• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

rObit

Banned
I figured that if I chose to get friendly with a second girl, the choice would cause me to break it off with the first. By the time I figured out that girl #1 was still into me, I had spent too much time to be willing to go back. And then Valentine's Day happened....=(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's weird playing this game again after playing the PS2 version.

It's like seeing old friends again. The game seems strangely less threatening now that I already know what happens and how the dungeons are. I just finally got to the part where I can actually roam around lol.

I have to admit the first time playing the game the whole Secretary of a policitian, Enka Singer, TV Announcer thing was confusing as shit.

I liked PS2 Chie's and Teddy's voices better. Even though Chie's PS2 voice took a little bit of time to get used to (I think this was the result of of the VA getting better over time), I hope that happens this time too.

SxP

I liked PS2 Chie's and Teddy's voices better. Even though Chie's PS2 voice took a little bit of time to get used to (I think this was the result of of the VA getting better over time), I hope that happens this time too.

New Chie is terrible in the first few hours of the game. Mind-blowingly bad really. But I'm now 10 hours in and now she's just fine. And it's really not a case of me getting used to her voice, they really just should've rerecorded some of her lines at the beginning of the game.

I think Chies VA is pretty good. That said I haven't played the PS2 version.

The worst (and only bad) VA so far I think is Teddies but even then it doesn't bother me that much cause he is... a bear from other dimension or something. Well ok I don't really like Igor either but it might be the nose.

I hate Igors design :lol. I mean ugly character can have a good design but every time I see Igors portrait I want to grab an axe and just cut that nose off.

Trojita

I think Chies VA is pretty good. That said I haven't played the PS2 version.

The worst (and only bad) VA so far I think is Teddies but even then it doesn't bother me that much cause he is... a bear from other dimension or something. Well ok I don't really like Igor either but it might be the nose.

I hate Igors design :lol. I mean ugly character can have a good design but every time I see Igors portrait I want to grab an axe and just cut that nose off.

tumblr_mfun9vsihi1qcghoco1_500.jpg

Koroviev

New Chie is terrible in the first few hours of the game. Mind-blowingly bad really. But I'm now 10 hours in and now she's just fine. And it's really not a case of me getting used to her voice, they really just should've rerecorded some of her lines at the beginning of the game.

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking. I never played the PS2 version, so it's not the change that bothers me... Her VA just sounds really forced. I'm fine with all of the other characters, and I actually really like the VA for Nanako and her father.

Edit: looked up a clip comparing old Chie and new Chie just new. As it turns out, I prefer the new one as it seems to be more fitting, but I'm still not keen on how exaggerated some of the lines are.

This is my first Persona game ever and I think it is wonderful! I haven't been this engrossed in a game in a very long time. I'm at work right now thinking about what I'm going to do next..it's bad lol.

I was a little intimidated at first because there was just so much stuff to do, but I'm trying to play naturally and then will go through a second time to do all the S-links and read all the books and what have you. I haven't even touched on bug catching and fishing yet, there's just way too much game packed in here.

I am in September with Chie as my g/f (she's adorable!) and I just can't wait to see what else is in store. I also totally love the portability of this game on the Vita and if Persona 5 is on vita or streaming through PS4 on my Vita I'll love it just as much.

Kanji is also the best character ever (he's too cute with his bike).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've always said that Chie's old VA was the weakest of the bunch, she just didn't "fit" the character. Erin Fitzgerald does put forth a better effort, even if it is a bit exaggerated at parts.

I'm still early but I dunno who I want to date :lol. I guess that is tied on who you spend your time with? I have hanged out with Chie and Marie, is it even possible to hang out with Yosuke and Yukiko, where do they even hang out during the day? Maybe I need to progress a lil more, I am at just after the first midterms.

Is it recommended to go into the TV when there is no case going on? Chie was recommending it. Is grinding needed or should I stick to cases only?

Also where can I get a fishing rod and start fishin n stuff?

Astra

Haha so... Date both of them?

Of course. You can't have chocolate without the bacon, man.
One will still make you feel bad, sure, but they'll come to understand... someday.

I'm still early but I dunno who I want to date :lol. I guess that is tied on who you spend your time with? I have hanged out with Chie and Marie, is it even possible to hang out with Yosuke and Yukiko, where do they even hang out during the day? Maybe I need to progress a lil more, I am at just after the first midterms.

Is it recommended to go into the TV when there is no case going on? Chie was recommending it. Is grinding needed or should I stick to cases only?

You can hang out with all your teammates. Yukiko hangs out on the first floor near the entrance, and Yosuke is in the 2nd floor hallway of the classroom building. Not sure when their social links become available.

As for the fishing rod, you need to give a bug to the lady at the item shop during the evening to get the fish hook. Then talk to the old man at the Riverbank to get the rod. You can get a bug from the kid at the shrine, just give him whatever he is wanting at the time. It's just food or drink you can buy in the shopping district.

Trigger

Dating a girl is unlocked by doing her 8th or 9th event and unleashing your swag. :p

If you're unsure then maybe delay the event while you decide? Yosuke is on the second floor of the school building after school and at Junes on holidays/weekends. Yukiko is on the first floor near the lockers after school, and in front of the bookstore on holidays/weekends. Both social links are storyline events. Yosuke should be unlocked already.

Naw, you can usually just wait until the next case. The only real exception is if there's a quest item you need.

Talk to the old man next to the river and he'll mention needing a fishing hook. Give the bug collecting boy outside the shrine the soda he wants and he'll give you a bug. Then visit the pub at night. The pub owner will give you the fishing hook if you give her the bug.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

At a certain point in the link, it will pretty much tell you what to do to date them.

It depends on how far you are into the game, you won't be able to hang out with Yukiko until she approaches you at a certain point. Youske should be available pretty early, he's usually at the end of the hallway on the second floor. The week before exams, you can't hangout with anyone due to the week of study time.

Grinding isn't really needed, provided you aren't playing on Very Hard. So you really don't have to go into the TV if there isn't a case unless you want to. Optional bosses will unlock after the next dungeon unlocks.

To get the rod, there is a boy at the shrine who wants a steak skewer from the stand across from the shrine. Give him one and he'll give you a bug. Go to the store at night, which becomes a pub. The lady there will ask for the bug to give to her fish. The fish has a hook stuck in it's mouth and she will give it to you. Next day, go to the river bank and talk to the old man and he'll give you a rod.

Yosuke is one of the first links you can do. Surprised you have started his yet. Yukiko is after you save her. Yosuke is on the 2nd floor, all the way to the right. Yukiko is on the first floor, in the middle, close to the lockers.

It's not recommended since it's just a waste of a day really. There's really no need to grind in this game at all unless you really want it to get really easy.

Talk to the old man near the riverbank to initiate a flag. Then you need the butterfly net by talking to a kid at the shrine. He's going to request something so fulfill his request and you'll get his butterfly net. After that, you need to catch a Tatsuhime Ladybug. Then go to the pub at night and she'll give you a fishing hook. Then go back to the old man for the pole.

Edit: wait, perhaps I'm wrong in the kid giving you the butterfly net. It's been a while so...

@Neferteetee
Glad you're enjoying this. Also really glad that this game is attracting a lot of newcomers to the series. I definitely agree; Persona is more enjoyable as a portable game than a console game imo.

Oh god, I can't continue. I'm at
when You, Yosuke and Kanji are hitting on girls. Yosuke called some fat girl accidently and the horror movie music is killing me. I'm laughing like crazy.

Oh god, I can't continue. I'm at
when You, Yosuke and Kanji are hitting on girls. Yosuke called some fat girl accidently and the horror movie music is killing me. I'm laughing like crazy.
Hahaha i know... Probably the most surprising thing about this game to me is how hilarious it is. I'm consistently laughing. Kanji is fantastic. And even Teddie is pretty funny sometimes

Hahaha i know... Probably the most surprising thing about this game to me is how hilarious it is. I'm consistently laughing. Kanji is fantastic. And even Teddie is pretty funny sometimes

I met the hospital nurse... ewww! :(

I hate when a monster one shots the MC and I have to start dungeon floor all over again :(. Are the quests where you need to revisit dungeons to get some items worth it btw? Do the items randomly drop from monsters? Should I just skip em?

I gotta say I like the game very much. I'm surprised I'm being blessed with some JRPG goodnes lately. I don't think I have really liked a traditional JRPG after friggin Final Fantasy X and suddenly I have enjoyed this and Ni No Kuni. Maybe after this I should check out Persona 3 FES, it has been on my backlog shelf for like 4 years, dunno why :lol. Picked it up for 15€ so it was kind of impulse buy.

I hate when a monster one shots the MC and I have to start dungeon floor all over again :(. Are the quests where you need to revisit dungeons to get some items worth it btw? Do the items randomly drop from monsters? Should I just skip em?

I don't think any of the quest rewards are that great in practical use; however, there are some costumes that are rewarded so you may want to check out a list (spoilers) and pick & choose.

Tamanon

Banned
In my effort to use gaf in lieu of a strategy guide, here's another question:

Are there any social links I should max before the end of the game?

The ones you like the most. The ending doesn't depend on your S. Links, only minor things can change.

In Golden, I would at least max as many party members as possible for skills and persona upgrades.

The ones you like the most. The ending doesn't depend on your S. Links, only minor things can change.

In Golden, I would at least max as many party members as possible for skills and persona upgrades.
Ok cool.

There isn't anything special if you max one of the peripheral characters?

ZeroAKA

Your party members' social links are fairly important. You'll also want to max out Aeon and Jester as much as you can (6 in the case of Jester iirc) for story purposes.

There isn't anything special if you max one of the peripheral characters?
Maxing out each social link gives you the ability to fuse its ultimate Persona. There is also a trophy for maxing out all social links in one playthrough.

Omikaru

As has been said, do party members 100%. Their social links are all good, plus you get combat bonuses from their transformed persona. Any you have maxed by or during the new year also give them a second persona transformation and an incredibly powerful ability in battle if you hang out with that character. Aeon is important too, as it allows you to unlock lots of new content unique to Golden. Following the post-Aeon events (which includes a unique dungeon) to their conclusion nets you an epilogue if you beat the True Ending.

Personally, I can't recommend the epilogue unless you're doing a repeat play, because the True Ending is pretty perfect as it is. And whilst it's cool, the Epilogue negates the True Ending's impact somewhat and is really there as fanservice for people who fell in love with P4 and are doing it again. The game will still be amazing if you unlock it, but I'm glad there was no epilogue in the PS2 version, and I enjoyed both the True Ending and the Epilogue a lot more because of how I experienced them.

But if you're just doing one playthrough and absolutely want to maximize the amount of content you see, following the post-Aeon events gives you a lot of neat content you won't want to miss.

If you also find yourself running out of steam in dungeon crawls, befriending the Fox and doing as many of his quests as possible is a good idea. He can heal you inside the TV world, for a sum, and the higher your rank the lower his fees.

Besides these, finding out what personas you want to fuse for battle and following the required social links (to get fusion bonuses or, if they're a special persona, unlocking them by maxing out the arcana) is the most clinical way to decide which ones you do. If you're more in it for the story than running an efficient roster of extremely powerful persona, then just do the social links that catch your eye. This is a role playing game, after all, so you'll obviously be drawn to certain characters over others, so go with who you like best.

As a personal recommendation outside of the main characters and others I suggested, these are my favourites:
- Hierophant: Ryotaro Dojima
- Devil: Sayoko Uehara
- Sun: Yumi Ozawa

Trojita

I just finished the first dungeon. I think I overleveled. I forgot that it goes to like 8 floors and was convinced that Yukiko's shadow was behind the fifth floor door. I'm level 19 now. People already have their Ma spells. I lol'd when I had like 2-3 new weapons for everybody.

Also does anyone know if any of the items dropped in the first dungeon make fans for Yukiko? And if they do and you sell them to the store before she joins your party, are the fans there or do you have to collect the mats again and sell them when the person is in your party.

Is the hardcore Risette fan trophy that hard to get? The guide on gamefaqs has me worried about overleveling.

After maxing a social link is there any use to keep meeting that person or is it even possible? I just maxed Chies so just asking how should I proceed if it still is possible to meet her and the others once maxed?

Omikaru

After maxing a social link is there any use to keep meeting that person or is it even possible? I just maxed Chies so just asking how should I proceed if it still is possible to meet her and the others once maxed?

If you romance a character, you can waste a day hanging out with them, but it's worthless since you don't get anything. If you didn't romance them, you cannot hang out with them once you've maxed their social link.

You can still meet maxed SL characters at night, however. They give you an item that can be used in dungeons or whatever, but obviously the SL bonus you would get is useless since they can't go higher.

There are also activities you can do with max SL characters as part of new Golden content, and generally involves replacing previously forgotten moves, and minor stats boosts. I think this is done in the Okina cinema, and bike journeys.

Foshy

Definitely max Aeon.

Make sure to meet once more after maxing the link to upgrade her Persona, after that focus on other links.

Cornbread78

Alright my stupid question for the day, how many time do you have to eat at Aiya to get that "The Ramon Way" book? I'm on my second play-through and don;t really need to do the challange anymore, but I have quite a few times now, just to get the book. So far, to no avail.... what the heck?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Make sure to meet once more after maxing the link to upgrade her Persona, after that focus on other links.

Yeah, though that's not until near endgame, sometime in January.

But don't worry, the characters in question will approach you at lunch time before this can happen.

Alright my stupid question for the day, how many time do you have to eat at Aiya to get that "The Ramon Way" book? I'm on my second play-through and don;t really need to do the challange anymore, but I have quite a few times now, just to get the book. So far, to no avail.... what the heck?

8 times. It doesn't have to be during rainy days, just go 8 times and you'll get the book.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ok great thanks :)

I feel like an idiot but I can't figure out how to initiate Kanji's social link... Am I retarded?

Nah.

There should be a girl on the 2nd floor who mentions something about a bully in the practice building or something along those lines. Go there and you'll see Kanji and ask him about the bully rumor.

The girl from music club is adorable. I kinda want to date her but I'm stuck with Chie now :lol. Maybe next trophy hunt playthru.

And man these bosses have some random ass AI. I got destroyed 2 times by the boss in 3rd dungeon and 3rd time it was a cakewalk.

Teddie is best worst character. Yosuke is kinda funny too in a way, sometimes he is terrible and sometimes he is the most likeable of the group.

The girl from music club is adorable. I kinda want to date her but I'm stuck with Chie now :lol. Maybe next trophy hunt playthru.

And man these bosses have some random ass AI. I got destroyed 2 times by the boss in 3rd dungeon and 3rd time it was a cakewalk.

Apple?! Hell yeah another Apple fan :) I heard somewhere that Matsunaga is also the artist's fav P4 character.

It's great that they fully voiced Apple during the summer matsuri, the actress is wonderful.

I'm 40 hours in on Persona 4 on the PS2 version(playing via PCSX2 on PC)
I keep hearing how commendable the Vita version is. Should I just buy it and start it on the Vita??
*cleared space for download*

FluxWaveZ

I'm 40 hours in on Persona 4 on the PS2 version(playing via PCSX2 on PC)
I keep hearing how commendable the Vita version is. Should I just buy it and start it on the Vita??
*cleared space for download*

The Vita version of Persona 4 is the definitive version of Persona 4. Most of the additions and changes made to the original game are so worth it.

Question time:

BTW where can I find the bug net? There is a trophy for bug catching, the boy at the shrine is telling he lost it.

And how do I catch the fish that gives the trophy?

AND how do I get the one trophy that is related to the machine that seems to be always rusted. The trophy name was something like ''today it works'' so is there some specific day? ;/

Sorry for the questions. I'm too scared to google it for spoilerz :d.

Is there even any real reason to fish?

The Vita version of Persona 4 is the definitive version of Persona 4. Most of the additions and changes made to the original game are so worth it.

I see.. The fact that you didn't even acknowledge I put 40 hours into the PS2 version speaks loud.
*heads to Playstation store*

Top Bottom