• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Ponn

Banned
FPlatinum acquired, finally. A little bittersweet though, now i can finally put this aside and start on other games. But it means putting it to the side, really feels like the ending now :(

Noi

tumblr_mgd9sy4Zc11s0dapeo1_500.jpg

stktt

Banned
I tried to start a new game+ run of Persona 4, but the though of another 70+ hours of 4 just a few weeks after completing it isn't very appealing. Sticking with P3P seems like the better option for now.

johnsmith

remember me
Unfortunately not an option.

Edit: Hell, looking at the estimated shipping rates, I'm almost better off pre-ordering it on eBay, jesus. Can't even tell what the shipping on it will be until it's out, but estimates on amiami give me way more than $80. ._.

Oh that sucks you can't donate

But no way is amiami more expensive than ebay, ever. The chie figma only cost 580 yen to ship to the US by unregistered sal, so that's $47.20 shipped. The cheapest one I'm seeing on ebay is 74.99 shipped. Even if you chose EMS shipping and Labrys was a bit heavier than Chie it'd still be way cheaper than ebay.

Noi

Oh that sucks you can't donate

But no way is amiami more expensive than ebay, ever. The chie figma only cost 580 yen to ship to the US by unregistered sal, so that's $47.20 shipped. The cheapest one I'm seeing on ebay is 74.99 shipped.

I was probably looking at the wrong rates then. It doesn't help that there's no weight indicator until it comes out either, and I'm unaware is one of the few bastards that go "Puerto Rico? That's technically not the US, lets charge more."

...Still really tempting though.

Jintor

Fuck I really want to buy some figurines

what have you done to me P4

I can't afford this shit the design works were bad enough and those are BOOKS

Moonlight

Banned
I've spent the last month of my life playing little else but Persona 4 Golden. Man, this new game plus was a total bust. I was going into it thinking that this would be my max social link play-through, but then November arrived and I couldn't get a hold of Adachi any more (not that I was having much luck before). So, given that I didn't bother at all with Hardcore Risette Fan or the Book trophy, the only thing I can really achieve this playthrough now is max out the Compendium and maybe fight Marge. I think I meant to romance Naoto too, but, well, Rise. After this, it'll be round three of P4G.

Goddamn, why is this game so good.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I wish Soejima would go back to his crisp line art style from Stella Deus and P3. P4 and Catherine look a lot more like full-on anime art.
Lol what? Soejima's linework keeps getting sharper and more defined with each new outing. His skill as an artist is continually evolving in a positive direction.

Also, Kaneko is not a very good artist -- for human characters at least.

Jintor

I've spent the last month of my life playing little else but Persona 4 Golden. Man, this new game plus was a total bust. I was going into it thinking that this would be my max social link play-through, but then November arrived and I couldn't get a hold of Adachi any more (not that I was having much luck before). So, given that I didn't bother at all with Hardcore Risette Fan or the Book trophy, the only thing I can really achieve this playthrough now is max out the Compendium and maybe fight Marge. I think I meant to romance Naoto too, but, well, Rise. After this, it'll be round three of P4G.

Goddamn, why is this game so good.

Ahah my situation exactly, I blew my first NG+ by forgetting that Death and Temperence have really low availabilities. Well, not so much Temperance, but it clashes with other S.links

Dantis

Lol what? Soejima's linework keeps getting sharper and more defined with each new outing. His skill as an artist is continually evolving in a positive direction.

Soejima has undeniably gotten more talented in terms of his technical ability. His stylistic changes are subjective though, obviously.

And Kaneko is a good artist. His art is meant to look weird and unsettling. If he had the same kind of appeal in his characters that, say, Doi has, then it wouldn't have nearly the same impact. On a technical level though, his illustrations are sublime.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Soejima has undeniably gotten more talented in terms of his technical ability. His stylistic changes are subjective though, obviously.
Right, but he said crisp line art, yet his line art keeps getting... crisper.

And Kaneko is a good artist. His art is meant to look weird and unsettling. If he had the same kind of appeal in his characters that, say, Doi has, then it wouldn't have nearly the same impact. On a technical level though, his illustrations are sublime.
My problem with Kaneko is that on a technical level he's mediocre slash inconsistent; I love his style.

His Nocturne illustrations are really good, but things like his Strange Journey illustrations are totally bland and amateurish looking. I don't know if he's just burnt out over the years or what. But I don't really like most of his pre-Nocturne stuff either.

CSX

I feel dirty. I ordered the Persona 4 artbook.

My whole life I viewed artbooks as a waste of money but god I love this game too much.

Dantis

Right, but he said crisp line art, yet his line art keeps getting... crisper.

I think he was literally referring to the thickness of the lines. His P3 and Stella Deus illustrations are digital paintings, not lineart, so the lines on the characters are hand-drawn and very fine, but no way near as neat because of that.

I feel dirty. I ordered the Persona 4 artbook.

My whole life I viewed artbooks as a waste of money but god I love this game too much.

MISTAKE. Should've ordered the illustration book.

Also, whilst we're discussing art, I've been looking at Corpse Party 2 (Because it comes out soon), and I'm really looking forwards to it, but man. That art. It's so... Bleh. Every time I see it I just think "Soejima would do this better". I really wish there were more anime artists in videogames who applied a bit more of a realistic proportion to their characters.

Jintor

Oh shut it, I have a Japanese AND an English copy of the Design Works ==;;

I got the Japanese copy as a present, though, so...

Dantis

haha I was considering that as well. Let's see how much money I got left after textbooks and a 3DS + Fire Emblem :)

They're both good. They offer different things though. P4 Design Works is heavy on the development side of thing. Lots of notes, and big sections detailing the characters. The illustration book is almost entirely artwork, except for the interview at the back (All of his books have those though).

I think I might end up ordering the illustration booklet too,I'm not to familiar with the artists mentioned here, but I love the artwork in game;it's turned me into a fan.

CSX

I'm approaching mid-September--is there anything I should watch out for or keep in mind? Anything missable? Social links disappearing?

If you are doing Jester Social Link, you need it to reach Rank 6 by November 1st. After that, it levels up by itself.

CUD

Banned
I'm approaching mid-September--is there anything I should watch out for or keep in mind? Anything missable? Social links disappearing?
I'm currently playing it for the first time and would also like to know this. I get kind of paranoid and make multiple saves so I can avoid making the wrong decision, playing like this does get annoying so if I can be more at ease with my decisions I think I could enjoy the game a little bit more, if that is even possible.

cj_iwakura

I beg to differ.

tsumi-group-1.jpg

devsumart2.jpg

But subjectivity and all that.

Necrovex

I think he was literally referring to the thickness of the lines. His P3 and Stella Deus illustrations are digital paintings, not lineart, so the lines on the characters are hand-drawn and very fine, but no way near as neat because of that.

MISTAKE. Should've ordered the illustration book.

Also, whilst we're discussing art, I've been looking at Corpse Party 2 (Because it comes out soon), and I'm really looking forwards to it, but man. That art. It's so... Bleh. Every time I see it I just think "Soejima would do this better". I really wish there were more anime artists in videogames who applied a bit more of a realistic proportion to their characters.

Noooooooooooo!

I am not expecting much from Corpse Party 2 in terms of art. I didn't fall in love with the original game because of the art.

Dantis

Noooooooooooo!

I am not expecting much from Corpse Party 2 in terms of art. I didn't fall in love with the original game because of the art.

Neither did I. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate something different.

Love the opening to Book of Shadows. Dark as hell.

cj_iwakura

Also, Kaneko's been putting most of his work lately into the covers for some Japanese light novels. I'll see if I can find the images, but they were nice stuff.

It's entirely possible that he just got burned out doing SMT.

Dantis

Also, Kaneko's been putting most of his work lately into the covers for some Japanese light novels. I'll see if I can find the images, but they were nice stuff.

It's entirely possible that he just got burned out doing SMT.

I assumed that it had just gone in a direction he didn't appreciate. Strange Journey was the last game that really followed MegaTen conventions. And before that... DDS, I guess?

cj_iwakura

I assumed that it had just gone in a direction he didn't appreciate. Strange Journey was the last game that really followed MegaTen conventions. And before that... DDS, I guess?

He said that he wanted a different design for P3 and P4 to change things up, so I don't think he disapproves as much as you might think.

Sophia

Strange Journey's art wasn't very good. Jimenez is the only character in that game who's design I actually like, and I'm on the fence on Gore... :S

The Demonica was kinda cool tho. At least the head.

cj_iwakura

Strange Journey's art wasn't very good. Jimenez is the only character in that game who's design I actually like, and I'm on the fence on Gore... :S

The Demonica was kinda cool tho. At least the head.

I thought the few characters he created were all better looking than the entirety of Devil Survivor's cast.

Sophia

I thought the few characters he created were all better looking than the entirety of Devil Survivor's cast.

Ehh... I dunno. There's a feeling of lifelessness from the Strange Journey cast, for lack of a better term. It's in contrast to the art he did for P2 and Nocturne, which feels haunting but full of life.

As for Devil Survivor, you can totally tell it was done by Suzuhito Yasuda of Durarara!! fame. Both the good and the bad. (BIG BOOBS, HO~! >_>)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ehh... I dunno. There's a feeling of lifelessness from the Strange Journey cast, for lack of a better term. It's in contrast to the art he did for P2 and Nocturne, which feels haunting but full of life.

As for Devil Survivor, you can totally tell it was done by Suzuhito Yasuda of Durarara!! fame. Both the good and the bad. (BIG BOOBS, HO~! >_>)

Them boobs defy gravity.

Marche90

Oh, awesome. Now I'm thinking about buying the artbook. As if I weren't poor enough (buying Fire Emblem next month). Thanks, guys.

Anyway, it's worth it, and I've always wanted it, if I'm honest (you just gave me the last push). The only thing that worries me now is the shipping. Hopefully it won't be that expensive (and also, hope that they won't run out of copies, since most likely I won't buy it till March)

Mendrox

This Game is crack. I have since a week and already played 32 hours ( Import i am from Germany) best jrpg ever? I also think the game expands ones horizont when it comes to socializing.

Dantis

Oh, awesome. Now I'm thinking about buying the artbook. As if I weren't poor enough (buying Fire Emblem next month). Thanks, guys.

Anyway, it's worth it, and I've always wanted it, if I'm honest (you just gave me the last push). The only thing that worries me now is the shipping. Hopefully it won't be that expensive (and also, hope that they won't run out of copies, since most likely I won't buy it till March)

Is Amazon US not free shipping?

Fellow artists and art book collectors, I recommend getting a magnifier with lamp if you want to inspect the contours and what not.
Something like this.

Also, I think that compartment coffee tables are great because you can show off your art books to your guests and store all that stuff easily.
Something like this.

This Game is crack. I have since a week and already played 32 hours ( Import i am from Germany) best jrpg ever? I also think the game expands ones horizont when it comes to socializing.

Feels good doesn't it :)

Top Bottom