• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

UberTag

I think the current actress would have been perfectly fine if they could have reigned in all the fluctuation her voice has at times. I assume since they were only redoing two voices they didn't spend as much time getting it right as they normally would.
Even though they only recast two roles for the entirety of the game, they still had to bring back the original cast to record dialogue for the new content along with Arena. No reason for them to cut corners on voice direction.

Incidentally, I'm loving Karen Strassman's Nanako in this game.
Then again, I've been a fan of hers for a long-time and like her in pretty much everything (most recently, her role as Phi in Virtue's Last Reward).
This is somewhat of a unique delivery in her bag of tricks she hasn't used much... even compared with other upper-register kid characters she's done.

Even though they only recast two roles for the entirety of the game, they still had to bring back the original cast to record dialogue for the new content along with Arena. No reason for them to cut corners on voice direction.

Incidentally, I'm loving Karen Strassman's Nanako in this game.
Then again, I've been a fan of hers for a long-time and like her in pretty much everything (most recently, her role as Phi in Virtue's Last Reward).
This is somewhat of a unique delivery in her bag of tricks she hasn't used much... even compared with other upper-register kid characters she's done.

She got the shy reserved part down really well, there are times where something sounds off about her voice for me though. They don't come around super often but I notice there are lines that sound softer and more hollow like they were recorded in a different type of studio or something. I have also noticed it with other characters though so its not really something wrong with what she did I don't think.

That would be my only real critique or whatever with her performance though and its certainly not a big issue.

I only ever played the first few hours on PS2, but I do remember especially enjoying Chie's VA, so I was wondering why I was vaguely annoyed by her this time around. That explains it. Most lame.

Dantis

Hm.

I guess I've reached the point where I've played through too much P4. I just can't be bothered with the US one. I guess I'll come back to it once I've played through some other stuff.

Shame. :(

qcf x2

I've had the game for 3 days, but wanted to finish Zero Escape first. With that out of the way, I loaded up P4G yesterday and whoa. The presentation is so fuckin slick. I watched the intro a good five times. Today I finally decided to start the game. Nanako is such a cute kid. Her voice acting is superb so far.

On that note, though: I wish there was an option for the Japanese voices. Just would be nice to have.

2TblE.jpg

kEdrf.jpg

TDiDf.jpg
Still makes me chuckle.

Also,

Take that Chie lovers.

Plasma

Banned
I don't mind Teddy's or Chie's new voice actors but it is a little odd when Chie talks sometimes and you expect to hear the other voice actor.

I'm enjoying what I've played so far, I've only finished the first dungeon and I like the new stuff they've added in even if there isn't too much of it at the moment.

I think it's a shame they didn't give you the option to play through as a female protagonist though, I felt like I was done with Persona 3 after FES but that option in P3P gave me another excuse to go through the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fox, why you overcharging me, man?

What the fuck did I do to you?

Same here. She fluctuates between tolerable and awful. Overall, her voice doesn't fit the character in my opinion though, and she sounds weird to have such a cartoonish voice when everyone else in the game sounds so serious and normal.

English Yosuke is the best though. He gets it dead on.
I hate to drudge up this old argument, but after playing for a while... yeah... I think the thing I really liked about Persona 4's English dub was that it didn't sound like an anime dub from the early 2000s / late 1990s and everyone sounded like they were down-to-earth. I fucking loved the English dub in the original; even if some of the lines from the original Chie voice actress were weird, she ended up growing into the voice after a while and the performance ended up being good by the end.

Even though I like Showtaro Morikubo in general, I have to agree that Lowenthal totally voiced Yosuke better. Same goes for Kanji--like Tomokazu Seki, but Troy Baker gave that character life. It's just too bad I'm not getting Tomokazu Sugita in this. (LOL at Jude Mathis's voice actor voicing Saki's younger brother in the JP version. Maybe I should get the JP version for shits and giggles one day.)

Chie's new voice embodies a lot of the stuff I don't like about some English dubs sometimes (when shouting). Really hyperactive, loud, shrieky, and some of the delivery ain't that great (particularly when we get into higher ranges). It's pretty different from the more down-to-Earth feel of the original English voice actress. I couldn't get a good grasp on it when I played P4A even after playing all the routes and the only thing I didn't like then was the voice colour, but now I know I don't like some of the delivery (she is the worst when she shouts or yells because it generally sounds like her velum's moving and we get into a semi-nasal cavity thing, and that's not very cool), and I don't like the overall tone and voice colour at all. But I don't think she's that awful, just... some of her delivery is really irritating.

Shame.

pirata

Man, I've been really jonesing for some more Persona lately, but I'm not going to get a Vita just to play Golden. Man, I hope P5 comes out next year. It's crazy to think that it's already been four years since P4 came out.

Dantis

That is a serious shame man. :(

Indeed. I'm sure it'll grab me at some point, but I was hoping I could just jump straight in. It's too familiar for that though. And the first piece of new content I can remember is in like June or something.

Man, I've been really jonesing for some more Persona lately, but I'm not going to get a Vita just to play Golden. Man, I hope P5 comes out next year. It's crazy to think that it's already been four years since P4 came out.

I really think it will, in Japan at least.

Hashino and co. haven't done anything since Catherine, which was nearly a year and a half ago.

Kazzy

You are all idiots, how many pictures do we need of the same boxed game? Absolutely pathetic.

I'm not at all bitter!

Trigger

...Sweep bonus?

Collect all cards during the shuffle time and you get a bonus that ensures the next battle ends with shuffle time and each card will be 2+. It's completely broken since you can chain battles with the effect, but also illogical since a player is naturally inclined to just pick a good card vs getting them all.

Sophia

That's because it's actually weak against something now and its subordinates don't do much of value anymore.

WTF is wrong with the teachers at this school.

At least Morooka busts out some Life Lessons every now and then.

When has there ever been a teacher in the Persona series who hasn't been crazy? :p

That's because it's actually weak against something now and its subordinates don't do much of value anymore.

True. Still, I actually struggled against shadow boss 1 and 2, but even though I almost died on 3, I didn't feel like it was that big of a deal.

None of them has a good teacher like Saeko for the Persona 1 and 2 crew, for shame:
2215182-saeko_takami_p2.jpg

Morooka might be Hanya's long lost son or somethin though:

Hanya.jpg

Sophia: see the woman above...though there is the issue of one of the routes in Persona 1, sooooooooo....

LuchaShaq

Banned
With all the prolific hate for Erin Fitzgerald's Chie delivery, any thoughts on who would have done a better job considering that Tracey Rooney was unavailable?

My suggestion... Kari Wahlgren.
Tara Strong would have been fun, too... but I assume she would have been too expensive.

Anyone who wouldn't have been so high pitched that they literally hurt my ears.

Honestly I would have been happier using the original VO and then not having VO for her new lines, even a random dude off the street reading them monotone would have been preferable to the current setup.

Sophia

Sophia: see the woman above...though there is the issue of one of the routes in Persona 1, sooooooooo....

She got possessed by a malevolent spirit inside of a mask that nearly brought about the end of the world AND at least half of her students have gone on to try to save the world. She hardly qualifies for sane. Sanest, perhaps. >_>

Omg Nanako
making flowers for Mothers Day but not having a Mom. I feel so bad right now.

I was kinda hoping we'd see what Chisato looks like in Golden/the Animation. So sad :(

Persona86

Banned

Damn teacher life is hard for the mentally unstable.

Controlling teachers in the next Persona actually wouldn't be so bad.

Astra

Bought the Assassins Creed Vita bundle on Amazon for $179 for my sister as a Christmas present, and will grab P4 as well for her. Best big bro ever.

still got my ass kicked against yukiko.

I guess my gaming skills haven't gotten better than 4 years ago ;_;

I died once to her, only to see what kind of stuff she was pulling, then the 2nd time it was rather non threatenin. To be fair, the shadow character boss before it kicked my ass.

Cloudy

Banned
Game looks much better on vita than the ps2 version on an hdtv. Hope we see more ps2 rpg remakes. Xenosaga collection, anyone? :D

I died once to her, only to see what kind of stuff she was pulling, then the 2nd time it was rather non threatenin. To be fair, the shadow character boss before it kicked my ass.
her desperate move at the end kill yosuke instantly ;(

and no warning flame move had my hero at single digit health.

And pots ain't cheap early game T_T

Beat her teh 2nd time.

always use debuffs.

Alfredo

I bought the Vita bundle on Amazon, and went out to get P4G today. I opened the case and was kinda depressed.

ki4fs.png

Do Vita games not come with a manual or anything like that?

Top Bottom