• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

New Chie is mostly fine but there a couple of lines so far, one being Trial of the Dragon, that just sounds much worse. She is fine overall though. New Teddie seems ok too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
New Chie is mostly fine but there a couple of lines so far, one being Trial of the Dragon, that just sounds much worse. She is fine overall though. New Teddie seems ok too.

I can't disagree more. I think they both stick out as turds in the amazingly good voice acting punch bowl. It's like they wanted to make their voices as grating and cliched as possible.

Gav47

I'm so jealous of everyone playing this right now, Play asia haven't even dispatched mine yet, I'll be lucky if I get to play this before December :( I guess you could say I can't bear the wait...

Golbez

WOwMBl.jpg

I wonder what this "Mooo" is that Rise's advertising.

Astral

This new Chie voice...=(

I don't know if any new players are gonna have the same appreciate for Chie with this voice.

I love it. Her delivery is better for the most part so far. The crying scene sounds like crap though. I'm anxious to hear "Aha! Is this our chance?"

Yuripaw

Banned
Should I play Persona 3 first or does it matter?

At first, I would say no it doesn't matter, but if you plan to get invested in the series, it wouldn't hurt to play it eventually.

On it's own, Persona 4 (Golden) doesn't directly relate to P3. However, Persona 4 Arena has a lot of connections to Persona 3, and what that game potentially leads to...having knowledge of both games definitely helps.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The thing I'm... unsure... about Chie's new voice is her vocal colour. Something about that aspect rubs me the wrong way in some instances. I felt the same way when I played P4A.

Her delivery's fine, though.

New Teddie's good. Can't wait to hear his dialogue later on in the game, haha.

Well what are you lookin for in this?

The last JRPG i played was FFXII and it was glorious. Before that games I have loved are the old stuff:

-FF Tactics, Lunar..ect

I tried to get into valkyrie profile and just couldn't really click with it. This would be my first attempt this gen playing another JRPG which is funny because its a ps2 game.

Varna

God, I hope the next game gets going a lot faster then this one. Been a few hours now and I'm still not really allowed to do anything. At this point most of us get it right? No need to have a 4+ hour intro anymore.

That first boss battle is kind of just luck based on very hard isn't it? Basically, I have no medical supplies other then what I got before entering the dungeon (which is basically just revival beads since those other items SUCK). I used all my medicine on the previous battles and unfortunately I went with new weapons instead of armor and supplies before entering the dungeon.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Estimated delivery for my Newegg order is 11/26.

... it's a good thing I'm going out in the morning to buy a copy!
Oh god I just checked mine

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 11/27/2012, By End of Day

If only they had shipped one day earlier, would've made it for thanksgiving

I'm not sure what to do. I'm about 36 hours into p3p (late August) after picking it back up when it was on sale. I'm caught up on the story, I'm back in the groove with the battle system, everything is going great.

Do I finish p3p and risk burning out before I get to P4 golden? Keep and mind I played P4 20 hours before stopping on the PS2. Anyone ever play them back to back? Is it enjoyable?

NichM

Banned
I can't read the first line, but the second one is "I want to watch soccer!"

It's probably meant to be an ad for a picture-in-picture feature of the swanky TVs Junes carries.

This new Chie voice...=(

I don't know if any new players are gonna have the same appreciate for Chie with this voice.

Husky Chie shall live in our hearts... and PS2 copies

I never understood how people thought her delivery was bad. I knew several girls that sounded almost exactly like her as far back as 13

To me it was more realistic and relatable than the usual high voices used

JJD

Why the fuck isn't Sony promoting this game on the Vita PSN store?

It's not on the "What's Hot" section of the Vita store, and it's under three thousand Little Big Planet costumes on the "What's New" section of the store...SMH...

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
The last JRPG i played was FFXII and it was glorious. Before that games I have loved are the old stuff:

-FF Tactics, Lunar..ect

I tried to get into valkyrie profile and just couldn't really click with it. This would be my first attempt this gen playing another JRPG which is funny because its a ps2 game.

It's tough to compare this game directly to other JRPGs. However, I'll work with what I've got here.

The combat is turn-based but not as instantly strategic as a Tactics game when in battle, but in Persona, your success in battle depends quite a bit on how you prepare outside of combat. The dungeons are much more linear than the large fields of FFXII.

The unique structure of the game is very well designed in and especially out of combat and the systems are designed in a way that what you do during your days at school and in town has a drastic effect on what you can do in dungeons.

I found the characters to be much stronger than the already strong characters in FFXII. The writing is mostly superb, often funny, and is satisfying day-to-day and across the entire story arc.

The story and the system design are extraordinary throughout and it has held up in many people's minds as one of, if not the, best JRPGS on PS2. For proof, when is the last time you've seen a OT for a rerelease of a five year old game hit fifteen hundred posts before the game even comes out? (And that's not including the thousand-post+ review thread.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was told that I was frowning more often when I was playing this version on Very Hard difficulty than I did on the PS2 version on Hard. Heh.

buddha0991 said:
Almost lost to the tutorial boss on very hard haha, only had one sp item left.
Should've fought it like a Legend of Legaia boss. He attacks're based on a pattern until the 50% mark and the 33% mark where he does some stuff to mix it up just once. Use heal items only when you're in single digits or at 11-15. Didn't need to use a single Soul Drop. Only attack with Zio and get a Once More to heal/attack again with golf club when he's on the turn where he guards. Defend on every other turn.

For my part, I really like the new Chie. She kind of flies off the handle when things get hard/scary, she's wonderfully coy when teasing Yosuke (that scene with Saki had me rolling) - in short, she sounds like a teenager. Which is absolutely, dead-on perfect. If anything I'm afraid some of the other, older performances will seem a little too staid and stoic in comparison.

The only problem I heard was that she kind of struggled with the Japanese names at first. She got the pronunciation right, but it was clear she wasn't used to pronouncing those sorts of names and was kind of chewing on them. Once they got past full names, though, she was fine.

Anyway loving the hell out of this so far. It deserves that insane Metacritic.

I was told that I was frowning more often when I was playing this version on Very Hard difficulty than I did on the PS2 version on Hard. Heh.

Should've fought it like a Legend of Legaia boss. He attacks're based on a pattern until the 50% mark and the 33% mark where he does some stuff to mix it up just once. Use heal items only when you're in single digits or at 11-15. Didn't need to use a single Soul Drop. Only attack with Zio and get a Once More to heal/attack again with golf club when he's on the turn where he guards. Defend on every other turn.

It's been too long from jrpgs for me hah

It's tough to compare this game directly to other JRPGs. However, I'll work with what I've got here.

The combat is turn-based but not as instantly strategic as a Tactics game when in battle, but in Persona, your success in battle depends quite a bit on how you prepare outside of combat. The dungeons are much more linear than the large fields of FFXII.

The unique structure of the game is very well designed in and especially out of combat and the systems are designed in a way that what you do during your days at school and in town has a drastic effect on what you can do in dungeons.

I found the characters to be much stronger than the already strong characters in FFXII. The writing is mostly superb, often funny, and is satisfying day-to-day and across the entire story arc.

The story and the system design are extraordinary throughout and it has held up in many people's minds as one of, if not the, best JRPGS on PS2. For proof, when is the last time you've seen a OT for a rerelease of a five year old game hit fifteen hundred posts before the game even comes out? (And that's not including the thousand-post+ review thread.)

Yeah seeing the excitement around it is what drew my attention to the game. Thank you for taking the time to do that great write up. I am definitely picking this up right now. Your discussion of the characters has me sold as that is what I have been really missing from a good JRPG.

Yeah seeing the excitement around it is what drew my attention to the game. Thank you for taking the time to do that great write up. I am definitely picking this up right now. Your discussion of the characters has me sold as that is what I have been really missing from a good JRPG.

Keep in mind thy the first three or so hours are basically on autopilot. the game becomes way more open after that.

Venfayth

Got about 5 hours in on Very Hard, got up through a few levels in the first dungeon. I grinded a LOT on 1f the very first time you go in. I got a chest spawn right around the corner from the entrance, so I was able to go in, grab it, run out, go back in, etc.

This made up for the fact that you can't buy sodas from the vending machines before 4/18 :/ They also nerfed the roulette to just one extra per win, although it did seem like there was a chance for another bonus after you win once, so I dunno, I never got it to happen.

There's also a "soul tomato" vendor who will sell you 3 soul tomatos for 800y in the Junes lobby. One soul tomato heals 20sp. Not sure how often she restocks.

Other stuff I noticed includes: It's way easier to get the preemptive bonuses than it was originally in p4 as the monsters do not turn around as fast. It's closer to p3p. Turning the camera in dungeons with l1/r1 is much slower for some reason. Dunno why. :X

Also, once you find the stairs to the next level, you can go run around and then instantly teleport to the next floor whenever you want by accessing the square button. Pretty convenient.

Last notable thing:

While grinding on 1f of the castle, two different times I noticed a very peculiar sound. It was a creepy groaning sound, accompanied by the clinking of metal... like chains.

I waited around near the entrance, but nothing happened for a few minutes.. The sound just kept happening.

Death?

Ponn

Banned
Okay, had to get Walking Dead 5 out of the way. I knew what that was going to do to me. Now I can hop full steam into this and hopefully it will cheer me up.

fernoca

Trying this "for a few minutes before playing Black Ops II with a friend" turned into playing nearly 2 hours and telling my friend I was busy. :p

Game's great, love the characters; makes me glad I have Arena too. XD

Dantis

I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete Persona 2. Four hours in, and I am really disliking the battle mechanic in the game. I've been debating about dropping P2 and jumping to P3P and getting my girl action on. Does P2 *really* get amazing, regarding the plot and characters? Enough to stay for the mediocre gameplay?

It's hard to say... I feel like I was hooked on it at that point. Where are you in it? You could always drop it and come back to it after P3P I guess...

You may be sure that we did not.

I feel like I should mention that I meant this in a "Maybe this sold so well and they only printed a small amount of it?" way.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was a bit cold on the game when I played it on the PS2 and never ended up finishing it, but I decided to make an impulse purchase and bought Golden on my way home tonight. I've put three hours or so into it and I'm adoring it, and even though I didn't care for it my initial time through, it does sort of feel like I'm returning to an old friend. Unfortunately, I remember having some trouble when I originally played it, so I put it on easy, figuring that with school it'd be for the best, and man, this is completely unchallenging and I'm really regretting it.

I'm still having a blast though. It's also kind of insane to have a game I played four years ago on a home console now on my handheld looking even better.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, my pre-order of the Solid Gold has changed to backorder.

I'll cancel it and get the normal and Ragnarok.

Is it with Amazon? If so don't cancel yet. They usually give you something for the trouble.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last notable thing:

While grinding on 1f of the castle, two different times I noticed a very peculiar sound. It was a creepy groaning sound, accompanied by the clinking of metal... like chains.

I waited around near the entrance, but nothing happened for a few minutes.. The sound just kept happening.

Death?
This just started happening to me.
I thought this sort of thing was restricted to New Game Plus?

It's kind of creeping me out because I don't want to open any treasure chests anymore since I haven't saved in a whiiiile... :|

Dantis

This just started happening to me.
I thought this sort of thing was restricted to New Game Plus?

It's kind of creeping me out because I don't want to open any treasure chests anymore since I haven't saved in a whiiiile... :|

Nope, can happen on your first playthrough now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nope, can happen on your first playthrough now.
Ehhhhh?! I didn't prepare for this. I just wanted to farm items and then put the Vita in sleep mode since I didn't beat
Chie's Shadow
yet.

I'm getting nightmare flashbacks to Tartarus with that sound.

Well, I'll say one thing: I totally appreciate that they made this game harder! It's been a while since RPG victories felt like accomplishments.

Top Bottom