• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Astral

Even with the first boss being easier in this version, it's still hard as hell on hard mode. Double Fang is bullshit. I can't imagine Very Hard. If only I had Valkyrie.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
They needed more hot mens in this. Theodore in P3P was a lovely addition, imo.

Instead, I'm stuck with Brosuke, SwagC, GETBENT-kun, and Bishie-Bear. I sorta wished they added a FeMC to this, even though it would've made some bits way different. Being Nanako's big sis would've been cool.

OK, that got a chuckle out of me.

I *think* based on what I have read, P3 was intended with a female protag in mind, but it was later changed to a male protag, which is why it was so much easier to manipulate it to have a FemMC. But with 4, was totally written with a male protag in mind and they'd have to change quite a bit to make it so a Female Protag makes sense.

Where do you get gems for the Shiroku nightclub? I need to give her one so that I can get the fishhook. Oh god it's already closing in on me and Im only 2 days in ohhh fuuuuck.

kewlmyc

Even with the first boss being easier in this version, it's still hard as hell on hard mode. Double Fang is bullshit. I can't imagine Very Hard. If only I had Valkyrie.

I felt the same way. I couldn't breeze through the dungeon in one day, it took me 3 days.

Also, does Marie's social link auto-level no matter what you choose, like Aigis social link in P3FES?

Lastly, I joined the music club. Fuck the haters.

yami4ct

You high enough level? At level 16, and with a null fire persona, I breezed through her. Way more fair than in the original. I got unlucky on the first try and got some bad hits, but on the second I won fairly easy. Didn't even use Amy items.

Astral

You high enough level? At level 16, and with a null fire persona, I breezed through her. Way more fair than in the original. I got unlucky on the first try and got some bad hits, but on the second I won fairly easy. Didn't even use Amy items.

I just beat it. I was level 11. I at least had Orobas which resisted fire, but what was killing me was that damn Double Fangs attack. If I didn't have my defense or evasion up I was straight up dead if it hit.

Venfayth

I did the third shadow (boss of first dungeon) at level 12 on very hard :X took me a while and I had to use most of my special items.

I just killed the boss of the second dungeon at level 22. Details below:

Nice guy weak to fire, but can't be dizzied. Tough guy weak to ice, but can be dizzied. Started fight with auto-taru on MC, switched my my Sarasvati. Spam Mabufu and Maragi with MC, Chi, and Yukiko.

Nice guy doesn't do much. He Red Walls on Tough guy and will Re Patra him when he's dizzied. Nice guy dies first.

Tough guy is very annoying. He does Rampage and another multi-hitting single target attack I can't remember, but thankfully he doesn't get a turn too often due to him being weak to fire and dizzied.

Boss cycles between multihitting attacks on the party, single target, mazio, and white wall on Nice guy (only happened once, Nice guy dies fast). If he gets an extra turn he spends it on Power Charge, which can pretty much be game if you're not careful. He also casts Poison on the party, as well as Rage. Yukiko and Chie got hit EVERY time by Rage, very annoying since Me Patra was only on Yukiko for me. Poison on the other hand hit MC and Yosuke every time. Not sure if this was just a coincidence, but it wasn't really a big deal since it wears off every 2 turns.

After Nice guy died, started focusing on Tough guy. Yosuke died at some point and I let him stay down, he was just guarding to prevent Boss from getting extra turns when he Mazios.

I barely killed Tough guy before the boss hit 50%.

Once boss hits 50% he starts using a very damaging lightning attack on your party - which I cannot remember the name of. It's basically Mazionga.

After boss hit 50%, it was pointless for me to keep Yukiko and Chie alive. They die in 1-2 hits and I was spending all my SP keeping them alive, so I just let them die.

My MC was running Sarasvati who I'd powered up with TONS of Endurance/Luck/Magic cards while grinding. He was basically able to toe-to-toe with the Boss. I'd still get hit by poison, but Dia was able to outheal his damage output by a significant margin. I basically just cast Agi on him to get him down to 25%.

Once boss was at 25% he went into a set rotation (or so it seemed, maybe just an AI loop) that left me at an advantage. He'd do Mazionga, then Spirit Drain, then one of his multi-hitting physical attacks or try to Enrage me, rinse and repeat. Since my Sara had Invig 2, the Spirit Drain really didn't matter since I was either casting Dia or Agi. The Enrage NEVER hit me, and the physical attacks missed half the time. So really all I had to do was Dia until I was sitting at a comfortable health deficit, then Agi a couple times until I had to heal again.

I WAS GOING TO spam revival beads when he was around 0 hp so that I could get everyone alive and deal the killing blow with someone else, but I killed him too early by accident :(

Oh well, he's dead. I only had to spend 10 hours in the TV grinding to get from the state I was after I beat Shadow Yukiko till the death of Shadow Kanji.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
[In an intense battle with Shadow 3 on V. Hard]
[Vita battery runs out]

Damn you, vita battery~

Yeah, they nerfed that boss. It can still crush you on V. Hard if you aren't careful, but I imagine that it'll feel really gimped on Normal/Easy/V.Easy.

OK, that got a chuckle out of me.

I *think* based on what I have read, P3 was intended with a female protag in mind, but it was later changed to a male protag, which is why it was so much easier to manipulate it to have a FemMC. But with 4, was totally written with a male protag in mind and they'd have to change quite a bit to make it so a Female Protag makes sense.
Yeah, I was thinking of how the Dojima - MC dynamic would be affected if you're using a female protag, and it probably wouldn't work right at all.

Still, it was fun to be able to choose between the two genders in P3P.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if this is a spoiler, but... does anyone remember how to get the
Victory Cry Kaiwan
?

It's been so long that I don't remember when the Skill Change days are.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Being at a higher level for Shadow 3 helped a lot. But I still can't believe
the prince runs away this time. It's weird. I guess the boss is a lot easier on lower difficulties. I remember that boss being the hardest boss of the early-game bosses.

Edit: I'd forgotten how much of an ass Dojima is towards Young Detective. :lol

I don't know if this is a spoiler, but... does anyone remember how to get the
Victory Cry Kaiwan
?

It's been so long that I don't remember when the Skill Change days are.
It's random, right? I think the days are like...
May 4, May 18, May 20, May 25. June 24 (which is when I usually do it), June 27, July 4th, etc.
But it could be different in this version...

You guys answer every rescue request you get, right?
Yup. I'm not a Jerky McJerkson. Plus a lot of people answer mine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If someone answers your SOS you can get a small HP/SP boost at the start of a battle. If you have more people answering your call, you get more of a boost.

Rootbeer

Banned
pYGOZ.png
I love you, Persona 4 Golden!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love you, Persona 4 Golden!
lol
I hope they talk about this on the podcast. :p

It's random, right? I think the days are like...
May 4, May 18, May 20, May 25. June 24 (which is when I usually do it), June 27, July 4th, etc.
But it could be different in this version...
I guess I need to search gamefaqs to find the original and try it. I wish you could import your PS2 persona. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish for that too. Spent so much time fusing my Personas.

Oh no, what do I do? I wanted to spend time with Yosuke to level up the S. Link, but then Kou called me to hang out which could lead to levelling up the S.Link the next time I decide to do it. But I don't want to be mean and brush him off.

The awkward times with Social Links begin. ;___;

Edit: Chose Brosuke instead. Sorry, Meat Dimension-bro.

Decided to swing by Target to pick up a standard edition after chauffeuring the misses around to her Black Friday deals. They didn't have it. Not like they sold out, they simply didn't carry it. I asked an associate about it and we was like "derp, we don't get much new Vita stuff." WTF?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I decided to let them roam around in their winter clothes just because.
Plus - Basketball & Music. Went with those in my first playthrough in the PS2 version. Plus Yumi's too dramatic for me.

And Dojima-san, don't make promises you know you can't keep, man. I'm disappointed in you. tsk tsk.

Popularity leads to intimacy.

Edit: new dialogue scene~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
New Social Link spoilers for May 13th:
Ehhhhhhhh?! Well... uh... that's pretty interesting that they're letting you S. Link with him of all people. :O

Oh no, I should really get to sleep... >_<

Trigger

lol, "smooshe!!"

Also: I'm adapting to Chie's voice. The nasal quality of the voice makes her seem more dorky than tomboy in this version. She's not that terrible. Oh, and I like the new battle song.

Anyone wanna add me over PSN for rescue? ID is Quintesson

I'll add you today. My ID is StationR.

Dantis

I feel like I should point out that you're all way overestimating the online stuff. It doesn't take your friends list into account at all. There is no interaction. You press a button when you're running around a dungeon, which sends out an SOS to other random players. If they press the response button, you get a minor health and SP boost.

That's all there is to it.

Omikaru

I feel like I should point out that you're all way overestimating the online stuff. It doesn't take your friends list into account at all. There is no interaction. You press a button when you're running around a dungeon, which sends out an SOS to other random players. If they press the response button, you get a minor health and SP boost.

That's all there is to it.

Really? I thought it was tied to just your friends. That's a very strange social feature to include.

Dantis

Really? I thought it was tied to just your friends. That's a very strange social feature to include.

Nope. When I played through the JP version I used it all the time, and had no friends with the game.

When they referred to it as a dungeon rescue, it really gives off the wrong idea. The only visual component to it is a message that says "You are not alone!".

Trigger

Yeah, I figured. That feature didn't help me out much at all during the first dungeon. I usually got around 2hp/3sp whenever someone answered my SOS. Still, it can't hurt to have more Vita Gaffers on my friends list.

Do you need to carry an aeon persona around for the aeon link?

Also, i have to really praise the game for all the early social link appearances as you walk to school. Theyre pretty hilarious.

Kazzy

Very hard is turning out to be very very grindy. Takes a long time to get the levels you need. However, the changes to fusing and skill cards mean it's very easy to get ridiculously strong Persona for the MC.

Which is what I was expecting, because I didn't find P3P that difficult on the harder modes, but it just rendered all the other aspects amazingly grindy. This really pads the game out in terms of recalling Persona, as the price quickly escalates out of what is considered affordable. All of which make a max S-link playthrough quite arduous. So I don't think I will be repeating that here
when it does finally arrive :(

Trigger

Do you need to carry an aeon persona around for the aeon link?

Also, i have to really praise the game for all the early social link appearances as you walk to school. Theyre pretty hilarious.

No, you don't need to. The s. links level up a little faster when you have a matching persona of the same arcana. I've been doing just fine with the Aeon link without an Aeon persona.

Kazzy

I can't stop playing this game.

Please help Persona-Gaf. You guys are my only hope :/.

No, we're really not!

I think I just missed the delivery of my copy. Well, I say miss, it was more of a case of the postman deciding I wasn't in and simply leaving a delivery slip. Arrgghhh!

My playtime has gotten to the point where I had to force myself to play JSRHD just to stop myself from playing P4G so that I wasn't late in getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner.

It's also a great way of passing time in line for Black Friday...

Top Bottom