• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Squire

Banned
I've been really tempted to get FES on PSN for about a week now. Is it really to be avoided at all costs? I wish I hadn't spoiled the big plot beats of P3, but I still wanna experience the game for the smaller moments with the characters. I think FES is the best way for me to do that. Can't take the concessions P3P makes.

Tamanon

Banned
I've been really tempted to get FES on PSN for about a week now. Is it really to be avoided at all costs? I wish I hadn't spoiled the big plot beats of P3, but I still wanna experience the game for the smaller moments with the characters. I think FES is the best way for me to do that. Can't take the concessions P3P makes.

Huh? FES is awesome. The only game people have reservations about is P3P. FES is the original game with bonus content.

Some people don't like The Answer(the second separate story arc), but that's about it.

TWILT

Banned

FES is great; definitely can't go wrong it. Avoid the Answer though (it's probably better to just watch it on Youtube if you're interested in it's story.).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Huh? FES is awesome. The only game people have reservations about is P3P. FES is the original game with bonus content.

Some people don't like The Answer(the second separate story arc), but that's about it.

It is, but the PSN version of FES has saving issues. Save files have become corrupted or it just won't save at all, etc. That's the main reason people are saying to avoid it.

mxgt

Banned
Finally finished, 77hours with true ending.

Seriously debating putting this over VLR for my 2012 GOTY. Decisions, decisions.

Noi

I was playing FES with a friend last night cause he's been going through it at a slow pace now, so I offered to help so he could finally finish it.

Instant regret. I can't go back to FES after all the stuff added in P3P. Entirely different games by now.

Jintor

I was playing FES with a friend last night cause he's been going through it at a slow pace now, so I offered to help so he could finally finish it.

Instant regret. I can't go back to FES after all the stuff added in P3P. Entirely different games by now.

It's real painful, but I just mitigate the combat by setting to easy. There's so many tiny things that bug me though. Golden really is the definitive version of the Persona formula right now and I hope they keep all that shit for baseline Persona 5.

Noi

It's real painful, but I just mitigate the combat by setting to easy. There's so many tiny things that bug me though. Golden really is the definitive version of the Persona formula right now and I hope they keep all that shit for baseline Persona 5.

It's not even direct commands in combat. It's very minute stuff like the Personas you fuse being registered to the Compendium exactly as you first obtain them and not in their base form, the square button pop up menu for quick travel, save points during the day so you don't have to go through the day's events again if you need to reload, only being able to change the MC's equipment from the status menu... it all adds up!

Dantis

Don't really agree. Some stuff is better, some is worse.

P4 was the best balance for me, I think.

Also, I just realised that we've never talked about the fact that Chie dyes her hair. I find that weird, to the extent that I only even remembered it today when I was re-reading the P4 art book.

Squire

Banned
Don't really agree. Some stuff is better, some is worse.

P4 was the best balance for me, I think.

Also, I just realised that we've never talked about the fact that Chie dyes her hair. I find that weird, to the extent that I only even remembered it today when I was re-reading the P4 art book.

WHAT?!

Also, for P5: The Voice/Vox Populi needs to return. Ditto P4G's implementation and enhancements to the Fusion system.

I actually think all the systems are great, they're just threaded through a game that's not been balanced around them. And that's not necessarily bad at all! But a game that is would be excellent.

Dantis

Indeed.

Also, for P5: The Voice/Vox Populi needs to return.

Absolutely agree, and I really think it will, seeing as Catherine had a similar system. SOS can piss off though, what a waste of time.

Ditto P4G's implementation and enhancements to the Fusion system.

I dunno about this one. I feel like, by giving you a list of all the possible combinations, they're ruining some of the mystery and experimentation in it. In P3 and P4, I'd go through and look for the best Persona. In P4G I'd go to the highest level one I could, and choose that. I hope they carry over being able to choose which moves to inherit though.

I actually think all the systems are great, they're just threaded through a game that's not been balanced around them. And that's not necessarily bad at all! But a game that is would be excellent.

FluxWaveZ

Wow, really? I never knew that. I'm looking over the Chie section in the P4 art book right now but I can't find anything; could you point out where it's stated in it?

Shinypogs

I like the sos function because I like feeling like I'm helping, usually I just activate it once per dungeon so it will start sending me requests to answer. As an actual tool it really only helps early on if you're having sp trouble. It'd be neat if it could be reworked into something useful but not game breaking.

This is my idea. When you fuse Personae, you only get the P3/P4 way of doing things. Slink rank 3 lets you transfer 1 skill. Rank 6 lets you transfer 2 skills. Rank 9 lets one of your two transferred skills ignore inheritance. Max lets both skills ignore inheritance.

Jintor

Wow, really? I never knew that. I'm looking over the Chie section in the P4 art book right now but I can't find anything; could you point out where it's stated in it?

Page 52, Soejima's design note

This is my idea. When you fuse Personae, you only get the P3/P4 way of doing things. Slink rank 3 lets you transfer 1 skill. Rank 6 lets you transfer 2 skills. Rank 9 lets one of your two transferred skills ignore inheritance. Max lets both skills ignore inheritance.

that's a good idea.

When I talk about the minor things though I mean more like 'hit square to teleport from anywhere', or s-link rank-ups being just that instant, or all that additional director's cut content in the TV channels. As you know, I am not really that fussed about the RPG combat system

Squire

Banned
I dunno about this one. I feel like, by giving you a list of all the possible combinations, they're ruining some of the mystery and experimentation in it. In P3 and P4, I'd go through and look for the best Persona. In P4G I'd go to the highest level one I could, and choose that. I hope they carry over being able to choose which moves to inherit though.

This is what I was really getting at. I agree with the rest of your point, too. They could totally cut the lists.

What's Chie's natural hair color? I don't have the art book. (I assume we're discussing P4 Official Design Works, which I plan to purchase at some point.)

Jintor

All their natural hair colours are black I'm pretty sure. Yosuke, Chie, Rise dye, Kanji bleaches. No clue about Naoto (BLUE) or MC (GRAY) though

Inheritance roulette was always a pointless timesink

ZeroAKA

Soejima mentioned in the art book that if the protagonist was a Power Ranger, he would be the Blue Ranger, and yet the protagonist got the Red Featherman R costume in P4G. Soejima did say that the obvious choice would the Red Ranger, but I still found it amusing.

Jintor

The only one that's kind of funny is Chie, because apart from that she has no interest in fashion (seemingly, although her epilogue getup is reaaaally stylish). But Yosuke's a city boy, Risette's an idol, and Kanji is a tough guy.

Marche90

All their natural hair colours are black I'm pretty sure. Yosuke, Chie, Rise dye, Kanji bleaches. No clue about Naoto (BLUE) or MC (GRAY) though

Inheritance roulette was always a pointless timesink

... WHAT!?

MIND=BLOWN

Really, dude? Now I really wish I had a copy of that artbook

Jintor

I had never even thought about eye proportions before reading the design works, but Soejima's comments about how he made Chie more 'girl next door' just by the shape of her eyes and her 'slightly duck-like mouth' (lol) made me so much more aware of how much thought must be put into character design.

I'm extrapolating Yosuke and Risette dying btw, it's not explicitly stated but given that Chie dyes it makes sense that they dye. There's also a Jan conversation between Kanji and Yukiko at the Junes about him bleaching his hair.

Dantis

Soejima mentioned in the art book that if the protagonist was a Power Ranger, he would be the Blue Ranger, and yet the protagonist got the Red Featherman R costume in P4G. Soejima did say that the obvious choice would the Red Ranger, but I still found it amusing.

I think the alternate costumes aren't Soejima, so that's why.

I'm not even sure the new outfits in Golden are him. It's hard to tell.

Wow. This is kind of mind-blowing.

Kanji and Chie are the only confirmed ones.

I always assumed Rise just has that reddish brown hair that some Japanese people have.

Wait, do people who have that colour hair dye it?

EDIT: Persona's own Shihoko Hirata is a good example of what I'm talking about:
Shihoko+Hirata+ShihokoHirata.png

FluxWaveZ

I'm extrapolating Yosuke and Risette dying btw, it's not explicitly stated but given that Chie dyes it makes sense that they dye. There's also a Jan conversation between Kanji and Yukiko at the Junes about him bleaching his hair.

It's actually explicitly stated that Yosuke dyes on page 33, first column. Not sure about Rise, though, since her hairstyle's design is explained in detail and there's no mention of that.

Jintor

It's actually explicitly stated that Yosuke dyes on page 33, first column. Not sure about Rise, though, since her hairstyle's design is explained in detail and there's no mention of that.

Oh right. Well, Risette's appearance is almost entirely about being 'manufactured', so...

Jintor

Kanji and Chie are the only confirmed ones.

I always assumed Rise just has that reddish brown hair that some Japanese people have.

Wait, do people who have that colour hair dye it?

EDIT: Persona's own Shihoko Hirata is a good example of what I'm talking about:

That's just a lighting thing, that's what black hair looks like in the right light... hell, my hair looks like that if you get it in the right environment.

I started p3fes after I beaten p4g, it was kinda thought, but at the same time it's a much older game and I was able to get over thos issues. And there are save issues with buying it off the psn, but to avoid those, just make three extra saves just in case :3
P.s more robots girls :D

Dantis

That's just a lighting thing, that's what black hair looks like in the right light... hell, my hair looks like that if you get it in the right environment.

Nope. Her hair is actually brown. Look at some other pictures of her, brah.

She might dye it though, I dunno.

That reminds me, Dantis, Meguro better be working with Hirata again for P5.

I'd actually rather he didn't. A lot of her post-P4 tracks just felt like re-treads to me. I can't stand Time To Make History because it just feels so phoned-in.

New vocalist and a new direction, fo' sho'. I still love Snowflakes though. ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why wouldn't I romance Mitsuru? She's boring like the MC, older, rich, and has a woman's body~

Yukari's too emo, and I'm not some sicko who would fuck a robot... Can I romance Elizabeth?

Dantis

Why wouldn't I romance Mitsuru? She's boring like the MC, older, rich, and has a woman's body~

Yukari's too emo, and I'm not some sicko who would fuck a robot... Can I romance Elizabeth?

Yes.

And Yukari is probably the best female out of everyone in Persona 3 and 4, so you're wrong.

Top Bottom