• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Moaradin

dude, by the time I finished p4g for the first time I had logged in like...63 hours at hte very least.

I'm playing this game for the first time and I already logged 80 hours, and I'm not done yet. This isn't even Golden either, so it would probably be longer with all the new content.

Maxim726X

I'm playing this game for the first time and I already logged 80 hours, and I'm not done yet. This isn't even Golden either, so it would probably be longer with all the new content.

I was at 51 when I finished my first playthrough... What are people doing to add so many hours? I didn't really dabble too much into the fishing or bug catching so I'm sure there's that.

Lusankya

I was at 51 when I finished my first playthrough... What are people doing to add so many hours? I didn't really dabble too much into the fishing or bug catching so I'm sure there's that.

Well, not advancing the text before the VAs are done speaking, level grinding, completing side quests, walking around speaking with everybody, fusing/improving tons of personas etc.

OwlyKnees

Well, not advancing the text before the VAs are done speaking, level grinding, completing side quests, walking around speaking with everybody, fusing/improving tons of personas etc.

I was way too OCD with this. I would check the same people every in-game day or two. Even though I knew it would take at least a week for them to change.

The plan was usually running about school after class ended, speaking to everyone on each floor + the practice building, hitting the streets and chatting to everyone in the main shopping district, checking the plains and then finally deciding on a social link/activity.

HOURS.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Do I have to delay doing
Magatsu Inaba
in order to see the Christmas Eve events?

Once you finish Magatsu Inaba time skips to Christmas Eve iirc.

Dizzy-4U

Should I bother with Marie S.Link on my first run? She's Aeon and I can't find the damn card through fusion (very early in the game).

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Should I bother with Marie S.Link on my first run? She's Aeon and I can't find the damn card through fusion (very early in the game).

It's really easy to Rank her without a card. I only recall one incident where I didn't get a rank from a date.

Noi

Yeah, I went through all of her S. Link without having an Aeon persona. Most of her rank ups don't give any points, so you'll spend the same amount of time with her regardless.

Astra

My final save time after my getting the platinum trophy on my second playthru was 120 hours.

For Persona 3, I clocked around 130 hours. For Persona 4 on the PS2, I clocked maybe 90 hours.
Both games were worth every minute!

I finally got back to Golden after a gaming funk. I decided to restart though. Thank God for the ability to skip scenes, or that opening bit would have been brutal.

Curufinwe

Speaking of deadlines, I'll mention again that you can't leave the Empress S.Link to do on the final day. Get it done in January at the latest to be safe.

Omikaru

I'd say yes. Completing her S.Link is pretty crucial to experiencing a good 60-70% of the new content in P4: Golden. If you don't beat her S.Link then you get an experience closer to the PS2 version in terms of content, but with a few added events and a broad range of new gameplay features (such as drive-by attacks in battles, Rise's super buffed abilities, and skill selection through fusion to name a few).

If this is your first time playing P4, you could probably miss it and have an awesomely fantastic experience (but be sure to unlock it on NG+ because it adds some cool bits, even if the S.Link itself is... eh...), but if you've beaten P4 before then you need to do her content for an amazing new scene
at the end

Allforce

Is there any way to lower the difficulty after you've started a game? I'm playing on Normal but this being my first JRPG in forever I am getting my ass kicked through and through and it's really killing my enjoyment. I love the characters and the story but getting killed in 1 attack by a boss is killing my resolve to keep playing. I can't do anything.

Miker

Is there any way to lower the difficulty after you've started a game? I'm playing on Normal but this being my first JRPG in forever I am getting my ass kicked through and through and it's really killing my enjoyment. I love the characters and the story but getting killed in 1 attack by a boss is killing my resolve to keep playing. I can't do anything.

I don't think so. At least in the original PS2 version, when you were selecting your difficulty, the game actually warned you that you couldn't change your difficulty later on. Anyway, a lot of P4's difficulty is front-loaded, so let us know what boss you're on, we'll help you out, and once you get past it, you'll be cruising through in no time. In fact, Golden is supposed to be way too easy in the late game due to all the crazy skills you'll get through S. links.

Allforce

Haha I'm trying to save Yukiko and I'm at the boss.

I can probably power through it but it's so frustrating to just lose after one shot and have to start all the way over again.

Alchemy

Does this game pick up at all? I think I'm putting it down about 20 hours in mostly because I can't stand the "kids in school" sections of the games. I just want the plot to move forward so I can play the game instead of reading endless dialogue about camping or motorcycles.

johnsmith

remember me
Does this game pick up at all? I think I'm putting it down about 20 hours in mostly because I can't stand the "kids in school" sections of the games. I just want the plot to move forward so I can play the game instead of reading endless dialogue about camping or motorcycles.

If you're not in love with the game by now, it's not for you.

Miker

Haha I'm trying to save Yukiko and I'm at the boss.

I can probably power through it but it's so frustrating to just lose after one shot and have to start all the way over again.

That's the part where most people get stuck. It's been a while since I've played (and I played vanilla), so that was so early in the game I don't remember what I did to actually get past it beyond grinding a little bit. Just wait a little bit and I'm sure somebody will offer more in-depth advice about which personas to fuse and stuff.

Moaradin

Finally finished it at 85 hours. Kinda sad to see it end, since I've been playing this game for over a month now. Off to watch the anime now I guess.

Alchemy

I'm kind of curious now that this game hasn't stuck with me, what do people like the most about this game? I feel like I'm missing something.

Moaradin

I'm kind of curious now that this game hasn't stuck with me, what do people like the most about this game? I feel like I'm missing something.

I love the story, characters, the dungeon crawler segments, jrpg/pokemon style combat, etc. I kinda wish I got into the series earlier.

The music and presentation is baller also.

Jintor

Personally I love the school aspect of it. The time management thing of balancing all these different plates which leads to rewards in the dungeon and so on, as well as exploring all the stories and characters in the 'real life' section - that's Persona for me, which is making me hesitant to go back to P1 and P2 which I will probably end up doing sometime this year.

Alchemy

I love the story, characters, the dungeon crawler segments, jrpg/pokemon style combat, etc. I kinda wish I got into the series earlier.

The music and presentation is baller also.

I guess it makes sense, I liked pretty much everything but the characters and the real life stuff. Its just that those elements take up so much of the game it was making the experience drag on for me.

Moaradin

I guess it makes sense, I liked pretty much everything but the characters and the real life stuff. Its just that those elements take up so much of the game it was making the experience drag on for me.

The real world stuff was a very nice break from the dungeon crawling for me. I was spending up to 7 hours at a time in one dungeon, so going back to the real world was something I looked forward to every time.

Alchemy

The real world stuff was a very nice break from the dungeon crawling for me. I was spending up to 7 hours at a time in one dungeon, so going back to the real world was something I looked forward to every time.

Damn, I don't think I ever spent that much time in a dungeon. I was able to blow through the dungeons in one run (plus another for the secondary bosses), just had to pack some items for the trip.

Moaradin

Damn, I don't think I ever spent that much time in a dungeon. I was able to blow through the dungeons in one run (plus another for the secondary bosses), just had to pack some items for the trip.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm not sure how it is on the Golden version, but in the PS2 version, dungeons were very hard on normal. Especially the first 3 dungeons in particular.

I'm getting one hit killed by random normal enemies in like the fourth floor of a dungeon.

Allforce

Oh I've been there too, I guess I just don't know what inventory I'm supposed to be carrying. I've got 17K in money but there are zero items to buy in order to revamp SP. So I get through a floor where after 3-4 battles with shadow enemies I am completely out of juice to use my Persona attacks or heal anyone or anything. Same goes for Yosuke and Chie.

Gahhh I'm gonna give up on 6+ hours of playtime and start over aren't I? I knew when I started I should just have just said fuck it and gone with "VERY EASY"

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh I've been there too, I guess I just don't know what inventory I'm supposed to be carrying. I've got 17K in money but there are zero items to buy in order to revamp SP. So I get through a floor where after 3-4 battles with shadow enemies I am completely out of juice to use my Persona attacks or heal anyone or anything. Same goes for Yosuke and Chie.

Gahhh I'm gonna give up on 6+ hours of playtime and start over aren't I? I knew when I started I should just have just said fuck it and gone with "VERY EASY"

The vending machine outside the store sells TaP that gives you 10 SP, but you can only buy 5 per week.

The first dungeon is really the peak of difficulty, don't feel too bad. They did revamp it a little bit, so it was even harder on vanilla.

The vending machine outside the store sells TaP that gives you 10 SP, but you can only buy 5 per week.

The first dungeon is really the peak of difficulty, don't feel too bad. They did revamp it a little bit, so it was even harder on vanilla.

Rise's dungeon has been the hardest dungeon for me by a wide margin.

TheBear

Generally what's the best way to tackle dungeons?
Complete them in one day? Also, if you decide to leave a dungeon, is your progress saved at any point that you can return to? Currently in the 3rd dungeon and running low on SP, but don't want to have to do the whole thing all over again.

Mr. Fix

Generally what's the best way to tackle dungeons?
Complete them in one day? Also, if you decide to leave a dungeon, is your progress saved at any point that you can return to? Currently in the 3rd dungeon and running low on SP, but don't want to have to do the whole thing all over again.

I always go there at the first chance I get. My first runs are always about getting as far as I can while figuring out weaknesses. I'm wondering how others do it as well. It seems unlikely that you can do it in one day.

I always go there at the first chance I get. My first runs are always about getting as far as I can while figuring out weaknesses. I'm wondering how others do it as well. It seems unlikely that you can do it in one day.

It's highly recommended to do it in one day so you can focus on social links. There's a persona that learns invigorate 2(recovers 5 sp per turn) early on and you can easily abuse it by going to the first dungeon and just guard until your sp is maxed. Then spend the money on your party's sp. Look for gold hands(is that the name?) and you'll easily make around 4k each time. I forgot the name of the persona even though I was just playing it a while ago...

This is my first time playing it on the vita but it really seems they made it a lot easier than the ps2 version. The additional social links however makes it seem like you really have to manage it well to max every one of them. Although I maxed P3P without a guide, don't think I'll take the chances here.

Curufinwe

I did every dungeon in one day, and managed to max out all my S.Links on my first playthru without following a guide. I tried to have a matching Persona as much as possible, but I didn't always have one.

Early on buy all the TaP sodas you can from the vending machine by Shiroku to refill your SP in dungeons, and once the
fox
appears, make that S.Link a priority.

Trigger

It's not impossible to one day dungeons truthfully; just teddious.

The main key is amassing large amounts of SP items or saving money for the Fox later.

Mr. Fix

It's highly recommended to do it in one day so you can focus on social links. There's a persona that learns invigorate 2(recovers 5 sp per turn) early on and you can easily abuse it by going to the first dungeon and just guard until your sp is maxed. Then spend the money on your party's sp. Look for gold hands(is that the name?) and you'll easily make around 4k each time. I forgot the name of the persona even though I was just playing it a while ago...

This is my first time playing it on the vita but it really seems they made it a lot easier than the ps2 version. The additional social links however makes it seem like you really have to manage it well to max every one of them. Although I maxed P3P without a guide, don't think I'll take the chances here.

Oh shit, I have that skill/persona too. Thank you. I doubt I'll max all the S.links out on this playthrough though.

It's not impossible to one day dungeons truthfully; just teddious.

The main key is amassing large amounts of SP items or saving money for the Fox later.

They sell SP recovery items at the shopping district, right? The fox still seems a bit expensive for me.

TheBear

I'm upto the last floor before the boss, does that mean I can return to the entrance, save & refill and then go straight back to the boss?

I'm upto the last floor before the boss, does that mean I can return to the entrance, save & refill and then go straight back to the boss?
Yes.
They sell SP recovery items at the shopping district, right? The fox still seems a bit expensive for me.
In stores, I don't think so. There's a vending machine next to it though that sells TaP soda that refills 10 SP. You can only buy it 5x a week though. It's useful early on.

Tried my hand at cooking and ended up with Hard Tonkatsu. Shared it with Yukiko the next day and she laughed at me. Whatever, Yukiko. You don't even know what good food tastes like. At least my cooking doesn't poison people!

I promptly reloaded my save and properly cooked that tonkatsu

Top Bottom