• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

I played P4A this week in anticipation of getting Golden. Chie's new voice isn't terrible so much as I remember how much more I enjoyed the original actress's portrayal.

I played P4A this week in anticipation of getting Golden. Chie's new voice isn't terrible so much as I remember how much more I enjoyed the original actress's portrayal.

That helps a lot, it still is strange hearin all these lines that you remember and hear them being read completely differently, such as TRIAL OF THE DRAGON, and You guys SSSSSSUCK!

P90

Oh come on its not THAT bad.

If Fitzgerald didn't have to follow up after Rooney, new Chie would be a pretty decent performance. When you compare original Chie to new Chie that is when you notice the issue. People new to P4 probably won't mind new Chie. Atlus is pretty darn good with choosing VAs.

If Fitzgerald didn't have to follow up after Rooney, new Chie would be a pretty decent performance. When you compare original Chie to new Chie that is when you notice the issue. People new to P4 probably won't mind new Chie. Atlus is pretty darn good with choosing VAs.

I remember plenty of people up in arms when original Chie's voice samples came out

LuchaShaq

Banned

Can't disagree more. What I liked about persona 3/4 VO is that besides Ted and a little rise no one had an awful cliched anime voice. New chie is basically exactly what a bad joke anime VO would be.

I always get kinda stressed playing these games.

I worry that I'm not doing the right thing or I'm lagging behind on a particular stat or I'm wasting time grinding in a dungeon when I could've used that time to work on a SL or a stat.

Now that I can't really heal up reliably in a dungeon I'm concerned that if I take more than one trip in per 'rescue' that I'm wasting too much time that should be spent on other things. =P

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I remember plenty of people up in arms when original Chie's voice samples came out

I always thought her original voice was a bit flat compared to everyone else. It was kinda odd that she was the only one without any prior experience in video game/anime etc before. Judging by her demo, she mostly did commercials and I think she was in some soap operas.

_woLf

The only thing I don't like about Chie's voice actor is that I can clearly tell that she's Canadian. She has the accent in some of the things she says.

It's always a "buhh?" moment for me when I hear it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The only thing I don't like about Chie's voice actor is that I can clearly tell that she's Canadian. She has the accent in some of the things she says.

It's always a "buhh?" moment for me when I hear it.

Canadian accents are funny, when they say "aboot" it's adorable.

Tamanon

Banned

I worry that I'm not doing the right thing or I'm lagging behind on a particular stat or I'm wasting time grinding in a dungeon when I could've used that time to work on a SL or a stat.

Now that I can't really heal up reliably in a dungeon I'm concerned that if I take more than one trip in per 'rescue' that I'm wasting too much time that should be spent on other things. =P

I've already made it my goal to spend the first time through on raising stats to max and doing my perfect S-link/Quest run on my New Game+.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
A few Vita screenshot wallpapers that I made yesterday if anyone cares:
qYYtV.jpg
Grkr7.jpg

8QK8i.jpg
fP9ML.jpg

MBrOs.jpg
z2GLu.jpg

Vmevk.jpg
criwZ.jpg

kikZ7.jpg
9NX0H.jpg

8tSqR.jpg
qn9Ni.jpg

Using this one atm:

All from the beginning of the game, so it shouldnt really be spoilery. If there is one, I'll remove the direct picture.

cjkeats

Canadian accents are funny, when they say "aboot" it's adorable.

I've never once non-ironicly said "aboot" in my life, and I've never set foot outside of Canada, but hey, I'll take the adorable compliment anyways.

In the game you can press select and go back through all the dialogue and replay the voices and everything. I don't remember this in any other game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'm going to be buying this game I think, but is it really that stressful to play??

can't decide if I want to play on easy like i did with p3 or normal and deal with cheap bosses that make me wanna quit playing but at least make the grind less boring...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm going to be buying this game I think, but is it really that stressful to play??

Nah, you wont be able to max everything in your first playthrough but you dont NEED to. I can imagine its annoying for people that cant live with missing stuff on their first playthrough, though, but the game lends itself well for a ng+ playthrough where you can still go for the stuff you missed.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've never once non-ironicly said "aboot" in my life, and I've never set foot outside of Canada, but hey, I'll take the adorable compliment anyways.

In the game you can press select and go back through all the dialogue and replay the voices and everything. I don't remember this in any other game.

Hehehe.

Canada is awesome though, they brought me hockey, I could never hate them for that. <3

bigkrev

This game is a LOT harder than P3P was. I actually died against Shadow Yukiko the first time I faced her, and the 2nd try was a struggle that I barely was able to eek out. Not having a way to heal the party HP/SP in the TV is a HUGE change from P3P

Toma

This game is a LOT harder than P3P was. I actually died against Shadow Yukiko the first time I faced her, and the 2nd try was a struggle that I barely was able to eek out. Not having a way to heal the party HP/SP in the TV is a HUGE change from P3P

Why keep people saying that? There are the SP/HP heal cards.

Venfayth

Why keep people saying that? There are the SP/HP heal cards.

Also you can spam SoS, also you can reload the dungeon until you get a chest near the entrance and then hop in and out to farm that chest, also you can buy soul tomatos and soda once a week before you enter the TV.

There are ways to do it, but it's tougher ;p

Curufinwe

Buy TaP sodas from the vending machine to restore SP then heal with Dia.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Shadow Yukiko can be really tough, but the rest of the game isn't so bad.

This game has the issue where the first few bosses in the game are considered the hardest.

Venfayth

Also, what difficulty are you on?

Dantis

Thank god!

Also, since I turned off those animations, and fusion pictures, the game's combat pace is at a point where I am having fun. :-D

Honestly, I can't believe you made it that far without animation skip. ;)

Ahaha.

You say that now.

JUST YOU WAIT.

P90

Rooney has a nice CV. http://traceyrooney.com/Credits.htm Everyone's taste and expectations are different.

Can't disagree more. What I liked about persona 3/4 VO is that besides Ted and a little rise no one had an awful cliched anime voice. New chie is basically exactly what a bad joke anime VO would be.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Fitzgerald's voice. I think that Atlus got an experienced VA that kinda fit Chie's character. Chie's new voice is pretty upper mid-ranged spiked. It bugs me. It just seems that new players aren't too put off by the voice.

Relax. Don't try to get it all done on a first run through. If you go Very Easy you can put less time into the dungeon crawling and devote more time to S. Links and such.

Dantis

Concur! This is exactly my thoughts. Like I said earlier, I think they were trying for something completely different from the previous one after people got so down on it. I feel they took it too far though.

I think it'll be alright once we get into the game though. I've played games with bad voices before and after a few hours you just get used to it.

Syrinx

About a couple hours in. Thoughts so far:

-There have been a couple of times where Chie's voice annoyed me, but overall I don't think it's that bad. I never heard the original dub, though, so take that for what you will.

-I really like the characters I've met thus far. Can't quite decide if Yosuke or Yukiko is my favorite at this point in time.

-The way that personas seem to be discovered in this game, that is,
the characters facing shadow versions of themselves and having to confront their true feelings, intentions, and demons,
sounds awesome. Though I hope that doesn't stunt growth in the characters for the rest of the game.

Can't wait to play more!

is there a way to skip animations in this?

Also, is it just me or is this one of the few modern jrpgs with no text speed toggle? And it's permanently on instant.

Wasn't the ps2 one not on instant?

Honestly, I can't believe you made it that far without animation skip. ;)

Ahaha.

You say that now.

JUST YOU WAIT.

Dunno, I am doing Very Hard and without Rise's slink, that combined with all the penalties and the save points before the boss rooms being removed might make for a hardish game?

cj_iwakura

About a couple hours in. Thoughts so far:

-There have been a couple of times where Chie's voice annoyed me, but overall I don't think it's that bad. I never heard the original dub, though, so take that for what you will.

-I really like the characters I've met thus far. Can't quite decide if Yosuke or Yukiko is my favorite at this point in time.

-The way that personas seem to be discovered in this game, that is,
the characters facing shadow versions of themselves and having to confront their true feelings, intentions, and demons,
sounds awesome. Though I hope that doesn't stunt growth in the characters for the rest of the game.

Can't wait to play more!

That's a throwback to Persona 2, though the shadow versions came later in P2.

Dantis

is there a way to skip animations in this?

Also, is it just me or is this one of the few modern jrpgs with no text speed toggle? And it's permanently on instant.

Wasn't the ps2 one not on instant?

Press start twice to skip animations.

Dunno, I am doing Very Hard and without Rise's slink, that combined with all the penalties and the save points before the boss rooms being removed might make for a hardish game?

Sure, but the guy I quoted isn't doing that. :p

bigkrev

Also, what difficulty are you on?

I'm on Normal (same difficulty I played P3P at). The only part of the game I want to do on the go is Grinding, so I liked that in P3P i could just go to Tartarus and stay there for a few hours while I was on the bus or something and didn't have the sound on. Now, I can't stay in the TV for extended periods without needing to jump back to the main world, and I'm afraid i'll miss something during the day.

Also, Analyze not actually telling you anything until you have tried an attack is a big change as well- you need to spend time trying different attacks on enemies rather than just scanning, seeing they are weak to fire, and firing off some Agi spells.

Top Bottom