• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

omg_mjd

You really make me wanna load that game again. I've tried multiple times and it hasn't held me. I just can't find that flow. How many floors do you recommend doing per night? I always ask that and the answer is always "As many as you want", but I can't figure out if I'm going deep enough or not (I do 5.)

I'd usually just keep going until I hit the "wall"--the floor above the last boss of that section of Tartarus. (Can't remember now how many floors that was...)

In between there's also the mid-boss of course. So after I beat them I just take the elevator, heal at the clock, then go back up and keep going.

My goal was to only go to Tartarus only if I had to and otherwise just spend the evening on an S. Link or doing an activity to boost stats.

I'd also return on nights if I had to find a quest item. You're nicely leveled at that point (if you've reached and beaten the boss) so the battles at the lower floors are easier and won't drain your SP that much.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, the atmosphere in P3 is so superior than P4 its not even funny.

I also find it so incredibly unfair that the final fate for P3's MC is left hanging like that while P4's is all fine and dandy :\

Damn it.

Jintor

Jintor, I thought you're playing P3P?

I'm playing FES now. I got to about August in P3P and wasn't feeling it... if I had to explain it, it felt like watching P4 The Animation before playing P4.

Re: atmosphere, I think that's wrong - P4's atmosphere is entirely different and I like it a lot more. Mainly the thing is I don't feel the 'friendship group' thing as heavily in P3, they feel more like... workmates than anything else. The general vibe of the town is nice though.

omg_mjd

The trick is only fight what is necessary for you to get to the boss. Don't explore unnecessarily; when you see the stairs, just go up. Once you have arrived at the floor of the boss, warp back, save, and try to defeat the boss. If you can't do it no matter what, then you start training to level up.

Yup, good strategy. I only explore the whole floor if I'm looking for shadows that carry quest items.

Jintor

Also, the next Persona should have three autosave slots that save-state at the beginning of each day so I don't lose 4 days of s.link progress by accident

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm playing FES now. I got to about August in P3P and wasn't feeling it... if I had to explain it, it felt like watching P4 The Animation before playing P4.

Re: atmosphere, I think that's wrong - P4's atmosphere is entirely different and I like it a lot more. Mainly the thing is I don't feel the 'friendship group' thing as heavily in P3, they feel more like... workmates than anything else. The general vibe of the town is nice though.

Sorry but can't resist saying this: told you so :p

As for atmosphere, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. P3's atmosphere is pitch perfect for me; casual yet foreboding, relaxing at some point but oppressive in another; it really delivers the "end of the world" vibe much better and much stronger than P4.

And I hate to say this word, but it also gives off a much more "mature" feeling. The character's conflict in P4 is kind of laughable for me; I mean, the central problems that the main characters are having when they are facing their true self--compared what the characters in P3 are facing, they seem like child play. "Facing/Conquering your true self" is, ironically, much more poignant in P3 than it is in P4. The relationship between Yukari and Mitsuru, Mitsuru and Akihiko, Akihiko and Shinjiro and Ken, Junpei with the MC, Junpei with his love interest, Yukari and the MC... all of them touched me a lot more deeply than anything in P4.

Jintor

I haven't finished FES yet, so I can't really say, but so far (November 6) it's not hitting the highs of P4.

Actually, I kind of feel that's almost surface-level thinking. P3's dilemmas so far seem more mature than P4's, but the way they're handled feels just as, if not moreso, clumsy as in P4. And I always thought the hyper-exaggerated 'true selves' of P4 was actually part of the statement in itself; a person's own personal problems are always most important and huge to them themselves. In essence, it doesn't matter that their problems are minor to outside onlookers; to themselves, every person has their own huge, looming problems. Obviously it's exaggerated by the Shadow World, but...

I dunno. P3 feels less personal to me.

You're right in that what they are is 'deeper' and 'more mature', I suppose, than P4's largely positive relationships, but it feels like surface-level appeal - it just sounds more mature, but it's not actually explored in a satisfactory way. It's like in the way a story about death is supposedly more mature than a story about high-school hijinks - it starts from a better position but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of delivery.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Heh, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Not saying P3 is a better game, mind you, because mechanically P4 is definitely superior in almost every way. I just feel more connected to the story/characters of P3 than I was with P4; especially with the Answer.

My ideal game is P3 with P4 mechanics; that would be awesome.

Jintor

I have an attachment to the cast of P3, especially since Junpei found his balls, but it's nowhere near my admiration for what they did with the cast of P4.

Yukari is pretty high-tier though, I'll give you that.

Shinypogs

Dear soccer team,

You guys suck

~me

I'm sure they'll get better eventually because plot arcs or whatever but right now they annoy me. Kou and Daisuke are still my two fav non combat people though ^-^

Noi

P4 is the better game, but I liked the setting and atmosphere to P3 more due to how grim things get. I don't think P4 quite puts the characters through the motions as P3 does, which I really liked.

also more non-soejima styled arts to make Dantis cry

tumblr_mg4ybh91bI1s2w8lao1_500.jpg

I am Thou…
Thou are Thee…
Literally

tumblr_mg4y3x4zwE1s2w8lao1_500.jpg

tumblr_mg4y3x4zwE1s2w8lao2_500.gif

P3 feels like its trying too hard to be grim and mature in the face of all the goofball shenaningans that happen prior to when the plot actually has some forward momentum. Maybe the same argument can be made for P4 trying too hard to be upbeat in the face of the murder mystery backdrop, but yknow, the pacing is a lot better.

Maybe I just like the small sleepy town setting more than the big city since Im already from the big city.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just finally finished Persona 4 (On my perfect game that has been sitting at the Final Boss for 2 years) I'm going to start Golden now.

Is Persona 4 Arena canon? I haven't played it yet.

Without spoiling too much does Golden expand the true ending of Persona 4?
I saw a picture online when Golden first came out in Japan that showed the picture at the end of the game with an older investigation team.

Mendrox

Hmm now i dont know what to do... Guess playoff FES on an emulator and After that p3p with The female MC would be good?

Question above me: yes it does expand The ending very nicely also p4a is canon

Noi

I just finally finished Persona 4 (On my perfect game that has been sitting at the Final Boss for 2 years) I'm going to start Golden now.

Is Persona 4 Arena canon? I haven't played it yet.[/SPOILER]

Much to someone's chagrin, yes, it's canon.

Curufinwe

So you can't do Margaret's requests on the last day. I think I am fucked... That was the only S. Link I had left to do.

Going to go back to a save from five hours ago and redo February. Sigh.

P90

Is Persona 4 Arena canon? I haven't played it yet.

Without spoiling too much does Golden expand the true ending of Persona 4?
I saw a picture online when Golden first came out in Japan that showed the picture at the end of the game with an older investigation team.

P4G has an epilogue not found in P4. Saying anything more has a high risk of being a spoiler.

Trigger

Hmm now i dont know what to do... Guess playoff FES on an emulator and After that p3p with The female MC would be good?

Question above me: yes it does expand The ending very nicely also p4a is canon

Yes, assuming that doesn't burn you out on Persona 3.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
P4G has an epilogue not found in P4. Saying anything more has a high risk of being a spoiler.

Cool! Thanks. and thanks for the other answers, didn't see the edit until now.

I guess I'll play P4G while trying to keep Izanagi on my team the whole time and buffing him through the game.

When I went back to my P4 game after those 2 years I was like how the fuck do I get to the final dungeon again? Man I had everything done with that 1st playthrough. All the best equipment including the MC's best sword and several pieces of the best armors in the game, all the Social Links done in a 1st playthrough, Persona with All Resists, and Persona with all 4 elemental high level target all skills.

The last boss was pitifully easy. It was kind of weird that
Izanami felt happy for you (Humanity) at the end after trying to fuck you over

That ending *Tear*

Question about January:

For the last few days, party members have approached me and if I spend time with them, their Persona is reborn again. Can I do this with all of them, or do I have to choose favourites? The characters ghat have approached me but I didn't spend time with haven't approached me again.

btkadams

how many floors are there in the final
true
dungeon? man, this game just keeps going! i will admit that i'm feeling a little bit of fatigue at this point, but i think that could be because my social links and other stuff have been locked in.

ZeroAKA

Question about January:

For the last few days, party members have approached me and if I spend time with them, their Persona is reborn again. Can I do this with all of them, or do I have to choose favourites? The characters ghat have approached me but I didn't spend time with haven't approached me again.
You don't have to wait for them to approach you. Just seek them out yourself. You should be able to get all of the ultimate Personas.

how many floors are there in the final
true
dungeon? man, this game just keeps going! i will admit that i'm feeling a little bit of fatigue at this point, but i think that could be because my social links and other stuff have been locked in.
9 floors.

Holy shit. I had written Chie off as being the worst party member due to crappy abilities, but her
Ultimate Persona Social Link Skill (Dragon Hustle)
is one of the best abilities in the game.

Increases all party member's Attack, Defense, and Hit/Evasion? Hell yes; Chie just suddenly became an amazing support character!

Holy shit. I had written Chie off as being the worst party member due to crappy abilities, but her
Ultimate Persona Social Link Skill (Dragon Hustle)
is one of the best abilities in the game.

Increases all party member's Attack, Defense, and Hit/Evasion? Hell yes; Chie just suddenly became an amazing support character!

Its great if you can deal with the 150 sp cost.

DJ_Lae

I spammed the shit out of Naoto's ultimate ability in the final boss fight (gave her the 1/2 SP use accessory).

Felt like cheating, as we barely took damage, under leveled though I was.

Never tried Chie's ability though.

I spammed the shit out of Naoto's ultimate ability in the final boss fight (gave her the 1/2 SP use accessory).

Felt like cheating, as we barely took damage, under leveled though I was.

Never tried Chie's ability though.

It's really easy to break the game with the right builds.

This is the Persona my MC has been using for most of the game:

Decarabia
Current level: 90

Current stats:
Strength - 89
Magic - 99
Endurance - 60
Agility - 61
Luck - 60

Abilities:
Maragidyne (heavy fire damage to all foes)
Megidoloan (severe almighty damage to all foes)
Mabufula (medium ice damage to all foes)
Repel Physical
Null Fire
Evade Ice (triples evasion to ice magic)
Fire Amp (strengthens fire damage by 50%)
Victory Cry (recovers all HP and SP after battle)

Affinities (factoring in skills):
Physical: Repel
Fire: Null
Ice: Normal (but triple evasion rate)
Electric: Null
Wind: Strong
Light: Null
Dark: Normal

Everything is pretty much a cakewalk (I even beat the Reaper with no trouble), as I do crazy damage with fire and almighty magic, I can spam everything thanks to Victory Cry, and next to nothing can even damage me at all.

I also just fused a Yoshitsune with Debilitate that I'm also going to turn into another monster. That thing also breaks the game with the right skills.

Jintor

Arguably.

It probably doesn't matter honestly, though, as it doesn't have any influence over the other games as of yet and the story has about as much plot as one of the drama CDs.

how the fuck do they manage that with each character having their own goddamn storyline

Ran into a wall in FES, Stasis giant that deal around 150-200 damage (most of my characters are 300hp) or, if you're unlucky, will use a multi-hit attack that deals 150 damage with each hit. Oh and they resist almost everything except electricity and have like 1500 hp

What's the fucking use of having a dedicated scanning member if you can't goddamn tell me what weaknesses a sub-boss has? Your goddamn persona evolved and everything but you're still USELESS FUUKA GOD DAMN

Dantis

how the fuck do they manage that with each character having their own goddamn storyline

For the most part, the stories are all the same (Bar Labrys and Elizabeth). If you're expecting a Blazblue style interconnecting thingamabob, don't.

Nope. Definitely.

I've disagreed. But like I say, it really doesn't matter. For now, Arena is unconnected with the other games (Notably, P4G). If it affects P5, that will be significant, but we have a while to go until we find out.

Squire

Banned
Burning through Marge's S. Link on a rainy day. I think I'll also attempt to fuse... him.

Btw, for the Sweep Bonus trophy, it's get fifty across the whole game, right?

Sophia

Ran into a wall in FES, Stasis giant that deal around 150-200 damage (most of my characters are 300hp) or, if you're unlucky, will use a multi-hit attack that deals 150 damage with each hit. Oh and they resist almost everything except electricity and have like 1500 hp

What's the fucking use of having a dedicated scanning member if you can't goddamn tell me what weaknesses a sub-boss has? Your goddamn persona evolved and everything but you're still USELESS FUUKA GOD DAMN

They don't resist ice either. :D

You're gonna love it when they come back as regular enemies a few floors later btw. :p

Jintor

They don't resist ice either. :D

You're gonna love it when they come back as regular enemies a few floors later btw. :p

Yeah, unfortunately, because FES's fusing help is complete bollocks I appear to have accidentally made a party completely of Zio/Agidyne/Garu users. One guy on Bufula but it's shithouse. Gonna go grind me a Chernobog to make a slash immune Thor.

I really like the multiple types of phys damage in P3 though, I like it better than the straight up 'phys' class in P4

FluxWaveZ

For now, Arena is unconnected with the other games (Notably, P4G).

P4G Epilogue Spoilers
Yosuke does mention the events of Persona 4 Arena in a single, vague line of dialogue in Persona 4 Golden.

But yeah, nothing else has acknowledged P4A, which is normal because there's basically been nothing else. Atlus did write the story and they did state that it was cannon, so I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom