• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well it's one of the few well-written jrpgs I've played at least as far as the interaction between the characters go. I didn't really like anything about the simplistic battle system and dungeons though. Turn based combat is super boring and like most jrpgs it came down to finding the weakness and spamming the correct spell. I think I died once in the entire game and that's only because someone got lucky and took my character out and at the time I didn't know if I'm the only death it's still instant game over.

I am actually honestly very surprised to see you like this game.

Maybe because I am just sort of used of seeing you lambasting every game known to man that is not made by Obsidian, hahahaha.

Yup, the game's strongest point is without a doubt its social elements. The dungeon and the fighting... not so much (although some of the battle music are really wicked)

Tiu Neo

Finally resumed my NG+ this weekend, played from august to the first days of november. Fuck, I hate this part where you know the game will end soon :(

Will probably get the platinum, too, unless I mess a lot. Which optional bosses you have to kill to fight
Margaret
? All of them up to
Heaven
, or does
Magatsu Madala/Inaba
have one too?

Will probably play Persona 3 Portable after this one, since the only FES version I can play is the PS3 DDL one.

Lusankya

Finally resumed my NG+ this weekend, played from august to the first days of november. Fuck, I hate this part where you know the game will end soon :(

Will probably get the platinum, too, unless I mess a lot. Which optional bosses you have to kill to fight
Margaret
? All of them up to
Heaven
, or does
Magatsu Madala/Inaba
have one too?

Will probably play Persona 3 Portable after this one, since the only FES version I can play is the PS3 DDL one.

The conditions to fight
Margaret
:
Obtained True Ending on the first playthrough
2nd cycle or later
Empress social link maxed before finishing Magatsu Inaba dungeon
The secondary bosses of all the dungeons are defeated before finishing Magatsu Inaba dungeon (the last one is the heaven bonus boss)
On 3/20, once you followed the True Ending path and faced Izanami, you MUST enter the Velvet Room BEFORE ENTERING TV WORLD. You will find yourself alone with Margaret and she will request a fight at the top floor of the Heaven dungeon. If you enter the Velvet Room after entering into the TV World, you wont get invitation.

Tiu Neo

The conditions to fight
Margaret
:
2nd cycle or later
The secondary bosses of all the dungeons are defeated before finishing Magatsu Inaba dungeon (the last one is the heaven bonus boss)
On 3/20, once you followed the True Ending path and faced Izanami, you MUST enter the Velvet Room BEFORE ENTERING TV WORLD. You will find yourself alone with Margaret and she will request a fight at the top floor of the Heaven dungeon. If you enter the Velvet Room after entering into the TV World, you wont get invitation.

Oh, good, so I just need the last optional boss and take care to not mess up on the last day. Thanks :D

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I have been informed that petting the cat in front of the Dojima residence will eventually fill the street with cats, can anyone confirm/deny

Yes. this is true.

When I get home from work, I'll see if I have a save that has the house littered with cats.

Finally finished the game. Jumping right back into a new game plus, and also watching the anime. The lack of Marie in the anime weirds me out a bit, but I'll get used to not hearing "youstupidjerk" soon enough.

I thought the ending of the game was fantastic. Also, in the special epilogue at the end
Kanji's design is hilarious!

The anime is based off the original game, Marie wasn't added until Golden.

Jintor

Man, the anime Naoto VA is a way better actor at hiding the voice, but I'm so used to game Naoto that this feels bizarre

Oddly enough I actually didn't hear that it was a completely different VA until someone told me, I thought the game Naoto just took the chance to do the voice better...

/edit arrgh kanji's va changed arrrgh it's pretty close but it's not right

Man, the anime Naoto VA is a way better actor at hiding the voice, but I'm so used to game Naoto that this feels bizarre

Oddly enough I actually didn't hear that it was a completely different VA until someone told me, I thought the game Naoto just took the chance to do the voice better...

Apparently Troy Baker got married and went on his honeymoon

It's a shame, since I'm fairly certain that he's gone on record to say that Kanji was among his favourite voice roles, if not his absolute favourite.

At least we got him for Arena and the additional Golden stuff!

Has he said anything about playing The Boss in Saints Row The Third?

Lach

Bought the US Import last week and startet playing over the weekend.
Didn't know anything about the game except that GAF loves it (which let me buy it on a whim when I saw it on the shelf). Love it so far! I'm only at the beginning
when you're in the castle to save yukiko, i'm fighting that knight on a horse boss atm
and have no idea what a lot of it means.

Will stay clear of this topic though out of fear of spoilers...

Jintor

His new VA ends sentences weirdly. Like, the beginning of the sentence will kinda sound like Kanji, and then the end... won't.

Curufinwe

The conditions to fight
Margaret
:
2nd cycle or later

So I can
skip rescuing Marie from her awful dungeon
on a 2nd playthru?

Necrovex

Kanji's new VA is better than the different VA who handled Adachi.

Marche90

Well, having both Yu and Adachi within the same vocal range would be even more odd, so he had to make something to differentiate . Still, I think that he did a good job doing that.

Mr. Shankly

Neo Member
Bought the US Import last week and startet playing over the weekend.
Didn't know anything about the game except that GAF loves it (which let me buy it on a whim when I saw it on the shelf). Love it so far! I'm only at the beginning
when you're in the castle to save yukiko, i'm fighting that knight on a horse boss atm
and have no idea what a lot of it means.

Will stay clear of this topic though out of fear of spoilers...

Enjoy the ride Lach! :D

Tamanon

Banned
JYB was perfect for the game version when all they needed him for was sounding cool while saying Persona names.

In the anime, I thought I was watching a Code Geass spinoff. Still serviceable, but odd.

Yes. this is true.

When I get home from work, I'll see if I have a save that has the house littered with cats.

The anime is based off the original game, Marie wasn't added until Golden.

Oh, I know, I was just used to seeing Marie in the Velvet Room whenever I went in there.

That cat thing is freaking amazing. Must do in NG+...

I still think they should have gotten a different VA for Yu.

I think its kind of fitting, given
how they are sort of connected

Mr. Shankly

Neo Member
Oh, I know, I was just used to seeing Marie in the Velvet Room whenever I went in there.

That cat thing is freaking amazing. Must do in NG+...

I think its kind of fitting, given
how they are sort of connected

May I ask
they are connected?

Edit: ALSO THE CAT THING IS AMAZING. I had at least 8 or 9 cats around my house.

May I ask
they are connected?

Edit: ALSO THE CAT THING IS AMAZING. I had at least 8 or 9 cats around my house.

Well, both Adachi and Yu summon Izanagi, with Adachi's taking the form of Magatsu-Izanagi. Additionally, both Adachi and Yu had the powers awakened by Izanami (as did Namatame), with Adachi representing Emptiness and Yu hope. I think Golden expands on the connection nicely, due to the new S. Link with Adachi.

OwlyKnees

Hey guys, quick question on the anime, if anyone could be of help -

Does it stick pretty rigidly to the plot progression from the game? The reason I ask is because I'm at about October in the game and I should have the anime blu-ray set arriving tomorrow. I'm planning to watch one episode a week, as the second box set isn't out until March (Europe), trying to drag them out so it lines up with the third box set during the summer.

Anyway, I'll definitely complete the game in the next few weeks, I just want to make sure that it's safe to start watching the anime (at least the first five or so episodes) without it spoiling any later-game plot points? They don't mix any of the progressions around? As far as I understand it is a pretty rigid adaptation, which sounds ideal for me.

Thanks for any advice. Super excited to get the bluray set. The packaging looks fantastic, along with the dual English/Japanese audio, making it slightly less painful to wait for the European release of each.

Tiu Neo

Does it stick pretty rigidly to the plot progression from the game? The reason I ask is because I'm at about October in the game and I should have the anime blu-ray set arriving tomorrow. I'm planning to watch one episode a week, as the second box set isn't out until March (Europe), trying to drag them out so it lines up with the third box set during the summer.

Anyway, I'll definitely complete the game in the next few weeks, I just want to make sure that it's safe to start watching the anime (at least the first five or so episodes) without it spoiling any later-game plot points? They don't mix any of the progressions around? As far as I understand it is a pretty rigid adaptation, which sounds ideal for me.

Thanks for any advice. Super excited to get the bluray set. The packaging looks fantastic, along with the dual English/Japanese audio, making it slightly less painful to wait for the European release of each.

It spoils a bit of the S. Links, but most of them are different from the games, so I think you'll be ok.

Tamanon

Banned

You won't hit any late game plot points until the second DVD set of the anime, it's fine to start watching the first set.

OwlyKnees

Excellent, thank you also!

Quite excited to get it, as (I'm assuming like most other people) the game and characters have enraptured me so much.

kiyomi

Made the massive mistake of restarting FES the other day, and now I have two of my favourite games ever that I've never actually finished, at the same time.

Dividing time between them is like having the two most needy social links ever.

Mr. Shankly

Neo Member
Well, both Adachi and Yu summon Izanagi, with Adachi's taking the form of Magatsu-Izanagi. Additionally, both Adachi and Yu had the powers awakened by Izanami (as did Namatame), with Adachi representing Emptiness and Yu hope. I think Golden expands on the connection nicely, due to the new S. Link with Adachi.

Woah I didn't notice any of that...

Tamanon

Banned

I'd even go so far as
They also represent warring portions of Dojima's life, Yu being family and Adachi being work.

Squire

Banned
I'd even go so far as
They also represent warring portions of Dojima's life, Yu being family and Adachi being work.

I brought this stuff up myself way earlier in the thread. It's a nice way of thinking, but there's really no connection since Yu and Adachi have different VAs in Japan. The fact of the matter is Atlus just happened to cast JYB as both; they had no way of knowing P4 would blow up in it's space of the industry and Yu (hell, they didn't even know that he had a name at that point) would get to a point where he has full, spoken dialogue.

Tamanon

Banned
I brought this stuff up myself way earlier in the thread. It's a nice way of thinking, but there's really no connection since Yu and Adachi have different VAs in Japan. The fact of the matter is Atlus just happened to cast JYB as both; they had no way of knowing P4 would blow up in it's space of the industry and Yu (hell, they didn't even know that he had a name at that point) would get to a point where he has full, spoken dialogue.

Eh, I'm not even talking about the voice actors now.
The characters themselves were already a pretty obvious pairing for the story

Curufinwe

He's perverted without really knowing what's he talking about, so I didn't find it offensive.
Did Teddie follow you to school in P4? I can't remember, but he has some hilarious lines when you talk to him inside and outside your classroom.

Woah I didn't notice any of that...

You should check out
the creepy new bad ending on youtube
if you haven't already

Tamanon

Banned
He's perverted without really knowing what's he talking about, so I didn't find it offensive.
Did Teddie follow you to school in P4? I can't remember, but he has some hilarious lines when you talk to him inside and outside your classroom.

You should check out
the creepy new bad ending on youtube
if you haven't already

No, it's new that he's in the school, only in Golden

addyb

Started playing this last night. Sunk 2 hours into it and thought it was excellent and I'm pretty much a jrpg virgin. Even though I actually didnt do much apart from get the story started I was utterly engrossed by it.

Cant wait to carry on with it.

ckohler

Started playing this last night. Sunk 2 hours into it and thought it was excellent and I'm pretty much a jrpg virgin. Even though I actually didnt do much apart from get the story started I was utterly engrossed by it.

Enjoy the ride! I hadn't played a JRPG since the PSX so I was in a similar boat as you.

Just be prepared to be be led around a lot at the beginning before the game opens up enough that you get to decide what to do. Even then, expect LONG, LONG cutscenes of dialog, story and character development. It's all fantastic stuff, just expect there to be more of that than actual battles.

I had 96 hours in my play-through. That's the whole story, start to finish. 96 HOURS!

Salaadin

9 episodes in and the anime is still sooo good. Its like Im re-living the entire game in anime form. Well, I am...but you know what I mean. All the great moments are there and the characters are every bit as good. Really enjoying this.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

If you're going to get your cherry popped, might as well start with one of the best.

addyb

Enjoy the ride! I hadn't played a JRPG since the PSX so I was in a similar boat as you.

Just be prepared to be be led around a lot at the beginning before the game opens up enough that you get to decide what to do. Even then, expect LONG, LONG cutscenes of dialog, story and character development. It's all fantastic stuff, just expect there to be more of that than actual battles.

I had 96 hours in my play-through. That's the whole story, start to finish. 96 HOURS!

If you're going to get your cherry popped, might as well start with one of the best.

Yeah I read a good amount of reviews before I decided to get it and at present wouldnt be bothered a great deal if it did remain as basic as it is in the early hours of the game. The characters are great and I'm just really liking the story so far and basically the overall vibe of the game.

Just going to have a few more games of DJMax then I'm back onto it. :)

Omikaru

Each game in the series goes with all new stuff like final fantasy right? All I want from persona 5 is another year with the same characters, maybe use the save data to scan who you picked as a girlfriend and continue that. :(

I felt similar, but then I played Persona 3 afterwards and that cast managed to warm my heart too. I don't think they're as good as P4's, but they were still an amazing cast, and P3's ending was in-fucking-credible. Even if you don't bother with P3, I think if P5 is in the same ballpark as P4 and P3 in terms of quality, you'll make a whole new bunch of amazing memories with that game. Right now you're just in the post-Persona blues that most people go through with P3 and P4 when they enjoyed them. It'll get better eventually.
That bit's a lie. I still get upset that the journey is over, and I finished Persona 4 on PS2 back in 2009.

At any rate, it's strange to see you saying something nice about a game, even if it's kind of a back-handed compliment, haha. I never thought it'd be Persona, mind, especially with the way you were disappointed with the lack of interaction in the social link stuff in the beginning.

Top Bottom