• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

W51bz.gif

Teddie was a good way to get around it. A massively more interesting character.

Huh, I figured you wouldn't like it much.

I guess I just have aversion towards characters who like to repeat the same thing after every sentence they speak. ;P

I have inconsistent tastes. :p

Jintor

I'll say this when I first played Persona 4 in japanese

I didn't notice Naoto was a girl till the big reveal in her boss battle. I was legitimately shocked. My mind was going "Did I just hear that right?" Points to the VA :)

Man good times. I still have my notebook where I wrote down skill names and their english counterparts.

Man, it's way too obvious in English. Voice actress doesn't sell it :T

Miker

It's sweet that she wanted to, though.

I like Laura as pretty much every character I've heard her voice. She's great as Rise.

But then, they all are.

I was looking up the Persona 4 VAs and saw that she also voiced Faye Lee in Binary Domain. I love her as Rise, but jebus her attempted Chinese accent was awful. I swear she sounded Hispanic at times. I think that's more of SEGA's fault with casting her in that role, though.

Guidance needed from you guys...

So I put 50 hours into P3P and now I am about 4 hours into P4G. Compared to p3p, I feel a little overwhelmed.

1. How urgent are the rescues. For example, if I do 1-2 floors is that enough per trip into the tv? I just feel like I burn through a lot more SP compared to p3p and obviously don't want to die and lose a ton of progress.

2. Is it ok to use the escape items I got from the Bear every time I want to save or leave? Is it easy to acquire more of these or should I use them sparingly?

3. How do you usually balance your social stuff and the dungeon fighting. Again, it just seems lie there is a lot more to do compared to p3p and I am not sure what the right balance is.

Thanks in advance.

neoemonk

Beat
Izanami
last night. I feel kind of sad now. Debating going for platinum but I have all those PS+ games I haven't touched yet.

Noi

So I put 50 hours into P3P and now I am about 4 hours into P4G. Compared to p3p, I feel a little overwhelmed.

1. How urgent are the rescues. For example, if I do 1-2 floors is that enough per trip into the tv? I just feel like I burn through a lot more SP compared to p3p and obviously don't want to die and lose a ton of progress.

2. Is it ok to use the escape items I got from the Bear every time I want to save or leave? Is it easy to acquire more of these or should I use them sparingly?

3. How do you usually balance your social stuff and the dungeon fighting. Again, it just seems lie there is a lot more to do compared to p3p and I am not sure what the right balance is.

Thanks in advance.

1. You can do way more floors cause you aren't limited to being tired. It's actually encouraged to rescue someone ASAP so you have more time to do whatever you want afterward. Think of the rescue period as the opposite of P3's full moons, rather than having to prepare for a fixed date, you have a fixed period of time to finish a task, avoiding the annoyance of say, reaching the max floor of Tartarus at that point and having nothing else to do until X date. Either way, only doing 1-2 floors per trip is pretty wasteful!

2. You buy Goho-Ms at the item shop in the shopping district. They aren't rare at all, so use em as you please!

3. Same way you did in P3! Pretty much pick a day to go into the dungeon, do as much as you can while inside, then leave and do social links other days With how easy it is to exploit P4G's mechanics, you can easily overpower everything at Normal or lower difficulties.

Kazzy

Thanks in advance.

1. Most people tend to clear a dungeon in one in-game day, that's not to say that you need to, but it's certainly manageable. The early game is the hardest in that regard, mainly because you have such a scarce supply of items and skills to exploit. For SP you'll want to use the vending machines in the shopping district, the one in the south sells Tap soda (restores 5 SP), whilst the one in the north sells cans that also do this. These are limited weekly, so you'll need to revisit every so often to keep a steady supply.

You'll also get a means to replenish all your SP in the TV world, though it does start off extremely costly and is tied to your progress in a specific arcana (Hermit).

2. Goho-M (escapes from dungeon) are sold in the convenience store in the shopping district too. Make sure you buy all your supplies on rainy days to snag the discount.

3. You get an entire month to clear a dungeon (and you can see the threshold by seeing when all the rain stops), so you should have enough time to finish them. Like I said, most people try to clear these as quickly as possible, and days where you wouldn't normally be missing out on much in the way of activities (rainy days), typically are the best times to do this.

Most of this is more readily apparent towards the beginning, after which it does become a much more defined routine, pretty much by virtue of you figuring out how the game "plays".

CSX

I think the design gives it a way anyway, even if anime design is typically steeped in androgyny.

haha guess I was naive then. But i do remember all the japanese news before it was released , naoto was always referred to as just a detective.

Anyways, i found my little notebook of Persona 4 that i used to write down skills and kanji to help me through my japanese playthrough. I stopped after completing Secret Lab because by then Atlus announced U.S release and I decided to just wait and beat it in English over winter holidays. Plus it wasn't my copy anyways.

To share my bad handwriting because nobody asked, here's a few pics

Looking back, I'm amazed at how much of the story I was able to comprehend with only one year of sleeping through japanese class back in high school lol...

I'm currently on November 22nd, so I believe I have 5 days left to complete Social Links with party members, but that won't quite be enough.

Will I have any more time
in the extra month that's new to the Golden version
?

CSX

I'm currently on November 22nd, so I believe I have 5 days left to complete Social Links with party members, but that won't quite be enough.

?

Yes you will get time

Kazzy

?

Yes,
you pretty much get a "free" month for social links in P4G. At the very end is when you go to Marie's dungeon, despite Margaret's constant calling to inform you about it.

Yes,
you pretty much get a "free" month for social links in P4G. At the very end is when you go to Marie's dungeon, despite Margaret's constant calling to inform you about it.

Sweet, I only have 3 more levels for Kanji and Rise, so that'll be no problem. I can also take care of the final quest for the fox, and maybe start and complete one of the social links I haven't touched yet.

Thanks guys.

Beat
Izanami
last night. I feel kind of sad now. Debating going for platinum but I have all those PS+ games I haven't touched yet.

Same situation as you except I just got the Plat. I want to start Gravity Rush and other stuff but what I really want to do is start my 3rd playthrough of P4G.

Jintor

lol i'm fighting the december boss on my third playthrough within three weeks

stupid handhelds, they're enablers i tells you

Oh, one more question; in regards to levelling up a character's SL, do the "happiness points" (the musical notes you see) carry over to future levels? For example, say I'm at level 7 with Kanji, and at a point where the game tells me "you feel your relationship with Kanji will become closer soon". I then spend time with Kanji in the evening, where you can't level up.

Are those points wasted, or when I do get Kanji to level 8, will it then take less time to reach level 9?

Hope that makes sense...

CSX

Christ... did it improve your japanese any?

I don't know any Japanese today. I slept through all my japanese classes back in high school and anything I retained was lost when I graduated.

Though last year, I went to a friend's house and she is known to import some games. I was shocked that I was still able to read the katakana of the titles lol.

I think my will to play Persona 4 unlocked the Japanese I never learned inside of me :p

These were things I was able to understand.

- All magic skills are in katakana and the only thing Atlus USA does is write the names in romanji. Therefore if the skill name is written in kanji, then high chance its a physical attack!

- People were getting murdered in the beginning

- Murderer was using the TV to do it

- The team is saving people before they are killed in TV world

- Shadow selves are their "real" or "dark" feelings or thoughts manifested

- "YOU'RE NOT ME!"

- "I am a Shadow, the true self"

- Bad cooks in the party lol

- Yosuke and Teddie (or should I say Kuma) be pervs

- I couldn't continue Nanako's S.Link because one of my stats weren't high enough :(

- and more

The main things I wasn't able to understand were the school questions and the Social Links. Thanfully, someone back at Gamefaqs translated the questions and even put spoilers so you can try answering the question yourself. S.links i just followed this philosophy...The last choice is the asshole reply!

And if i remember right, Atlus USA copped out on translating
Shadow Kanji's
death cry

Jintor

Haha

Though I bet a lot of that was contextual as well, just from the pantomime graphics and the changing character portraits

haha, the actual audio file for the 'woo-hoo' when you beat the december dungeon changes based on your options, lol

Kazzy

Oh, one more question; in regards to levelling up a character's SL, do the "happiness points" (the musical notes you see) carry over to future levels? For example, say I'm at level 7 with Kanji, and at a point where the game tells me "you feel your relationship with Kanji will become closer soon". I then spend time with Kanji in the evening, where you can't level up.

Are those points wasted, or when I do get Kanji to level 8, will it then take less time to reach level 9?

Hope that makes sense...

Yes, certain answers denote a better reaction, thus the time needed to reach the next level is less. It gets to the point where you'll be pretty annoyed whenever you don't get an automatic S-Link event.

And you can't level up at night, but those opportunities are created specifically to bridge that gap between reaching it at the next proper meeting (daytime).

Yes, certain answers denote a better reaction, thus the time needed to reach the next level is less. It gets to the point where you'll be pretty annoyed whenever you don't get an automatic S-Link event.

And you can't level up at night, but those opportunities are created specifically to bridge that gap between reaching it at the next proper meeting (daytime).

You misunderstand my question (not surprising, as I can't think of how best to word it clearly).

OK, so right now, Kanji is at the point where he'll level up the next time I spend an afternoon with him. But I've been spending whatever days I can with Naoto. However, I keep seeing Kanji in the evening. Are the points I'm earning for that going to be reset when he next levels up (meaning I'm wasting my evenings by spending time with him), or do they carry over when he next levels up, meaning he should gain a few levels consecutively pretty fast?

CSX

You misunderstand my question (not surprising, as I can't think of how best to word it).

OK, so right now, Kanji is at the point where he'll level up the next time I spend an afternoon with him. But I've been spending whatever days I can with Naoto. However, I keep seeing Kanji in the evening. Are the points I'm earning for that going to be reset when he next levels up (meaning I'm wasting my evenings by spending time with him), or do they carry over when he next levels up, meaning he should gain a few levels consecutively pretty fast?

Points do not carry over. However the points you get during the event which ends in a rank up are counted towards the next rank.

Jintor

IKUUUUUUUUU
which is
I'm cummming

Atlus translated it as "ACCEEPTT ME!"

Honestly, I probably would have done that too. For western tastes that dungeon is already super over the top. Which is the point, of course, but still.

Lack of (real) Naoto swimsuit? Disappointing.

Sophia

You misunderstand my question (not surprising, as I can't think of how best to word it clearly).

Points earned prior to the rank up do not count towards the rank. If his Social Link is ready to advance, you're wasting your evenings by spending time with him. :p

Points earned DURING the rank up (conversation choices and stuff before the "Rank up!" screen) do count towards the next rank.

CSX

Haha

Though I bet a lot of that was contextual as well, just from the pantomime graphics and the changing character portraits

haha, the actual audio file for the 'woo-hoo' when you beat the december dungeon changes based on your options, lol

Yea probably lol. Then again I remember being proud when I played the game in english and saw pretty much all the stuff I understood in japanese being correct :)

Kazzy

Do bad ends have their own anime cinematics?

No,
the train scene is kind of abridged for obvious reasons, and you can see the fog.

There are some unique cut-scenes, though, including Naoto getting killed by shadows whilst warning you about the fog.

Sophia

Do bad ends have their own anime cinematics?

No,
the train scene is kind of abridged for obvious reasons, and you can see the fog.

There are some unique cut-scenes, though, including Naoto getting killed by shadows whilst warning you about the fog.

Actually.
It's not abridged. It's similar, but it's a new animated cutscene in the Bad/Neutral endings. The Accomplice ending also has it's own unique animated cutscene.

Noi

Great, now I'm torn between getting beat up by shadows in P4G or getting beat up by bugs in EDF. Too much to play!

Top Bottom