• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
P3P IS a neutered product, compared to vanilla and FES, but it does make up for it with the female route and being able to control your party. There are some other additions too. Although, the skill card system can basically break the game.

They were going to put P4 on the PSP but they wanted it as close to the PS2 version, so they didn't.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30...anned-for-psp/

The female protagonist is still the best part of P3 though.

Chairhome

Been playing P4G for a good week now and have about 12 hours in. I've been grinding, trying to beat Contrarian King but he keeps killing me. I think I'm just going to move on for now. Love the game right now though.

QP3

Possible Spoiler Ahead (~15 hours)

I have been having a lot of issues with the optional bosses. For example, last night I was playing and decided to tackle the optional boss from Kanji's bathhouse (btw that place is weird). He pretty much manhandles me. I can get him down to about half health, but not much more.

Should I be stronger? I have never played a persona game, so I am not sure hot to judge my current level and whether or not it is adequate. Thanks!

OwlyKnees

That specific boss will target any weaknesses the party have, but is also weak to electricity. Bring along a persona that deals good electrical damage (or Kanji) but is not weak to ice or wind and the characters who are weak to ice and wind you can have defend and attack at opportune moments.

You could do with levelling up a little, but most of the optional bosses in the game are just time-sinks, not particularly deadly (minus one or two).

suikodan

I'm currently in January in P4G so you can guess where I'm at story-wise but I need your opinion Persona-GAF

I played P3 on PS3 a long time ago. Did not complete it though.

Then I started P3P and played quite a lot
I just got Aegis, the robot
but dropped it for some reason.

Now I'm in P4G and I LOVE it too much. I know I'm near the endgame and that I'll miss this game for a long time. I wonder if I'll keep my Persona momentum if I resume my P3P's save so I wonder if it's safe to go back to P3P after finishing P4G, storywise, gameplay-wise, yada yada.

So... restart P3P? Resume my P3P game or play something else?

20110810ThreeGuys.jpg

Ahahahah, took this screenshot as well.

Tamanon

Banned
Possible Spoiler Ahead (~15 hours)

I have been having a lot of issues with the optional bosses. For example, last night I was playing and decided to tackle the optional boss from Kanji's bathhouse (btw that place is weird). He pretty much manhandles me. I can get him down to about half health, but not much more.

Should I be stronger? I have never played a persona game, so I am not sure hot to judge my current level and whether or not it is adequate. Thanks!

They're a little bit weird in this game. You usually can't beat them until the next dungeon anyways. Probably just need to level up and/or fuse more.

Alec

I'm about 65 hours in on my first playthrough of P4G (this is my first Persona experience) on Normal difficulty. Good lord this game is difficult. I'm just about to go into
Marie's dungeon
and I was hoping one of you all could give me some combination of skills and items that will help me dominate the rest of the game. Or some sort of exploit or something. I am not looking forward to beating my head against a wall for hours until the AI decides to cut me a break on these boss fights.

But in general, this is the best JRPG I've ever played.

Easymode exploit for beating that dungeon's gimmick:

Keep Teddie in your party and have him spam Kamui Miracle whenever your SP gets low until you get the "All HP and SP restored" effect. Also, be sure to use the "Break" items you find on the minibosses and boss.

Longterm, I'd reccomend fusing a Trumpeter. It's got the best buffs and debuffs in the game and can have Spell Master and Mind Charge fused onto it, which breaks the game and makes the last handful of bosses incredibly easy.

Alec

Easymode exploit for beating that dungeon's gimmick:

Keep Teddie in your party and have him spam Kamui Miracle whenever your SP gets low until you get the "All HP and SP restored" effect. Also, be sure to use the "Break" items you find on the minibosses and boss.

Longterm, I'd reccomend fusing a Trumpeter. It's got the best buffs and debuffs in the game and can have Spell Master and Mind Charge fused onto it, which breaks the game and makes the last handful of bosses incredibly easy.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'll take more if you've got it. :)

Alright, here goes:

Fuse a Loki with Ice Amp and Niflheim if you can. If you use this combo, you can inflict massive damage to most bosses (needs to be in this exact order):

Turn 1: Equip Trumpeter if it isn't already. Use Mind Charge.
Turn 2: Use Debilitate on the boss.
Turn 3: Use Heat Riser on yourself.
Turn 4: Switch to Loki and use a Mind Charge-boosted Niflheim. Watch as the enemy crumbles like a paper cup.

Just keep in mind that in order to get Mind Charge on Trumpeter, you need to level the Taotie used to fuse it up to 38 pre-fusion.

Another useful tip: Return to the top floor of
Heaven next time you can, beat the bonus boss, and then check the first flower patch to the left after crossing the bridge.
You'll find a Chakra Ring, which halves the SP cost of all skills when equipped.

Finally, the True Final Boss has a move that insta-kills everyone with a status ailment, so keep Yukiko's Re Patra handy if she's in your party.

Alec

Alright, here goes:

Fuse a Loki with Ice Amp and Niflheim if you can. If you use this combo, you can inflict massive damage to most bosses (needs to be in this exact order):

Turn 1: Equip Trumpeter if it isn't already. Use Mind Charge.
Turn 2: Use Debilitate on the boss.
Turn 3: Use Heat Riser on yourself.
Turn 4: Switch to Loki and use a Mind Charge-boosted Niflheim. Watch as the enemy crumbles like a paper cup.

Just keep in mind that in order to get Mind Charge on Trumpeter, you need to level the Taotie used to fuse it up to 38 pre-fusion.

Another useful tip: Return to the top floor of
Heaven next time you can, beat the bonus boss, and then check the first flower patch to the left after crossing the bridge.
You'll find a Chakra Ring, which halves the SP cost of all skills when equipped.

Finally, the True Final Boss has a move that insta-kills everyone with a status ailment, so keep Yukiko's Re Patra handy if she's in your party.

Amazing, thanks again. :)

Nuklear

Banned
I beat P4G over the weekend and have moved on to the anime and man I'm disappointed they changed the music for the opening of the show and the ending(for the second season). The music is still good but the music from the first season is just great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcy47RKeDCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIZ7GZl1qM

Teddie is the best character in both the game and the anime. He's just so fucking godlike!

Edit: I'll also say P4G has one of my favorite music soundtracks of all time. It might be my #1.

Teddie is way, way too perverted and whiny for me to have any time for him. Harshest answers/neglect all day long, please.

How can you hate teddie for being perverted? He doesn't know any better, he's like a nine year old just repeating things he's heard.

Now, Yosuke pissed me the fuck off with his constant harrassment of the girls and general dickishness to Kanji.

OwlyKnees

How can you hate teddie for being perverted? He doesn't know any better, he's like a nine year old just repeating things he's heard.

Now, Yosuke pissed me the fuck off with his constant harrassment of the girls and general dickishness to Kanji.

Exactly, he's like a nine year old. That's why I said whiny, too. True, other characters display these outstanding attributes also, but none grate quite as much as Teddie.

Alec

Due to the way the end-game plays out, I haven't been able to put much time into making good on those tips (apart from collecting the needed Personas), but I beat
Marie
in like 5 minutes and it was probably the easiest boss in the game so far. Needless to say, it was refreshing as fuck.

Just got into the
Izanami
dungeon but haven't played any of it yet. Judging from various strategies I've been looking at, it seems like this boss is going to kick my ass.

Dantis

Teddie is way, way too perverted and whiny for me to have any time for him. Harshest answers/neglect all day long, please.

Haha, oh shit. Don't play Persona Arena then.

The characters are reduced to exaggerated portrayals of their most fan-friendly characteristics. Any depth Teddie had is completely gone.

OwlyKnees

Haha, oh shit. Don't play Persona Arena then.

The characters are reduced to exaggerated portrayals of their most fan-friendly characteristics. Any depth Teddie had is completely gone.

Ugh. I was actually looking forward to the European release. :(

I will still hold out for the gameplay! Especially since I can physically pummel Teddie. That sounds like a good deal.

Allforce

I just got to the part where I really have some choice as to what to do with my time in game and I'm completely overwhelmed. The game keeps pointing towards this ominous day when the fog comes and I'm going to have to be ready to go save a person but I don't really know what i'm supposed to do in the meantime. Train? And if so where? Where do I buy items to use on this quest like potions/etc?

I'm also kind of lost on the Persona system and how I'm supposed to be using this Compendium and fusing these things. Am I just too early in the game to be worrying about this stuff? I haven't played an RPG in 10+ years and it's a lot of info to process at once.

I'm on Normal so am I basically going to be able to just wing it and have a good time or do I really need to start formulating a strategy? I'm really digging the characters and story so far but I don't want to run into some proverbial wall and not be able to finish it.

Sorry for all the questions. :D

Nuklear

Banned
The game will will give you warnings before you hit the wall. The first dungeon is really easy so don't worry if you aren't high enough level. Just fight every shadow you see.

Use your downtime to build social links and also raising your stats by picking up part-time jobs. In my first play through I didn't really focus on building my stats much and maxxed them pretty easily. There's a lot of leeway on building them up.

As for Persona's I don't really have much advice. I think I did a poor job of managing my Persona's but I tried to keep a debuff/buffer Persona, Physical Persona, and then a Mage type Persona. The debuff/buffer Persona won't be that important early in the game but those spells later in the game are pretty vital.

I just got to the part where I really have some choice as to what to do with my time in game and I'm completely overwhelmed. The game keeps pointing towards this ominous day when the fog comes and I'm going to have to be ready to go save a person but I don't really know what i'm supposed to do in the meantime. Train? And if so where? Where do I buy items to use on this quest like potions/etc?

I'm also kind of lost on the Persona system and how I'm supposed to be using this Compendium and fusing these things. Am I just too early in the game to be worrying about this stuff? I haven't played an RPG in 10+ years and it's a lot of info to process at once.

I'm on Normal so am I basically going to be able to just wing it and have a good time or do I really need to start formulating a strategy? I'm really digging the characters and story so far but I don't want to run into some proverbial wall and not be able to finish it.

For most of the game, you can finish the dungeons in a single game-day, and then spend the rest of the month doing whatever else you want. Don't worry too much about the compendium, but keep fusing your personas. They level more slowly than the protagonist, so unless you're using level up cards on them, the best way to keep your personas up to date is by fusing them into higher leveled ones.

Potions can be bought at the Shiroku, but SP regen items can only be found in the dungeons themselves.

The game starts off sort of midly challenging, but if you take the time to clear the floors and track down golden hands, you'll be breezing through it in no time. The Castle was the only dungeon that took me more than one day to clear, since you don't have any sources of SP/HP regen.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

As long as you don't have to rescue anybody, you hang out with the other members of your team or do other social links. I would focus on your teammates first. The shops are all at the shopping district, but if you are very early in the game you won't have too much to spend. If you want to train, just go to Junes and go to the foodcourt, you can enter the TV anytime you wish.

Very early in the game, don't worry too much about fusing, just stick to what you get during shuffle time. I'd say around 25 or so is when you should really worry about fusing.
I usually try to keep one persona of each element, to try and get the 1 MORE from the weaknesses.

You'll be able to wing the entire game really, there is a point that it will tell you that major story elements happen and to save your game, that's near the end. Just save everyone that gets thrown in by the allotted time, and you'll be OK. You should, be able to clear the dungeon in a day or two.

Omikaru

Fog/Clearing Dungeons

It's best advised to get the dungeon segments out of the way as soon as they come up. So hop into the dungeon, grind until you're at the boss' level (people on GAF can help you work out a boss level, and failing that there are guides out there), then take the bastard on. I wouldn't leave dungeon crawling until the rain/fog, because that leaves you with extremely limited time if you screw a dungeon run up and have to evacuate until the next day. For example, you could encounter a tough enemy that decimates your party, and you have to run away and then evacuate the dungeon using Goho-M. There's probably not much you can do at that point, especially early on in the game before you get a certain Social Link that allows you to buy dungeon healing, so you'll have to exit the TV and come back the next day. If you're perilously close to the deadline, that could screw you over big time. So tackle it early to mitigate these issues.

As for the fog itself, it sets in after it's rained for several days in a row. When you look at the weather forecast (check the TV downstairs) and see it's going to rain for a few days in a row, you'd best get your arse into gear and clear the dungeon. However, if you do screw up and you miss the deadline, the game lets you rewind time by 7 days, which is more than enough time to fix everything up (as a reference: once you get used to the game's mechanics, you'll be clearing dungeons in one day on Normal difficulty).

Personally, I prefer clearing a dungeon on the first day or two that it becomes available, just so I can get on with the social links part of the game until the next dungeon opens.

Activities Outside of Dungeons

Talk to people in school/in Inaba. Get a job (jobs board is near the Chinese restaurant, item shop, weapon shop and so on). Strong Social Links help with fusing Persona of the same arcana. Don't forget to improve your skills too (like intelligence, diligence, and so on), as these are required to be at a certain level to unlock certain Social Links; you won't click with certain characters until you have a certain level of intelligence and understanding, or whatever.

Of course, whilst these Social Links have benefits in fusion, they're also amazingly well-written (on the most part) and worth doing for their own story line.

If you do a social activity with any of your Social Links, that takes up time and you won't be able to go into the TV on that day (unless it's an evening SL, like your job or Nanako/Dojima).

Fusion
Fusion is simple: you combine Personas to make stronger ones. Eventually, your Personas will run out of new abilities to learn. At this point (or even before) you can fuse two (or three, or even more later on in the game) together to make a stronger Persona. If you had a rare/favourite ability on an older Persona, you can carry this ability over to the new one, but many strong Persona will have stronger versions of abilities that weaker ones have, so be judicious about which ones you bring forward. The game will let you pick which abilities to carry over (this is on P4G only; on P4 for PS2 it's random). A fused Persona will get bonus EXP if you have a Social Link in the same arcana that you're fusing into. If that's a Lv1.Social Link, the EXP bonus will be small. A Max.Social Link will give lots of EXP. This is the best way to level up Persona, as they take a lot more experience to level up through battles than party members do.

You do all of your fusion in the Velvet Room.

Items

Items can be found in dungeons. You can also get some items in shops in Inaba. There's a weapons shop and a general goods store that stocks health potions and other aid items. Items for SP recovery can be acquired from one of the vending machines, but they're extremely limited in how much SP they restore, and how many you can buy. The best SP recovery items are acquired in chests.

The weapon shop is essential. You sell the weaponsmith materials you picked up from battles, and he crafts them into new weapons. You should probably visit regularly, sell him all your raw materials (they are useless for anything else), and pimp out your characters with new gear. Generally, the newer it is, the stronger it'll be/more protection it'll add, but there's a handy comparison feature when buying items that let's you see which stats go up and down with new each item you equip compared to your currently equipped one.

--

It may seem like a lot to take but, but just take your time to learn all of these things. I guess you can get the hang of it in less than 4 hours, and that's a really conservative estimate. You'll probably pick it up quicker. By time you're on the second dungeon, all of this will be second nature to you. Have fun!

Allforce

Thanks everyone!

I guess I didn't realize that I could go in and practice fighting dungeon monsters and whatnot before I had to tackle "the rescue". I was basically worried that I was doing too much dicking around and not leveling up enough to take it on when it eventually happens.

So I'm looking at tackling each "dungeon" about once a month? I thought it was going to be a lot closer together. I saw rain coming up in 2 days and freaked out thinking I had to go in and fight soon and had no idea what I'm doing.

Trigger

Thanks everyone!

I guess I didn't realize that I could go in and practice fighting dungeon monsters and whatnot before I had to tackle "the rescue". I was basically worried that I was doing too much dicking around and not leveling up enough to take it on when it eventually happens.

So I'm looking at tackling each "dungeon" about once a month? I thought it was going to be a lot closer together. I saw rain coming up in 2 days and freaked out thinking I had to go in and fight soon and had no idea what I'm doing.

Just about. This game has a lot of content so by your second playthrough you'll be a pro.

Maxim726X

So... Uhh... I think I beat it? I guess I got a shitty ending, since the game fast-forwarded 3 months and then abruptly went to credits.

Teaches me right for not using a guide.

Trigger

So... Uhh... I think I beat it? I guess I got a shitty ending, since the game fast-forwarded 3 months and then abruptly went to credits.

Teaches me right for not using a guide.

lol, happens to everyone the first time. Correct responses in spoiler tags to save you time:

"Wait a second here..." ->
"We're missing something." ->
"Namatame's true feelings." ->
"Something's bothering me." ->
"We're missing something..." ->
"Calm the hell down!"

Maxim726X

lol, happens to everyone the first time. Correct responses in spoiler tags to save you time:

"Wait a second here..." ->
"We're missing something." ->
"Namatame's true feelings." ->
"Something's bothering me." ->
"We're missing something..." ->
"Calm the hell down!"

Ahh I made it halfway through... Interesting way to handle the 'ending'.

Thanks. I would have restarted a NG+. I guess I know how much time I have left to max out my social links now.

Allforce

I jumped right into the castle dungeon and I'm getting my ass kicked and am out of items to save my skin, can I use that item to leave the dungeon and then continue later from the same floor I left from? I'm on like the 5th floor but I don't want to have to go back through all this again later.

Noi

I was just about to throw the towel on the Secret Lab's midboss (Herculean Strike, get a crit, Power Charge, repeat ad nauseum), but thanks to Hanuman I managed to have JUST my MC survive the onslaught and chip away at him before slowly bringing everyone back to life and setting up some debuffs. Had to use a lot of valuable items to do so, but at least I got it done in one go.

Wonder how much longer I'm gonna spend in this place...

Jayhawk

I was just about to throw the towel on the Secret Lab's midboss (Herculean Strike, get a crit, Power Charge, repeat ad nauseum), but thanks to Hanuman I managed to have JUST my MC survive the onslaught and chip away at him before slowly bringing everyone back to life and setting up some debuffs. Had to use a lot of valuable items to do so, but at least I got it done in one go.

Wonder how much longer I'm gonna spend in this place...

If my memory isn't failing me, I believe that mid-boss is best fought using Defend after every Power Charge. With everybody defending his attacks, the fight becomes very easy.

Noi

If my memory isn't failing me, I believe that mid-boss is best fought using Defend after every Power Charge. With everybody defending his attacks, the fight becomes very easy.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing once I managed to bring everyone back to life. Problem is, his first few attacks caught me off guard and pretty much wiped out my party sans MC in two strikes.

(I'm playing on Very Hard, mind, those attacks HURT.)

Jintor

I really wish I had gone into P4G blind, even though I love the Endurance Run. Would've liked to know if I would've gotten that. I think though that if Vinny and Jeff got it you'd think there'd be a pretty good chance of everybody getting it, it's pretty clear shit's not wrapped by then...

FluxWaveZ

I really wish I had gone into P4G blind, even though I love the Endurance Run. Would've liked to know if I would've gotten that. I think though that if Vinny and Jeff got it you'd think there'd be a pretty good chance of everybody getting it, it's pretty clear shit's not wrapped by then...

I'm pretty sure it was all but confirmed Jeff had consulted a guide/fans for that moment in the ER as he knew there were multiple endings and he's the one who convinced Vinny to make all of those correct dialogue choices (which is clear if you go back to those episodes).

Also, he had been spoiled by the hiimdaisy comic during the ER (though, that doesn't have much to do with the endings).

My first time through OG P4, I had made one poor dialogue choice which landed me a bad ending. Reloading at that point, I made the correct ones, but achieved the Normal ending because I didn't do that one thing you need to to get the True ending. I don't like how the game handles multiple endings.

Jintor

I think it's great, but my perspective is skewed, and the fact that elsewhere in the game dialogue choices largely don't matter probably isn't great.

Trigger

I got the bad ending my first time through since the tone of some of those choices is so neutral. If not for Gamefaqs I wouldn't have known there was a true end.

Top Bottom