• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can't wait to see what kind of hot-spring scenes that they will use in P5 myself. No matter what kind of murders or deaths or gods or goddesses or looming-end-of-the-world scenarios running around you know they just gotta sneak one of those in.

11/22, god damn

Not being able to see plot twists coming is great! No-one spoil P3 for me or I will shank you

I just got to that part myself, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately the ending was spoiled for me, so some surprise was lost.

Is Mind Charge very useful? I'm trying to decide how I should construct my Scathach, and it's coming down to it and Salvation. I don't need the latter, but it's nice to have (especially with Spell Master).

Jintor

Because of the way the math works out, mind charge actually does something like 2.5-3x damage, not 2 as the game tells you.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just got to that part myself, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately the ending was spoiled for me, so some surprise was lost.

Is Mind Charge very useful? I'm trying to decide how I should construct my Scathach, and it's coming down to it and Salvation. I don't need the latter, but it's nice to have (especially with Spell Master).

Well... mind charge is a 80.000 skill card while Salvation is a 120.000, so you can say perhaps that the game thinks Salvation is a more important one. And really, you can always mind-charge on one persona and then use other persona to launch the offensive spell, but you can't do it with Salvation.

But Yukiko can learn Salvation naturally... well, she can learn mind-charge too actually but it's not like she can do the mindcharge for the MC.

Just use Trumpeteer for all of your Mind-Charging needs. It doesn't learn it naturally but it is part of Margaret's S.Link quests so I assume you will be getting it for the dude and keeping it.

Jintor

Junpei jumped like several tiers over the last couple of game months, god damn

If only he had an s-link in FES!

/edit wow, 12/2, this is nonsense. Pretty much exactly what I was talking about when it comes to themes that seem better in theory than in execution.

Still kind of cool though.

What a stupid infodump cutscene though. Blargh.

Lol, sudden prophecies, lol, 'sealing away' somehow, what the fuck, this is nonsense

See the problem here is that they haven't earned the crazy shit they've suddenly leapt into.

Trigger

Really? I thought P3 handled its twist better than P4 in comparison. It didn't feel so out of the blue since it tied together several of the game's mysteries.

Jintor

Maybe I haven't reached the twist twist twist yet. I expect a cascading series of twists. Vaguely unsatisfying so far though.

About to hit New Years.

btkadams

so, i finally beat the game (true ending). i don't have it with me but my clock was at something like 58 hours.

amazing game! i want to play through it again, but my backlog is killing me. i will have to return to it later. i bought persona 4 arena over the holidays and may start playing it.

Dantis

If you boys were thinking "Man, I wish Dantis would do lineart for his Chie picture!", then boy do I have a surprise for you!

And if you didn't think that, then I still have a surprise for you, you just won't appreciate it as much.

chieh.png

Maybe I haven't reached the twist twist twist yet. I expect a cascading series of twists. Vaguely unsatisfying so far though.

About to hit New Years.

The finale is tremendous, but the overall plot is rather weak. I have a similar problem with P4.

ckohler

so, i finally beat the game (true ending). i don't have it with me but my clock was at something like 58 hours.

amazing game! i want to play through it again, but my backlog is killing me. i will have to return to it later. i bought persona 4 arena over the holidays and may start playing it.

WAAAT?! How do you get to level ~80 in only 58 hours? I think I'm at like 85 hours and I still haven't beaten the final boss (true ending).

Trigger

WAAAT?! How do you get to level ~80 in only 58 hours? I think I'm at like 85 hours and I still haven't beaten the final boss (true ending).

It's not too hard to grind if you focus. I'm assuming he's also on a NG+ going by some of his previous posts.

EDIT- I might be thinking of someone else.

About to hit New Years.

I think it's more that P3 gets more mileage in the form of character development out of its twists than P4 does. I don't think the cast in P4 is as shaken by that game's revelations.

I don't get why the descriptive for mind/power charge in P3/4 only says double attack, when in other Megaten games such as DDS, they say more than doubles your attack

btkadams

it may be because i'm playing on easy ;)
It's not too hard to grind if you focus. I'm assuming he's also on a NG+ going by some of his previous posts.

EDIT- I might be thinking of someone else.

I think it's more that P3 gets more mileage in the form of character development out of its twists than P4 does. I don't think the cast in P4 is as shaken by that game's revelations.

on my first playthrough actually

Does the
Reaper
only appear once per playthrough?

Also, every so often in a dungeon I hear
chains and shuffling. I read that's the Reaper, but I've heard that noise plenty of times, and only come across the Reaper once. And I always fully explore each floor in every dungeon before moving to the next. So why can I hear him when he's not around?

Sophia

Does the
Reaper
only appear once per playthrough?

Also, every so often in a dungeon I hear
chains and shuffling. I read that's the Reaper, but I've heard that noise plenty of times, and only come across the Reaper once. And I always fully explore each floor in every dungeon before moving to the next. So why can I hear him when he's not around?

The Reaper can show up multiple times per playthrough. Getting everyone's ultimate weapons requires beating him multiple times. Every 20 chests you have a CHANCE of finding him, doesn't mean you will.

DarkKyo

I'm still pretty early in the game.
Have to save Yukiko this week
. The only thing stopping me from
prolonged training time in the tv world is my lack of SP regain items. You know, snuff drops or whatever they are called.I can't seem to find/buy them anywhere! Am I just looking in the wrong places? I want to stock up so I can bring a bunch with me and stay awhile

I'm still pretty early in the game.
Have to save Yukiko this week
. The only thing stopping me from
prolonged training time in the tv world is my lack of SP regain items. You know, snuff drops or whatever they are called.I can't seem to find/buy them anywhere! Am I just looking in the wrong places? I want to stock up so I can bring a bunch with me and stay awhile

You cant buy those anywhere. Only place you can buy sp items, and they are only like fill 5/10 sp, is from the vending machines.

Curufinwe

So is there any sort of strategy to maintaining sp without sp items? Lol...

You should buy 5 TaP sodas from the vending machine next to Shiroku every time it's stocked. And then just hope you pick up other SP items in the dungeons. Later on in the game you can pay to restore SP.

I finished the game last night with all S.Links maxed partly because I did every dungeon in one day.

For now, look for a Persona called Sarasvaati. It learns an ability that restores 5 SP every turn, which is a lot more useful than it sounds.

As the game progresses, maintaining and restoring SP becomes a non-issue.

Sophia

There's an enemy in the lower level floors of the castle that drops SP restoration items. By the time you can make it to the boss, that enemy should be easily beatable.

Man,doing a P3 max s.link run is no joke.

I almost screwed the hermit link up because i didn't bring the right persona.

I have like 2 days at the end of the game to make it up.

It better not go like my P4 run where I maxed everyone but death (rank 9).

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Man, still having trouble getting used to new Chie's VA. She just seems way too over-dramatic practically all the time, as if she's trying too hard.

Perfection was achieved before and cannot be attained again. ;_;

Jintor

The effect on the cast is pretty good, but the twist itself was bollocks as far as I'm concerned

Man, still having trouble getting used to new Chie's VA. She just seems way too over-dramatic practically all the time, as if she's trying too hard.

more fitting now. Old chie was mediocre, but endearing.

Jintor

Another downside of the 'order' system is that if your MC gets charmed you can look forward to losing 3 turns in a row because your team mates are too fucking stupid to use a dis-charm on you immediately.

Also your MC deals like a bajillion damage

Moonlight

Banned
Kaguya is just the best.
8407302108_8f02f62a8b_z.jpg

Yep.

She sounds much, much more natural in the anime. I imagine either there was a difference in voice direction or she recorded for Golden before doing the anime. Either way, she can do a much better job.

EDIT: Also, I think what's good about the twist in P3 isn't necessarily the details of the twist itself, but rather how it catalyzes the development of the characters. It forces them to find new resolve, discover what they're really fighting for, and reconciliate. There's nothing quite like that in Persona 4.

Jintor

It's kind of good and bad. P4 ties it all in to the Protag and the party member's social links; P3 places it into external events and characters interacting with one another. I like that because I like intra-party stuff, but it also feels like it disconnects the MC from the party development somewhat.

The twist sucks though

Yep.

She sounds much, much more natural in the anime. I imagine either there was a difference in voice direction or she recorded for Golden before doing the anime. Either way, she can do a much better job.

EDIT: Also, I think what's good about the twist in P3 isn't necessarily the details of the twist itself, but rather how it catalyzes the development of the characters. It forces them to find new resolve, discover what they're really fighting for, and reconciliate. There's nothing quite like that in Persona 4.

what's that...thing? is it new?

Yep.

I love seeing other's Persona builds, its interesting how differently we build them.

20130122201501.jpg

Jintor

Man, the public in Persona land are really susceptible to crazy bullshit panic

Okay, they've got better reasons than normal though, but my default reaction is not normally so... intense

Jintor

Somehow I left almost all the party member s.links far too fucking late. Goddamn requirements

Did they take out the jealousy thing for P3P? Because fuck this shit

FluxWaveZ

I think I'm only at level 5 of Saori Hasegawa's S. Link in P3P and it's so tragic. Maybe exacerbated because I can relate to her more than other characters.

Top Bottom