• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Venfayth

I'd heard this was crazy hard. Playing on Very Easy for the story. Am I cheating myself?

Very hard is turning out to be very very grindy. Takes a long time to get the levels you need. However, the changes to fusing and skill cards mean it's very easy to get ridiculously strong Persona for the MC.

That being said, I have another tip for anyone else treading the waters of very-hard :O

Try and fuse a Sarasvati (17 priestess) or Ame no Uzeme (18 Aeon) as soon as possible. Sarasvati has Null Ice, and is only weak to Elec. She gets Invigorate II at 19 and Null Elec at 23. I tend to stick with her a lot in regular P4, gonna try her out here as well. Ame no Uzeme gets Invig I at 20. Having either Invigorate will alleviate most of your SP concerns on the MC, as you can head to floor 1 of the castle with solo MC and just spam guard against one enemy to get max SP in no time.

Dantis

I don't know. By today's standards, it could very well be considered very hard.

That's because you've not seen how insanely powerful you get as you go on.

I didn't even have to use an SP item for the final boss, because Rise just kept refilling it. It is madness.

You recommend re-starting? I'm 5 and 1/2 hours in.

Personally, I wouldn't. I love my game timers, and if you restart, you'll be skipping everything and the timer will be ruined!

I think I'd probably blast through on very easy, then do new game plus on normal, with all my nice costumes and gained knowledge and whatnot. But you're not far in, it's a 70 hour game, so restarting is an option.

Astra

I didn't even have to use an SP item for the final boss, because Rise just kept refilling it. It is madness.

Wow. Victory Cry mid-battle. haha. Talk about a broken game!

Necrovex

I went into the velvet room twice.

Necro, that's a shame. I wish people could enjoy 2 as much as me :(

Bad times. :(

You and Dantis have each other. I'm not permanently putting it on the shelves, I might return to it after I complete TOR; I'll probably return to it during the winter break. If I do return, I'll make a lovely LTTP post, and we can gush about it as I tether into madness because of the gameplay. :-D

Golbez

Very hard is turning out to be very very grindy. Takes a long time to get the levels you need. However, the changes to fusing and skill cards mean it's very easy to get ridiculously strong Persona for the MC.

That being said, I have another tip for anyone else treading the waters of very-hard :O

Try and fuse a Sarasvati (17 priestess) or Ame no Uzeme (18 Aeon) as soon as possible. Sarasvati has Null Ice, and is only weak to Elec. She gets Invigorate II at 19 and Null Elec at 23. I tend to stick with her a lot in regular P4, gonna try her out here as well. Ame no Uzeme gets Invig I at 20. Having either Invigorate will alleviate most of your SP concerns on the MC, as you can head to floor 1 of the castle with solo MC and just spam guard against one enemy to get max SP in no time.
I'll shoot for these tonight. Looking forward to having Invigorate II.

Dantis

You and Dantis have each other. I'm not permanently putting it on the shelves, I might return to it after I complete TOR; I'll probably return to it during the winter break. If I do return, I'll make a lovely LTTP post, and we can gush about it as I tether into madness because of the gameplay. :-D

Haha, maybe by the time you finish it, Atlus US will have actually announced a localisation of EP. ;)

P90

Awesome! A good pair of headphones make a huge difference. The sound is just much more rich and deep, than with these cheap earbuds I was using.

That's true, they're fresh out of the box. The animated cutscenes are actually very loud, and I have to turn the volume down quite a bit. I picked up these ones. They were on clearance at Futureshop for $62.

At 107 dB/mW, that is way efficient. That is an awesome deal! I tried to do a search on the site, but no luck. I'm a headphonaholic.

I would say that you run full spectrum music (classical, jazz) through them when you aren't using the 'phones. Break 'em fully in. Somewhat related, EVH breaks in the speakers on his amps via full on feedback with his guitar propped against the amp for something like a week. I think that might be too much for headphones.

Omikaru

God, I really hope this comes tomorrow. I'm busy most of the day Saturday, and I want a whole day to enjoy this. If it comes Saturday, I'll be waiting until Sunday to really enjoy this. :(

Still, reassuring to see some of the VG+ orders are arriving.

Astra

Haha, maybe by the time you finish it, Atlus US will have actually announced a localisation of EP. ;)

I want this to happen... badly.
Well, I was more concerned about IS being localized, since I never got to play it way back when. But I'd love to have EP, then we would have the entire Persona collection available on the Vita!

At 107 dB/mW, that is way efficient. That is an awesome deal! I tried to do a search on the site, but no luck. I'm a headphonaholic.

I would say that you run full spectrum music (classical, jazz) through them when you aren't using the 'phones. Break 'em fully in. Somewhat related, EVH breaks in the speakers on his amps via full on feedback with his guitar propped against the amp for something like a week. I think that might be too much for headphones.

That's good to hear! I know only a little about headphones, so I really just stumbled into this deal. I actually saw them hanging on a rack under a $39.99 price tag, so I asked about them, and the guy said they were $62. I remembered reading about these headphones back when I was doing research, and recalled them being pretty good, and rather expensive, so I picked them up immediately.

Thanks for the tip about the classical. I have a few CDs of Classical, so I'll do just that.

This is me right now, and I've never been a fan of playing RPGs while drunk. And after thinking I'm a stud and starting on Very Hard, then having my ass handed to me by SHADOW CHIE of all things, I should probably hold off on tackling the Yukiko dungeon until I'm at full mental capacity.

Don't give in, keep with it and come up victorious!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe doing the first dungeon in one go on Very Hard isn't such a good idea, haha. That's what I usually did when I played the PS2 version on Hard, so I figured it'd work out here.

But man it's turning out to be a test of endurance unless I grind for treasures.

(I'm still enjoying it. Feels good.)

Golbez

Money is just as hard to get as ever this time around... at least early in the game. I've got 622 yen now after so many rainy days at Aiya. I can barely afford TaP!

Was playing Yukikos castle today, got about 5 floors in and got my ass handed to me. I thought I lost all the progress but the game prompted me to restart the floor. Was that in the original?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Was playing Yukikos castle today, got about 5 floors in and got my ass handed to me. I thought I lost all the progress but the game prompted me to restart the floor. Was that in the original?

No. It's in every mode now except Very Hard.

I can see why they did it for the handheld market though.

Nope. But I think you could restart at bottom.

Forgot how hard it is before you got yukiko to heal.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Guess I've gotta come back here on a rainy day or a day where I'm not planning on doing S. Links (probably 4/21 because I want to eat at Aiya on the rainy days). Luckily I'm at the boss door at Lv 17 so that's fine. I simply have very little SP left. :lol

I like how the mode's making me modify my playstyle. Hard modes in other games don't make me do that. I love how it's genuinely hard. :3

No. Have you ever watched the movie Drive? There is a part in an elevator where he stomps on a guy's face until it becomes mush. I want to do this to Erin- Chie.

She is at her absolute worse when she is imitating Yosuke, or talking all excitedly. So cringe-worthy!

My name Chee, I yell at the top of lung

No. Have you ever watched the movie Drive? There is a part in an elevator where he stomps on a guy's face until it becomes mush. I want to do this to Erin- Chie.

She is at her absolute worse when she is imitating Yosuke, or talking all excitedly. So cringe-worthy!
I've had those friends :x

Hard to not cringe at times!

P90

That's good to hear! I know only a little about headphones, so I really just stumbled into this deal. I actually saw them hanging on a rack under a $39.99 price tag, so I asked about them, and the guy said they were $62. I remembered reading about these headphones back when I was doing research, and recalled them being pretty good, and rather expensive, so I picked them up immediately.

Thanks for the tip about the classical. I have a few CDs of Classical, so I'll do just that.

Here is a link regarding speaker break in. I am more of a musician/songwriter than audiophile, so that may color my approach to headphone break in.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Breaking_in_Your_Speakers.aspx

Anything to help a fellow P4 fan, especially a ゆきこ aficionado. ;)

Astra

My name Chee, I yell at the top of lung

She wasn't annoying at all as Quark! Why is she so bad here?

Here is a link regarding speaker break in. I am more of a musician/songwriter than audiophile, so that may color my approach to headphone break in.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Breaking_in_Your_Speakers.aspx

Anything to help a fellow P4 fan, especially a ゆきこ aficionado. ;)

Thanks for the link!

Hahaha. Not gonna lie, I enjoyed what came up in Google images when I searched that. :}

Astra

Interesting how the Chie Army gave way to the Yukiko Brigade. Can I be the head of the Spookies Battalion?

Yukiko is a jewel in the dunghill that is Golden Chie.
Haha, it sucks, because I still love Chie as a character. I just wish I could turn her voice off. =(

yami4ct

Personally, I wouldn't. I love my game timers, and if you restart, you'll be skipping everything and the timer will be ruined!

I think I'd probably blast through on very easy, then do new game plus on normal, with all my nice costumes and gained knowledge and whatnot. But you're not far in, it's a 70 hour game, so restarting is an option.

It starts getting pretty easy kind of quick. I started on hard, given I've heard it's easier than P4 proper and I've played that already I though I'd bump it up. Yukiko's dungeon was kind of tough for me. Mainly due to the fact that I went for it all in one go, didn't have many SP items, and you don't have Fox's healing at the time.
Kanji's
Dungeon has been way easier. I plan to up to very hard for a NG+ sometime in the future.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Four years later, I still want to take Nanako to a therapist. Nobody should be that in to a department store.

Probably would tell her that she's using Junes as substitute for her dead mother, put her on meds and she won't be the happy little girl singing anymore!

Venfayth

HAMA, PLEASE HIT THE WEALTH HAND

it's all i want

it's all i need

Probably would tell her that she's using Junes as substitute for her dead mother, put her on meds and she won't be the happy little girl singing anymore!

every day's great at your ju-...ju-......ju-

yami4ct

HAMA, PLEASE HIT THE WEALTH HAND

it's all i want

it's all i need

every day's great at your ju-...ju-......ju-

Is it really necessary to Hama it? My party is ~ lvl 17 and I just physical rush them until it crits, than I all out or start attacking the other hands if there's multiple. I kill them at least 80% of the time, especially if I get a tag-team attack.

Salaadin

11 hours in. Just beat that
giant king mini boss in yukikos castle and got an awesome fan.
I love this game.

Nanako is the coolest little girl in videogames since Isara in Valkyria Chronicles.

yami4ct

Question about Marie: when do you get to hang out with her?

Fairly quick. At some point fairly early, April 18th for me, you just walk into the Velvet Room and that starts an event that you can jumpstart the Marie SL. After they talk to you, you just hit "Check on Residents" in the Velvet Room and than hit "Hear Marie's Request". After that, she appears outside next to the VR Door in the shopping district when you can S.Link.

Top Bottom