• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Uthred

Finally have time to start playing. Just wanted to double check, if you play on anything other than Very Hard for your first playthrough you have to start from scratch if you want to play on Very Hard for New Game+ or does the usual stuff e.g. compendium carry over?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally have time to start playing. Just wanted to double check, if you play on anything other than Very Hard for your first playthrough you have to start from scratch if you want to play on Very Hard for New Game+ or does the usual stuff e.g. compendium carry over?

Very Hard is nothing carries over. No matter if you complete it on any difficulty level.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Igor's making me go broke.

What the hell does he need all that cash for?! "Give me $72 USD for resurrecting your Persona because I need the money for... stuff!" He probably used all the cash from Persona 3 to get out of the elevator he was in and he purchased the limo with it.

Uthred

What the hell does he need all that cash for?! "Give me $72 USD for resurrecting your Persona because I need the money for... stuff!" He probably used all the cash from Persona 3 to get out of the elevator he was in and he purchased the limo with it.

It's all for corrective nasal surgery

Trigger

Hookers and blow.

Duffyside

Banned
You never noticed them in the trailers?

I must have forgotten, or possibly never seen them. I'm not much one for game trailers.

Next game he'll be in his car-elevator with Mitt Romney.

Romney/Igor 2016

Man this game is so beautiful on the vita, I love this screen.

Sucks about the manuals though, it's not even just the vita a lot of console games are coming with paper thin manuals with little to no details.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
YES I HAVE KAIWAN VICTORY CRY

SCREW YOU RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR! lol

(It took me two hours, but at least I got most of the Repels along the way).

zulux21

Man this game is so beautiful on the vita, I love this screen.

Sucks about the manuals though, it's not even just the vita a lot of console games are coming with paper thin manuals with little to no details.

from what I have heard sony mandated that all vita games have to have an in game manual, thus the lack of paper ones.

cjkeats

To pay for the installation of "electic loutwits" in the limo.

Astra

So, Erin-Chie shows she can be perfectly acceptable when she talks like a normal human being, and doesn't over emphasise all of her lines. Makes it all the more irritating the rest of the time when she grates on the ears. So most assuredly an issue with voice direction. She was perfectly fine as Quark.
Though she was also rather annoying in Xeno 3 as Mai Magus. Maybe she is terrible as teenage girls.

Sophia

So, Erin-Chie shows she can be perfectly acceptable when she talks like a normal human being, and doesn't over emphasise all of her lines. Makes it all the more irritating the rest of the time when she grates on the ears. So most assuredly an issue with voice direction. She was perfectly fine as Quark.
Though she was also rather annoying in Xeno 3 as Mai Magus. Maybe she is terrible as teenage girls.

She was pretty good as Chie in Persona 4 Arena. I don't know what's up with the insane over emphasising lines and getting all squeaky. :\

Everytime I hear that I want to strangle that kid, japanese or english dub, it doesn't matter. >:/

You.... You monst-...

I'm a monster :(

... yes, you are. :|

Astra

She was pretty good as Chie in Persona 4 Arena. I don't know what's up with the insane over emphasising lines and getting all squeaky. :

Yeah, and actually sounded pretty good in the anime! Took some getting used to on my part, likely due to being so used to her original voice.

I'm very close to buying this (as I just bought the AC bundle), and I'm wondering how essential learning the ins and outs of Persona fusion is. I played this game for around 20 hours or so on the PS2 before I felt pretty overwhelmed, but I'm dying to try again. As someone who is generally "bad" at figuring out JRPG systems on my own, will I have trouble here?

Trigger

I'm very close to buying this (as I just bought the AC bundle), and I'm wondering how essential learning the ins and outs of Persona fusion is. I played this game for around 20 hours or so on the PS2 before I felt pretty overwhelmed, but I'm dying to try again. As someone who is generally "bad" at figuring out JRPG systems on my own, will I have trouble here?

It's far simpler in Golden. You can choose which skills are inherited, there's a mechanic for buying skills from the persona you've made, and you can also see what fusions other players have made. I haven't tried the last feature, but fusions are painless now.

EDIT- Nevermind on that last part. I think I misread the description for the search function, lol.

Yeah, and actually sounded pretty good in the anime! Took some getting used to on my part, likely due to being so used to her original voice.

At this point the voice just bothers me because it bothers me. I think its her lisp. Her Quark voice didn't have that so much (or maybe I didn't notice since he was supposed to be a kid), so I'm not sure where it came from. Her Midori in Devil Survivor was even worse though. She is perfect when she has no emotion, though!

Haven't played Arena yet, was waiting to beat Golden first, don't really care too much about fighters so I won't be devastated that the online community doesn't exist. I have only seen the first episode in English, and didn't think anything about it, so I will maybe compare. Not going to buy it for its absurd price for half a season with English only, though. Even though I would watch it in English anyways.

I don't find it that difficult. I never worried about what personas I had, or what stats. You really just need to balance so you can have balance in attack types and address weaknesses. Also avoid batshit crazy combinations where you are going to be weak against any enemy type that you will be effective against.

The persona management is probably my least favorite part of the game. Although I do enjoy the designs when you get a new one. But I have played a fair amount of Megami Tensei, so I've seen most of them already.

It's far simpler in Golden. You can choose which skills are inherited, there's a mechanic for buying skills from the persona you've made, and you can also see what fusions other players have made. I haven't tried the last feature, but fusions are painless now.

EDIT- Nevermind on that last part. I think I misread the description for the search function, lol.

I literally just got to this point. My understanding is Igor basically just sets out everything you can possibly create so you can avoid trial and error. Then the voice function is just for people commenting on how good the Persona is. I assume because the fusions are so much easier that you don't need to trial and error the order you pick personas in, then unselect and reselect if you don't get the right skills. That was the worst part about fusing, honestly.

Golbez

I read
Maries poem and now she keeps calling me "YousuckIhateyouloser"
Please forgive me, Marie!
Did anyone get a screencap of that? I was slightly distracted when I did that part and can barely remember it. It wasn't something you could text recall either.

Kusagari

I thought Chie's voice was fine in Arena, but it's really annoying me in this game.

I don't know if the voice actress is just worse in this or what.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I dated Chie in the PS2 version
tumblr_m6ex2t2pwg1r69upco1_500.gif

You're next this time, Yukiko.

kewlmyc

I dated Chie in the PS2 version
tumblr_m6ex2t2pwg1r69upco1_500.gif

You're next this time, Yukiko.

You're doing it wrong. Date everyone.

Also, on hard mode, a lot of spells I found useless in the first game are saving my ass in this one, especially against the enemies with no weaknesses. Thank you Makajam.

kewlmyc

Have fun on Valentines day.

Does something actually happen if you date all the girls? Awesome, now I have even more of a reason to date everyone. The sunday dates when some of the girls caught you handing out with other girls were some of the funnier scenes in the original.

SoulUnison

Banned
I just realize you can drag and move the Vox Populai button, which is great. Extreme upper-left isn't a comfortable place to hit.

It's a shame you can't move the SOS button the same way, though.

kewlmyc

I just realize you can drag and move the Vox Populai button, which is great. Extreme upper-left isn't a comfortable place to hit.

It's a shame you can't move the SOS button the same way, though.

Nice find. Wait, how? It won't work for me.

Also, damn those gold shadows, I don't remember them being this impervious in P3.

Trigger

I literally just got to this point. My understanding is Igor basically just sets out everything you can possibly create so you can avoid trial and error. Then the voice function is just for people commenting on how good the Persona is. I assume because the fusions are so much easier that you don't need to trial and error the order you pick personas in, then unselect and reselect if you don't get the right skills. That was the worst part about fusing, honestly.

Yeah, the wording was a little confusing. Now that I've unlocked the cafe I'll be experimenting a little more with that honestly.

Alex

The new Chie voice fits a whole lot better, in my opinion. The old one always seemed a bit dull and flat for the personality.

The new Chie voice fits a whole lot better, in my opinion. The old one always seemed a bit dull and flat for the personality.

Avatar quote. That is my expression while I read that.

edit: Lol. No, He dishonors that Ron Swanson gif!

Also, Kusagari, there is the potential that your post could spoil the most telegraphed plot twist of the game.

edit: I will leave this line to confuse the hell out of everyone!

kewlmyc

Also, Kusagari, there is the potential that your post could spoil the most telegraphed plot twist of the game.

What are you talking about? The hero is bisexual.

The plot twist is pretty damn obvious

Kusagari

Fuck, I forgot. I edited it out!

Even though it is incredibly obvious, especially with the American voice.

SoulUnison

Banned
So SOS is kind of useless for the amount of healing you get, or maybe I've just never had a decent number of people answer my call?

So far my favorite part of it is just getting to see what other's named their Protagonist - and how laughably bad some people's PSN IDs are.

I wish your custom rescue message was what showed up when you help people out, instead of having to go to the Velvet Room and dig through a few menus to see the messages set by people that helped you out.

kewlmyc

So SOS is kind of useless for the amount of healing you get, or maybe I've just never had a decent number of people answer my call?

So far my favorite part of it is just getting to see what other's named their Protagonist - and how laughably bad some people's PSN IDs are.

I wish your custom rescue message was what showed up when you help people out, instead of having to go to the Velvet Room and dig through a few menus to see the messages set by people that helped you out.

HP wise, yes. But if you do it after every battle, the SP benefits start adding up and it makes one day run through of dungeons easier.

Top Bottom