• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Beginner's question: is this like persona 3 portable, where it's better to do as much of the 'dungeons' as possible until blocked by something, so that you maximize your 'social time'?

(my understanding is that you started getting tired during the tartarus runs in Persona 3, so you had an incentive to go home early, but in the portable version, tiredness only hit you after you came back, so it was better to just go as far as possible and wait till the next part of the dungeon would unlock. I am not sure if I am making any sense).

Voice acting is pretty hilariously bad but entertaining.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Still seems weird to get rid of them.

I feel the same way, they made the game so much more convenient (fusions/spell picking etc) in so many ways and then just got rid of save points that just made grinding the level before a boss more inconvenient but not harder.

Oh well.

kewlmyc

WOOT! I beat
Shadow Kanji and his dungeon, plus Contrarian King
in one day on hard. All I did was train till around level 26 and fused a persona that knew blue wall.

-GJ-

Do you want to know?

I don't think I will play a female MC run any time soon with P4G arriving here in a week or so, so go ahead. Tell me.

edit: I've only played P4 up until
King Moron gets killed
, so if I will meet the character after that, don't tell me.

T.O.P

Banned
Gaf how do i stop @_@

itcbCCRjT1guo.jpg

it has been a while since i've spent so much time on a game in barely two days lol

Astra

I love the chat log, and how you can replay voice clips. At the part where Teddie gives Chie her glasses, and says 'Fo Sho', I was going back in the log, replaying some voice clips, followed by Teddie's 'Fo sho'. It was late, I was tired, and cracking myself up.

I love the chat log, and how you can replay voice clips. At the part where Teddie gives Chie her glasses, and says 'Fo Sho', I was going back in the log, replaying some voice clips, followed by Teddie's 'Fo sho'. It was late, I was tired, and cracking myself up.

a shame that Fo' Sho' was not delivered as well as the original :(

Just got the Vita bundle off Amazon, and I've been looking at this game.

Love RPGs, but I've never played the Persona games. Persona 4 doesn't look like your conventional FF/DQ fanfare.

As someone who prefers a minimalist approach to story-telling with heavy action and grind-fests, is Persona 4 for me?

Astra

a shame that Fo' Sho' was not delivered as well as the original :(

Haha, yeah it wasn't quite as good, but still wasn't bad. I do miss Wittenberg's Teddie, but Riegel's is pretty damn close. He probably won't have the same delivery for some of the battle support line, such as "Yukiko's out to lunch!".

Love RPGs, but I've never played the Persona games. Persona 4 doesn't look like your conventional FF/DQ fanfare.

As someone who prefers a minimalist approach to story-telling with heavy action and grind-fests, is Persona 4 for me?

Not at all. This is very story heavy, and has some great character interactions and development. It may be a bit grindy on Risky difficulty, but it seems Golden is quite a step down from the original difficulty-wise. You actually don't have to spend much time at all in the dungeons, and most of the game is spent living a day to day life, interacting with many unique characters.

Haha, yeah it wasn't quite as good, but still wasn't bad. I do miss Wittenberg's Teddie, but Riegel's is pretty damn close. He probably won't have the same delivery for some of the battle support line, such as "Yukiko's out to lunch!".

He is mostly fine, but his lines when scanning enemies, the worst being YIKES, this is one tough enemy!, sound god awful.

P90

Not so much. P4 is about "relationships", as your advancing character/story elements makes you stronger in battle. If any game might convert you over from a minimalist approach it would be P4. Ragnarok Odyssey sounds more what you are describing you would like.

Syrinx

Almost 15 hours in. I love just about everything about this game.

I love that the dungeons, though random and mazelike, aren't just some giant grind-tower like in P3. Also, I love that they all have a theme that goes with the character occupying it. Like
Kanji's bathhouse reflecting his latent homosexual feelings (at least that's what it seems like, though his shadow is pretty flamboyant and the introduction said "Men Only", so it's kind of obvious what they're doing. Regardless, I haven't fought the shadow yet, so maybe it's something deeper).

Similarly, I love how the shadows themselves have an actual meaning in the context of the game and its characters.
I love how they show these other sides of the characters that you can sort of see when talking to them but then come out in full. My favorite so far was Yukiko's shadow recreating the TV interview by just saying, "Go away!" and "Leave me alone!" If only that were voiced.

Speaking of which, I love the characters. Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, and Teddie are all hilarious, and they're especially so when interacting with each other. I'm particularly fond of the conversations between Yosuke and Chie.

I love how streamlined the systems have become. Every RPG ever should have the option to sell a piece of equipment after you've just purchased and equipped a superior one. Also, the battle system finally lets you control your other party characters. This was probably my biggest problem with P3.

So, yeah. Game of the year so far for me (though I haven't played as many as I would have liked; still need to check out Dishonored, XCOM, and even Mass Effect 3). Still, I fucking love this game, and can't wait to play more. Why am I not playing now?

Bullza2o

10 hours in, just beat the first dungeon. I love this game, can't seem to put it away.

I also suck, and I'm playing on hard. I had to grind so early I was surprised.

colormage1

Neo Member
Hey, did anyone's face cover have scratches on it? Because mine did and is unusable.

=(

I contacted Atlus about getting another one, but I don't think it's going to do anything.

Anyone not using the one they bought? Because I'll gladly take it and use it and love it or even possibly buy it.

Mr.Fresh

Noooooo my vita Died right after I beat the bathhouse boss. I haven't saved it since right before the mid boss of the bathhouse.

Astra

Hey, did anyone's face cover have scratches on it? Because mine did and is unusable.

=(

I contacted Atlus about getting another one, but I don't think it's going to do anything.

Anyone not using the one they bought? Because I'll gladly take it and use it and love it or even possibly buy it.

No, mine was perfectly fine. Odd how that happened, since it's packed inside the hard case.

Noooooo my vita Died right after I beat the bathhouse boss. I haven't saved it since right before the mid boss of the bathhouse.

It's OK, it just went into standby mode. Just plug it in, and wait for the light to stop flashing, and you can turn it on and continue where you left off.

Mr.Fresh

No, mine was perfectly fine. Odd how that happened, since it's packed inside the hard case.

It's OK, it just went into standby mode. Just plug it in, and wait for the light to stop flashing, and you can turn it on and continue where you left off.

Really? That's great I was so sad I would've had to do all that again.

Anyone beat the boss in the castle of you save
Yukiko
? He destroyed my party.

Astra

Really? That's great I was so sad I would've had to do all that again.

Yeah, same thing happened to me while playing VLR, and I hadn't saved for a long time. I plugged it in, and just hoped for the best that it went into stand-by. I was relieved to see it start up right where it shut off on me.

Syrinx

One thing I forgot: the music for this game is fantastic. I'm hardly into this sort of music usually (mostly rock and metal for me) but goddamn if the school/town theme and the main battle theme (sorry, don't know the names of the songs) aren't catchy as hell and fun to listen to. Persona 3 had a similar effect, but I think this game has even better music.

Speaking of which, am I a bad person for watching the opening video every time just to see Rise dancing?

Astra

I'm like 22 hours in so far and I can't put the fucking game down. Shit is ridiculous because I just got it 3 days ago.

:D This is what happened to me with Persona 3 Portable. I couldn't put the thing down, but I had more free time. Same is happening here, but my time has been limited since I picked it up. Come next week though, I'll have much more free time, and I'll marathon this shit!

Top Bottom