• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

i'm a newb to persona but have always wanted to get into it, so a question for the series veterans: what's a good jumping-in point? do i need to play them all in order? I don't have a vita, but that's currently the only system i do not own so i can get anything for psp/ps2/ps3. if its the type of series that each game is generally unrelated to each other like final fantasy i would be cool starting at the newer games but idk if the story reaches far back or not.

The stories are seperate. Play them in any order.

Trigger

i'm a newb to persona but have always wanted to get into it, so a question for the series veterans: what's a good jumping-in point? do i need to play them all in order? I don't have a vita, but that's currently the only system i do not own so i can get anything for psp/ps2/ps3. if its the type of series that each game is generally unrelated to each other like final fantasy i would be cool starting at the newer games but idk if the story reaches far back or not.

You can play them in any order. I'd say start with Golden since it's the most pimped out version.

Is there any easy way to get sp? The amount of money that fox charges is just ridiculous.

No, not really. The shuffle time has a chance of restoring SP, but your best bet is to level the fox's social link. The SOS doesn't give me nearly enough SP to be useful.

I actually have a glitch in the rescue log menu. When I look at the online tag of a certain rescue, the game always locks up and does the this game has encountered a problem and needs to close.

What boss gets you Yukiko's fan?'That should be her weapon for almost the entire game.

As for Dantis, Eriko > Maki

I don't remember the level of the first Aeon Persona, Uzume, but she has Invigorate 2, just equip her and go to floor 1 of the castle and auto battle for free sp for mc, who should be doing most of the work in random battles anyways

great info but what this card do exactly? :)

http://persona4.wikia.com/wiki/Sharp_Student

PAY ATTENTION, FOOL

what is this?

Sorry I am dense too, but with the innate ability, does this mean I get that Skill immediately, like skill cards in P3P? Or am I completely missing the purpose/use of this skill/item? I am going to try my hardest to get into this game, I want to know everything (first time playing) only SMT type game I got through was Devil Survivor, I was 1/3 way through P3P and decided to stop once I got P4 Golden so I wouldn't get burned out. Right or wrong choice?

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Played the first couple of hours. Really like how they are setting up the story and it seems really dark. Yukiko is the most interesting character so far, Chie seems massively annoying and I am already getting to the point where I am having to stop myself skipping all her dialogue. Hopefully I warm to her at some point.

P90

They are unrelated. If you have a PS2 or PS3 with BC you could pick up the original P4. If you have a PSP get P3P. I would recommend that you start with P4 or P3P. Then branch out to the earlier games. Their tone is much darker and the battle system is not as refined. P4 is the most light-hearted in the series.

Devil Survivor is Persona-esque. The battle system is unique, combined SRPG tactics and 1st-person individual battles. That would be another branching point you might want to check out after P4/P3P.

Played the first couple of hours. Really like how they are setting up the story and it seems really dark. Yukiko is the most interesting character so far, Chie seems massively annoying and I am already getting to the point where I am having to stop myself skipping all her dialogue. Hopefully I warm to her at some point.

Persona 4 is actually the lightest toned Persona game.

P90, not if you play P1/2IS/2EP or P3FES/P4/P4A

I like Yukiko's Ghost Story Time she completely and randomly starts during the fight thunderstorm day

P90

Persona 4 is actually the lightest toned Persona game.

P90, not if you play P1/2IS/2EP or P3FES/P4/P4A

I like Yukiko's Ghost Story Time she completely and randomly starts during the fight thunderstorm day

Hi Buddha, I am not sure I understand what you are trying to tell me. Is it story relations?

P90

ShutupyoustupidjerkIhateyoumarieisjusttoodeepforyoutounderstandyouareavery badpersonandyoushouldfeelbadgoawayyouidiotpervertjerkfacewahwah

P1 and both P2's are directly related, P3 and P4 are now related because of P4 Arena

OK. I was repeating what I heard from P1/P2 vets for quite some time about the lack of relation. I have never finished P1 or P2 IS/EP. P4A is in my backlog. My bad.

Dantis

Marie is awful. The worst.

She's pretty weak, and the big finish for her story is rather anti-climactic. She fits in with the new content in P4G in that her story is pretty light-hearted and easy-going. Personally I like the poignant stories more though.

Also Maki > Elly. Fo' sho'.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Believe it or not, I beat him (on Normal) before going into the second dungeon, probably because he never used Rampage on me. I also made sure to keep up the pressure on him thinking any given turn near the end could be a Rampage, but...

Not sure of the exact level, but since I hadn't even gone to the second dungeon it was probably 16 or 17.

I did it too, I was level 20 or something before the second dungeon. I went into the dungeon 3 times so far, 1 day spent to defeat the first dungeon, 1 day spent to defeat Contrarian King and to do some sidequests and a third day to beat the second dungeon. Sort of regret wasting a day on the Contrarian King, could have done that together with the 2nd dungeon.

And yeah, to defeat this guy you need some luck. I usually tried to get him down to 33-50% health, then I spammed some Diamond mirrors to save me in case he rampaged. Usually my main survived (STR resist persona) and I had Yosuke casting the "raise evasion" spell all the time. That meant that usually 1 or 2 of the other three survived as well.

Still fucking glad I got it over with.

Rise's dungeon? Level 30 with a persona strong against ice.

Oh lol, third dungeon hasnt even started yet and I am already at 30. Guess I dont need to worry that much about the third dungeon, haha.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there any easy way to get sp? The amount of money that fox charges is just ridiculous.

In addition to using the fox (with the updated social links to make his services cheaper), also:
- make sure to keep up your Shuffle time multiplier. Often times you get HP/SP cards as well.
- if you are in a bind, go down to the easiest level, and hit the "HELP" button before every fight, give it a few steps time and usually you get about 3-5 SP from every fight as well. Since those fights are easy, you dont need to rely on your skills and dont use up SP. This has the disadvantage of only grinding on the lowest level.
- Get a persona with the skill that gives back SP every turn ASAP (INVIGORATE). I go to the easy fights with my persona equipped and you can fill up the SP bar pretty fast through that. Make sure to only heal using your Main character. Usually running around with a Persona like that all the time except when its needed. I could do every dungeon in one go and never ran out of SP, while still grinding a lot. Usually also works on mid range difficulty levels, sometimes even on the highest if the Persona is decent. I used my last SP heal Persona in the dungeon 2 bossfight.

Just got an Invigorate 2 fusion persona before the 3rd dungeon, definitely going to get that before attempting dungeon 3. Best skill so far.

Salaadin

Believe it or not, I beat him (on Normal) before going into the second dungeon, probably because he never used Rampage on me. I also made sure to keep up the pressure on him thinking any given turn near the end could be a Rampage, but...

Not sure of the exact level, but since I hadn't even gone to the second dungeon it was probably 16 or 17.

I got him at 16/17 too. Buffed up with any defense and evasion and just spammed ice attacks when I could.

Quick question: I just beat the mini boss in the sauna and forgot to check if there was a reward in a chest. Is there? Well it still be there if I go back?

Venfayth

I beat him on Very Hard by fusing a persona that had Tetrakarn and spamming it, then using the other characters to do damage and keep MCs SP up.

He only rampaged once, and I barely survived because I had Tetrakarn up on a few people at that point. But yeah, the boss basically did 80% of the damage needed to kill him to himself.

Even with that strat it's still heavily luck based. I almost died many times, and this was AFTER I'd beaten the second dungeon's boss.

Trigger

I got him at 16/17 too. Buffed up with any defense and evasion and just spammed ice attacks when I could.

Quick question: I just beat the mini boss in the sauna and forgot to check if there was a reward in a chest. Is there? Well it still be there if I go back?

It'll be there when you go back. Beating the extra bosses always nets you a unique weapon for the corresponding character and a courage boost. There's no chest; just examine the area and you'll get the weapon.

AleeN634

I appreciate all the other new changes like the updated walks to school (loved the one where the girl runs past you and back to get her bag) and the new blackout scene.

Golbez

YzFi0l.jpg

Bad Dojima! I need to go get a Hierophant Persona to spend time with you!

P90

This is the greatest game ever. I've laughed so many times and fuck the Chie haters. she is my new waifu.

It isn't hate per se, it is just that Chie's original VA was/is much better. There is a portion of people on the other side of that fence, though. All is P4 goodness.

Syrinx

Dojima is actually one of the characters whose development I'm looking forward to most as the game goes on.
His conversation with Rise where she told him that you came and spoke to her about the murders and such seems to have increased his suspicion of the main character. I don't think he suspects him of the murders, but maybe that he knows something.

Interested to see where this game goes with him. Things may get ugly.

Trigger

I sealed the deal with Chie and now I slightly regret it. Rise is so cute too.

wait, how do y'all get so much SOS boost :(

Is it when y'all play? I seem to at most get 1 to 2 dudes to respond :/

I've gotten four responses at once during the third dungeon. I almost shit my pants. I'm not sure why the numbers are so low normally. You'd think there would be more people out there.

This is the greatest game ever. I've laughed so many times and fuck the Chie haters. she is my new waifu.

Dem Chie hatas jus' don' undastand. Me and Chie got somethin special dat non of yas can undastand, kapish? Her voice may sound a little off'n'stuff, but dis girl, let me tells ya, she drop kicked a freakin tank! A TANK! DAT TANK WAS LIKE IM GONNA END YAS, YUS GONNA DIE AND THEN SHE SENT DAT TANK INTO DA FREAKIN STRATOSPHERE, IT WAS COOL AS HELL LET ME TELL YAS.

wait, how do y'all get so much SOS boost :(

Is it when y'all play? I seem to at most get 1 to 2 dudes to respond :/

I get 2 people alot, but even with one person responding all my characters get 13+ SP back with yukiko getting 19 SP each time. It really adds up considering I can do all of my healing on trash mobs entirely off of SP gained from SoS.

I am pretty sure its percentage of max SP based so it only scales better the higher level you are.

Top Bottom