• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Jintor

Pretty easy once you get up to speed on the mechanics

Wow, Kanji's route in Arena has the dumbest reason for entering the TV.
He literally trips on something inconsequential and falls in a tv, god damn

Trigger

Guys, for someone who haven't played any of SMT or Persona games would this be a good entry point?

I enjoyed FFs back in the days XIII and XIII-2 not so much but loved Xenoblade.

How hard is this game?

It's probably the most accessible game in the SMT/Persona franchise. Lots of noob friendly features in addition to a simple story. I'm too lazy to collect the posts, but numerous people who haven't played many JRPGs love it. I think one poster said his last JRPG was FFVII? He loved it till the end.

Pretty easy once you get up to speed on the mechanics

look up his joke route too, do not forget that, same with chie and yukiko

Jintor

Also, the downside to seeing inside everybody's head for narration is that you realise that outside of Yu and Naoto, everybody in Persona 4 is about four times as dumb as you thought

To be fair, in P4
Yu, Yosuke and Chie's inital entrance into the TV was when they tripped over each other while Yosuke had to pee.

Jintor

Jesus christ Kanji. TV studio paraphenalia everywhere, you were in your living room sleeping with a giant flatscreen tv, friends acting almost like your own shadow selves, put the goddamn dots together! Ah you're so adorably dumb though

Question about the True Ending and Margaret's dungeon:

I have to visit the Velvet Room on January 4th to unlock it, yeah?
But now that I've defeated Adachi, doesn't the game jump ahead in time?

Nuklear

Banned
My Persona 4 Anime Blu-Ray discs arrived today and after watching episode 1 it was really hard to turn it off. I need to finish the game first. ><

Chie looks a lot cuter in the anime.

I just rescued Naoto and beat the "tough" shadow in her dungeon. I have a bit to go I think. 65 hours in and this is by far the longest RPG I've played.

In what date are you of the game?

And yeah, somehow Chie manages to look cuter in P4 the Animation that in the game proper

still doesn't matter, Yukiko forever!

Because they purposely made her more cute and "waifuish" in the animu. Not like in the game where she is just a simple tomboy.

Jintor

I'm pretty sure one of the MIB following Mitsuru around is Johnny Young Bosh. It sounds like Adachi is unofficially in the game :\

The anime cutscenes in this are rad as shit. Is it the same studio as Catherine?

Trigger

I'm pretty sure one of the MIB following Mitsuru around is Johnny Young Bosh. It sounds like Adachi is unofficially in the game :\

The anime cutscenes in this are rad as shit. Is it the same studio as Catherine?

Isn't he in everything though? I wasn't bothered by that.

Jintor

Found art!

tumblr_mbaf8szU9n1qcvlv6o1_500.jpg

Mr. Fix

8 hours in, and it's so good. One thing though: why can't I hold all of these events? I feel so bad for having to choose between two +, especially when band and basketball practice conflict. Then there's the new addition of Marie, so I feel the need to favor her over the others. I am a bad person. ._.

Trigger

8 hours in, and it's so good. One thing though: why can't I hold all of these events? I feel so bad for having to choose between two +, especially when band and basketball practice conflict. Then there's the new addition of Marie, so I feel the need to favor her over the others. I am a bad person. ._.

It usually feels that way the first time going through. There's a rhyme and a reason to it that you just can't see yet.

Squire

Banned
Man the
Velvet Room outfits
are so swag.

I'm at Christmas Eve again.

Is there an optional boss in the Novdmber dungeon? I went back in pretty fast after beating it, but the door to the room where the boss was, was locked for some reason. Just trying to make sure I fight them all this run.

Moonlight

Banned
There is definitely a boss. I remember tackling it for my first run. It gives you one of the best pieces of equipment in the game,
the Chakra Ring, which halves SP cost for all abilities. Amazing to put on Naoto or Yukiko.
All of the bonus bosses are locked until the next dungeon opens up.

Squire

Banned
There is definitely a boss. I remember tackling it for my first run. It gives you one of the best pieces of equipment in the game,
the Chakra Ring, which halves SP cost for all abilities. Amazing to put on Naoto or Yukiko.
All of the bonus bosses are locked until the next dungeon opens up.

That's what I figured. I hope I can still go back since I just beat the December dungeon. The extra boss in the November dungeon is the last one, right?

Just cleared P4G, clear time 91 hours and 15 minutes. No idea how it got that high <_<; Mad spoils beneath.

Overall, I really liked all of the additions to the game. They helped flesh out the world and the characters quite a bit.
I didn't really mind the new bathhouse scene, but then I again, I hated the first one so this just seemed like more of the same.

My favorite addition to P4G is how they paced
the final months. Absolutely wonderful. The jump from christmas to march in vanilla P4 really hurt it in my opinion as it didn't come close to the sorrowful last days in P3, but the addition of january and february with the bittersweet new music really impacted that these were the last few days you have to spend with your friends before you go. The montage from 2/15 to 3/19 was masterful, and much better than the standard calendar jump in vanilla P4.

As for Marie, I don't think I would like her character's writing very much if it was just through text, but she had a really talented voice actress that helped sell the whole tsundere thing really well. Props to new Chie and Teddie too - they both won me over and I prefer them to the originals.

The credits and closing sequence was bittersweet and sad, and now I'm going to be bummed out all night because I'll never see this great group of characters and friends again.
Until Atlus sells out and turns Persona 4 into their FF7

Dantis

Nope. Madhouse did Arena, Studio 4C did Catherine.

Catherine's aren't as well drawn, but the animation is better. Both look fantastic though.

I'd assume P5 will use Madhouse again, because they're owned by Index or something.

Jintor

That montage was fucking fantastic.

I've been watching P4A and drawing all day

tumblr_mh8831yfTJ1rnx5rho1_500.jpg

I see why Aigis is Soejima's preferred character, she's really fun to draw. Those arm and leg bits.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Elizabeth is the best girl.

She
single-handedly destroyed the final boss of the Answer
without breaking a sweat after all.

P3MC is a lucky guy. Well, besides that final fate of his...

Jintor

Huh... nobody bothers wearing glasses during P4A. I guess that's only necessary in
the fog created during the case in 2011, and isn't an inherent property of the TV world. Jesus, I'm still not sure what the TV world actually is now... gotta play more Persona games and match things together...!

Noi

Time to post something that'll make Dantis happy for once.

From Soejima-sama himself, an Illustration from Lord of Vermillion R:2

tumblr_mh69d3bfhJ1s0g12go1_r1_500.png

why is there no HQ version

Time to post something that'll make Dantis happy for once.

From Soejima-sama himself, an Illustration from Lord of Vermillion R:2

tumblr_mh69d3bfhJ1s0g12go1_r1_500.png

why is there no HQ version

She looks different there, also it's cool how her papillion heart power thing resembles butterfly wings.....huuuuh...HUUUH?!

Huh... nobody bothers wearing glasses during P4A. I guess that's only necessary in
the fog created during the case in 2011, and isn't an inherent property of the TV world. Jesus, I'm still not sure what the TV world actually is now... gotta play more Persona games and match things together...!

One of Yu's last actions, before unleashing his ultimate persona against Izanami, is to take off the glasses. The TV world itself is "the world of human hearts", the fog is the grime of human hearts. Defeating Izanami removes the fog for good

I really enjoyed the changes. Especially the way they introduced January and February. Before it was one giant slog after the culture festival to the end, at least now they broke it up more and added in some light relief.

Amazing game.

Sea Guardian took a couple of hours to catch, I found it a hellish minigame. Pissed off after finally catching it that Jester arcana didn't max out in the end (I missed the rank 9 event) otherwise I'd have got all the social links on my second playthrough. Now I need a third playthrough to do it all again..... The books trophy as well is insane. Been tripped up on both playthroughs by the Strength Arcana books (rank was too high for the second book event to trigger).

CSX

Dantis

I've beat the game now I want the music. What's the best way to get the soundtrack for Golden?

YesAsia or CDJapan. Remember that most of Golden's music is from the original OST. The Golden OST only has a few notable tracks on it, so it's probably the P4 OST you'd want.

I remember seeing DDS2 theme being posted on one of those RPG battle theme threads. I listened to it and thought "Sick boss battle music"

Then I found out it was for random encounters and was surprised :D

To be fair, the boss music is even better. One of my favourite Meguro tracks by far.

Top Bottom