• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Getting her on the lover's route is necessary for
the epilogue
. I guess this way, you're forced to do her route if you want the new stuff. Well played Atlus.

I don't think she's that bad. Her tsundere personality is bland, her poems suck, and her amnesia plotline has been done to death, but she...... I forgot where I was going with this.

I heard doing lovers only changed one scene on the tv and the rest was the same

Her calling Igor The Nose is the best part

the epilogue
. I guess this way, you're forced to do her route if you want the new stuff. Well played Atlus.

I don't think she's that bad. Her tsundere personality is bland, her poems suck, and her amnesia plotline has been done to death, but she...... I forgot where I was going with this.

But those strrrrriiiipeeees.

Can someone explain what the skill up cards are and how they work completely? Also are they the same as the skills learned - Sharp Student? First time P4 and I am trying to understand their purpose and use. Thanks.

yami4ct

So, how do you get the bug catching net? I see the little boy in the shrine talking about losing it, but cannot figure out how the heck to get it.

And another question, how do you finish Quest 31, the one about the cleaning club? I got the mop, but cannot figure out where to get the other piece. Something about a clothing shop?

SoulUnison

Banned
Can someone explain what the skill up cards are and how they work completely? Also are they the same as the skills learned - Sharp Student? First time P4 and I am trying to understand their purpose and use. Thanks.

You find Skill Cards and you can use them to immediately teach one of MCs Personas the skill on the card.

Alternatively, you can take the card to Marie in the Velvet Room, and if it's a card she hasn't see before, she'll take it from you, but then you buy as many copies of the same card from her as you want. So, if you find an extremely good skill and/or only have 1 of a skill left, it's a good idea to take it to Marie ASAP so you never have to worry about tracking down that specific Card again.

Also, if you have a card and you don't know what the Skill on it does, you should register it with Marie. The Skill's real description/effect will be listed on the Buy screen for it, instead of just its name, like in your backpack.

EDIT: Oh, Skill *Up* cards. My bad. *Grumble* I haven't even seen one of those yet.

Ravidrath

So I guess there isn't a complete calendar for maxing all S.Links yet?

The one on GameFAQs is rather incomplete, and he hasn't updated it since August...

So, how do you get the bug catching net? I see the little boy in the shrine talking about losing it, but cannot figure out how the heck to get it.

Go to the shrine at night and talk to the woman in white. She'll give it to you.

ckohler

For someone who hasn't played a serious RPG in over 15 years, how hard would this game be to learn? I watched a stream of someone playing and it looked pretty overwhelming and complicated. Be honest.

kewlmyc

Depressing people. I choose to believe it is canon!
Is there any official indication it isn't, though? Or is it really just left up to the player to decide?

It wasn't in the original P3, and the answer has Junpei strongly imply that she's still dead. That's pretty much it.
Nothing official though. Maybe we'll find out in P5 or something if Arena's ending is indication on the direction P5 is going.

The one on GameFAQs is rather incomplete, and he hasn't updated it since August...

Go to the shrine at night and talk to the woman in white. She'll give it to you.

No guide, but maxxing out most of them shouldn't be that much of a problem with the extra month and the new oppurtunities to hang out at night and level up your stats more often.

yami4ct

I read that, and I just ran around there and she's not around. She only there on certain days? Do I have to visit the same day I talk to the kid? I can't imagine this is missable.

Trigger

For someone who hasn't played a serious RPG in over 15 years, how hard would this game be to learn? I watched a stream of someone playing and it looked pretty overwhelming and complicated. Be honest.

What? Persona 4 is as easy as they come in JRPGs

During shuffletime you might see the Magician card appear. It will automatically change one skill to a similar skill of a higher tier. I had Cruel Attack a medium physical skill upgraded to Vile Assault, a heavy physical skill. Some skills don't have a counterpart it seems though. My skull cracker skill was evolved into the crazy chain skill, but that skill doesn't get upgraded. I'd have to see if a faq already exist to show the skills are organized, but that's about it. Pretty simple stuff.

EDIT- Are you referring to skill cards or the shuffletime card? lol, I think the phrase "skill up" may have confused me.

Ravidrath

No guide, but maxxing out most of them shouldn't be that much of a problem with the extra month and the new oppurtunities to hang out at night and level up your stats more often.

OK, then I'll try not to worry about it too much.

It seems like the Vox Populii is actually a pretty good indicator of what to do next, too.

Astra

The Answer mentions that character's passing and nothing about a revival

It wasn't in the original P3, and the answer has Junpei strongly imply that she's still dead. That's pretty much it.
Nothing official though. Maybe we'll find out in P5 or something if Arena's ending is indication on the direction P5 is going.

Ah yeah, sounds familiar. I rewatched that portion of The Answer here, and definitely sounds like
Chidori remains dead
. That whole portion of the game is hugely depressing. The complete opposite of Persona 4.

I do miss the darker atmosphere, and hope Persona 5 strikes a good balance between the dark, depressing aspect, and the more upbeat, social aspect.

Ah yeah, sounds familiar. I rewatched that portion of The Answer here, and definitely sounds like
Chidori remains dead
. That whole portion of the game is hugely depressing. The complete opposite of Persona 4.

I do miss the darker atmosphere, and hope Persona 5 strikes a good balance between the dark, depressing aspect, and the more upbeat, social aspect.

I felt like Persona 2: Innocent Sin did the best balance of light and dark. There are scenes in there that are P4 level, and scenes darker than anything in P3.

blackflag

Nope, I think she fits the character well. I actually like her new voice better.
Please don't kill me
. New Teddie, on the other hand, is a bit weaker than the original, but still fits just fine.

Seems great to me and fits her character but despite owning persona 4 original since release day, I never played it until Golden so I dunno how it compares.

Trigger

That may be but I don't play JRPGs at all. Is there an in game tutorial?

Most elements are explained yes. A chunk of the combat comes down to finding an elemental weakness and exploiting it. I have a younger sister who hates most of the SMT franchise, but loves the later installments in the Persona franchise. There's also this thread if you ever get stuck. :)

What was the last RPG you played?

Seems great to me and fits her character but despite owning persona 4 original since release day, I never played it until Golden so I dunno how it compares.

Sorry man, but whenever I see anyone with a Labrys avatar, ah get'a certain urge ta type like dis like a knuckleheaded idiot. I should really put da kibosh on dis, but'cha undastand , doncha?

Omikaru

the epilogue

So wait, I need to date her too. What the fucking fuck is this shit?

I heard doing lovers only changed one scene on the tv and the rest was the same

I really hope that's true. I'm going to max her SL, but I really don't want to date her. I think that'd kill the experience for me, especially since I have my heart set on Rise this time through (I did Yukiko on P4 for PS2), and I'm a monogamous kind of guy.

I really hope that's true. I'm going to max her SL, but I really don't want to date her. I think that'd kill the experience for me, especially since I have my heart set on Rise this time through (I did Yukiko on P4 for PS2), and I'm a monogamous kind of guy.

I've been debating on even initiating Rise's link on this playthrough. I like the girl, but I'm on very hard, and I think her skills would just kill it, I dunno..

Trigger

Final Fantasy IIV on PS1, I think.

VII is more complicated than Persona 4, IMO. There's less enemy variety, most abilities are straightforward, and you have a party member dedicated to telling you how much hp/sp enemies have. lol, in VII you needed to have a certain materia just to know that kind of info. The real thing to be cautious of is the fact that P4 has some real visual novel elements. You'll spend more time reading dialogue and watching scenes than you will fighting
unless you love grinding like me
. If you can deal with the anime-esque set-up then there's nothing to worry about.

Dantis

You definitely need to complete the S Link, not sure if you have to take the Lover's route.

inner-G

Banned
It's very newb friendly in the beginning, you just follow the plot along for a while.

It has a good flow to keep you on task, it's a lot more approachable than it may seem like from the outside.

Can anyone tell me the requirements for the true ending without spoilers? This is my first time playing through P4 and I just started
Nanako's
dungeon.

pahamrick

I've put 30 hours into this since I picked up it Tuesday. Been a long time since I've gone non-stop on a game like that, much less one on a hand held. I really enjoyed Persona 3, but a few things annoyed me enough where it didn't really edge into my top 5 RPGs.

I really think P4 is gonna shoot to #1 easily. Already looking forward to NG+ so I can max every SLink.

Omikaru

The learning curve on P4 is beginner friendly, plus there's a wide variety of difficulty levels. If you feel intimidated by doing things like buffing your team and de-buffing tougher enemies, the Easy difficulty is a good entry point (all you need to know on that difficulty is enemy weaknesses, which can be quickly learned in a turn or two through experimentation). If you think you can handle some tactics involving those skills, Normal difficulty is a good bet. If you just want to breeze the story without having to do anything even remotely considered hard, Very Easy is... well... very easy.

The game also gives you an explanation every time it throws a new feature at you, which tells you what it does, and the benefits and drawbacks of said gameplay feature, but there's no playable or in-game tutorial segment that teaches you everything in one go. You just hit tutorials as and when you need them.

Really, as far as JRPGs are concerned, Persona 4 is one of the most welcoming. The difficulty can be challenging and rewarding, but it's in no way prohibitive. After 10-12 hours or so, you'll have completed a dungeon and learned pretty much everything you'll need to know from the RPG side, save for picking out your party rotation for each crawl. There may be a few things added on the non-RPG world side of the game, but those are innocuous and if anything you'll be struck by decision fatigue due to the amount of choices you have each day, rather than any punishing mechanic that's complicated.

Also, P4G is, in my opinion from the first 18 hours or so that I've played, the best one to get into the series with, especially for beginners. There's so many new functions in this game which make it far less punishing than the others, what with Rise's overpowered social link benefits, the SOS feature (just spam it and you'll be able to grind for 30-40% longer, meaning you can visit the dungeons less), bike chases, moments where two members of your party randomly team up to deliver devastating attacks, and certain re-balances to core mechanics (such as dying not being as punishing) all make for an even more welcoming experience than P4 was.

I think as far as JRPGs go, P4G is about as newb-friendly as it gets, save for Pokémon.

Can anyone tell me the requirements for the true ending without spoilers? This is my first time playing through P4 and I just started
Nanako's
dungeon.
This would be very helpful, as I only know the requirements from P4, and not any extra ones new to P4G. Not that I wouldn't relish replaying this game again if I fucked it up, but it's 60-70 hours and after I beat it I really want to put it down for 2-3 months before I play again.

Nexas

Nanako's
dungeon.

First you need to avoid the bad ending which involves picking a set of choices:

1.Wait a second here...
2. We're missing something
3. Namatame's true feelings
4. Something's bothering me
5. We're missing something
6. Calm the hell down!

Then you'll need to
Pick the killer out of a list of names

That will get you the normal ending.

To get the true ending you have to
talk to all your social links on the last day of the game. Afterwards the game will keep telling you go home, but don't. Eventually you'll get to the true ending

Of course this was all for vanilla P4. It might have changed slightly for Golden

yami4ct

I'm just now starting to get to level 10 with most of my investigation team members, which made me remember that they added 3rd level Personas for the team in this. I assume the game's going to be super obvious when you can get them, but how do they work?

What? Persona 4 is as easy as they come in JRPGs

During shuffletime you might see the Magician card appear. It will automatically change one skill to a similar skill of a higher tier. I had Cruel Attack a medium physical skill upgraded to Vile Assault, a heavy physical skill. Some skills don't have a counterpart it seems though. My skull cracker skill was evolved into the crazy chain skill, but that skill doesn't get upgraded. I'd have to see if a faq already exist to show the skills are organized, but that's about it. Pretty simple stuff.

EDIT- Are you referring to skill cards or the shuffletime card? lol, I think the phrase "skill up" may have confused me.

I think I am further confused now, but thank you for the additional answer on the after battle shuffle, I think that was in P3P, or at least sort of sounds like it. I think I was more talking about the skill cards though, there are blank ones that you can choose any skill to inherit/teach now, I am confused, sorry.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
the epilogue

Aw, but I don't want to. :(
There's something about her that I don't really like and I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

I played a bit of this to get away from my FF4 playthrough a little bit and all I've been doing is eating stuff at Aiya and reloading whenever the stats I want aren't increased, lol.

I need coal from a steamy basalt in the sauna. Any trick to getting these to appear? I've been running around floor 7 and 8 for almost 2 hours now
That's just a regular one so if you're going in on a rainy day it might hurt your chances, iirc. Otherwise, you're probably having bad luck getting it. :/

Omikaru

First you need to avoid the bad ending which involves picking a set of choices:

1.Wait a second here...
6. Calm the hell down!

Then you'll need to

talk to all your social links on the last day of the game. Afterwards the game will keep telling you go home, but don't. Eventually you'll get to the true ending

Of course this was all for vanilla P4. It might have changed slightly for Golden

I just researched it, you need to add maxing out the Aeon Social Link to this.

So for P4G I think it's as follows:

1.Wait a second here...
6. Calm the hell down!

Then you'll need to

Complete the Aeon Social Link (lover not required), then beat the
new dungeon that opens up in January

talk to all your social links on the last day of the game. Afterwards the game will keep telling you go home, but don't. Eventually you'll get to the true ending dungeon

yami4ct

The fact she calls Igor "The Nose" and she gets angry when people find out she writes poetry are the only parts of Marie's character I like. Otherwise, she just seems like Elizabeth but angrier. Eh, she's fine.

If the fact you have to go down the lover's route with her to get to some extra stuff bothers you, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any of the lover's events you see throughout the game. It makes her a bit more ignorable. Still, kind of a dumb decision if true.

demonkaze

So i'm wondering if i'm screwed on maxing Justice S-Link? I'm following a guide and when I was supposed to rank up to 2 I forgot to have a matching persona resulting on me only spending time with Justice on that night. Now the guide has me at rank 3 and i'm only 2 and I understand theres a bit of a time limit on that S-Link?

Top Bottom