• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Do you guys agree with me that the new scenes make people who didnt have as much screen time with each other normally seem more friend like with each other?

Kazzy

Reading this last page has made me feel extremely grateful for getting the book and Rise trophies in the first playthrough.

Late to the party (but I was waiting for my Solid Gold Edition) ...

but...

Chie's new voice here... ugh... the voice actress was way better in Arena.

SmithnCo

Reading this last page has made me feel extremely grateful for getting the book and Rise trophies in the first playthrough.

Yeah, I think the first run should always be a blind run for first-timers, except for books and Rise lines if they are trophy hunters. Makes the next playthrough far easier.

Exactly. P4G really helped to make everyone seem a lot more intimate with each other which I really think was awesome.

Agree. There is extremely good extra scene at this early on in the game (MC/Chie parasol moment) that make me thing is not going to devolve at the worst moments of P3FES and P4A

Kazzy

Yeah, I think the first run should always be a blind run for first-timers, except for books and Rise lines if they are trophy hunters. Makes the next playthrough far easier.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't quickly refer to a guide to make sure I didn't miss any of the books, but I never compromised what I wanted to do. And I did gripe a little about the Rise trophy, but sure enough, it appeared during the final dungeon. That said, this wasn't my first time with P4.

I will admit that they are unfair trophies for a beginner, though.

Lombax

Banned
On June 24th: Talk to the Chubby Student/Risette fan on the second floor of the practice building. Then talk to Rise' grandmother. Then talk to the Kind Man in the Floodplain.

On June 25th: Come back to the floodplain and talk to the Photographer, select the first option both times. Should give you access then.

The Chubby Student/Risette Fan is only present on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. The Photographer is there on Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays. The dates I listed are the earliest dates possible.

thank you kindly.

So, I don't know if you guys saw this but Polygon's Griffin McElroy put up a piece for their games of the year - Persona 4 Golden made GOTY #7. There's some simple and some interesting things that are well written here, but I found this to be worth quoting:

Griffin McElroy said:
These past few years have seen the release of massive, gorgeous open-world titles that gamers and critics lauded for their capacity for virtual tourism. I would argue that Persona 4 Golden does the same thing, albeit for a much smaller, much less exotic locale. No video game — and few works of fiction of any sort — have captured the feeling of battling the complacency of growing up in a small town this perfectly.

This is so true to me and I think that this is why I dealt with the things that I disliked about Persona. It's an escape into a world where you have a clean slate. Atlus is selling an experience where you can vicariously confront the complacency of your life.

Warren Spector talked about something like that (small but open and highly interactive world) and how could be beneficial to the immersion.

Another game that more or less give me the same feeling of immersion is Bully.

Squire

Banned
So, I don't know if you guys saw this but Polygon's Griffin McElroy put up a piece for their games of the year - Persona 4 Golden made GOTY #7. There's some simple and some interesting things that are well written here, but I found this to be worth quoting:

This is so true to me and I think that this is why I dealt with the things that I disliked about Persona. It's an escape into a world where you have a clean slate. Atlus is selling an experience where you can vicariously confront the complacency of your life.

Definitely agreed. The Investigation Team is just so incredibly relatable. And from a design aspect, the guys that did Sleeping Dogs said similar things. They built a smaller open-world, but a very dense one. Having a ton of space is useless if you don't do anything with it; you're just making me walk forever from quest to quest. You can see all of Inaba in ten screens, buy you have a TON of options. Always.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I think that's why I like it, it gives me a feeling that I never had in my HS years.

Warren Spector talked about something like that (small but open and highly interactive world) and how could be beneficial to the immersion.

Another game that more or less give me the same feeling of immersion is Bully.

Damn man, I can imagine the love child of Rockstar's Bully and Atlus' Persona... oh lawdy!

Definitely agreed. The Investigation Team is just so incredibly relatable. And from a design aspect, the guys that did Sleeping Dogs said similar things. They built a smaller open-world, but a very dense one. Having a ton of space is useless if you don't do anything with it; you're just making me walk forever from quest to quest. You can see all of Inaba in ten screens, buy you have a TON of options. Always.

Right, this is why, to me anyway, Persona 3 and 4 are truly noteworthy. And they could cut even more and still get away with very great narrative structure (ie. games like Catherine and The Walking Dead).

I think that's why I like it, it gives me a feeling that I never had in my HS years.

Sort of similarly, I have a friend that was an only child and grew up in a single mom house. She absolutely adored Nanako and Dojima. I don't know if I'll ever fully understand the sentiment, but it's great and you can't find it in many games.

So, I beat the "last boss" and passed
the holidays, so I'm after New Year
. I'm not sure I want to do that optional (super hard?) dungeon, I just want to see the rest of the story play out. Can I just decide later on not to go to that dungeon, or am I stuck with it now? If I am, can I go back to the saved game after the last boss and decide not to bother with
Marie
, and still get all the rest of the stuff?

mxgt

Banned
Sweet, beat
Ameno-sagiri
despite entering the fight with under half sp on all characters, no restore items and a clusterfuck of personas. Rise saved my ass.

Thought it'd be a bit harder though. Guess I'll move up to Hard for my next play through.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
. I'm not sure I want to do that optional (super hard?) dungeon, I just want to see the rest of the story play out. Can I just decide later on not to go to that dungeon, or am I stuck with it now? If I am, can I go back to the saved game after the last boss and decide not to bother with
Marie

It's not really all that hard, and I *think* you can choose not to go through with it, but I am not sure.

Necrovex

Marie

No, you have to do the optional dungeon. For story reasons, if you skip that dungeon, the epilogue will not open up.

Jintor

Do you guys agree with me that the new scenes make people who didnt have as much screen time with each other normally seem more friend like with each other?

Most def.

Stupid moronji

Mind you I've been watching the Animation again and there's a lot of things that work together to make all the social links seem way more cohesive. But then, there's no time management thing to them and they're a lot easier to direct in a non-player-driven work, so that's to be expected.

Dantis

Most def.

Stupid moronji

Mind you I've been watching the Animation again and there's a lot of things that work together to make all the social links seem way more cohesive. But then, there's no time management thing to them and they're a lot easier to direct in a non-player-driven work, so that's to be expected.

The Animation really gets it right in some bits. The way they did Yukiko's Castle is amaaaaazingly good. I'd love to see something more like that in P5.

Also, on the Love Is Over scene in episode 6, after Narukami gets the call, he hangs up and you hear an internal monologue (Possibly the only one in the entire show) where he has a very Vincent-esque expression and talks just like Vincent does in his inner monologues.

Coincidence or Catherine reference?

Jintor

Given the ringtone Yu set for Ai is from Catherine, it's deliberate.

Also, I didn't notice it the first runthrough, but Kanji's ringtone is Time for True Revelations

Naoto's shadow is also a lot better, the idea that as they're running through the dungeon the Shadow and Naoto are debate-fighting is a lot more compelling than just bursting into a room and triggering their little face-off. Also Kanji gets to be fucking ace as shit.

Dantis

Total reference. There's no way it's not.

Edit: That's actually my favorite episode in the first half of the show.

Great episode (LOVE the basketball game and Ain't Nobody Can Hold Me Down), but man, what a weak ending. My favourite endings are the poignant ones, but on Ep 6 it's just Yosuke saying "I give up. He'll be fine" and they all go home.

IT'S CERTAINLY NOT A 'CHIE SHOWS NARUKAMI A PHOTO OF HER DOG' MOMENT.

Jintor

Hey. Dantis.

After we fight, I'mma show you a picture of my dog.

I don't have a dog.

More Animation stuff, spoilery as fuck

In a sense, it also does a lot better job of hiding Adachi. He gets a lot more opportunity to act normal, there's no "No S-Link" mechanical spoilers, and he's just a lot more of a goofball all around and seems more harmless/helpful to the investigation team rather than being a shady motherfucker

Dantis

Hey. Dantis.

After we fight, I'mma show you a picture of my dog.

I don't have a dog.

More Animation stuff, spoilery as fuck

In a sense, it also does a lot better job of hiding Adachi. He gets a lot more opportunity to act normal, there's no "No S-Link" mechanical spoilers, and he's just a lot more of a goofball all around and seems more harmless/helpful to the investigation team rather than being a shady motherfucker

Did Narukami and Yosuke fight by the riverside? Because we should fight by the riverside.

Agree on the Adachi thing. His scripting seems more natural, and he's not as "WHOOPS, I TOLD YOU SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T HAVE".

Also, I feel the script overall is hit and miss. Some parts are actually better scripted than the game, whilst others are worse. The smashed DVD at the beginning for example, is much more natural. "You totally broke it, you tool!" is much better than what the game has to offer.

cj_iwakura

tumblr_mfx5ubnlEa1s1ff2jo1_500.png

To those of you who are in Japan or will go to Japan for a long time, can you stand here at this line please...

Thank you...

....Now I want to punch each and every one of you silly.

Goddamn I am so Jelly. Going to Japan is one of the most desirable dreams in my life ever. Too bad it's just too goddamn expensive ;________;

You lucky bastards, all of you.

I got by with speaking English when I was there though most of them just spoke to me in Japanese anyways (apparently I look Japanese, despite not being so). I kinda wish I had bought some Persona stuff while I was there, but I was conservative with my monies.

Dantis

Are you talking bout the bird thing or something

Nah, that was a neat scene, but it ruined any subtlety. It's not symbolism if you're bludgeoning the viewer with it, haha.

I meant like where Chie runs through a door and it's Yukiko's bedroom, and then it starts to turn red. And the environment for the boss battle is much better in the anime. It's very grand and exaggerated. The giant staircase and whatnot.

It's three volumes long here, so I have ages to wait until I get to see the True Ending in English.

It's worth the wait though. Man, I loved it. Really doesn't deserve the hate it got.

How strange as the US version of Vol. 2 does go up to True Ending.

Guess it's a way to make more $$ to split it up like that.

Good thing I took the animu as an opportunity to see how the JP voices were, and apart from Rise and Teddie, they were good. I have no desire at all to watch the anime in english.

Nah, that was a neat scene, but it ruined any subtlety. It's not symbolism if you're bludgeoning the viewer with it, haha.

I meant like where Chie runs through a door and it's Yukiko's bedroom, and then it starts to turn red. And the environment for the boss battle is much better in the anime. It's very grand and exaggerated. The giant staircase and whatnot.

Yea, I was gonna say, if thats the scene you were talking about, I would have said, u be trippin'.

Tamanon

Banned
The anime did a great job in general with the "boss" fights. It really turned it into more than speech--->fight--->speech, incorporating different elements to each encounter. Especially the whole Chie/Yukiko relationship is explored much more in depth.

And the mid-game
Mitsuo
fight was pretty awesome, a nice confusing fake-out.

Duffyside

Banned
Man, the dumbed-down difficulty of Golden is really starting to ruin my experience.

Way easier to get Player Advantage. The only time I don't get it is when I'm careless. My rate is probably 95% or more at this point.
Shuffle Time is a joke. I've gotten so many keys, extra Levels to my Persona, extra stats, everything.
And it just seems the enemies are easier anyway. I haven't even come close to dying yet.

Really wish I had played on Hard. I just marched through the entire third dungeon on a rainy day, AND did the entire second dungeon again, and part of the first (for some quests I missed), all on one life without replenishing any SP. Booo.

Man, the dumbed-down difficulty of Golden is really starting to ruin my experience.

Way easier to get Player Advantage. The only time I don't get it is when I'm careless. My rate is probably 95% or more at this point.
Shuffle Time is a joke. I've gotten so many keys, extra Levels to my Persona, extra stats, everything.
And it just seems the enemies are easier anyway. I haven't even come close to dying yet.

Really wish I had played on Hard. I just marched through the entire third dungeon on a rainy day, AND did the entire second dungeon again, and part of the first (for some quests I missed), all on one life without replenishing any SP. Booo.

Yep, that's why I went very hard. Still feels easier than Hard P4 Vanilla

Duffyside

Banned
Yep, that's why I went very hard. Still feels easier than Hard P4 Vanilla

Bah, 35 hours in though.

Did the difficulty affect getting Player Advantage at all though? With the Shadows being all on the ground, and doing that silly, long hesitation once they notice you approaching from behind, if that doesn't change in difficulty then I'm not sure if it would matter in the end.

Strangely, Shadows noticed you quicker in the earlier dungeons than they do by the third. Also, there was a lot more fog in the first two, giving me a disadvantage. Hm, maybe the third's just an outlier and it'll get harder by the fourth.

Sophia

Shuffle Time and Rise's new powers really do break the game wide open. I'm playing on Hard and the only area that was semi-challenging was the Striptease. Even Shadow
Mitsuo
I beat with relative ease.

Duffyside

Banned
Oh man, I haven't even gotten Rise yet. Forgot all about that. Oof.

Edit: And did I hear correctly that if you die in Golden, you start at the beginning of the floor, not your last save?

Oh man, I haven't even gotten Rise yet. Forgot all about that. Oof.

Edit: And did I hear correctly that if you die in Golden, you start at the beginning of the floor, not your last save?

On Very Easy and Easy, you start at the start of the battle you died in. On Normal and Hard, you start on the last floor you got up to, on Very Hard, you are dumped to the title screen and must reload.

Sophia

On Very Easy and Easy, you start at the start of the battle you died in. On Normal and Hard, you start on the last floor you got up to, on Very Hard, you are dumped to the title screen and must reload.

This I actually like, although it's easily abusable by going up and down for farming.

Top Bottom