• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

It's an easy conclusion to reach. But man, If I was finishing high school, I would take so many Japanese classes and go abroad for a year. Oh well, gotta make JET love me and go in that style!

Haha. I have a friend who moved to Japan, and I considered contacting him and saying "HEY FRIEND, DON'T SUPPOSE YOU LIKE PERSONA?" and seeing if he wanted to see Persona Live.

Then I remembered that I hadn't spoken to him since he moved and I'd look like an asshole. So no Persona 2012 for me. :/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So in the manga, Teddie redid Yosuke's hair
tumblr_m2cv9z8sDl1qgio9ro1_500.jpg
moe~~~

Necrovex

Ah! So am I. Have you just applied for this year?

Yup! I slaved my ass away to ensure I got every form taken care of in the correct manner.

Haha. I have a friend who moved to Japan, and I considered contacting him and saying "HEY FRIEND, DON'T SUPPOSE YOU LIKE PERSONA?" and seeing if he wanted to see Persona Live.

Then I remembered that I hadn't spoken to him since he moved and I'd look like an asshole. So no Persona 2012 for me. :/

I told you, you can stay with me if you simply watch all of K-On or Queen's Blade.

Kazzy

Spent two hours yesterday fusing trying to max out my compedium, only to be met with the unassailable truth

The simplest way is to just use the same arcana to fill in any blanks of that corresponding class, so a triple fusion is required for a higher level, and a normal fusion will suffice to "downgrade". It becomes quite simple when you realize it works on averages, meaning you can simply jump to the next level threshold.

My compendium is currently at 97%, but that's because of the two S-links I never finished.

Yup! I slaved my ass away to ensure I got every form taken care of in the correct manner.

Ha! Yeah, that application process is something else!

Jintor

Well, filling it out's not really the problem, the problem is making useful characters. I get hung-up on giving invigorate or reflect barriers to everyone and not really considering actual functionality in battle.

Kazzy

Well, filling it out's not really the problem, the problem is making useful characters. I get hung-up on giving invigorate or reflect barriers to everyone and not really considering actual functionality in battle.

I used that method to stack all the abilities I wanted up a specific path. The skill cards make most of this redundant anyway, and you're on NG+, right? You should have all the skill cards you need!

This is why I made my perfect team before moving on to NG+. That way I can just call them up and never have to think about it again.

Kumiorava

Neo Member
So, I've been following the buzz around Persona 4 Golden for a while, and I'm pretty interested in the game. I've never played any of the Persona or SMT games before, so this would be my entry point to the series.

I'm just wondering: is Golden considered the superior version of the game or not? Lately I've seen many negative posts about the added fan-service stuff, new VA etc.

So, I've been following the buzz around Persona 4 Golden for a while, and I'm pretty interested in the game. I've never played any of the Persona or SMT games before, so this would be my entry point to the series.

I'm just wondering: is Golden considered the superior version of the game or not? Lately I've seen many negative posts about the added fan-service stuff, new VA etc.
Yes this is the superior version, if your coming in new, VA won't matter to you. Fan-service is more of the unnecessary anime trope, of boys peeking at girl's hot spring stuff. It's short so tolerable.

Just know that SMT games tend to be brutal at points, but P4G isn't as brutal though.

Kumiorava

Neo Member
Just know that SMT games tend to be brutal at points, but P4G isn't as brutal though.

Actually, I was more worried about the game being too easy since I heard that it's easier than the original version. I don't know if I should start on normal or on a higher difficulty.

There's a lot of time to think about that though, the game isn't coming out until late february here in Europe. And I don't even own a Vita yet.

Young Magus

Yea golden is superior to vanilla p4. Being a first-timer myself, I can say that your worries are not an issue. VA is great and nothing to worry about and the fan-service is skipable and is extremely small comparied to the rest of the added content.

Young Magus

Actually, I was more worried about the game being too easy since I heard that it's easier than the original version. I don't know if I should start on normal or on a higher difficulty.

There's a lot of time to think about that though, the game isn't coming out until late february here in Europe. And I don't even own a Vita yet.

For your first run its all-right when it comes to difficulty. The hardest part is the very beginning when you don't have much. Once you get past that the game is alright as long as you keep switching up your persona roster. Normal is okay for your first time in a SMT game

To complete my compendium I usually just fused three lower Personas of the same arcana to get a higher one, then fused a higher one and a lower one to get the missing numbered Persona in the middle. Took a lot of cash to do though.

Kazzy

For your first run its all-right when it comes to difficulty. The hardest part is the very beginning when you don't have much. Once you get past that the game is alright as long as you keep switching up your persona roster. Normal is okay for your first time in a SMT game

The difficulty plateaus fairly quickly after the first "real" dungeon. But one of the main staples of SMT games (the ever present threat of being one-shotted) is absent here, at least on the lower difficulties. The option to start on the last floor you were KO'd on makes it all a bit trivial.

There will be tears if I don't at least pass the first stage. So many hours are forever gone!

Where are you applying from? As I understand it, the interview responses are already being sent to some. The waiting is the absolute worst!

Necrovex

Tears!

I worked on 80% of an application two years back before my uni summararily decided to inform me I couldn't split my degree :T

I am squeezing 18 credit hours in my final semester to meet Jet's required graduation prior to June. :-(

Where are you applying from? As I understand it, the interview responses are already being sent to some. The waiting is the absolute worst!

I am a Floridian applicant. I know people in UK, Scotland, and Ireland are starting to receive their interview status. This waiting is also draining my spirit away...

I'm talking about last year's concert, bro. I got an early access thingamabob ticket sale from the first print of the Never More CD.

And my post was made in case a Persona concert occurs in 2013! Though, it could take another few years for a Persona concert to occurs.

Well... maybe. I can stomach that a little bit.

You're watching both now, and Queen's Blade will be first.

Jintor

It's not that bad, but it's very traditional Japanese idol sensation (Rie Kugimiya after all), so it doesn't really match with Rise's (translated) almost American-style personality. I have to say, Laura Bailey did a fantastic job finding an english-equivalent of that tipping point between being annoying and cute that characterises what I'd think an english Idol would sound like

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's not that bad, but it's very traditional Japanese idol sensation (Rie Kugimiya after all), so it doesn't really match with Rise's (translated) almost American-style personality. I have to say, Laura Bailey did a fantastic job finding an english-equivalent of that tipping point between being annoying and cute that characterises what I'd think an english Idol would sound like

Yeah, judging what I heard from the anime, I wasn't crazy about Rise's voice.

Dantis

Yeah, judging what I heard from the anime, I wasn't crazy about Rise's voice.

I actually think the Japanese voice actors all sound great (Particularly Teddie), I just hate the Japanese version of the song. The lyrics really don't help either. "Shine friends"? What the heck?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I actually think the Japanese voice actors all sound great (Particularly Teddie), I just hate the Japanese version of the song. The lyrics really don't help either. "Shine friends"? What the heck?

I found Teddie's to be the worst. D:

Never stopped being annoying, kuma.

English True Story was great. I thought Bailey also did a great job with Rise's "normal" tone of voice like when you talk with her for the first time at the Tofu shop or on Valentine's Day when you
don't choose her as your date and she gets all bummed and apologizes. "This isn't fun and games. I'm serious about you. I hate this. I always feel like a mess when it comes to dealing with you."
Ouch.

Dantis

I found Teddie's to be the worst. D:

Never stopped being annoying, kuma.

I find him consistently funny in his performance. Love the way he says "Yo-Yo-Yosukeeeee!".

In the Japanese one, when he's doing Junes Bomber he says things like "HEY! YOSUKE! COME OOOON!" and it made me smile every time. None of that was carried over to the English one (And even if it had been, Riegel's actual performance isn't funny).

Do costumes bought from Croco Fur carry over to New Game +? They're damn expensive, and I'm not going to buy any if they don't carry over, as that's a waste of money that would.

CSX

I'll say this when I first played Persona 4 in japanese

I didn't notice Naoto was a girl till the big reveal in her boss battle. I was legitimately shocked. My mind was going "Did I just hear that right?" Points to the VA :)

Man good times. I still have my notebook where I wrote down skill names and their english counterparts.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I find him consistently funny in his performance. Love the way he says "Yo-Yo-Yosukeeeee!".

In the Japanese one, when he's doing Junes Bomber he says things like "HEY! YOSUKE! COME OOOON!" and it made me smile every time. None of that was carried over to the English one (And even if it had been, Riegel's actual performance isn't funny).

Huh, I figured you wouldn't like it much.

I guess I just have aversion towards characters who like to repeat the same thing after every sentence they speak. ;P

Top Bottom