• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Afrocious

I stopped playing Very Hard after I got annoyed by these beetles that would do close to 200 damage on me.

I figured I lost my touch considering I played P4 so much back in 2008/9.

Then again, I sure don't have my Black Frost :(

Golbez

r8ANel.jpg

This is who I was using for the Third Shadow. (On Normal) Never really needed to switch over to Senri for the Null Fire, though I did for the Sukunda.

I heart heart heart picking skills in fusion.

I am forcing myself to finish AC3L before loading up P4G and it is killing me, ACL3 keeps bugging out on the 2nd/3rd mission, trying really hard to like/finish this game, we will see, loving all the positivity in a Vita game thread though! (Making it all the harder not to start playing through it)

Is it just me or is it really hard to find new persona with stats high enough to match the one you have been using due to the new shuffle card system? I just finished the castle dungeon and my izanagi is still far far beyond anything else I can fuse or find stat and level wise due to getting so many stat and level up bonus cards.

I have attempted switching a couple times now to start getting a new persona the same bonuses but the difference is so big that I just end up switching back.

Does very hard increase the cost of getting personas you're registered back?

I might play through it on hard first and then crank it to very hard for the perfect 100% slink 2nd run.

Afrocious

I don't have the patience to do Very Hard in this game. I find it more difficult than Expert w/o the compendium in the original P4.

For every trial, there's that fatal error that'll knock you back to the last save. Then it's back to the climb until the next death with nothing to show for it except you now know that the brotagonist is an aggro-magnet when fighting a damn giant bug.

I think it's hilariously hard. Trial and error!

Venfayth

I've spent a LOT of time grinding in order to progress on Very Hard. I just beat the 3rd Shadow and I'm around 9 hours played. Lots of farming chests for SP items to stay in the TV as long as possible. The items you get on her 7f are very good, also (forgot the name, 100 almighty damage to all opponents) is very useful.

It's just fucking tough to fight some of the packs that don't have weaknesses. Really, just stay on the low floors for a long time until you level up a bunch. Levelling up really decreases the damage you take. Try and get some Gentleman's Tux's from the Gold Chests for MC and Brosuke, if you can.

My formerly delayed til December Solid Gold edition just shipped. Not bad Amazon, not bad. Not sure what the deal is with it, though.

Oh, man. I haven't started yet. And I'm trying to keep an open mind. But that was one of the worst voice acting jobs I have ever heard in my life. I get it was intentionally annoying, but still. She was fine as Quark in VLR, though, I thought. The fact that you recognized it as the same is a bad sign, though.

Well, for what it's worth there are only two or three "Magical Princess Dolly" or whatever type lines. Overall it isn't exactly the same which is why I was curious. It does appear to be her though, but don't let that worry you. Seriously it's not too terrible.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is it just me or is it really hard to find new persona with stats high enough to match the one you have been using due to the new shuffle card system? I just finished the castle dungeon and my izanagi is still far far beyond anything else I can fuse or find stat and level wise due to getting so many stat and level up bonus cards.

I have attempted switching a couple times now to start getting a new persona the same bonuses but the difference is so big that I just end up switching back.

It will be super rare to use a persona you randomly get in a dungeon.

Fusion is where it's at!

I've spent a LOT of time grinding in order to progress on Very Hard. I just beat the 3rd Shadow and I'm around 9 hours played. Lots of farming chests for SP items to stay in the TV as long as possible. The items you get on her 7f are very good, also (forgot the name, 100 almighty damage to all opponents) is very useful.

It's just fucking tough to fight some of the packs that don't have weaknesses. Really, just stay on the low floors for a long time until you level up a bunch. Levelling up really decreases the damage you take. Try and get some Gentleman's Tux's from the Gold Chests for MC and Brosuke, if you can.

How do you farm chests?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am forcing myself to finish AC3L before loading up P4G and it is killing me, ACL3 keeps bugging out on the 2nd/3rd mission, trying really hard to like/finish this game, we will see, loving all the positivity in a Vita game thread though! (Making it all the harder not to start playing through it)
I dropped it for a bit in favour of this and Ys Celceta. I will go back to it eventually before the year ends, but not yet.

Wuthering_Heights said:
I have no idea how the hell you very hard people are doing it.
I find it a bit exhilarating! I haven't felt this way about challenge in a video game in a while. Sure, I get pissed off and think some things are complete bullshit, but I'm feeling pretty satisfied with it. Playing Ys/Kiseki, SMT/Persona, and Tales on higher difficulties are certainly different beasts because they do different things with it (with Tales being the most bs because it's limited only to enemy stat multipliers).

But I like this because it penalizes the player in almost every front. You can't just grind to bypass the difficulty because you get less XP and money now. Nothing is in your favour at all! :D

How do you farm chests?
Chests regenerate when you enter/exit the dungeon.

I dropped it for a bit in favour of this and Ys Celceta. I will go back to it eventually before the year ends, but not yet.

I find it a bit exhilarating! I haven't felt this way about challenge in a video game in a while. Sure, I get pissed off and think some things are complete bullshit, but I'm feeling pretty satisfied with it. Playing Ys/Kiseki, SMT/Persona, and Tales on higher difficulties are certainly different beasts because they do different things with it (with Tales being the most bs because it's limited only to enemy stat multipliers).

Chests regenerate when you enter/exit the dungeon.

This. I am getting my ass kicked, but I enjoy the thrill of a challenge. I know later on, even this difficulty defaults out, oh well.

Found something cool in the listing sections:
if you select Tatsu TV dead channel, Teddie shows up and you can poke him and he reacts and paces back and forth.

Afrocious

That's cool.

I personally enjoy the thrill of a fun game. Considering I find Very Hard to be stupid at the moment and anyone who likes it to be into very dangerous and possibly kinky stuff that requires utmost consent, I'll be doing Very Hard
once I have my Pokedex filled with Pokemon

After playing games recently like XCOM and Demon's Souls, the sole method of dying then reloading a save sure does come across as stale and archaic. This is doubly true for me considering Persona 4 is game you scroll through menus to fight enemies.

I'll be honest, I'm just butthurt and emasculated.

Venfayth

How do you farm chests?

If you go back to the entrance to the TV world, and then go to the castle, the 1st floor will get a new pattern. Find a pattern that results in you having a chest very close to the entrance, preferably with no monster spawn in the way. Then you go in, open the chest, go out (do NOT "return to entrance" when teddie asks, as it'll change the pattern), and go back in. Rinse and repeat.

Once you've got enough Soul Drops/Snuff Souls it's very easy to level up as you basically don't run out of SP. I got about 10 Snuff Souls and that was enough to last me through the grind and the boss.

That's cool.

I personally enjoy the thrill of a fun game. Considering I find Very Hard to be stupid at the moment and anyone who likes it to be into very dangerous and possibly kinky stuff that requires utmost consent, I'll be doing Very Hard
once I have my Pokedex filled with Pokemon

After playing games recently like XCOM and Demon's Souls, the sole method of dying then reloading a save sure does come across as stale and archaic. This is doubly true for me considering Persona 4 is game you scroll through menus to fight enemies.

I'll be honest, I'm just butthurt and emasculated.

Is this your first megaten on harder difficulties at least? Persona is the casual branch, but harder difficulties on all megaten games are always cheap and punishing. Also, megaten tends to rely much more on buffs and debuffs than other series.

Afrocious

Is this your first megaten on harder difficulties at least? Persona is the casual branch, but harder difficulties on all megaten games are always cheap and punishing. Also, megaten tends to rely much more on buffs and debuffs than other series.

It's not my first Persona game. I did play Nocturne for a bit but I couldn't get into it at the time cause I wasn't feeling the dreariness the game presented.

I did beat P4 on Expert but that was with my compendium at like 60 or 70% upon starting a replay.

It's not my first Persona game. I did play Nocturne for a bit but I couldn't get into it at the time cause I wasn't feeling the dreariness the game presented.

I did beat P4 on Expert but that was with my compendium at like 60 or 70% upon starting a replay.

Yes, Very Hard on this game seems like P3FES on hard. It will get easier once you get past the bathhouse.

Ken

If you go back to the entrance to the TV world, and then go to the castle, the 1st floor will get a new pattern. Find a pattern that results in you having a chest very close to the entrance, preferably with no monster spawn in the way. Then you go in, open the chest, go out (do NOT "return to entrance" when teddie asks, as it'll change the pattern), and go back in. Rinse and repeat.

Once you've got enough Soul Drops/Snuff Souls it's very easy to level up as you basically don't run out of SP. I got about 10 Snuff Souls and that was enough to last me through the grind and the boss.

How do you go back to the castle after you beat the shadow there? Or should I just do this chest spamming in the next one.

Syrinx

Stupid noob question from somebody who's too much of a pathetic pussy to find out the answer for himself:

So, the fog sets in after like, several days of rain, right? It's not going to rain once and then BOOM it's foggy and I'm as good as fucked up my ass? And do the weather forecasts in the came explicitly denote fog (like P3 where it charted the moon cycles)?

Regarding the characters, not entirely sure why the Chie brigade is so massive and rabid. She's a good character, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not seeing the "OMG she's so awesome please be my waifu" qualities about her. Yukiko seems much better so far. I never played original P4, though, so maybe the change in voice actresses really has made that big a difference.

Venfayth

How do you go back to the castle after you beat the shadow there? Or should I just do this chest spamming in the next one.

Talk to Teddie or Chie while in the TV, I think they should be able to take you back to the castle if you beat the 3rd shadow there. If you're talking about the event that happens on 4/17, I don't think you can go back until the next day.

Stupid noob question from somebody who's too much of a pathetic pussy to find out the answer for himself:

So, the fog sets in after like, several days of rain, right? It's not going to rain once and then BOOM it's foggy and I'm as good as fucked up my ass? And do the weather forecasts in the came explicitly denote fog (like P3 where it charted the moon cycles)?

Related to your spoiler question:

Three days of rain causes fog the day after. You must save them by the end of the third day of rain, or you lose.

Golbez

It'll always be after a few days of rain, and the game likes to give you a number of warnings. Honestly it's pretty hard to accidentally game over, and even if you do, you get sent back a week so you don't completely screw yourself over.

Necrovex

But, Eternal Punishment is actually difficult.

I'll give Eternal Punishment the proper treatment it deserves if it ever comes out in the states. Right now, I'm rushing through P2, since I really want to play through Fire Emblem 11 and 12. If I don't finish P2 now, I know I will never finish it.

Honestly, I can't believe you made it that far without animation skip. ;)

It was a tough war, but in the end, I defeated that fierce foe called combat pacing.

Tamanon

Banned

Regarding the characters, not entirely sure why the Chie brigade is so massive and rabid. She's a good character, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not seeing the "OMG she's so awesome please be my waifu" qualities about her. Yukiko seems much better so far. I never played original P4, though, so maybe the change in voice actresses really has made that big a difference.

Basically, as far as weather goes....
You'll usually see 2 or 3 days of rain in a row. At the end of that batch of rain is when the rescue needs to be done by.

Wait until you meet Rise also. Rise > Chie > Yukiko

Syrinx

Related to your spoiler question:

Three days of rain causes fog the day after. You must save them by the end of the third day of rain, or you lose.

It'll always be after a few days of rain, and the game likes to give you a number of warnings. Honestly it's pretty hard to accidentally game over, and even if you do, you get sent back a week so you don't completely screw yourself over.

Basically, as far as weather goes....
You'll usually see 2 or 3 days of rain in a row. At the end of that batch of rain is when the rescue needs to be done by.

Wait until you meet Rise also. Rise > Chie > Yukiko

Great. Load off my mind. Can't wait to meet Rise, either.

I'll give Eternal Punishment the proper treatment it deserves if it ever comes out in the states. Right now, I'm rushing through P2, since I really want to play through Fire Emblem 11 and 12. If I don't finish P2 now, I know I will never finish it.

It was a tough war, but in the end, I defeated that fierce foe called combat pacing.

Do you have Estoma, if not, get it pronto.

Tamanon

Banned
Up to June now. The new Nanako scenes actually make her more likable, if that's possible.

Also, adorable new Chie scene.
Thunderstorm ghost stories, lol

It will be super rare to use a persona you randomly get in a dungeon.

Fusion is where it's at!

Even fusion I can't seem to make one better then my current izanagi.

My character level is 16 and I fused some random persona, forget which but it turned out a fusion accident of a level 17 ippon-datara on a day where the fusion forecast gave bonus stats.

The stat difference between the two is

Ippon-Datura level 17 -str 18 mag 7 en 14 ag 13 lu 10
Izanagi level 14 - str 18 mag 15 en 13 ag 13 lu 10

Considering Izanagi will get even more of a stat boost from leveling up to 17 to be equal its not even really a competition and I can't even make a persona higher level then that. This accident is literally the only one so far to even come close that I have seen even from fusion.

Golbez

Even fusion I can't seem to make one better then my current izanagi.

My character level is 16 and I fused some random persona, forget which but it turned out a fusion accident of a level 17 ippon-datara on a day where the fusion forecast gave bonus stats.

The stat difference between the two is

Ippon-Datura level 17 -str 18 mag 7 en 14 ag 13 lu 10
Izanagi level 14 - str 18 mag 15 en 13 ag 13 lu 10

Considering Izanagi will get even more of a stat boost from leveling up to 17 to be equal its not even really a competition and I can't even make a persona higher level then that. This accident is literally the only one so far to even come close that I have seen even from fusion.
Well, eventually you won't want to use him because he has a weakness. I'd have mentioned his crappy skills too, but I suppose Skill Cards can get around that now.

As you play more it will become evident that building Personae through fusion is the key, but that is a good Izanagi for early game. The thing is, strong social links with your firends allow you to craft personas beyond your own level. so you can be level 33 and fuse a level 38 persona, for example

As you play more it will become evident that building Personae through fusion is the key, but that is a good Izanagi for early game. The thing is, strong social links with your firends allow you to craft personas beyond your own level. so you can be level 33 and fuse a level 38 persona, for example

Yeah, this is more of an early game observation since stuff like weaknesses and S.Link bonuses will come into play later on. I just found it weird that there is literally no incentive still to switch thus far after like 10ish hours of playing.

With skill cards getting rid of the need to upgrade for new skills and the new shuffle time providing almost non stop stat bonuses as well as bypassing the need to get huge amounts of exp to level him up I wouldn't be surprised if I am still using Izanagi for a good chunk more time.

So it is feasible to main izanagi in this game?

No. It would really be an insane challenge. He will level much slower than the pace of the game, the grinding to keep him on par with what you're facing would be really tedious and his skills would pale in comparison to later personas. You will want to get as many personas as possible and switch between different ones for different situations.

Golbez

With the new systems, it's certainly possible, but you'd be eliminating one of the most fun, addicting game portions by only using one Persona.
Right. People do it for challenges and whatnot, but it's pretty unusual and not the way the game is meant to played. I always ditch him right after he learns his last skill.

Top Bottom