• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Salaadin

You gotta pay top dollar for quality.

But I dont have top dollar to spend :(
The Reincarnation soundtrack has so many great tracks on it. I want it now.

Im still waiting for the P4 OST in the mail. Should be here any day now. I just want to upload it to google music already so I can carry it with me wherever I go.

I was playing Innocent Sin earlier. I ran into this:

1358657407335.png

P90

P4G Ending Spoilers
Didn't take one of her character portrait, but I took this and this.

On that note, is this official art for Rise?
I'm guessing not, but it still looks good.

Thanks! I'll cut her out of the pic and make her my avatar. Per requests of other fans, I will wait a few months. Don't want to spoil the awesomeness of the epilogue for anyone.

bobeth

Just got this game, finished it once on the PS2 a few years back. I love this version so far, pretty amazing I can play such an amazing game on the go but.. what happened with Chie's voice? The actress they chose to replace her is terrible! So much whining and overacting, she doesn't sound sincere or natural at all... Am I the only one thinking this, or just getting to old to accept changes?

Trigger

Just got this game, finished it once on the PS2 a few years back. I love this version so far, pretty amazing I can play such an amazing game on the go but.. what happened with Chie's voice? The actress they chose to replace her is terrible! So much whining and overacting, she doesn't sound sincere or natural at all... Am I the only one thinking this, or just getting to old to accept changes?

lol, no you're not. You're just LTTP. Earlier in the thread this came up at least once a page.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

While she does overact a tad, she's much MUCH better than the old VA. At least there is SOME enthusiasm in her voice.

Its in one of those new theater quests.

Ah, I never did those.

Jintor

The Rise picture? I don't think it is...

If it's fanart, it's really fucking good though.

It's definitely fanart, but they really focused on the eyes and face. The lines get dodgier the further down the body you go though.

Damn, Risette is fab

Marche90

I was playing Innocent Sin earlier. I ran into this:

1358657407335.png

What.
Lovely nod

Also, relevant to this image: I think that I'm going to try to play again P2IS (this will be my third try, if I'm not mistaken). However, since I no longer own a PSP nor my games (also, since I disliked that version) I'm going to play through the original PSX version. Wish me luck, and I just hope that I don't bail out of it again at the f*cking
bomb shelter
aka the worst dungeon ever

And that Rise image, so good. Awesome fan-art.

What.
Lovely nod

Also, relevant to this image: I think that I'm going to try to play again P2IS (this will be my third try, if I'm not mistaken). However, since I no longer own a PSP nor my games (also, since I disliked that version) I'm going to play through the original PSX version. Wish me luck, and I just hope that I don't bail out of it again at the f*cking
bomb shelter
aka the worst dungeon ever

And that Rise image, so good. Awesome fan-art.

P2IS is one of my favorite games of all time. It is home to a few of the worst dungeons of all time.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So GAF, Normal or Hard? I played the OG P4 on Normal and felt fine with whatever grinding and such I had to do. Did they make Normal significantly easier in this version? Should I go Hard mode to match Normal from PS2 P4?

Trigger

Hard; the gameplay is balanced in such a way that the game overall is far easier. Even hard became easy after a certain point. If you know what to expect there's no reason to play on an easier difficulty.

Moonlight

Banned
Go with Hard or Very Hard if you felt good about P4 vanilla. P4G is a lot easier, in a lot of respects. It's easier to get a preemptive attack on Shadows, it's easier to fuse the Personae you want with the skills you want, and on Normal and Hard, you aren't set back to your last save if you die, only the beginning of the floor you're on.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Are the EXP/Money payouts reduced in Hard or is that only Very Hard? I remember reading this somewhere.

Jintor

If you want. Personally, I just one-day the dungeons the day after they start, since they tend to kill party member s.links until completed.

Squire

Banned
Should I try to save going into the dungeons for rainy days, since most social links seem to be gone after school on rainy days?

No, clear dungeons the day they open, if you can. If you put them off until rainy days your Incestigation Team S. Links will be concerned about the last person kidnapped - the game's way of pushing you to hurry up and finish.

Rainy days are good for going to Okina (for the movies or the cafe) and going into the TV for quests/extra bosses. I'm on my second run now and I always double down on the last dungeon I completed on the first rainy day that pops up.

Also, enemies are tougher when it rains. Better loot/more EXP.

If you want. Personally, I just one-day the dungeons the day after they start, since they tend to kill party member s.links until completed.

I couldn't one day a dungeon if my life depended on it. I"m usually out of SP and nearly dead by halfway through a dungeon. If I tried to fight a final boss on a one timer through a dungeon I'd get the f beat out of me.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I couldn't one day a dungeon if my life depended on it. I"m usually out of SP and nearly dead by halfway through a dungeon. If I tried to fight a final boss on a one timer through a dungeon I'd get the f beat out of me.

Get friendly with the fox.

By the time its level 5/6 or even 4 you're good to go.

Completed it for the first time yesterday with the new epilouge. I feel so empty now :( only needed 2 weeks :/ is P3P that bad?

Not bad per se... just I don't know........ flat?

Jintor

By the way, did Tanaka's show extend to Tuesday in Vanilla P4? FES is really annoying because going out with telephone friends steals your TV time and it never comes on again.

Sophia

Anyone can one day a dungeon. It's not a matter of skill, just a matter of finding the easiest enemies that you can kill with auto attack that drop SP restoring items and farming that floor for them + chests.

By the way, did Tanaka's show extend to Tuesday in Vanilla P4? FES is really annoying because going out with telephone friends steals your TV time and it never comes on again.

I believe that's new to Golden. I don't recall it ever in vanilla P4.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
P3/FES rotates the items though for Tanaka's TV show. What you don't get will be sold again at some point.

What I don't like about P3/FES is how it handles S.Link, in how you cannot choose to be friends with the girls. That Minato swagness, ahahaha.

P3/FES rotates the items though for Tanaka's TV show. What you don't get will be sold again at some point.

What I don't like about P3/FES is how it handles S.Link, in how you cannot choose to be friends with the girls. That Minato swagness, ahahaha.
That's one thing I liked about the female route, you can just be friends with the guys. I figured they would have changed the male route for this in portable but they kept it the same. : /

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's one thing I liked about the female route, you can just be friends with the guys. I figured they would have changed the male route for this in portable but they kept it the same. : /

Yep, it's very disappointing.

It's like they just don't want to be bothered :\

I don't like playing as Female MC, since her story completely disconnects to the Answer and why that one is a huge emotional roller coaster for the cast, and to my favorite character (Yukari)

Jintor

Boy, I sure am glad I'm fighting the last big boss in Persona 3! And I'm only just in November! \o/

I bet this will solve the murder case for good!

Yep, it's very disappointing.

It's like they just don't want to be bothered :

I don't like playing as Female MC, since her story completely disconnects to the Answer and why that one is a huge emotional roller coaster for the cast, and to my favorite character (Yukari)
The answer could still probably work. Itd just be that Yukari
goes nuts over her best friend dying instead of her boyfriend
, yknow?

Jintor

Keeping control of your dumbass team-mates in FES is a fucking chore and a half. If I had direct control this battle would have been over ten minutes ago.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The answer could still probably work. Itd just be that Yukari
goes nuts over her best friend dying instead of her boyfriend
, yknow?

Nahh... Yukari's relationship with FeMC is not that strong/emphasized. Good friend, sure, but not the kind of relationship that would push Yukari to do stuff that she do in The Answer.

Besides, it wouldn't work considering
the one she lost in P3 was her father, you know... Kind of like she finally found someone that could replace her father only to be ripped apart from her yet again...
that kind of connection wouldn't work with FeMC, I think.

Jintor

I am recovering from the shocking events of 11/5 by watching a whole bunch of security vids on the console

OH MAN MAID YUKARI

/edit Man
I guess that guy had weapons-grade video editing software

omg_mjd

Completed it for the first time yesterday with the new epilouge. I feel so empty now :( only needed 2 weeks :/ is P3P that bad?

I regretted buying P3P at first because of how constrained the point and click navigation felt. But after the 1st boss and getting into the flow of things it really picked up for me. It's like P4G on fast play mode--on my NG+ of P4G I tend to use the square button to go most places anyway. I mean, Inaba's pretty but there's only so much of it to see.

Also, P4G is better scripted in my opinion. The game really tries to make you feel like you're a part of that world. P3P is more like a visual novel (aside from the dungeon crawling) so it isn't until you get invested in the story that you start to overlook its technical limitations. And once you reach that point you'll be glad you made the leap.

Squire

Banned
I regretted buying P3P at first because of how constrained the point and click navigation felt. But after the 1st boss and getting into the flow of things it really picked up for me. It's like P4G on fast play mode--on my NG+ of P4G I tend to use the square button to go most places anyway. I mean, Inaba's pretty but there's only so much of it to see.

Also, P4G is better scripted in my opinion. The game really tries to make you feel like you're a part of that world. P3P is more like a visual novel (aside from the dungeon crawling) so it isn't until you get invested in the story that you start to overlook its technical limitations. And once you reach that point you'll be glad you made the leap.

You really make me wanna load that game again. I've tried multiple times and it hasn't held me. I just can't find that flow. How many floors do you recommend doing per night? I always ask that and the answer is always "As many as you want", but I can't figure out if I'm going deep enough or not (I do 5.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You really make me wanna load that game again. I've tried multiple times and it hasn't held me. I just can't find that flow. How many floors do you recommend doing per night? I always ask that and the answer is always "As many as you want", but I can't figure out if I'm going deep enough or not (I do 5.)

The trick is only fight what is necessary for you to get to the boss. Don't explore unnecessarily; when you see the stairs, just go up. Once you have arrived at the floor of the boss, warp back, save, and try to defeat the boss. If you can't do it no matter what, then you start training to level up.

Don't do "fight as much as you can for 5 floors/6 floors/7 floors." Your fist priority should just be reaching the floor of the boss, and that's it.

I always manage to do it efficiently without leveling up just doing that kind of routine. Level up certainly help, but I think the game is set up in a certain way that you don't really need it to overcome boss battles; your persona load out is much more important to do it.

Jintor

P3 feels a lot more restrictive with the amount of Personas you can obtain in shuffles. Between the party control mechanism and the lack of help with fusing options, it feels quite a bit harder than P4G.

Tartarus is really getting on my nerves.

I remember in P4 feeling like I had a handle on things by the end of Yukiko's dungeon, but it almost always feels skin of my teeth in this game. I mean, this is partially because my party members are fucking idiots, but that's besides the point.

Squire

Banned
P3 feels a lot more restrictive with the amount of Personas you can obtain in shuffles. Between the party control mechanism and the lack of help with fusing options, it feels a bit harder than P4G.

Tartarus is really getting on my nerves.

It seems like a lot of P3's difficulty is born from arbitrary design; making things a hassle for the player when they shouldn't be.

I think P5 will of course have all of Golden's mechanical advancements (or most of them), but in turn, they're gonna have to focus on enemy AI and general encounter design to create challenge.

And that's how it should be. Just using the tools a game gives you shouldn't be difficult. Figuring out how, why, when and in what order to apply them should be.

Top Bottom