• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait, so if you send out an SOS, does it make sense to wait a while in hopes someone responds?

-GJ-

Finally tracked down a copy yesterday! It was one that someone had pre-ordered, but not picked up yet, and I convinced the dude to just let me have it because "if they haven't come yet, they're probably not coming"! I haven't started it yet, but how long do I need to set aside for the opening of this game (ie. how long before I reach a save point?) I have about an hour or so here before I need to drive the g/f to work...is that enough time to get a little into this game?

You know you can just suspend the game and put your Vita on sleep mode for a while, right? It lasts about 2 weeks in sleepmode or something.

BearPawB

Banned
I can't play this game without worrying i am messing up at every turn

Should i have kept iznagi? I didn't know people did that?
There is so much of this game i haven't figured out. Like bug catching and fishing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wait, so if you send out an SOS, does it make sense to wait a while in hopes someone responds?

I wish I had a chance to mess with that system but I usually have no patience to do that, and 90% of the time when I'm playing I'm not somewhere with wifi.

Noi

Still waiting for my Solid Gold shipment from GS to get here...

ibwk81gxrf6kcl.gif

P90

There is so much of this game i haven't figured out. Like bug catching and fishing.

No worries. You can always get Izanagi and your other Personas back, up to your carrying limit. You have to buy them back from Margaret.

The game is meant to be played multiple times. P4 has alot of "real life" designed into the game--people to see, places to go, things to do, and not enough time.

That's me! I see no reason not to just hit SOS after every battle. Why not?
Cool. I'm thewrenchninja. Totally agree, I like to think I am helping people out and it's always nice to see that "you are not alone" phrase show up with the HP/SP recovery at the start of a battle. Really like this mechanic.

I have only had about an hour to spend on the game so far thanks to the holiday. Does SOS only work with people on your friends list? If so, I'm going to be adding everyone in the spreadsheet when I get home...

On that note, add me! I'm youngadultnovel on PSN.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have only had about an hour to spend on the game so far thanks to the holiday. Does SOS only work with people on your friends list? If so, I'm going to be adding everyone in the spreadsheet when I get home...

On that note, add me! I'm youngadultnovel on PSN.

No, it works for any random players.

This could be a balanced mechanic, really. The boost could be bigger and you should get no EXP for being helped through a battle (or half EXP or something). Otherwise I will just hit this button nonstop!

Just play at your own pace. Just do what you think is right.

Well in vanilla P4, Izanagi was kind of useless after you found stronger Persona. He didn't have many attacks and his stat gains weren't that great.

Now with Golden, you can get skill cards which teach Personas new moves as well as the arcana cards which have different effects like boosting stats. So now a weak Persona like Izanagi can actually continue to be useful. He's like my fastest, toughest and luckiest Persona. Just taught him Mazio for the multi-elec damage. I just like using him since he's the Protagonist's main Persona.

Venfayth

I looked at my log in the Velvet Room and one of the guys had requested help something like 235 times.

The request log shows how many you've answered, not how many times you've asked!

I'm in the third dungeon now on very-hard, and I've responded to ~600 requests :p

Also, HUGE tip for anyone playing on the higher difficulties where it's nearly impossible to kill multiple packs of Wealth Hands:

Stock up on Ice Cube (or any of the elemental 50 damage items) from the Shiroku store. Although wealth hands resist magical damage, the damage caused by the elemental 50 damage items is NOT mitigated. I bought like 30 of them, and they pay for themselves, not to mention the huge amount of EXP you get from the hands.

-GJ-

Mine drains like crazy in sleep mode.

I'd probably go down 1/4 every day if I just left it in Sleep mode. :(

I can literally put it in sleep mode and pick it up almost 2 weeks later. But I usually close my games when I put it in sleep mode, so maybe that's why. Still doesn't really matter, 'cause he can just suspend the game, put it in sleep mode and pick it up a couple hours later without a problem.

Venfayth

If you hit the power button to sleep while you're in a game, the battery will still drain pretty fast. If you hit the Home button to return to the vita dashboard, THEN hit the power button, the sleep will last significantly longer. I swear I've left it alone for a month and come back to a half charged battery.

I've also been using this Nyko Power Grip - it makes holding it a lot more comfortable and it has a huge battery in addition to the Vita's, so if it's fully charged (which takes a day or something :lol) I can play for 12 hours straight without having to charge it.

And on a sad note, that Power Grip is not compatible with the armor you get from the Solid Gold edition :(

It's easily my favourite JRPG combat. Feels so slick and modern, and I really like the little touches like the party cheering each other on when they do well.
The cheering is probably my favourite part. Really makes battles feel more active than they are. I don't think I'd like the system as much without it.

Dantis

The cheering is probably my favourite part. Really makes battles feel more active than they are. I don't think I'd like the system as much without it.

Seriously.

Other RPGs need to take note of stuff like that. P3 and P4 do a better job of creating a sense that the characters are actually a group of friends than pretty much anything else out there.

Seriously.

Other RPGs need to take note of stuff like that. P3 and P4 do a better job of creating a sense that the characters are actually a group of friends than pretty much anything else out there.

I think that's one of the reasons why the games work so well. So much of the narrative is used to develop the characters. P3/4 prove that you don't need to have a sweeping and epic story to tell a great tale.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Seriously.

I barely remember the specifics since I played it in a depression fueled haze of alcoholism and the flu but Tales of Vesperia gave me a slightly similar feeling about the group giving a shit about eachother in battle as well. Not just character X and mage Y etc.

Noi

P3 = a group of co workers
P4 = a group of friends

The P3 cast DO become friends by the end. It's just the difference between suddenly being forced to work together rather than how they were already classmates to begin with and had to choice to join in and help in P4.

Varna

So how exactly do you go about doing dungeons in one day on hard mode? It took me three days to do the first one.

I'm finding it pretty easy to do on very hard actually.

The key to conserving SP was really going for those status effects that deny your opponent a turn. Dizzy, confused and if you have nothing else, fear (though this one makes them run too...). I rarely use the all-out-attack since it mostly fails to kill enemies at this point. So I just attack them again instead to give me another round. The SOS function is kind of broken too... when ever you seem to get a lot of request use yours and you usually receive a good number of help.

The price increases are just crazy on very hard. Been playing for 14 hours and I still can't afford all the items up sale from just the first dungeon... armor is costing 14,000 already and quiet a big grinding trip only got me 30,000. :/

That extra boss is insane. Rampage is pretty much instant death to everyone except the MC if I have physical resist.

LuchaShaq

Banned
P3 = a group of co workers
P4 = a group of friends

Nailed it!

The one thing I did like about p3p was that for some reason the female protag seemed closer to everyone than the male protag (besides aiges obviously).

I like ahikiko/mitsuru more than Yosuke/Yukiko on a character basis but ended up caring about them more at the end of p4 than the end of p3 because they seemed to actually care about the P4 MC.

Little things such as picking each other Off the ground, removing status effects from each other in hilariously blunt ways, the new team up attacks, and taking hits for each other certainly add to this.

Dantis

Little things such as picking each other Off the ground, removing status effects from each other in hilariously blunt ways, the new team up attacks, and taking hits for each other certainly add to this.

Taking hits for each other is one of the coolest things in the game.

MAJOR SPOILER:
Particularly in the final battle. What a fucking amazing finish.

P3 was different because it sort of had cliques. You got mc, Yukari, Junpei and later Fuuka all being friends. Then Mitsuru, Akihiko and Shinjiro. Aigis has her crazed robotic obsession for Mc. Ken likes no one, and finally the real badass who loves everyone and is loved by all, Koromaru.

Dantis

P3 was different because it sort of had cliques. You got mc, Yukari, Junpei and later Fuuka all being friends. Then Mitsuru, Akihiko and Shinjiro. Aigis has her crazed robotic obsession for Mc. Ken likes no one, and finally the real badass who es everyone and is loved by all, Koromaru.

I always saw Fuuka, Ken and Koromaru as the kind of loner clique.

Venfayth

P3 was different because it sort of had cliques. You got mc, Yukari, Junpei and later Fuuka all being friends. Then Mitsuru, Akihiko and Shinjiro. Aigis has her crazed robotic obsession for Mc. Ken likes no one, and finally the real badass who es everyone and is loved by all, Koromaru.

P3 spoils:

Glad they expanded on Shinjiro in P3P female route. He was a cool character.

I always saw Fuuka, Ken and Koromaru as the kind of loner clique.

Slightly unrelated, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one ever who actually liked Fuuka's character.

Top Bottom