• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Jintor

On a side note re P3
I was fucking certain that Itsuski was going to have some kind of relation to Takaya, with Takaya being his shadow or his brother or some bullshit; the visual design was so similar. It threw me onto the right path but for the wrong reasons.

That whole thing was dumb urgh

The only thing I regret from P4 after playing P3 beforehand :
When you know Ikutsuki's an antagonist, if you are even a little savvy, suddendly Adachi being the culprit doesn't come as much as a surprise...

Dantis

On that note, what did you think of the art? I always find it jarring when I go back to P3, because Soejima improved so much as an artist between P3 and P4.

Jintor

If they're going to do that again in P5 they really need to hide it better. The changes in Golden are a good start. Like I said earlier, I hope they play with the interface stuff more to disguise where exactly the story is going to end and that kind of thing.

lol Vic Mignogna was Junpei, Laura Bailey is FemC

Only a couple of lines had me confusing Aigis for Nanako, mostly Aigis's robotic voice direction overpowers that. Speaking of which, I found that intially very annoying but as you might expect
it served to make her speaking in actual sentences by end-game very effective. I especially liked the anime cutscene ending having her with a normal neck + no headphones, even if that was just symbolic

Art is definitely more punchy in P4. Besides Catherine (which I still need to pick up, I think I might just have to get it off the net now, never seen it in stores anymore), what else has he worked on since? I assume he did prelim designs for Arena...

Noi

I think P3's art is perfect.

G95CUOL.jpg

Dantis

Art is definitely more punchy in P4. Besides Catherine (which I still need to pick up, I think I might just have to get it off the net now, never seen it in stores anymore), what else has he worked on since? I assume he did prelim designs for Arena...

He did new art for P3P (New cut-ins and the various new characters, like Saori), various art for Arena (Portraits, Labrys and Ariadne) and he did a small amount of new art for the Innocent Sin port on PSP.

Also, Catherine is fucking amazing. You should definitely play it. It also has the most refined of his art work, being his most recent project.

Karen Strassmen is great. Her voice is very pleasant to listen to.

Fun fact: She's slso Helena in DOA, Dantis.

Yep. Loads of Persona characters in DOA. Hayabusa is Kanji/Vincent, and Hayate is Yosuke. Love it!

I think P3's art is perfect.

G95CUOL.jpg

This is amazing.

Jintor

Virtue's Last Reward supposedly has an entire cast of Persona veterans

In all seriousness, the only person whose voicework I thought blew was Fuuka, which sucked because you hear a god damn lot of her. Everybody else's is pretty much excellent.

The Sun social link was god tier btw

Lusankya

Virtue's Last Reward supposedly has an entire cast of Persona veterans

Sigma = Kanji
Luna = Rise
Quark = (new) Chie
Phi = Aigis, Nanako
Dio = Akihiko
Tenmyouji = Ryotaro Dojima
Clover = Fuuka (P4A)
K = Theodore
Zero III = Labrys

Only Alices VA is unknown (or at least not mentionend on the wiki page). Could be Mitsuru.

Jintor

Also, I can finally read the "MC is a huge jerk" comic

Love the comments on there theorising that MC is a reverse fool because he's basically just telling everybody what they want to hear in order to s.link up. So glad that's not the best thing to do in P4 (most of the time). I guess some of it is saying you need to pass through the reverse stage of the s.link to keep ranking up, but he's still basically just using them. Actually, the P3 design works has a couple of interesting design notes about s.links from the Producer and Soejima.

Jintor

I legit cried talking to his epilogue person in March 2010

I mean, the last couple of months of FES were pretty bloody depressing, but that took the cake

Love the comments on there theorising that MC is a reverse fool because he's basically just telling everybody what they want to hear in order to s.link up. So glad that's not the best thing to do in P4 (most of the time). I guess some of it is saying you need to pass through the reverse stage of the s.link to keep ranking up, but he's still basically just using them. Actually, the P3 design works has a couple of interesting design notes about s.links from the Producer and Soejima.
The game basically outright tells you to say whatever pleases your SLink friend, so yeah...Minato and Yu are a bit of manipulators after all :d

I hope there will be more jerk-ass / cheeky dialogue in P5 though. Those are my favourite.

Jintor

Yu is a lot more about telling people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. Minato is basically just telling dudes what they want to believe.

Primary example would be Chariot in P3. You basically have to encourage the guy to wreck himself before he checks himself.

Oh, the payoff for Hermit was fucking excellent. I laughed so hard.

Dantis

The Devil S Link in P3 is amazing.

Also, as far as Soejima improving, check this:

YukoNishi.jpg

Yuko from FES, compared with Saori from P3P

P3-Saori.jpg

In P3, Soejima hadn't even established his style that he now uses. He even draws the eyes differently.

Jintor

In P3, Soejima hadn't even established his style that he now uses. He even draws the eyes differently.

He's right in this weird area where every character he makes should look completely dead-eyed but somehow they seem vibrant and full of life

Uthred

Finally got around to finishing this off (got to the bonus dungeon before christmas and then didnt play it for a month or so), certainly the definitive version of the game. The only low points for me are the english voice acting (some of it was good, but most was poor to mediocre). I also think the post bonus dungeon bathing scene was handled poorly, I enjoyed the fan service but it didnt fit the tone of the rest of the game (which the other new additions, including the extremely tame bath scene at the inn) did. Great apart from that though. Possibly should have paced myself better on, playing for eighty hours in one big marathon and then taking a few weeks off made it feel a little disjointed. Still, for me it made buying a Vita worthwhile

Dantis

He's right in this weird area where every character he makes should look completely dead-eyed but somehow they seem vibrant and full of life

I think Soejima's art works for sooo many reasons. The way he draws faces combines like, the appeal of anime with a more realistic awareness of proportions and perspective. The way he draws faces also allows for differentiation between faces. If you look at say, three women from Persona 4, they all have different shaped eyes and faces, and it's just a little touch that makes them feel more unique.

His scene composition is generally both realistic and dynamic. I think artists often struggle to balance that, and end up with either something that is distorted or something that is boring and I think Soejima gets it just right. It's a very down-to-Earth way of drawing, and I think that allows it to be appreciated by people who would generally be put off by anime art.

I also love the way he uses like, visual story-telling through his designs. When you look at a Soejima character, you can tell so much about them because of the various little details on their design. I feel like a lot of art in games, particularly anime styled games, is just drawn to look cool rather than fit in with the universe. With a Soejima character, you can generally look at a design, and even if you don't like the actual design, you can figure out the logic behind it and why it works as a piece of art (Marie is a really great example of this), and what it tells you about the character.

His fashion design is great too, with characters generally wearing clothes which not only fit the character, but would be practical outside of a videogame. The characters manage to look unique, and yet ordinary, and I think that lets you get more attached to them.

This leads into my next point, that the women aren't over-sexualised. I actually have no problem (Well, mostly) with sexualisation in videogames, and I think a lot of the reactions to actual sexual content are ridiculous, but in games which I'm going to take seriously, and get immersed in, it has to make sense. If two characters are sleeping together within the context of the story, that's sound. If a character is wearing little to no clothing and it fits the context, that's also cool. But it pulls me out of a game completely when a story that wants to be taken seriously, and wants me to believe in these characters, has these ridiculous outfits that make no sense within any context. It's why I don't like some of the new content in P4G and really hope that the tone within that content is not carried forwards.

As a whole, I feel like videogame art is mostly boring and artists really struggle to deviate from the established styles, and yet Soejima's art is so identifiable and polished, in terms of line-art and colours and designs, that I just feel like it's on a whole other level relative to other artists...

...Have I mentioned that I'm really excited for Persona 5?

kiyomi

Haven't really been ITT because honestly I find it terrifying.

I also love the way he uses like, visual story-telling through his designs. When you look at a Soejima character, you can tell so much about them because of the various little details on their design. I feel like a lot of art in games, particularly anime styled games, is just drawn to look cool rather than fit in with the universe. With a Soejima character, you can generally look at a design, and even if you don't like the actual design, you can figure out the logic behind it and why it works as a piece of art (Marie is a really great example of this), and what it tells you about the character.

His fashion design is great too, with characters generally wearing clothes which not only fit the character, but would be practical outside of a videogame. The characters manage to look unique, and yet ordinary, and I think that lets you get more attached to them.

This leads into my next point, that the women aren't over-sexualised. I actually have no problem (Well, mostly) with sexualisation in videogames, and I think a lot of the reactions to actual sexual content are ridiculous, but in games which I'm going to take seriously, and get immersed in, it has to make sense. If two characters are sleeping together within the context of the story, that's sound. If a character is wearing little to no clothing and it fits the context, that's also cool. But it pulls me out of a game completely when a story that wants to be taken seriously, and wants me to believe in these characters, has these ridiculous outfits that make no sense within any context. It's why I don't like some of the new content in P4G and really hope that the tone within that content is not carried forwards.
This is wonderful stuff. :b

I meant to go and get the P4 design works when I got my copy of Golden but I never really got round to it. Not that I would've taken a look at it anyway ; I wanted to get through the game first.

Speaking of which after a hiatus of a couple of weeks I jumped back in last night and remembered that I was in
Paradise/Heaven
, just shortly before I got my ass kicked. Any recommended persona I should look to create for that boss? As much as I love them, I am awful at actually utilizing game mechanics in RPGs.

Haven't really been ITT because honestly I find it terrifying.

This is wonderful stuff. :b

I meant to go and get the P4 design works when I got my copy of Golden but I never really got round to it. Not that I would've taken a look at it anyway ; I wanted to get through the game first.

Speaking of which after a hiatus of a couple of weeks I jumped back in last night and remembered that I was in
Paradise/Heaven
, just shortly before I got my ass kicked. Any recommended persona I should look to create for that boss? As much as I love them, I am awful at actually utilizing game mechanics in RPGs.

Whats terrifying lol

Can Hassou Tobi on Yoshitsune be replaced with another ability by a Skill Level Up card? It's easily the best ability in the game, and I'm scared I might lose it to something the game might think is better.

The skill level up thing is useless. For the last 3 dungeons I kept getting "no skills could be changed" every time I pulled it.

It varies. It's great for elemental single-enemy skills, as it turns them into all-enemy skills.

It also turns heavy damage almighty skills into severe almighty damage.

Oh, and it turns Null ----- into Repel -----.

Should turn it into drain. Repel can be hell

I prefer Repel, as my main Personas have so many resistances, I never have to worry about dying at all. So I prefer offense.

You might be able to turn Repel into Drain with another Skill Level Up card though; I don't know.

Jintor

I prefer Repel, as my main Personas have so many resistances, I never have to worry about dying at all. So I prefer offense.

You might be able to turn Repel into Drain with another Skill Level Up card though; I don't know.

Yeah, until they repel a skill the enemy drains and you heal it for 1000 hp

Not nearly as bad as Yukari being charmed by the final boss of P3 and Diarahaning it when it was on half HP for its final form. I threw my controller at my bed.

Noi

Thankfully I did not get charmed when Nyx was near death and I did not have a charm resistant item/persona either. Then again, I also didn't have a persona equipped with Diarahan either. :p

Replace MC with Mitsuru and that's the exact thing that happened to me. ;_;

Noi

I like this one better.

tumblr_mchojiRpgM1rdbyyyo1_500.png

DarҖaoZ;46868306 said:
Dunno if it was posted here or not before. But here is a P4 Golden Dynamic PS3 Theme I did and released the day the game came out. It has individual characters theme and one that randomize all of them. Hope you all enjoy it.

Preview:
P1C82S0l.jpg

Download Links:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tzodvx
http://depositfiles.com/files/0qd1c906d
http://bayfiles.com/file/ufSb/rTLDld/P4G_PS3DynamicThemes_Collection.zip

Sweet. I'm still rocking the P4A custom theme, but I may swap to this one just for a change of pace.

Top Bottom