• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Yuripaw

Banned
Basically. The more I took it seriously, the more irritating and mildly offensive it became, so it's better just to treat it as a punchline.

Some of the jokes were pretty funny in the original game, lol. One of my favorite lines was
during King's Game, and Teddie has Kanji smooch him, and Teddie says "Kanji! So you were after my fuzzy fur!"
lol always made me laugh.

I agree. In addition I'll add:
The game treats the idea of Kanji being gay as more of a gag than an actual possibility. If the Emperor social link is anything to go by than Kanji's real struggle is that he wanted to be seen as a man despite his feminine hobbies.
In the P4 anime (which may not be canon) he
clearly has a super crush on the protagonist due to the power of swag
, and then there are subtle hints/jokes about this in P4Arena as well.

So
HOORAY for lgbt characters in games on their cusp of figuring themselves out in their adolescence, BOO for some of the things Yosuke says to him for the sake of "humor"

So
HOORAY for lgbt characters in games on their cusp of figuring themselves out in their adolescence, BOO for some of the things Yosuke says to him for the sake of "humor"

Yosuke is supposed to be the portrayal of a typical teenager. Many typical teens rib on their friends over various things. their size, their race, their sexuality, their hobbies, what movies or music or sports teams they like, etc. Friends like to joke about each other. It happens.

Also the anime is way worse at the portrayal of quite a bit of characters. Like someone way before pointed out, they became their hiimdaisy counterparts.

Yuripaw

Banned
Also the anime is way worse at the portrayal of quite a bit of characters. Like someone way before pointed out, they became their hiimdaisy counterparts.

Yeah, this is very true. The anime takes em to their extreme in some spots, and is not nearly as subtle as the game portrays them.

Trigger

So

Ah, I never watched the anime.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yosuke is supposed to be the portrayal of a typical teenager. Many typical teens rib on their friends over various things. their size, their race, their sexuality, their hobbies, what movies or music or sports teams they like, etc. Friends like to joke about each other. It happens.
All the same, I don't like that in a game about people accepting themselves and embracing their true feelings, there's a character who asks his possibly gay friend if he can be trusted during the night. The dialogue isn't supposed to be taken as anything more than a joke and a setup for the next absurd event, but the implication is offensive and somewhat obnoxious, and it's always bothered me that Yosuke's not called out for his constant ribbing, as it seems counter to the game's theme.

Yuripaw

Banned
All the same, I don't like that in a game about people accepting themselves and embracing their true feelings, there's a character who asks his possibly gay friend if he can be trusted during the night. The dialogue isn't supposed to be taken as anything more than a joke and a setup for the next absurd event, but the implication is offensive and somewhat obnoxious, and it's always bothered me that Yosuke's not called out for his constant ribbing, as it seems counter to the game's theme.

Yosuke's a bit of an asshole. However, like was said above...teenagers can be assholes. When I think back to high school, everyone was pretty shallow, and I can totally see someone saying the same thing like Yosuke would if one of them was suspected of being gay. As an adult, yes, it sounds like a total dick, and asshole thing to say, but as a teenager, it's true. People would be like that.

Again, the game is a portrayal of for the most part, normal teenagers, living normal teenage lives, except for the crazy crap they deal with. In real life, when a friend jokes about anothers sexuality, some karma event or something else usually does not correct it. Anyways, Yosuke is taunted in the game WAY more than Kanji, bad things constantly happen to him. Also, Yukiko and Chie are jerks to the guys in general, but they never get their comeuppance. Many things that are kind of screwed up in this game are played for laughs really.

Yuripaw

Banned
Again, the game is a portrayal of for the most part, normal teenagers, living normal teenage lives, except for the crazy crap they deal with. In real life, when a friend jokes about anothers sexuality, some karma event or something else usually does not correct it. Anyways, Yosuke is taunted in the game WAY more than Kanji, bad things constantly happen to him. Also, Yukiko and Chie are jerks to the guys in general, but they never get their comeuppance. Many things that are kind of screwed up in this game are played for laughs really.

It always bothered me that
the girls never get their comeuppance for beating the shit out of the guys with baskets, and being in the hot springs at the hotel, when it was supposed to be reserved for men at that hour.

I felt the same, but at least in the game they gave you the option to call Yosuke out on it.

Say what you will about the anime, but I loved it in terms of pure fan service, except for when the above scene happens and the protagonist joins in on the "playful" insults. I found it a huge bummer, and counter to Atlus/Hashino's inclusion of major LGBT characters in two of their games now.

Astral

Yeah Yosuke's a huge homophobic prick in that scene. It was still funny though.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yosuke's a bit of an asshole. However, like was said above...teenagers can be assholes. When I think back to high school, everyone was pretty shallow, and I can totally see someone saying the same thing like Yosuke would if one of them was suspected of being gay. As an adult, yes, it sounds like a total dick, and asshole thing to say, but as a teenager, it's true. People would be like that.

Fair enough. Most of the other things that are mocked are more personality quirks than much else, but I'm sure there isn't any sort of malicious intent behind the aforementioned dialogue. It's really just more disappointing than anything, and it takes me out of the game so much that the period between Kanji's rescue and the next person's kidnapping feels like a chore.

I felt the same, but at least in the game they gave you the option to call Yosuke out on it.

Say what you will about the anime, but I loved it in terms of pure fan service, except for when the above scene happens and the protagonist joins in on the "playful" insults. I found it a huge bummer, and counter to Atlus/Hashino's inclusion of major LGBT characters in two of their games now.
Yep.

^That really did feel so off, and almost like there was a different writer. The Kanji episode has Yu say "everyone has their thing" and pretty much accepted him. Then the camping episode has him basically saying he doesnt accept him at night.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
July and I've already maxed out Yukiko's S.Link. Think I might've focused too much on her =x

screw rise's final two fights. Took me three wipes to figure out the pattern of the first, and the second one rando-killed me twice. One-day'd the dungeon though. Glad I chose Hard rather than very-hard. I would have thrown my vita if teddy's wipe happened after that grind.

Alfredo

Are the available daily activities different for each player now? Sometimes when I check to the "voice" option to see what people did during the night, it'll say something like "Ate a snack", but when I check the fridge, there's nothing in it. What's up with that?

It's hard to say.
I always started assuming Kanji wasn't really gay, it's just that he was super confused and embarrassed because he was attracted to someone who he thought was a man. I always felt that he was attracted to Naoto, because I figured subconsciously he could tell that she was a girl. It's not like Kanji shows any interest in any other dudes. He had doubts, because he thought he was attracted to a man. Once it's revealed Naoto's a girl, he never really backs away from his attraction to her.
Just how I saw it.

Obviously, you make a lot of sense. I just really wanted Kanji to be gay, just because despite the gags, I thought his inner struggles and character development would have been great in the context of a gay character.

Then again, myself being gay, my point of vie is biased.

Syrinx

So I'm officially in Rise's dungeon.
And it's a strip club. Hmm. I'm going to go ahead and guess that Rise wanting to "expose" herself is symbolism for her desire for people to see the real her and not the persona she puts on on TV (hey guys you see what I did there? Cause I totally did something there.) Pretty telling that Yosuke, the slightly perverted one and big fan of Rise's, is even disturbed by the whole thing.

Game is still awesome. Nothing changed. Oh, by the way,
who was that creepy dude trying to spy on Rise from the telephone pole? Was he just a way to get the party away from the shop?
You know what? I'm sure the answer is yes.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So I'm officially in Rise's dungeon.
And it's a strip club. Hmm. I'm going to go ahead and guess that Rise wanting to "expose" herself is symbolism for her desire for people to see the real her and not the persona she puts on on TV (hey guys you see what I did there? Cause I totally did something there.) Pretty telling that Yosuke, the slightly perverted one and big fan of Rise's, is even disturbed by the whole thing.

Game is still awesome. Nothing changed. Oh, by the way,
who was that creepy dude trying to spy on Rise from the telephone pole? Was he just a way to get the party away from the shop?
You know what? I'm sure the answer is yes.

Yes, you're right.

Also that dungeon music.

The thing i love about this game are the little animations, like opening up the lid of ramen and studying hw and reading books and stuff.

But that's why i love the Sims as well.

mundane animations are the best.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I need help: Rise or Yukiko?

I've gone down the lovers route with Yukiko before which felt right because you help her out a lot. But Rise gives you the best item on Christmas Eve... Ugh. It's hard to choose.

Fire resistance or SP+50%?!

I've gone down the lovers route with Yukiko before which felt right because you help her out a lot. But Rise gives you the best item on Christmas Eve... Ugh. It's hard to choose.

Don't you need Marie to access the extra content?

Trigger

The correct answer is Chie.

Rise is acceptable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Might choose Rise. Change... change can be good, right?

SpaceBridge said:
Don't you need Marie to access the extra content?
Apparently not according to earlier in the thread.

Haven't checked out the Japanese wiki yet.

Edit:
永劫コミュをMAXにし、1月2日の新年の挨拶時にベルベットルームへ行き、マリー救出フラグを立てる
Aeon commu at max. Go to velvet room on January 2 and talk to Margaret for the rescue Marie Flag. Doesn't say anything about lovers, but I'm willing to test it out this playthrough and not hook up with her.

The thing with Yosuke is that he crushes on everyone! It's pretty much his failed Casanova act
that acts as one of the big reasons he is (eventually) at odds with Yu.
And even Chie, who people usually pair him with, seems tenuous.

But this is straying into shipping territory, and that stuff gets messy.

He does, but that's his personality, he makes similarly (misguided) propositions to nearly all the girls.

Oh, Brosuke!

It's why he remains my favourite character, because he genuinely acts like a teenager. I feel some erroneously label him as a homophobe because of some his reactions,
particularly towards Kanji
, but (in my opinion) it just comes across as the same awkward, uncomfortable outlook that a lot of people that age experience. Yosuke is just unsure of himself, and does most of the goofy shit he does, because he is just trying to fit in, despite it being largely ham-fisted.

Bingo. This is the result of more realistic characters and more realistic interaction: somethings aint going to be nice. Some people forget that. Alot.

I should rephrase that. I want a good Persona game set in University. I don't like P2. It doesn't do much with its setting and the gameplay is boring.

Mostly cuz human society is going to fucking hell around them as fucked piles upon fucked in those games. Most of the Megatens are like this except for the ones where human society has already collapsed or P4

Syrinx

You saw that opening. Who wouldn't choose Rise?

It's fucking hypnotic. I watch the opening every time I boot up the game just to see her dancing. I don't even like the song that much!

Still probably gonna go for Yukiko. I feel like I'm already deep enough with her (rank 5) where it's counterproductive to just go for someone else. Speaking of which, I believe P3 had a system where girls would get angry if you hung out too much with other girls and that froze the social link or something. Is there something similar in this game?

mollipen

Atlus probably never will, they wanted it to be ambiguous. They sure love to have scenes with him and Naoto though.

We discussed this topic on an episode of WAHP. The problem (if you see it as a problem, I do) is that Japan—and this is going to be a horribly simplified explanation—is totally okay with a lot of "alternative" lifestyles of passions so long as they're (a) a hobby, and not your way of life, (b) something you grow out of, or (c) done for entertainment.

Part of me likes to believe that Atlus wanted to give
Kanji
that personal aspect, but didn't confirm that part of him out of fear that some fans wouldn't accept it. Unfortunately, I also think—possibly more so—that Atlus included that whole storyline to spice up the story a little, knowing that he'd end up "normal" by the end of the game. They pull the exact same thing with
Naoto—she presents the player with huge amounts of reasons to believe that she might be trans, but then by the end she's grown out of those feelings and is ready to become a "normal" woman.

It's frustrating, because on the one hand, I think if any team could handle these kinds of topics in a worthwhile way, it's the Persona team. (And Catherine makes some strides in proving that, but then also kind of doesn't.) On the other, I think a lot of the acceptance that Japan seems to have for LGBT topics is false, and I think sometimes their understand of how to handle such topics ends up far worse than the West.

It's also the ambiguity problem. "Let the fans decide" is a BS cop-out, and it's frustrating. Capcom frustrates me more in that regard, but Atlus does too. With topics like this that still aren't handled with any decency most of the time in gaming, either decide you're going to take a chance with a certain type of character, or don't tease the topic. The wishy-washy "are or aren't they" just makes things worse IMHO.

On another topic - I could never, ever choose Chie. Chie is awesome best friend material, not dating material. I chose Rise my first time through, and this time I went for Yukiko. Rise is the true answer, though, because everybody knows the game is supposed to be Yu + Rise / Chie + Yukiko / Kanji + Naoto. Poor forever alone Yosuke.

yami4ct

It's June 6th and I JUST learned that I have to sell materials to the weapons smith in order to unlock new stuff to buy. Damn.

One of the few random mechanics the game never thinks is important enough to mention. It doesn't do it as much as other JRPGs, but when it does it's terrible. Bad tutorials are things that should have done with last gen. You don't need to tell me right off the bat, but maybe when I first open up the shop or something. One little text box could fix all that.

AleeN634

When can i fish? I already gave away the fish i got from that tv show and now i need to feed a hungry kitty.

Go to the Riverbed section of the Floodplains and talk to the old man (at this point in the game you should be able to fish whenever you want). You have to find the fishing hook first and make sure you have bait (breadcrumbs and ladybugs work).

Ponn

Banned
Well, as for your Persona line up,
Forneus will help you with the boss and Izanagi will help you with the Prince Charming. You also may wish to pick up a Slime for Red Wall to protect Chie from fire attacks or a Senri for it's healing abilities.

My strategy in the original game was to
Level Slime up, fuse it into a Senri and making sure it got Red Wall through inheritance , and then leveled up Senri til it got Media. Effectively making Narukami go defense. But as I understand this strategy isn't quite necessary in The Golden due to changes with the boss's weaknesses.

If you truly think you can't beat it within the time you have remaining then
let time run out and you'll be given the option to go back a week at the cost of your social link progress for that week.

Thanks for advice. I actually misread the signs and had a couple extra days till after the rain stopped. I was able to grind and wow the difference 4 levels can make on Hard mode is unreal. The game is still built around the concept of rock, paper scissors and not attrition but you still need the benefits of higher levels.

bigkrev

So i just started
Void Quest
, and I keep getting killed by regular enemies on the first few floors. I'm level 32- do I need to go back and grind, or am I just missing something?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
....damn son. They should do a better job at mentioning that stuff.
Pretty sure the shop guy mentions it the first time you walk in, and the first time you open the sell menu, a pop up appears to let you know materials are only good for selling.

They could've done an FMV I guess.

Sophia

Thanks for advice. I actually misread the signs and had a couple extra days till after the rain stopped. I was able to grind and wow the difference 4 levels can make on Hard mode is unreal. The game is still built around the concept of rock, paper scissors and not attrition but you still need the benefits of higher levels.

Proper weaknesses/resists and skills make all the difference in the world. But early on for the first dungeon a lot of the best skills are obtained in the level 10-15 range. And all your stats are really low in the single/low double digit range so a single level increase matters even more. D:

Pretty sure the shop guy mentions it the first time you walk in, and the first time you open the sell menu, a pop up appears to let you know materials are only good for selling.

They could've done an FMV I guess.

Yup, it's mentioned, even in the original.

Venfayth

segTQ.jpg

The best.

_woLf

Yukiko first time around, Rise in New Game +. That's what I'm doing.

Oh, and Marie with both of them. Pretty sure you can have anyone along with Marie.

Top Bottom