• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Tried my hand at cooking and ended up with Hard Tonkatsu. Shared it with Yukiko the next day and she laughed at me. Whatever, Yukiko. You don't even know what good food tastes like. At least my cooking doesn't poison people!

I promptly reloaded my save and properly cooked that tonkatsu

At least it wasn't Daigaku Imo.

Trigger

Tried my hand at cooking and ended up with Hard Tonkatsu. Shared it with Yukiko the next day and she laughed at me. Whatever, Yukiko. You don't even know what good food tastes like. At least my cooking doesn't poison people!

I promptly reloaded my save and properly cooked that tonkatsu

I always save scum the cooking segments.

B-but I can cook in real life! >__>;

Dizzy-4U

Well, I just lost 2 hours of progress. I should have listened to Teddy and not open that chest...

Is that new? I never saw it in the PS2 version.

Jintor

They changed the requirements a little. Used to be you needed to open it on a second playthrough, but now you run into that bastard every 22 chests or so.

Dizzy-4U

They changed the requirements a little. Used to be you needed to open it on a second playthrough, but now you run into that bastard every 22 chests or so.
I see. Yeah, I replayed it today and it didn't show up. Gonna leave it alone till NG+

Speaking of which, when you guys started NG+, did you choose the hardest diffficulty? Any new content if you choose it or is just the challenge?

Astra

I played on Normal the first time, then on Very Easy the second time so I could get thru the dungeons as quickly as possible.

Very Easy certainly lives up to its name. You seriously have to put zero thought into any kind of strategy. I let myself get killed to see what the battle retry feature is like. Now I thought you would restart the battle, with full HP and SP, but you simply get your HP and SP refilled, and resume the battle right from where you died, with the enemy already drained of HP.

Still, great for those who only want to go through the story.

Curufinwe

I actually didn't have retries for battles turned on, so I did die once on
Ameno-sagiri when a buffed Yukiko got charmed and hit me with Agidyne.
I wasn't really paying attention, heh.

Tiu Neo

I actually didn't have retries for battles turned on, so I did die once on
Ameno-sagiri when a buffed Yukiko got charmed and hit me with Agidyne.
I wasn't really paying attention, heh.

I beat the Grim Reaper at a very low level, on my NG+, thanks to Battle Retry :p

Noi

Augh, my compulsion to fuse as many persona as possible is going counter to the fact that I'm playing on Very Hard. Using the compendium is already running me 40K+ a pop, and I get less than that on a Golden Hands encounter when it goes well. :(

JaCy

Are there any consequences for playing on very easy? I've been stuck on Yukiko's Shadow for a few days now and thinking of starting over on VE.

Tamanon

Banned
Are there any consequences for playing on very easy? I've been stuck on Yukiko's Shadow for a few days now and thinking of starting over on VE.

Some fights later on are kinda boring, but that's about it. It's actually good for the first time through, since you make so much cash and that carries over if you do a new Game +.

TheBear

So my screen brightness drops out after like 30 seconds when watching a cutscene.
Is this a game thing or a Vita thing? Any way to fix it?

namDa65

Finally beat
true ending 53 hrs, first time playthrough. When my game ended at 43 hrs i was like wtf... everyone was saying this game was like 70 hrs long until someone told me there was a true ending

P90

No consequences game-wise. Lots of money and experience has advantages.

sorry about the dbl post.

None at all. The game/story content is exactly the same across al difficulties, and there are no rewards associated with any of them.

Though bear in mind that the difficulty curve in this game is messed up; the first dungeon is by far the hardest, and Shadow Yukiko is one of the toughest fights in the game. By the time you reach the second dungeon, you have four characters in your party (the fourth is a great healer and damage dealer), and you can start fusing some good Personas. So if you grind a bit and beat Shadow Yukiko, things will get significantly easier afterwards.

That said, there's nothing wrong with starting over on Very Easy if that's what you want. It's certainly the best way of simply experiencing the story. Persona 4 is a massive game, and even though I've beat the PS2 version, it still took me over 100 hours to beat the Vita version on Normal. Being able to blitz through dungeons would certainly be better for some people.

Alec

Finally got my Platinum. Hardcore Risette Collector is a bitch of a trophy.

1x5JxO8.jpg

Yjc1Wlm.jpg

Aaaaaaaaand my next $80:

mqe4etD.png

Tomodachi

Uh oh, I might be screwed. I might have sold the cleaning mop the guy on the practice building second floor gave me before the quest for it unlocked. I said "I might have" because I'm not sure... I just know that even equipping a Iai Katana he doesn't ask me for it, he just mumbles something about his sensei artisan.

Am I screwed?

Just make sure you look up the translation changes. Everything related to P2 is translated, for the most part, correctly. Persona 1 is a different story.
Mikage = Lunarville
Kandori = Guido
Maki = Mary
Eriko = Ellen
Kei = Nate
Brown = Brad
Reiji = Chris

There are some others.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just make sure you look up the translation changes. Everything related to P2 is translated, for the most part, correctly. Persona 1 is a different story.

Lunarville = Mikage
Kandori = Guido
Maki = Mary
Eriko = Ellen
Kei = Nate
Brown = Brad
Reiji = Chris

There are some others.

Nate was still Nate in P1 though.

Is there a differences between the PSP and PS1?

Yes, but we are not getting the PSP version of that so beggars can't be choosers. If you go from Innocent Sin PSP to Eternal Punishment PS1, you will notice some name changes and voice changes, along with an overall drop in voice acting quality, but Persona 2 does not have that much voice acting at all, so it is not that big of a deal.

Tiu Neo

Finally got my Platinum. Hardcore Risette Collector is a bitch of a trophy.

1x5JxO8.jpg

Yjc1Wlm.jpg

Aaaaaaaaand my next $80:

mqe4etD.png

I know the feeling. I already had 1, so I bought 3P and FES. I'll probably get 2 after I finish 3. Or maybe I'll buy 1 digital and replay it on the vita :D

Speaking of 3, lost quite a bit of progress on FES, so I restarted it on Portable. Not that bad after I got used to it. I'm in september 3 now, and loving it.

The PS1 version of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is gonna come out too, don't forget that too man!

waaaat? Is that true?!

(goes to check). My, my. hell's freezing over. Wish we had the translated psp version instead, but that's nice! It's finally possible to play all persona games on vita?

Now what about suikoden 2, sony?

Cornbread78

Holy $hit this story is crazy, so friggen sad, goddammitstupidwtfIcan'tstandthisshit....playing through the last part now.....@#$%@#%#$%

EDIT: OK a little better now..

So I'm well into this game, I'm starting November.

And I just realized the ability to go into "tv listings" when in his bedroom. This game was already amazing, but the amount of extra content tucked into this section is absolutely amazing. It was such a great surprise of extra content when I was already super satisfied with the amount of content on hand.

*edit*

This is my first Persona, I have already heard 3 is amazing, are the others as solid? Might need to go on a Persona shopping spree.

FluxWaveZ

So I'm well into this game, I'm starting November.

And I just realized the ability to go into "tv listings" when in his bedroom.

You can access the TV Listings anywhere in the game by tapping the touch screen twice, I believe.

And I slightly preferred Persona 3 FES to Persona 4, though that might be because if was my first game. Starting with P4G, the mechanics of the previous games will be harder for you to deal with because of some of the streamlining and improvements they made with the latest Persona RPG, but I would still recommend Persona 3.

Persona 3 FES is the version I prefer over Persona 3 Portable because the latter is significantly inferior in terms of presentation (with it being essentially like a visual novel instead of 3D world movement and with no anime cutscenes). P3P, however, has gameplay improvements such as direct party control.

I guess this has all been mentioned before, but Persona 1 and Persona 2 are not like Persona 3 or 4 at all. If you care for the story anyways, I'd recommend Persona 2.

Persona 3 FES is the version I prefer over Persona 3 Portable because the latter is significantly inferior in terms of presentation (with it being essentially like a visual novel instead of 3D world movement and with no anime cutscenes). P3P, however, has gameplay improvements such as direct party control.

The cutscenes are a major reason I've loved P4G usually unexpected and always great on the Vita screen. Are the two games different enough that I would want to play both? Or are they so similar minus combat that I really would just want to play one?

FluxWaveZ

The cutscenes are a major reason I've loved P4G usually unexpected and always great on the Vita screen. Are the two games different enough that I would want to play both? Or are they so similar minus combat that I really would just want to play one?

Persona 3 FES is a longer game than Persona 4. P3: The Journey took me 100 hours while P3: The Answer took me 20 hours. P3P is shorter (maybe about 60 hours). Persona 4 Golden took me around 60 hours. Just keep that in mind if you'd want to play both versions of P3.

P3P presents the choice of playing with a female protagonist that has several new Social Links and which also changes certain events compared to the male protagonist and small things like lines of dialogue and music. The story remains the same and, in P3P, "The Answer" part of the story was cut.

Persona 3 FES is a longer game than Persona 4. P3: The Journey took me 100 hours while P3: The Answer took me 20 hours. P3P is shorter (maybe about 60 hours). Persona 4 Golden took me around 60 hours. Just keep that in mind if you'd want to play both versions of P3.

P3P has a female protagonist that has several new Social Links and which also changes events compared to the male protagonist and small things like lines of dialogue and music. The story remains the same and, in P3P, "The Answer" part of the story was cut.

How DO you feel about The Answer, anyways? The old scool megaten fan in me enjoyed it quite a bit, and I know most people dislike it.

FluxWaveZ

How DO you feel about The Answer, anyways? The old scool megaten fan in me enjoyed it quite a bit, and I know most people dislike it.

I enjoyed it, but I also know most people disliked it. I didn't find it nearly as difficult as some people were complaining it was, although it certainly required a fair amount of grinding. I was also motivated to play through it for the story, which I didn't think was as bad as some people say it was either.

Lombax

Banned
Hi Everyone,
Quick question about finding the
Secret Lab
. I have talked to everyone I can think of thus far but when I get to the
Police Officer
he yells at me and says to leave him alone. This is followed by a message saying something to the effect of
"perhaps a change of plan is needed
. I am speaking to him on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but its the same every time.
Is there something I am missing? Anyone have some tips on how to proceed?

Thanks

Trigger

Hi Everyone,
Quick question about finding the
Secret Lab
. I have talked to everyone I can think of thus far but when I get to the
Police Officer
he yells at me and says to leave him alone. This is followed by a message saying something to the effect of
"perhaps a change of plan is needed
. I am speaking to him on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but its the same every time.
Is there something I am missing? Anyone have some tips on how to proceed?

Thanks

Talk to your friends. Chie or Kanji specifically if I'm not mistaken.

TheBear

Just got some questions about how to progress:

I've just had Teddie turn into human form and about to start exams (mid-term?)
How long have I got to go?
The reason I ask is I want to priortise my social links.
So far I maxed out fellow athletes, and Yosuke and Yukiko aren't far off.
How should I priortise the rest of s.links?
Also is there any reason to stray outside of Yosuke/Yukiko/Chie for my party?
I feel like I'm covering all bases here

Cheers!

Top Bottom