• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

I hate the way the SOS message creation is set-up. I feel like I'm sending out messages in broken English. Why can't I just manually do it like when I'm naming the protagonist?

Talk to the first kid at the Shrine during the day, he'll tell you he wants something to drink or eat. Get that item (steak from the steak place next to Aiya in north shopping area, or drinks from the vendng machines) and bring it to him. He'll give you a ladybug or two for it.

At night, go to the Shiroku Pub. Feed her fish the ladybug and he'll cough up the fishhook and you'll also get some bread crumbs. Bread crumbs and ladybugs are both different kinds of bait which you can use while fishing, you can trade one ladybug for some bread crumbs once a night here.

Every time I go to the shiroku pub she just waves me off because I don't have gems. How do I feed the ladybug to her frog?

Venfayth

I hate the way the SOS message creation is set-up. I feel like I'm sending out messages in broken English. Why can't I just manually do it like when I'm naming the protagonist?

I don't think anyone actually sees those messages unless they check your profile or something.

Mine is something like:

Hee-Ho that Meat Dimension
Give Me that Meat Dimension

but I'm pretty sure people still just see

"I'm rooting for you!" or whatever.

Every time I go to the shiroku pub she just waves me off because I don't have gems. How do I feed the ladybug to her frog?

Hum, I don't know. I don't think I had that problem. You may need to get some gems from the first dungeon or something then.

Ok, weird question. I'm about 1/2-3/4 of the way through the PS2 version, but I just bought a Vita today. There's no question that I'm going to get this game at some point, since it was one of the driving forces behind my Vita pickup.

But...would I be better off finishing my PS2 run and picking this up later when I'm ready to replay it, or should I just drop my current game and immediately start over with the Vita version?

Astra

Ok, weird question. I'm about 1/2-3/4 of the way through the PS2 version, but I just bought a Vita today. There's no question that I'm going to get this game at some point, since it was one of the driving forces behind my Vita pickup.

But...would I be better off finishing my PS2 run and picking this up later when I'm ready to replay it, or should I just drop my current game and immediately start over with the Vita version?

Finish your PS2 run, and enjoy the original in its entirety. Then you can replay with the Vita version, and enjoy the extras as something fresh.

bigkrev

Uhhh.... so what happens if you open a chest when you get a warning that there is something bad in it? I figured that at level 25 I wasn't ready for whatever it is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uhhh.... so what happens if you open a chest when you get a warning that there is something bad in it? I figured that at level 25 I wasn't ready for whatever it is.
Don't open it. Move on.

You don't want to fight that enemy yet.

I guess no one can answer my question about very hard and new game+, dunno if I should should continue or not.
I thought that was only for P3P. I don't see any warnings about it on the JP wiki, but if you're wary...

I'll stick to my guns. I'm too far in now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Just started playing today and hit
Yukiko's Castle
and consequently encountered
the upgraded shuffle time
for the first time. So, apart from
it just being a smorgasbord of gimmes now
, is
arcana chance (or, rather, the effects that you got from the cards) rolled into this or is it gone completely
?

I only ask because I like one-daying dungeons and if
I can't get my HP/SP restores
I guess that's going to make me change tactics.

Astra

Ok, that's what I was originally planning. Wasn't planning on getting a Vita this early, but hard to say no to these sales.

Definitely. Those sales are a little painful, since I bought the White Vita bundle at release. Since the sales are in the US, I can't price match and get refunded the difference. =(
Ah well, I picked up another white vita as a Christmas present. Great sale at $179!

Trigger

Just started playing today and hit
Yukiko's Castle
and consequently encountered
the upgraded shuffle time
for the first time. So, apart from
it just being a smorgasbord of gimmes now
, is
arcana chance (or, rather, the effects that you got from the cards) rolled into this or is it gone completely
?

I only ask because I like one-daying dungeons and if
I can't get my HP/SP restores
I guess that's going to make me change tactics.

One daying dungeons isn't possible unless you're playing on easy or really attached to grinding. It's just too much of a chore and there's no way to get more items.

Astra

One daying dungeons isn't possible unless you're playing on easy or really attached to grinding. It's just too much of a chore and there's no way to get more items.

Such grinding definitely saps all the fun from the game for me. I was thinking I wanted to be as efficient as possible with my social links and stat increases, but as I started playing, I said screw it. I'm just going to play without any real direction, and simply enjoy my time with it.
It will be a lot easier to do a max social link run on my second run, with all my stats (charisma, knowledge etc) carrying over, and the Persona compendium handy for easily summoning compatible persona.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

It's more of a self-imposed challenge thing for me than Social Link efficiency. So, just not possible at all in P4G? I guess I'll know the first time that Empress/Judgment/Death shows up in shuffle time.

My brother came across an interesting glitch. After saving Yukiko, he took Chie into the castle alone to train. He found Yosuke...with the fox. The fox still offers his services but isn't it a bit early to meet it?

Trigger

It's more of a self-imposed challenge thing for me than Social Link efficiency. So, just not possible at all in P4G? I guess I'll know the first time that Empress/Judgment/Death shows up in shuffle time.

Go for normal or easy if that's really what you want. I'm doing hard and there's just no way. I was tapped empty on the third and fourth bosses from grinding. Enemies hit hard too so there's always the fustration of being hit with Last Resort or a nasty ma-level spell.

Many a Megaten fan would disagree with you.

Those people are far more patient/crazy than me.

Go for normal or easy if that's really what you want. I'm doing hard and there's just no way. I was tapped empty on the third and fourth bosses from grinding. Enemies hit hard too so there's always the fustration of being hit with Last Resort or a nasty ma-level spell.

Those people are far more patient/crazy than me.

To be fair, you are absolutely right there. also P4G does seem weirdly balanced.

30712304.jpg

Aeana

I think the new Chie is pretty good. I might prefer her over the old one.
The new Teddie lacks the same punch as the old one, though.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Oh my god. Just saw the Okina/Scooter scene and I literally burst out laughing. It was pure gold; the music, the atmosphere, everything. This effing game.

Eusis

I bought the Vita bundle on Amazon, and went out to get P4G today. I opened the case and was kinda depressed.

ki4fs.png

Do Vita games not come with a manual or anything like that?
Yeah, in the US they're seemingly not allowed as Atlus tends to do great jobs there. Though if even in Japan it came with just a controls leaflet and an ad I'm guessing Atlus's higher ups probably wouldn't have cared anyway. It's a shame, I'd have liked some of these tiny sized manuals.

Chie's VA is awkward after VLR, but if it weren't for that and the original P4 I don't think I'd have a problem at all. Teddie's does a pretty good soundalike, except the performance is flatter than the original's. Kinda makes me want to try to get through the original version first instead, but if I'm only going to play it through once it's probably better just to do it here.

Artemisia

Banned
I think the new Chie is pretty good. I might prefer her over the old one.
The new Teddie lacks the same punch as the old one, though.

She sounds a bit whiny and high pitched? Sort of like a character in a children's cartoon.

But it certainly isn't awful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What level were you? I just entered Shadow 5's dungeon.
24. I feel like grinding to maybe 28 or 30 might've made me fare better. I had to use a lot of consumables, fuse Personas with buffs/debuffs, keep one Persona equipped that resisted lightning, tried to get a Persona that resisted physical attacks, etc. You can finish off Nice Guy pretty fast. It's just the Shadow and Tough Guy that you have to really worry about.

Fucking Yosuke kept letting him have an extra turn every now and then. I don't remember Fanatical Spark being that ridiculous in the PS2 version, but then again, it's been years... And the girls kept getting enraged, and the guys kept getting poisoned so I had to waste some sodas on them. Honestly, the hardest part of that fight is all the party spells uses. And the status effects.

But what's really helping me stay afloat is fusing a bunch of Personas with resistances. It's something I took for granted in lower difficulties. I used buffs and debuffs regularly but the innate resistances were things that I didn't put a lot of emphasis on.

Ah... I hope the next one isn't as tiring. (LOL, I remember the next one being looooong.)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30712304.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Even discounts ain't worth it, man. I'm not getting lots of money, I feel like I'm living paycheque-to-paycheque, and Fox is like the man from the credit card company calling me, asking me when I'm gonna pay my bill when I'm telling him that I don't get paid until next week.

Igor's like the guy who wants to take my thumbs whenever I want to ask him to give me my next Persona fix.

Cloudy

Banned
So I've been hearing the whining about Chie's VA for months now (I avoided spoilers). She sounds fine to me. Then again, I never really played the ps2 version lol

Cloudy

Banned
This is really different. I played the ps2 version for about 45 minutes but never got to the school. Seems like they put a lot of effort into this unlike P3P (Ugh)

Astra

She sounds a bit whiny and high pitched? Sort of like a character in a children's cartoon.

But it certainly isn't awful.

She hasn't been as bad during this current portion of the game I am at (
after rescuing Yukiko
). Now that she isn't overly emotional, and having her outbursts, she sounds somewhat decent. If she can stick to this sub-par standard for the remainder of the game, I can begrudgingly accept it.

Cloudy

Banned
Ok, this auto-dim feature is annoying since I changed the game settings to automatically proceed voiced sections. Anyway to disable it?

Eusis

Ok, this auto-dim feature is annoying since I changed the game settings to automatically proceed voiced sections. Anyway to disable it?
Keeping your fingers on the back might actually do the trick, but that may not apply here. Otherwise, well, don't think there's anything to do, the complete lack of options on power saving stuff is one of the bigger problems with the Vita currently as far as user options go.

Ken

Is there supposed to be a voiced sample that goes with the text message for when characters say stuff like "I found a treasure!" or "there's a shadow!" I ask because the BGM goes down for whenever those pop ups come up but no voices.

Top Bottom