• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Do me a favour willya: tell me what flaws this game has. It is allways praised as the second coming of Jesus in GAF and that is starting to bug me :lol. I want to hear why this game sucks so I have the right expectations when I dive into this.

I didn't get answer for this in the other thread so I'll ask this here if I get lucky this time :3. Is the game being localized by the same people that are doing P4A and should I be afraid that it gets some insane delays for EU version?

I probably should play P3FES before this anyway but my backlog that have priority over that is huuuge and I actually like my RPGs on portable systems anyway. That said I'd feel bad buying P3P when I own apparently the ''superior'' version anyway.

CSX

Do me a favour willya: tell me what flaws this game has. It is allways praised as the second coming of Jesus in GAF and that is starting to bug me :lol. I want to hear why this game sucks so I have the right expectations when I dive into this.

I didn't get answer for this in the other thread so I'll ask this here if I get lucky this time :3. Is the game being localized by the same people that are doing P4A and should I be afraid that it gets some insane delays for EU version?

I probably should play P3FES before this anyway but my backlog that have priority over that is huuuge and I actually like my RPGs on portable systems anyway. That said I'd feel bad buying P3P when I own apparently the ''superior'' version anyway.

Its localized by the same people who did P4A translation wise. However I believe the European publisher is going to different. Plus there is no region lock issue like P4A

So don't expect any insane delays

Edit: Some flaws include a slow beginning (couple of hours till first dungeon) and it's easy to unintentionally get the bad ending. Thankfully the game saves right before the decision to get it. Oh yea and its gonna suck up so many hours of your life just for one playthrough.

Sophia

The biggest two flaws are the slow beginning and the fact that some of the sidquests/social links aren't as well integrated and will probably send you looking for a guide.

All around every flaw is pretty minor, and it's debatable if P3 FES is the superior version anyhow, as both FES and Portable have their own advantages and drawbacks.

Its localized by the same people who did P4A translation wise. However I believe the European publisher is going to different. Plus there is no region lock issue like P4A

So don't expect any insane delays

Edit: Some flaws include a slow beginning (couple of hours till first dungeon) and it's easy to unintentionally get the bad ending. Thankfully the game saves right before the decision to get it. Oh yea and its gonna suck up so many hours of your life just for one playthrough.

So it does some autosave type of thing that stays for later use? Or I have to save myself and know when to keep that save? Also are any of the trophies missable? Or is it a post game hunt for them?

Sophia

So it does some autosave type of thing that stays for later use? Or I have to save myself and know when to keep that save? Also are any of the trophies missable? Or is it a post game hunt for them?

It gives you the option to save at several key spots, and warns you when you're about to make a difficult choice. Yes there are missable trophies, but the game has a fantastic New Game Plus feature and scene skip so you can easily get them on a second playthrough on Very Easy if you want. :p

And if you can't wait, you can just import the US version.

Miker

Some might disagree, but I thought the dungeon designs were pretty dull. Don't come in expecting an SNES-era JRPG dungeon like those in, say, Chrono Trigger. The dungeons in P4 are randomly generated and rarely ever go beyond being a series of themed hallways and square rooms. It makes the dungeon crawl part of it much less appealing when the dungeons themselves aren't particularly appealing.

It gives you the option to save at several key spots, and warns you when you're about to make a difficult choice. Yes there are missable trophies, but the game has a fantastic New Game Plus feature and scene skip so you can easily get them on a second playthrough on Very Easy if you want. :p

And if you can't wait, you can just import the US version.

I can handle wait for spring release. I only recently got a Vita and I have stuff to go thru before I run out of good games.

So are the trophies even obtainable on first playthrough or are some of them choice dependent or something? I'd rather get all of the missable ones on first playthrough if possible since I'm not really a fan of NG+ in most games. Then again I don't like using guides either...

Sophia

I can handle wait for spring release. I only recently got a Vita and I have stuff to go thru before I run out of good games.

So are the trophies even obtainable on first playthrough or are some of them choice dependent or something? I'd rather get all of the missable ones on first playthrough if possible since I'm not really a fan of NG+ in most games. Then again I don't like using guides either...

Not every trophy is obtainable on a first playthrough, and it's unrealistic to do so anyhow. There's an optional boss that only appears on New Game Plus. The only truly annoying trophy is the book one tho, as that requires doing specific things to get a few of them.

Some might disagree, but I thought the dungeon designs were pretty dull. Don't come in expecting an SNES-era JRPG dungeon like those in, say, Chrono Trigger. The dungeons in P4 are randomly generated and rarely ever go beyond being a series of themed hallways and square rooms. It makes the dungeon crawl part of it much less appealing when the dungeons themselves aren't particularly appealing.

I like the randomized dungeon feature, but I hope they improve upon that. Was very disappointed to see that many of Tartarus's random elements from P3 were missing, but I was glad to see more pre-designed floors.

I hope for P5 they ramp up the randomizer and increase the amount of non-randomized floors.

TWILT

Banned
Probably the main flaw about the game is it's slow intro (took me one hour to get to the first dungeon, and I know people who take as long as three). It's also a pretty long game (roughly 50-70 hours; maybe even more) for the first playthrough, though maybe you'd enjoy a long game (I do lol).

You'll need at least two playthroughs if you want to get every single trophy (there's a trophy where you can ONLY get on NG+). You should enjoy yourself on the first playthrough (playing through it normally) and follow a guide for the second playthrough (if you choose to do one).

It's actually possible to get most of the trophies on the first playthrough (max all S.Links, and read every book), but you'd have to follow a pretty strict guide for that, and I don't recommend doing that.

Sophia

Weird. I don't really get hand pains with the Vita like I do with the 3ds

I don't either unless I'm trying to make extensive use of the touchscreens. Much easier to hold and much easier to look at for extended period. Granted I take a break every 30-45 minutes or after a boss.

It's actually possible to get most of the trophies on the first playthrough (max all S.Links, and read every book), but you'd have to follow a pretty strict guide for that, and I don't recommend doing that.

Yeah it takes all the fun out of the game to do that. Go in blind in a first playthrough and do what you please, then use NG+ to get what you missed.

Probably the main flaw about the game is it's slow intro (took me one hour to get to the first dungeon, and I know people who take as long as three). It's also a pretty long game (roughly 50-70 hours; maybe even more) for the first playthrough, though maybe you'd enjoy a long game.

You'll need at least two playthroughs if you want to get every single trophy (there's a trophy where you can ONLY get on NG+). You should enjoy yourself on the first playthrough (playing through it normally) and follow a guide for the second playthrough (if you choose to do one).

So I should just do a normal playthrough first and do a trophy playthrough with guide on NG+? Got it.

There isn't a scenario that would require a third playthrough is there? :D

though maybe you'd enjoy a long game

It really depends on the game. If RPG hits with me I can play it for unnaturally long but then again some just fall flat even if they are good games. Xenoblade had this problem for me. We shall see, I find RPG games to be much easier to sit through on handhelds since even if I get bored at some point I can do bit sized gaming on bed and regain interest.

Miker

I like the randomized dungeon feature, but I hope they improve upon that. Was very disappointed to see that many of Tartarus's random elements from P3 were missing, but I was glad to see more pre-designed floors.

I hope for P5 they ramp up the randomizer and increase the amount of non-randomized floors.

My main complaint about the dungeons besides their dull design is the fact that there's nothing to discover in them. i'm not asking for sliding tile puzzles to unlock doors or even key cards (ugh Naoto's dungeon), but some degree of interactivity beyond combat would be appreciated.

Sophia

Hopefully it won't be an issue :lol. Missable trophies I despise anyway and on 50+ hour RPG or whatever it can be insufferable :(.

It's not nearly as bad as other games, and luckily it won't take you 50+ hours on New Game Plus mode. If it really bothers you, hit Very Easy for NG+ , grab some uber Personae, dominate the gameplay part, and make lots of saves. :p

Happy New Year from the East Coast.

Yup yup~!

Miker

Is there some goddamn cutoff for getting flower brooches from soul dancers? All I can find are passion clasps

Could it be that you didn't activate the quest? Once I went into the dungeon looking for some side quest fodder, and I was looking for materials for a side quest that I hadn't started yet (I was using a guide), but no matter how many times I killed the appropriate enemy, it wouldn't drop the item. Then I accepted the quest later and the item dropped immediately.

Here is how my Personae are goin right now.

Role: Battle Starter and Sp Regenerator:

20121231232132.jpg

Role: Baller as Fuck Fire and Ice Nuker Hee Ho

20121231232137.jpg

Role: Holy Almighty Wrath

20121231232123.jpg

Role: Almighty Damnation from the depths of Hell

20121231232150.jpg

Role: The Hardest Punch Around

20121231232157.jpg

Role: The Protector and the Reviver

20121231232142.jpg

Role: Jack of all Trades, Meowster of None

20121231232206.jpg

Role: Just some dude

20121231232201.jpg

Role: One Dashing Bear

20121228165736.jpg

Jintor

Could it be that you didn't activate the quest? Once I went into the dungeon looking for some side quest fodder, and I was looking for materials for a side quest that I hadn't started yet (I was using a guide), but no matter how many times I killed the appropriate enemy, it wouldn't drop the item. Then I accepted the quest later and the item dropped immediately.

It's sitting here in my quest log. I've definitely activated it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Speaking of fusion, I finally got 100% compendium.

Now to get that stupid fucking book trophy. aggggggggggghhhhh

Jintor

Maybe it's because I'm in December, but pretty much nothing is dropping quest items anymore. Oh well, I'll just write them all off

Jintor

He's a pretty decent caster/healer, but the real MVP is naoto, at least outside of boss battles

Kanji has his uses though.

Miker

Whoa whoa whoa. You didn't touch fusion at all? o_o

Damn, that's hardcore.

Not really...? I was aware of its benefits, but the system was still pretty arcane to me. I did mostly fine without it, but in retrospect, it might be why I thought Persona 4 was pretty challenging while other people call it a cakewalk.

Plus I was on the PS2 version, which is apparently a lot less user friendly compared to Golden, or so I've heard. Just so many compatibility bubbles and variables got in the way that I never figured out how to use the system to my advantage.

Sophia

Not really...? I was aware of its benefits, but the system was still pretty arcane to me. I did mostly fine without it, but in retrospect, it might be why I thought Persona 4 was pretty challenging while other people call it a cakewalk.

Plus I was on the PS2 version, which is apparently a lot less user friendly compared to Golden, or so I've heard. Just so many compatibility bubbles and variables got in the way that I never figured out how to use the system to my advantage.

Uh, yeah. I can't imagine just HOW you beat Shadow Yukiko or Shadow
Mitsuo
without fusing Personae. Those bosses are brutal.

SmithnCo

The PS2 version's fusion is definitely a lot worse, particularly because you can't choose what attacks to pass. And Vita has search, so it's less messy looking and intimidating.

Noi

One more attempt at beating MaruQ...

Shadow Teddie does Nullity Guidance and OHKOs my MC at full HP. It's NEVER done that before.

Happy New Year's PersonaGAF. ;_;

Miker

Uh, yeah. I can't imagine just HOW you beat Shadow Yukiko or Shadow
Mitsuo
without fusing Personae. Those bosses are brutal.

Both of them took me a while. I had to grind for Shadow Yukiko, and I think I got lucky for the latter because he didn't
rebuild his shell on consecutive turns
. I thought the final true boss was the toughest, though, and I had to use a ton of maca leafs and all three of my somas. It was then that I realized just how bad Naoto is at boss fights :-/

Both of them took me a while. I had to grind for Shadow Yukiko, and I think I got lucky for the latter because he didn't
rebuild his shell on consecutive turns
. I thought the final true boss was the toughest, though, and I had to use a ton of maca leafs and all three of my somas. It was then that I realized just how bad Naoto is at boss fights :-/

One of the easier fights in the game

Top Bottom