• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

There's always new friend stuff they could do which is mostly what I'm asking for. You don't get tired of hanging around your RL friends after a year or two right?

I don't know. The Drama CDs are mostly there for that. Of course, I felt the same way with P3 after I initially beat it.

Female protagonist? :O

My wallet is trembling. Surely Atlus wouldn't expect me to triple dip and platinum the game again.

Right?
nULmZ.png

Squire

Banned
*flips table*

I don't even think I could get interested in P5 if it's all new or if I did I doubt I'd be able to fairly judge it. I would just keep wanting the old characters back.

I can understand that. I guess since I was already accustomed to the fact the games change with each entry I side-stepped that feeling completely, but I'd probably feel the same way if I was just finding out.

Marche90

*flips table*

I don't even think I could get interested in P5 if it's all new or if I did I doubt I'd be able to fairly judge it. I would just keep wanting the old characters back.

I'm still secretly hoping that if Atlus decides to continue the P4 Arena storyline they do so in the form of another RPG. That would be Ace... Although it's also scary to think that they can mess it up Compilation of FFVII-style. Doubt it, since Atlus are consistently good, but the possibility is there, especially if they don't use the same development team.

btw, which one was your favorite character?

Jintor

If there was some amazing anti-shadow world taskforce I kind of hope it would be a gaiden game but with a completely dedicated top tier team. But I wouldn't want it at the expense of the next Persona

Derrick01

Banned
I'm still secretly hoping that if Atlus decides to continue the P4 Arena storyline they do so in the form of another RPG. That would be Ace... Although it's also scary to think that they can mess it up Compilation of FFVII-style. Doubt it, since Atlus are consistently good, but the possibility is there, especially if they don't use the same development team.

btw, which one was your favorite character?

Hmm I didn't really think of that.

Female- Probably Yukiko. I had several girlfriends in the game but I chose her to be the one I focused all the events on. She seemed the most mature one of the group but was also able to loosen up and have fun. Voice actress was great too.

Male- Tie between Yosuke/Kanji. Kanji always getting super defensive and nervous was pretty funny and Yosuke was kind of my bro in the game, like Garrus in Mass Effect.

Female- Probably Yukiko. I had several girlfriends in the game but I chose her to be the one I focused all the events on. She seemed the most mature one of the group but was also able to loosen up and have fun. Voice actress was great too.

Male- Tie between Yosuke/Kanji. Kanji always getting super defensive and nervous was pretty funny and Yosuke was kind of my bro in the game, like Garrus in Mass Effect.

Did you actually dislike anyone in the game?

Squire

Banned

Did the same with Yukiko. (I was actually faithful in my second playthrough.)

Yosuke is totally your best friend in that game.

neoemonk

Having fun with my new game plus. Basically playing on very easy, and I bought a Yoshitsune which makes Yukiko's Castle hilariously easy.

I'm just in it for the trophies, though I'll do the
Margaret
fight on the highest difficulty. My first playthrough was on hard so this is great.

Jintor

The game was so much more enjoyable on NG+ because I was so ludicrously overpowered I could basically breeze through every dungeon and could conseuqneitally spend most of my time social linking

Necrovex

I think this is the first time I have actually seen Derrick like a JRPG.

While I love Persona 4 to death, I want a whole new setting and cast. My (unrealistic) hope is a college-setting, then it would make more sense that these students can fuck around and slack off on their school work. I know Japanese high school life is not that easy!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Having fun with my new game plus. Basically playing on very easy, and I bought a Yoshitsune which makes Yukiko's Castle hilariously easy.

I'm just in it for the trophies, though I'll do the
Margaret
fight on the highest difficulty. My first playthrough was on hard so this is great.

Yeah, making the game less difficult makes it so much easier to max out Social Links.

Curufinwe

If you do every dungeon in one day and try and have a matching Persona most of the time, then even on Normal maxing out S. Links is not that hard thanks to the extra month. Apart from that fucking Sea Guardian. Oh and don't put off doing the Empress S.Link to the last day.

Derrick01

Banned
I think this is the first time I have actually seen Derrick like a JRPG.

Well it's one of the few well-written jrpgs I've played at least as far as the interaction between the characters go. I didn't really like anything about the simplistic battle system and dungeons though. Turn based combat is super boring and like most jrpgs it came down to finding the weakness and spamming the correct spell. I think I died once in the entire game and that's only because someone got lucky and took my character out and at the time I didn't know if I'm the only death it's still instant game over.

^I bet you like that Rance game too, which is apparently actually a pretty damn good strategyish game?

Well it's one of the few well-written jrpgs I've played at least as far as the interaction between the characters go. I didn't really like anything about the simplistic battle system and dungeons though. Turn based combat is super boring and like most jrpgs it came down to finding the weakness and spamming the correct spell. I think I died once in the entire game and that's only because someone got lucky and took my character out and at the time I didn't know if I'm the only death it's still instant game over.

Some people actually consider this only mid tier as far as persona writing and characters go. P2 has by far the best characters and writing, but it is plagued by huge gameplay imbalances, a high random encounter rate, a bad tarot system, and since you seem to really dig the social aspect over the actual game aspect, P2 IS and EP has no social aspect. Still one of my favorite games.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

To be fair, Golden is MUCH easier than vanilla on normal. P4 wasn't all that hard to begin with, but you could easily fuck up and lose progress, whereas with Golden, it was pretty much a cakewalk.

ckohler

Each game in the series goes with all new stuff like final fantasy right? All I want from persona 5 is another year with the same characters, maybe use the save data to scan who you picked as a girlfriend and continue that. :(

I totally agree. Persona 5 would intrigue me but damn these kids from Inaba have stolen my heart. It just seems unlikely a new crew could even compair.

Jintor

I totally agree. Persona 5 would intrigue me but damn these kids from Inaba have stolen my heart. It just seems unlikely a new crew could even compair.

You'd be surprised, the SEES of P3 have somehow wormed their way into my heart even though they (start out) more as workmates than they do a group of friends

Squire

Banned

I either don't think it will or don't expect it to.

I've said it before, but P4 is totally the FFVII of niche RPGs.

None of you people know true feels until you witness the joys and sadness of the Masquerade of Phoenix Ranger Featherman R mask wearing kids....;_;

Necrovex

I can at least agree with you on the writing. I enjoyed the turn based combat, but I was a FAR bigger fan of the social link stuff (but I also love VNs, so of course I would love it).

Some people actually consider this only mid tier as far as persona writing and characters go. P2 has by far the best characters and writing, but it is plagued by huge gameplay imbalances, a high random encounter rate, a bad tarot system, and since you seem to really dig the social aspect over the actual game aspect, P2 IS and EP has no social aspect. Still one of my favorite games.

Persona 2 has some solid writing, but I prefer Persona 4's writing over Persona 2's writing. Plus the gameplay in Persona 2 is utter garbage.

Finally finished the game. Jumping right back into a new game plus, and also watching the anime. The lack of Marie in the anime weirds me out a bit, but I'll get used to not hearing "youstupidjerk" soon enough.

I thought the ending of the game was fantastic. Also, in the special epilogue at the end
Kanji's design is hilarious!

Jintor

I have been informed that petting the cat in front of the Dojima residence will eventually fill the street with cats, can anyone confirm/deny

Top Bottom