• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Portable isn't really neutered per se, it does have a ton of content specifically designed for that version. The new female MC feels almost like a completely different game.

I disagree with *tons* of content and *completely different game* of your statement.

If what you want is the best experience possible to experience P3 then P3FES is the best answer, no questions asked.

P3P should be kept as the last "damn it I can't play P3 unless in this version" option.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really want to see that scene with the guys

I couldn't resist going with Rise both times though

I can appreciate Rise because she's the ONLY girl in the entire game who basically puts it right out there with Yu, she wants the d. She doesn't do the blush teehee whoops i said something flirty.

That said, I still always end up with Chie or Naoto. Part of the problem.

I also bring Kanji to all parties because he compliments all my costumes. Thank you, Kanji. I do work out.

Sophia

Portable isn't really neutered per se, it does have a ton of content specifically designed for that version. The new female MC feels almost like a completely different game.

It is definitely a compromised game. The downgrade to the visual novel style cutscenes really hurts, and a lot of scenes lose their impact (The final boss battle being the biggest one.)

Marche90

Definitely. Having played both P3FES and P3P you really can feel the difference.

That said, I logged more than 150 hours into portable, so it's not too bad if you want to experience it on the go

Jintor

i bet i could get a ps2 and hook it up to my computer monitor somehow

but

i could spend an obscene amount of money on a psn version for p3p and get it right now

Trigger

It is definitely a compromised game. The downgrade to the visual novel style cutscenes really hurts, and a lot of scenes lose their impact (The final boss battle being the biggest one.)

I felt like
Shinji's death
was hurt by the transition. That scene was so much better in the original.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

but

i could spend an obscene amount of money on a psn version for p3p and get it right now

Is emulation not a viable option for you?

I honestly believe paying a gigantic amount of money for P3P is something that you would definitely regret on the long run, especially when there's a really much superior version around.

Sophia

but

Is emulation not a viable option for you?

I honestly believe paying a gigantic amount of money for P3P is something that you would definitely regret on the long run, especially when there's a really much superior version around.

Yeah, if the option is available to you, go with emulating Persona 3 FES. You can use the widescreen hack too.

If your only option is the PSN version of FES, go with Portable instead.

I felt like
Shinji's death
was hurt by the transition. That scene was so much better in the original.

Nyx's descent
is the scene that I felt was hurt the most. The music is gone, and the in-game cutscenes just don't accurately represent how unbelievably fucked the situation is.

Jintor

Emu... latio... n?

you're too late anyway, I just bought P3P. I haven't regretted anything except Far Cry 3 over the past couple of years though and this is more Persona, so how could I ever regret it

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Emu... latio... n?

you're too late anyway, I just bought P3P. I haven't regretted anything except Far Cry 3 over the past couple of years though and this is more Persona, so how could I ever regret it

Buyer's justification :p

Well regardless, enjoy. I played the P3P for quite a long while too; the only real complaint I could say towards it was the missing animated cutscenes. It seriously dampens the emotional impacts of many, many important scenes, but I guess if you haven't played the P3 original you wouldn't know the difference anyways.

Noi

I've always considered P3P to be the definitive version, but then again I'm a gameplay over aesthetics kinda guy. I much prefer the non-walking around and quick-access to locations and tweaks to the battle system that P3P brought over what was replaced to make it fit.

That and Maniac is really fun.

Noi

WORTH THE DP

over the past year i have come to the conclusion i could get feels from a toaster

tumblr_mala7flzQx1rdbyyyo1_500.png

Dresden

Only thing I really miss are the animated cutscenes in P3P. The VN-style presentation is actually neat, and the day-to-day social linking is far more convenient.

FemC is a revelation but I doubt a new player would appreciate her as much, without prior knowledge of what Minato is like.

Jintor

I like it so far, although without the animations the pacing feels a little... fast.

Dungeon crawling is much the same though and GOD DAMN THIS MUSIC so good

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Only thing I really miss are the animated cutscenes in P3P. The VN-style presentation is actually neat, and the day-to-day social linking is far more convenient.

FemC is a revelation but I doubt a new player would appreciate her as much, without prior knowledge of what Minato is like.

And the Square button for quick travel!

Yeah, especially when you take Elizabeth out. Those scenes are wonderful, they just don't have the same effect in P3P.

Dresden

Ahhhhhh I forgot about the Elizabeth dates. Those definitely lost a lot. I thought about picking the male option for the attendant, then I was like, nah.

Moonlight

Banned
At some point, dungeon crawling became my least favourite part of Persona 3 Portable. Persona 3 in general. I'd just equip Alice, find the staircase as soon as possible and spam Die For Me when I ran into a Shadow. It's basically my biggest roadblock to starting it up again, because as much as I adore the changes the FeMC adds, it's really hard to justify going back in and fighting my way through the grinder that is Tartarus. Persona 4 did a very good thing unifying each dungeon by a specific, identifiable theme, and breaking them up into chunks of ten or eleven to make it feel less like a slog. At the very least, you felt like you were making some honest progress. It's a very different feeling from constantly chipping away at more of a huge tower.

Still, Wiping All Out is easily my favourite SMT battle theme ever.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ahhhhhh I forgot about the Elizabeth dates. Those definitely lost a lot. I thought about picking the male option for the attendant, then I was like, nah.

Yeah, he's dumb. I think I chose him when I did my FemMC run. Doesn't really have that same flavor Liz has, even if it is the same dialogue.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is my laptop right now.

My life is tumbling outside of my control.

Is that official art?

The fact that Yukiko stood next to the MC made my heart melt, hahaha. As is the pic where all of them laying down on the ground staring up, the position clearly indicates that Yukiko and MC's legs are criscrossing one another <3

Gah, 3rd playthrough I need to go back to Yukiko. I feel awful rejecting her in this playthrough for Rise.

And the Square button for quick travel!

Yeah, especially when you take Elizabeth out. Those scenes are wonderful, they just don't have the same effect in P3P.

Yeah, not watching Elizabeth pouring the coins or her dancing around really decrease the charm of those scenes so much.

Anyone picking that male attendant is a sinner! Elizabeth is the best. Not to mention she canonically
defeat Eberus on her own and actually trying tp do something to help P3's MC final fate...

At some point, dungeon crawling became my least favourite part of Persona 3 Portable. Persona 3 in general. I'd just equip Alice, find the staircase as soon as possible and spam Die For Me when I ran into a Shadow. It's basically my biggest roadblock to starting it up again, because as much as I adore the changes the FeMC adds, it's really hard to justify going back in and fighting my way through the grinder that is Tartarus. Persona 4 did a very good thing unifying each dungeon by a specific, identifiable theme, and breaking them up into chunks of ten or eleven to make it feel less like a slog. At the very least, you felt like you were making some honest progress. It's a very different feeling from constantly chipping away at more of a huge tower.

Still, Wiping All Out is easily my favourite SMT battle theme ever.

I always go for the stairs in P3 and never actually explore each floors for the sake of exploring. Just go to the boss floor, go back, heal, go back up, try to defeat boss.

The soundtrack is great. SO much more atmospheric.

As I said before, the atmosphere in P3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> P4. God I love the atmosphere of P3 so much.

And P3 MC is a lot cooler than P4 MC anyways.

Moonlight

Banned
Holy shit shadows move like greased lightning in Tartarus
The trick is to lead them. Run away from them until you can't see their dot on the mini map (they stop after a set distance). After all, they'll turn the opposite way and leave themselves vulnerable for an easy Player Advantage. They're much easier to sneak up on to make up for their insane speed, in contrast to P4G's Shadows which are impossible to surprise (without Hermit, obviously) but have really slow reaction times.

...unless you've already figured that part out.

Jintor

Tartarus has how many fucking floors?

Looking better Dantis! Shoulder still too low though, or neck too tall, maybe both. Left hand stiff relative to elbow, right upper arm too long - forearm/elbow should be roughly where you've drawn the bottom of her ribcage-ish

Dantis

Made a few small changes to it, cheers for the critique!

Spent like an hour on it altogether now, haha! Definitely not touching it again, I only did it as a quick sketch yesterday. :p

Dantis

I enjoy doing digital paintings a lot, but I have pretty much zero interest in colouring lineart. I'm too slow and clumsy at it.

Jintor

So P3P. Game has opened up but I am not sure what I'm meant to be doing. Got up to floor 15 of Tartarus and hit a huge chariot-arcana shaped wall that casts mazio and nukes Yuki for a shit-tonne of damage. Do I need to go down 5 floors and grind? :T

So P3P. Game has opened up but I am not sure what I'm meant to be doing. Got up to floor 15 of Tartarus and hit a huge chariot-arcana shaped wall that casts mazio and nukes Yuki for a shit-tonne of damage. Do I need to go down 5 floors and grind? :T

I'd recommend settin that Vita down and lookin for a way to play P3FEs if you can deal with AI party control :B

Moaradin

Is there any major difference between Golden and the original? Don't got a Vita, so I'm playing the original.

Right now I'm on the 3rd boss
shadow yukiko
and holy shit I failed horribly. I was severely under leveled and I was on the last day I could do it. I had to go back a week and lost like 4 hours of progress.

and holy shit I played this game for almost 9 hours straight...

Jintor

's just normal. I'm just more interested in, like, what I should be doing. Where I am now there seems to be no pressing reason to explore Tartarus other than 'it's what we do', which I don't find very compelling, especially when the boss at this level is wiping the floor with me but standard mooks I completely steamroll.

I'm just more interested in, like, what I should be doing. Where I am now there seems to be no pressing reason to explore Tartarus other than 'it's what we do', which I don't find very compelling

welcome to one of my primary complaints against P3. I get if people like the story, atmosphere, characters, etc over P4, but people who say it's an overall better game are loco, bro. The way the game works is, hey you have this 200+ sized tower to climb and every full moon you got another boss to deal with. You will have to totally climb the tower by the end, but until then, the tower is there to level you for the full moon bosses, which makes no sense since the Tararus Tower bosses are for the most part, much tougher.

Top Bottom