• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

I can't unhear Quark when Chie talks. This is the worst.

Same here. She fluctuates between tolerable and awful. Overall, her voice doesn't fit the character in my opinion though, and she sounds weird to have such a cartoonish voice when everyone else in the game sounds so serious and normal.

English Yosuke is the best though. He gets it dead on.

SoulUnison

Banned
Is there any way to disable the auto-dimming of the screen?
It kicks in 2 or 3 times a cutscene unless I tap a shoulder button or rub a screen edge like it's a nervous tic.

Same here. She fluctuates between tolerable and awful. Overall, her voice doesn't fit the character in my opinion though, and she sounds weird to have such a cartoonish voice when everyone else in the game sounds so serious and normal.

I have to hit X after quickly reading her text so I don't hear too much of it. It's that bad. Ugh.

Also, why the hell doesn't this let me use a quick tap of the touch screen to progress the novel sections? Such an obvious feature, Atlus!

Dantis

Is there any way to disable the auto-dimming of the screen?
It kicks in 2 or 3 times a cutscene unless I tap a shoulder button or rub a screen edge like it's a nervous tic.

Well, you can move an analogue stick to get rid of it, I think.

But the 'proper' way is to increase the sleep timer in the Vita's settings.

I have to hit X after quickly reading her text so I don't hear too much of it. It's that bad. Ugh.

Also, why the hell doesn't this let me use a quick tap of the touch screen to progress the novel sections? Such an obvious feature, Atlus!

Yep, I've only done half an hour of the English version before I turned it off, but after the opening scene, I've been skipping most of Chie's lines.

What did they do with the Persona models in this game? They look really good. It's like, I don't how to describe it, they seem more translucent when summoning and smoother.

Dantis

What did they do with the Persona models in this game? They look really good. It's like, I don't how to describe it, they seem more translucent when summoning and smoother.

Added a Fresnel effect.

EDIT: Just to expand on that, it's basically an indirect light-reflection. You see it games like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land a lot.

Trigger

How do I start the Emperor social link?
I swore I had to speak to a girl at the school first, but no one is mentioning Kanji.

So I'm not the only one. Once or twice I've caught myself tapping the screen by habit.

Omikaru

No, we're really not!

I think I just missed the delivery of my copy. Well, I say miss, it was more of a case of the postman deciding I wasn't in and simply leaving a delivery slip. Arrgghhh!

I fucking hate it when he does that.

Alas, postie popped by today but no Persona 4 Golden. Day ruined.

P90

Yup. Yosuke's VA is awesome. I think Dojima's VA is quite good also.

My heart goes out to all the NeoGAFfers that are having shipping issues. :(

Dantis

Yup. Yosuke's VA is awesome. I think Dojima's VA is quite good also.

From the original cast, the only VA I didn't like was Yukiko. Everyone else was perfect. In Golden I can add Chie onto that list, but that's still a pretty good good-to-bad ratio.

P90

From the original cast, the only VA I didn't like was Yukiko. Everyone else was perfect. In Golden I can add Chie onto that list, but that's still a pretty good good-to-bad ratio.

You no like &#12422;&#12365;&#12371;? <cries inside> j/k To each his own.

I am a pretty impressed with Atlus' VA choices, at least to my ears.

Where the hell do I find the fishing hook at?

Me too. I wish the SOS would help with story/quest info.

Venfayth

Where the hell do I find the fishing hook at?

Talk to the first kid at the Shrine during the day, he'll tell you he wants something to drink or eat. Get that item (steak from the steak place next to Aiya in north shopping area, or drinks from the vendng machines) and bring it to him. He'll give you a ladybug or two for it.

At night, go to the Shiroku Pub. Feed her fish the ladybug and he'll cough up the fishhook and you'll also get some bread crumbs. Bread crumbs and ladybugs are both different kinds of bait which you can use while fishing, you can trade one ladybug for some bread crumbs once a night here.

Golbez

Added a Fresnel effect.

EDIT: Just to expand on that, it's basically an indirect light-reflection. You see it games like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land a lot.
JzrSfl.jpg

So shiny... he does look like he'd fit right in with Mario Galaxy.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Icons over quest people's heads is my favorite stealth change.

That + picking spells in fusions.

Thank you based persona.

One thing driving me nuts is camera.

I like a normal human being want the right trigger AND pushing right on the analog stick to move the camera to the right. Yet one will always go right the other left.

Why in the hell would you ever not have those both go right?

Himself

So is this considered the definitive version or should I get the PS2 version? I preferred P3FES w/the cut scenes and voices over P3P.

Tattooth

I like a normal human being want the right trigger AND pushing right on the analog stick to move the camera to the right. Yet one will always go right the other left.

Why in the hell would you ever not have those both go right?

Invert the camera, that should fix it.

Trigger

So is this considered the definitive version or should I get the PS2 version? I preferred P3FES w/the cut scenes and voices over P3P.

This is the best version of the game to get. Many good fixes and a chunk of content you won't get in the PS2 version. It's got the scenes and more.

Golbez

Icons over quest people's heads is my favorite stealth change.

That + picking spells in fusions.

Thank you based persona.
My favorite minor change I just happened to notice... you can change the order of your Persona's skills. That should put back a little bit of the time wasted I lost from being able to choose skills now.

Venfayth

BLARGH. Fuck Last Resort. What a cheap dirty move.

Bless Atlus for allowing me to start from the beginning of a floor.

Loooooool. Last Resort still one shots everyone on my team. Gotta prepare for those guys. Nice thing is they're courteous enough to just Stand By if you don't do anything to them.

Trigger

With this new skill card system I haven't had to use any other persona except Izanagi. Spiffy.

Loooooool. Last Resort still one shots everyone on my team. Gotta prepare for those guys. Nice thing is they're courteous enough to just Stand By if you don't do anything to them.

Yeah, I'm playing on hard so every fight with them in a mixed group is a chore.

It's funny how so many people see the restart at battle/floor as a boon yet more hardcore Megaten fans (and myself) see it as further casualisation and dumbing down, it's part of the reason I picked very hard.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
With this new skill card system I haven't had to use any other persona except Izanagi. Spiffy.

Yeah, I'm playing on hard so every fight with them in a mixed group is a chore.

You're not experiencing all the awesome persona in the game though!

I had to get up at 6:30am to go to work this morning. I played Persona 4 until 3. Sigh. This effing game.

P90

It's funny how so many people see the restart at battle/floor as a boon yet more hardcore Megaten fans (and myself) see it as further casualisation and dumbing down, it's part of the reason I picked very hard.

I see yor point. I'm going to limit myself on using the feature.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chie's voice is kinda off-putting though. It's not terribad but I don't really like it.

DJ_Lae

Haven't played much yet but I'm enjoying it (unsurprisingly, I loved my first playthrough back when the original came out).

Chie's voice is weirding me out, though. She sounds a little too peppy, a little too shrieky. It's not bad, but it's also not Chie. And I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, it's not awful.

I do appreciate that the game itself runs at the Vita's native resolution, menus and character portraits are nice and sharp. I can't tell if the 3D stuff is upscaled, though, or if it's just got a bunch of filters over it that makes it looks a bit muddy.

Haven't played much yet but I'm enjoying it (unsurprisingly, I loved my first playthrough back when the original came out).

Chie's voice is weirding me out, though. She sounds a little too peppy, a little too shrieky. It's not bad, but it's also not Chie. And I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, it's not awful.

I do appreciate that the game itself runs at the Vita's native resolution, menus and character portraits are nice and sharp. I can't tell if the 3D stuff is upscaled, though, or if it's just got a bunch of filters over it that makes it looks a bit muddy.

It is funny that so many people these days say the new voice is not at all Chie, which was the biggest complaint the old one got at the one of it's reveal and the launch of the game, along with sounding too old. The new vo sounds far more like her JP voice. just goes to show how many people can get attached to a character it seems.

Dantis

It is funny that so many people these days say the new voice is not at all Chir, which was the biggest complaint the old one got at the one of it's reveal and the launch of the game. The new vo sounds far more like her JP voice. just goes to show how many people can get attached to a character it seems.

It really doesn't.

Agree with the guy above.

Playing this on very hard is interesting, completely different than my experience with finishing P4 Vanilla on Normal.

UberTag

With all the prolific hate for Erin Fitzgerald's Chie delivery, any thoughts on who would have done a better job considering that Tracey Rooney was unavailable?

My suggestion... Kari Wahlgren.
Tara Strong would have been fun, too... but I assume she would have been too expensive.

With all the prolific hate for Erin Fitzgerald's Chie delivery, any thoughts on who would have done a better job considering that Tracey Rooney was unavailable?

My suggestion... Kari Wahlgren.
Tara Strong would have been fun, too... but I assume she would have been too expensive.

I think the current actress would have been perfectly fine if they could have reigned in all the fluctuation her voice has at times. I assume since they were only redoing two voices they didn't spend as much time getting it right as they normally would.

I don't really have any preference though as the only thing I really look for in a VA is that it not be annoying enough to break my immersion in a scene which new chie isn't bad enough to do that for me.

Top Bottom