilt around how she reacted to her husbands condition, and his subsequent passing. Adachi is bitter at the world for "dealing him a bad hand", in that much of his rationale is based around the fact that he fits the mould of the "ideal" working citizen, and feels his status should reflect that, yet he finds himself "stuck in the boonies". Adachi functions on a twisted ideology , and seems perfectly cognitive of how he reached this juncture, whereas Hisano has is trapped in her emotions/ the past.

I never saw it as one in the same, the old lady encountered with Adachi is simply being friendly and functioning to highlight that general apathy towards his everyday life, and Yu's actions equate to largely joking around that.
Obviously this is before the darker undertones of his behaviour becomes apparent. So I think if there is any weirdness, it is by virtue of existing as part of a story we are already privy to.

No, I didn't have problem with Hisano.

My problem is that with Hisano, the MC treats her with moderate respect whenever he talks to her. Even the dismissive responses could be more of the "I don't understand what it's like to be old" variety. With Adachi,
he basically pretends to be kind with the old woman but despises her. He wants to keep up appearances of being "nice", but hates doing it. You get the same impression when you bring him home to meet Nanako and he talks about how he treated school like Shu (before you max S-link him and "save him")

Now, either you're a sociopath that can adapt to situations in a manner that allows you not to reveal your hand or you are just being polite with either Adachi or the rest of the people in the game (I suppose I do this when I talk to people against gay marriage or abortion and just pretend that their stances are rational).

It's just that the Adachi one is the one that stands out the most, where as the Marie one fits in fairly well with the rest of the game.

I think alternatively, they could have set up a situation of where pissing off Adachi improves your S-link and that
leads to the Hunger S-link
instead of what happens in the game as it plays out. So if you agree with him,
it stays Jester, since you are basically agreeing with the accomplice ending and if you disagree with him, it changes to hunger and your relationship deepens based on his desire to take revenge on you for being a meddling child - which fits with the rest of the game
. Like the Death S-link, it would improve either way no matter which responses you chose.

But, ah well, it's a relatively minor quibble I suppose.

----

Also, screw Hardcore Risette. I guess I'm going to save this for playthrough 2 and write down each line she says.

How they have a trophy like this but not have a count or a list is just insane. Japan comes up with the most inane trophies sometimes. :/

Jintor

Well I better get that shit fucking maxed asap. I've been waiting until rainy days to turn in fox quests because there's NOTHING ELSE TO FUCKING DO ON RAINY DAYS, everyone social links off

Top Bottom