• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Tiu Neo

Obviously, once february 4th hits, it will be Fire Emblem Awakening, dropping everything else like a hot potato.

Yep, Feb. 8 here, but it'll probably be delayed a week... or a month, you never know.

I'll try to get the platinum this weekend, anyway. Jan 10, just need three more S. Links, four books, and
Margaret

kiyomi

Played a couple of hours this morning, my first real sit down with the game in quite a while.

I just reached the first week of December, how many more months left? Guessing 3-4?

I just started New Game + on Very Easy, as I want to go through and complete the social links I didn't the first time round.

Between Very Easy, having a Yoshitsune with a 99 Strength stat, and buying all the high-level weapons from the store that carried over from my last playthrough, the

I just got through Yukiko's Castle, and I one-shotted everything, including the bosses. No enemies or any of my teammates got a turn.

It's also insane how much XP you get; My party is already level 26, just after the first dungeon, with no excessive grinding.

Marche90

Is it just me or does Neogaf not work on pc's right now?

Eh, it does, I'm posting this from my laptop. I think that it does that from time to time, though. Happened to me last week, could browse from the phone but not from my laptop

Try accessing one of the forums directly, it might help

is this game worth getting if you already played Persona 4? it seems the additions are pretty minor and it's a long game

How much do you love Persona 4? There are tons of minor mechanical (some major too) improvements and a ton of nice little scenes and touches added. For example, you can now choose what skills to pass over when you fuse, and you can see every persona you can fuse with your current set of Personae.

There are major additions near the end of the game, such as a few new endings, a new dungeon, the game no longer skips forward 3 months if you fulfill certain conditions, 2 new slinks, among other things.

Dantis

is this game worth getting if you already played Persona 4? it seems the additions are pretty minor and it's a long game

The new additions are mostly either minor or crap. It depends how much you want to replay Persona 4, really.

For the most part, the new content consists of a new dungeon, a new trip and two new social links. There are lots of minor changes, a new epilogue scene and some very short scenes throughout the game also.

The new additions are mostly either minor or crap. It depends how much you want to replay Persona 4, really.

For the most part, the new content consists of a new dungeon, a new trip and two new social links. There are lots of minor changes, a new epilogue scene and some very short scenes throughout the game also.

You gotta agree that a ton of the new minor scenes are great little moments that establish the rapport the crew have with each other though, right?...I am not talking about that shitty spa scene or that k-on band scene.

Dantis

You gotta agree that a ton of the new minor scenes are great little moments that establish the rapport the crew have with each other though, right?...I am not talking about that shitty spa scene or that k-on band scene.

'A ton' is a stretch, but there are a handful of really great shorter scenes.

I also forgot to mention the new S Link levels for the party members, which are frigging amazing.

On the other hand, the new dungeon is widely considered absolute shat.

FluxWaveZ

On the other hand, the new dungeon is widely considered absolute shat.

Why did people not like the new dungeon? To me, aside from
having to go through the barriers, I enjoyed it. Limiting the player's resources was fun
, though maybe I thought that way 'cause I just Aeon Rained my way through everything, so SP was not an issue. Also really liked the music, the overall aesthetic and the final boss.

Everything Marie related was just awful.

Eh, I don't hate her, or really dislike her all that much. It's just one of the only parts that really feels shoehorned, but shes no Ken Amada, that's for sure....Fuck, well those poems made me want to bang my head against a wall...but YEA STILL NO KEN AMADA.

Dantis

Why did people not like the new dungeon? To me, aside from
having to go through the barriers, I enjoyed it. Limiting the player's resources was fun
, though maybe I thought that way 'cause I just Aeon Rained my way through everything, so SP was not an issue. Also really liked the music, the overall aesthetic and the final boss.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I just thought it was a complete waste of time. It wasn't difficult, but it was long. There were no breaks, its context within the story was rubbish, you didn't have any of your gear (Even your outfits? Lame.) and it was thrown in at such a late point that you can just hit Rush for every fight.

No good.

Yep. Pretty much.

Tamanon

Banned
I haven't done her dungeon yet, but I loved Marie as a character. She had a fun personality and the poetry was so obviously awful.

Plus, she allowed Margaret to be cast as the stern mom.

Dantis

I haven't done her dungeon yet, but I loved Marie as a character. She had a fun personality and the poetry was so obviously awful.

Plus, she allowed Margaret to be cast as the stern mom.

She has no personality. That is her problem. Her S Link is just a load of "WOOOOAH, QUIRKY JOKE!" and what little plot there is only plays in really late on.

FluxWaveZ

I will say that practically the only reason I wanted to do Marie's S. Link was to see the involvement of other members of the Investigation Team, kinda like how the Ai Ebihara S. Link is depicted in the anime. Didn't really like Marie as a character until after she resolves her issues.

Sophia

Issue of them learning instruments in World Record time aside, I liked the band scene. :|

Yes. Buy it at least for the several brand new story events and bonus dungeon (the boss of which has the best battle song in the series).

They aren't minor at all. :)

New social links, personae, revamped shuffletime, new events, extra month, extra dungeon, extra bosses.

How much do you love Persona 4? There are tons of minor mechanical (some major too) improvements and a ton of nice little scenes and touches added. For example, you can now choose what skills to pass over when you fuse, and you can see every persona you can fuse with your current set of Personae.

There are major additions near the end of the game, such as a few new endings, a new dungeon, the game no longer skips forward 3 months if you fulfill certain conditions, 2 new slinks, among other things.

cool. guess it's best to wait for a price drop then? Being able to choose your skills is good, but it seems the new dungeon is pretty bad. If the extra story events/social links aren't too long then maybe it would be fine to watch them on Youtube. I'm assuming by what you're saying that they don't really add any significance or context to the game and they're just "nice extra scenes". Seems decent, but I just played through P4 2 years ago, so playing it again so soon without significant extras might cause burnout

£20 is a fair price/?

FluxWaveZ

Issue of them learning instruments in World Record time aside, I liked the band scene. :|

They should have had Yosuke's dad thank the Investigation Team afterwards or something, seeing as that's pretty much why the performance was done in the first place (well, aside from Yosuke having to potentially leave Inaba).

Also found it weird that Rise's reasoning to have her friends perform with her is that she didn't want to perform on stage alone. She's an idol! With her connections, she could have probably had a bunch of actual musicians perform with her or something.

I liked the band, but it just felt a bit shoehorned in.

They should have had Yosuke's dad thank the Investigation Team afterwards or something, seeing as that's pretty much why the performance was done in the first place (well, aside from Yosuke having to potentially leave Inaba).

Also found it weird that Rise's reasoning to have her friends perform with her is that she didn't want to perform on stage alone. She's an idol! With her connections, she could have probably had a bunch of actual musicians perform with her or something.

I liked the band, but it just felt a bit shoehorned in.

At least it wasn't that bad. The other new scene in question, was the bottom of the barrel, lowest of the lowest form of fan service. I hope Atlus doesn't have to resort to that often in the future.

Sophia

I think it was the execution more than anything that bothered me. There's something kind of similar in Corpse Party BoS, and I loved it.

Meh, I'm fine with it. Plus the
crowd-diving
was hilariously awesome.

Also wow Rampage Drive is about several hundred times easier on Persona 3 Portable when Mazio doesn't equal Yukari losing turns. >_>;

Loved the band scene... Reminded me of band practice in high school, so it kinda brought back memories.

As for Marie's dungeon... It was just okay. I understood what they were trying to do but meh, it was annoying.

Squire

Banned
I will say that practically the only reason I wanted to do Marie's S. Link was to see the involvement of other members of the Investigation Team, kinda like how the Ai Ebihara S. Link is depicted in the anime. Didn't really like Marie as a character until after she resolves her issues.

That's the thing about Marie's S. Link: It's basically just a much worse version of Ai's S. Link. Tsundere to the max.

trinityshit.png

P4G has the worse opening in the entire series and shadow world is the worst song meguro has ever made. I always use to skip the opening because it looked like it was going to be stupid. Looks like I was right, Fuck this happy ass game. How the hell do you go from the brilliant soul phase from p3p to that shit?

P4G has the worse opening in the entire series and shadow world is the worst song meguro has ever made. I always use to skip the opening because it looked like it was going to be stupid. Looks like I was right, Fuck this happy ass game. How the hell do you go from the brilliant soul phase from p3p to that shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpeQzYbjLE

I thought P3P had the shittiest intro btw. P3 OG was so much better. Talking about the intro itself, not the song.

Dantis

This is the best thing I've seen all day. Love it.

The actual intro video is dire. Shadow World is mediocre by Meguro standards, but I dislike Time To Make History a lot more.

I don't care for Soul Phrase either.

I actually like it more, as P4 has always been happier than P3. But that's me, as I like the 'Scooby Doo' aspect of P4G despite the storyline having dark elements.

Am I worse than Hitler for really liking both Shadow World and Time To Mak history?

Because I like both of them better than their P4 counterparts.

I'll show myself the door :(

Sophia

Am I worse than Hitler for really liking both Shadow World and Time To Mak history?

Because I like both of them better than their P4 counterparts.

I'll show myself the door :(

Nah. I love Time To Make History myself a lot. Shadow World's grown on me. Neither of them beat Reach Out To the Truth tho.

Omikaru

But the reward at the end with the epilogue made all her bad poetry so worth it.

Amazing.

I remember watching Trinity Soul and coming away crushed with disappointment. I already had super low expectations, and it sank below them.

The first half was serviceable, but the second half just descended into nonsensical madness. So bad!

Is it horrible that it took me 95hrs to beat this game first playthrough?
That's how long I took, and this was my second time through (I beat it on PS2 years ago). Don't be ashamed; you just have 95 hours of pure enjoyment. Honestly, I wish it was longer...

Top Bottom