• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

I knew this would happen sooner or later. I'm on 1.81 FW with Madblox exploit for my PSP library (it isn't large just a few games) but P4:G requires 2.01 to run :(

And fool as I was I sold my PSP-1000 so it is either PSP stuff or P4. Damn

so I just finished the 3rd "dungeon" and I feel kinda lacking in the Personas department. Like I barely beat (oh dang how do you do a spoiler tag on this forum?) the last boss at the end.

Any suggestions for good Personas/Skills I should keep around? I'm around level 34-35. I'm avoiding walkthroughs for spoilers and such.

I have a quick question for Persona GAF.

In P4G, am I allowed to romance multiple girls in a single playthrough and if I can are there any problems or penalties that arise if I do so?

I'd like to know because I've already completely maxed out my S Link with
Yukiko
and my next S Link event with
Chie
will be the one with the romance so I wanted to make sure having multiple girlfriends is ok in the game before I do that next S Link.

Tamanon

Banned
I have a quick question for Persona GAF.

In P4G, am I allowed to romance multiple girls in a single playthrough and if I can are there any problems or penalties that arise if I do so?

I'd like to know because I've already completely maxed out my S Link with
Yukiko
and my next S Link event with
Chie
will be the one with the romance so I wanted to make sure having multiple girlfriends is ok in the game before I do that next S Link.

You can romance multiple women.

Just be aware you will feel bad about it at some point, but nothing gameplay-related!

Omikaru

Oops, I didn't. Does that affect getting the true ending?

Nope, since it's all new content it has no impact on the true ending. But you do get a bonus epilogue not in the original P4 if you had done it.

To be honest, if you're planning on replaying the game, it might be better this way. I liked the epilogue, but I think I'd have preferred to experience P4's True Ending without it on my first play of the game, which is what I did on the PS2.

Squire

Banned
You can romance multiple women.

Just be aware you will feel bad about it at some point, but nothing gameplay-related!

Yeah, it won't affect your game, but they do a good job of getting in your ass about it later, haha.

I think the few people in this thread who did that (of which I was one), all felt bad about it.

You really are better off picking your favorite and just staying friends with the rest.

When does the game start :) I think I've been playing for about an hour and still I'm not doing anything.

But I love the music and the graphics. Music is really not something I would listen to in normal cases but it is so fitting here :)

Omikaru

When does the game start :) I think I've been playing for about an hour and still I'm not doing anything.

But I love the music and the graphics. Music is really not something I would listen to in normal cases but it is so fitting here :)

The opening is pretty slow, but it's worth it because it sets the tone of the game pretty perfectly. You'll be at the social linking, dungeon crawling segment in no time at all.

Dr Dogg

It's a slow burn but things start picking up around an hour, hour and a half. Be thankful it's not the PS2 version as all you did for close to the first 2 hours is press X where as you get a bit more freedom in Golden. Still in the build up it gives you time to warm to the cast which I found really made me feel for/warm to them more than most jrpg teams.

Yeah, it won't affect your game, but they do a good job of getting in your ass about it later, haha.

I think the few people in this thread who did that (of which I was one), all felt bad about it.

You really are better off picking your favorite and just staying friends with the rest.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will just keep Yukiko as my only love interest this playthrough and do the multi girlfriend thing in my NG+ playthrough.

Mazre

Just completed my first play through, amazing game. Clocked in at around 80 hrs minus the true ending, didn't save on the final day and blew through the trigger without realizing. My last save was back at the start of the bonus dungeon, so I guess I'll just check out the true ending on NG+.

I got this on Friday and done about 7 hours. This is my first Persona game and even though it takes well over an hour to get into the gameplay, it was thoroughly engaging.

My favourite thing about it so far, is the little girl singing the Junes theme everyday. Such a little detail, but it adds so much.

And the monster designs are sooo good!

Finally finished this glorious game for the first time last night, that True Ending was totally worth it! It's rare to see a game end so satisfyingly.

Saddest moment of the game was
rejecting Yumi by walking away from her.
I felt like such a jerk, haha.

Curufinwe

Finally finished this glorious game for the first time last night, that True Ending was totally worth it! It's rare to see a game end so satisfyingly.

Saddest moment of the game was
rejecting Yumi by walking away from her.
I felt like such a jerk, haha.

Speaking of sad moments, it's time to watch the other endings on youtube.

FeD.nL

So i'm about to start the game, but to get the true ending is it doable just being a completionist or do you really need to follow a guide?

Lusankya

So i'm about to start the game, but to get the true ending is it doable just being a completionist or do you really need to follow a guide?

I think you need a guide. It's really not all that obvious what you're supposed to do to get the true ending.

Trigger

The game has save points not too far from the places where you'll have to make important decisions. Try to play it naturally first and then consult a guide if you get an ending you don't like.

nikos

Does anyone know where I can find Rise on or around August 2nd? I need to giver her information about an investigation. Haven't played in quite a while.

Curufinwe

Ask for help in here when you get to that point and someone will post a spoiler free guide. If you start googling it you might regret it.

Squire

Banned
Ask for help in here when you get to that point and someone will post a spoiler free guide. If you start googling it you might regret it.

Yep. Don't google and don't use a guide. It's made to be replayed and there's some fun stuff you could accidentally spoil.

Moaradin

Just got done with watching the animation. Really great, and I love what they did to the main character. Is there a similar anime for Persona 3?

turnbuckle

I've looked up gamefaqs to get help on this question but I'm wondering if the info is wrong:

What is the best place to find magic hands for the iron boots quest? Gamefaqs told me floors 5-8 of the bathhouse. I spent a good hour and a half spread throughout those floors and didn't encounter them a single time, yet I'm supposed to get 10 of their drops for the quest.

I generally only go into the tv once a cycle and only on a rainy day. Does anyone know if it being a rainy day lowers their encounter rate? It makes sense if it does since there are 3-4 enemies in the bathhouse that only appear when it's raining, so every time I have one of those encounters is one less chance for it to be magical hands. I probably had 30 encounters with the enemies that only appear on rainy days during that time last night and no magical hands.

Unless someone has a better idea or information I think I'm gonna be stuck going into the tv a second time this cycle and on a non-rainy day :(

--

Anywho, I can't wait to beat this game so I can replay it. I'm going in without any guide and trying to use this thread as little as possible so I can avoid spoilers and I think there are a lot of things I'll be able to do better next time around. I think one of the quests I'm on right now for the fox requires access to the school or maybe higher stats because I'll check everywhere and haven't been able to find the person for the quest. I think it's the more fulfilling life quest or something.

Moaradin

They're working on a few movies for Persona 3 right now.

And yah, Yu was great in the anime.

That's cool. I hope Persona 3 can be condensed into a film though. I couldn't imagine Persona 4 working film length. Even the 26 episode anime had to cut out some stuff. Still, I liked what the anime added.

This game definitely made me a fan of the series though. I'll get around to playing persona 3 soon and hopefully I'll have as much fun as I did with this one.

Omikaru

That's cool. I hope Persona 3 can be condensed into a film though. I couldn't imagine Persona 4 working film length. Even the 26 episode anime had to cut out some stuff. Still, I liked what the anime added.

Persona 3 is going to be several films, FYI. I doubt they could fit that entire game into a single movie, but I could see a trilogy working.

My wife just bought this game for me ( guess she heard me talking about it after I finished Ni No Kuni). I don't really know what to do? I enjoyed Ni No Kuni ( although it got repetitive at the end ) and it was my first RPG ever. The fact that this game takes about a 100 hours and there is very much talking in the game...I don't know if I should keep it or bring it back.

Is there anyone who is willing to compare this with Ni No Kuni ( if that's possible ).
Other tips for a newcomer to the game/genre would be welcome too :D

My wife just bought this game for me ( guess she heard me talking about it after I finished Ni No Kuni). I don't really know what to do? I enjoyed Ni No Kuni ( although it got repetitive at the end ) and it was my first RPG ever. The fact that this game takes about a 100 hours and there is very much talking in the game...I don't know if I should keep it or bring it back.

Is there anyone who is willing to compare this with Ni No Kuni ( if that's possible ).
Other tips for a newcomer to the game/genre would be welcome too :D
I never played that game but the first 2 hours are pretty boring. Hang in there and wait until you finally get into a dungeon. As for tips for beginners:
-Finish a dungeon in one day
-Spend time on leveling characteristics such as courage, expression, etc and on social links.
-Try to find the enemy weakness right away.
However, I find physical skills that attack all enemies to be overpowered and that you can spam that to win most battles.
- Invigorate 2 is your best friend early on. Unless you do the trick to get victory cry early on.

Other than that, enjoy the game. The games takes about 40-80 hours depending on what you do.

I'm 31 hours into the game. I'm in the third dungeon. How important is to do the quest in this game? Is it important to have every job? In what month can I start dating in the game? I've not read any guide, but I do use the quiz/exam answers so I feel kind of lost in some aspects of the game. How can i trigger more lunch events? I've read that you can finish the game in 45 hours, but that seems impossible at my pace.

Trigger

I'm 31 hours into the game. I'm in the third dungeon. How important is to do the quest in this game? Is it important to have every job? In what month can I start dating in the game? I've not read any guide, but I do use the quiz/exam answers so I feel kind of lost in some aspects of the game. How can i trigger more lunch events? I've read that you can finish the game in 45 hours, but that seems impossible at my pace.

1)The jobs unlock new social links and help raise cash/stats. It's not very important to do all of them. Quests affect one social link, but are otherwise supplementary. Go at a pace you enjoy.

2)Dating a girl is as simple as getting her social link to rank 8 or 9. It doesn't unlock based on a calendar date.

3)Lunch events are available whenever there are groceries in the fridge. They always happen on set calendar dates. Just check the fridge frequently and you won't miss out.

45hrs sounds like a speed run on easy, lol. You'd be missing out if you did the game that fast IMO.

Daimaou

That's a lot of questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.
1. I assume you mean the side quests that pop up when you talk to certain people. They're not very important, but can yield some decent rewards like money or rare consumables.
2. The jobs just open up new ways to spend time. Most of them build one of your social stats (courage, knowledge, etc) and some unlock new S Links to spend time with.
3. There's not really a month where you can start dating, you get an option to make girls your girlfriend when you get so far along in their S Link, normally around rank 8 or 9.
4. There are few different things you could mean by this. If you mean making lunch to share with someone the next day, you can only do this on certain days when Nanako says she bought food. If you mean people coming to ask you to spend time with them, that just means you are close to a rank up with them.

Don't worry too much about how long it takes you to finish. Play times vary wildly and depend on things like how much time you spend in the TV doing side quests, or whether you listen to the VO or just read the text and skip ahead.

That's a lot of questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.
1. I assume you mean the side quests that pop up when you talk to certain people. They're not very important, but can yield some decent rewards like money or rare consumables.
2. The jobs just open up new ways to spend time. Most of them build one of your social stats (courage, knowledge, etc) and some unlock new S Links to spend time with.
3. There's not really a month where you can start dating, you get an option to make girls your girlfriend when you get so far along in their S Link, normally around rank 8 or 9.
4. There are few different things you could mean by this. If you mean making lunch to share with someone the next day, you can only do this on certain days when Nanako says she bought food. If you mean people coming to ask you to spend time with them, that just means you are close to a rank up with them.

Don't worry too much about how long it takes you to finish. Play times vary wildly and depend on things like how much time you spend in the TV doing side quests, or whether you listen to the VO or just read the text and skip ahead.

Thanks a lot for the reply!! And yes I meant making lunch to share for the next day and I'm also glad that the sidequests are not important because i'm stock on some of them.

I never played that game but the first 2 hours are pretty boring. Hang in there and wait until you finally get into a dungeon. As for tips for beginners:
-Finish a dungeon in one day
-Spend time on leveling characteristics such as courage, expression, etc and on social links.
-Try to find the enemy weakness right away.
However, I find physical skills that attack all enemies to be overpowered and that you can spam that to win most battles.
- Invigorate 2 is your best friend early on. Unless you do the trick to get victory cry early on.

Other than that, enjoy the game. The games takes about 40-80 hours depending on what you do.

Thanks. Gonna try it asap. Hope that it clicks :D

I just fused Izanagi-no-Okami for the first time.

Even though Helel is my main man and I doubt I'll use anyone else much, it still brings a tear to my eye. This is the moment I've been waiting for for four years. :,)

Alright so I'm at the end/top floor (I'm pretty sure) of my first dungeon
about to encounter Yukiko's bad side
but I'm running low on SP... Should I really leave, lose my progress, rest, and come back? Or risk it and potentially die?

I've played a lot to lose that progress...

but I'm running low on SP... Should I really leave, lose my progress, rest, and come back? Or risk it and potentially die?

If you leave, you can resume from the floor you were last on anytime :)

Just one of the many features that make this game so great and non-frustrating.

Use a Go-M(or whatever it's called), save, and then go back.

If you leave, you can resume from the floor you were last on anytime :)

Just one of the many features that make this game so great and non-frustrating.
Use a Go-M(or whatever it's called), save, and then go back.

Holy crap! So glad I asked o_O I thought it would make you restart the dungeon. Wow.

This game is freaking amazing haha. Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: If I leave and rest, will the check point still be there?

Holy crap! So glad I asked o_O I thought it would make you restart the dungeon. Wow.

This game is freaking amazing haha. Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: If I leave and rest, will the check point still be there?
Yes, it will. The highest floor you were at will always be there. However, once you beat a dungeon, you have to go all the way back yourself again a second time. After that, it'll be back to the highest floor you were at.

Noi

I'm still at the point where she has the drawback of draining a shitload of SP, even more than in the original game. As this becomes less of an issue I can see that becoming the case yeah.

That's why they give her Invigorate 3. Pair her up with the Chakra ring (half mp cost) and she never runs out of MP.

Top Bottom