• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

On the original 3ds announcement, there was a persona promised for 3ds.

Has P5 been confirmed for ps3 yet? For some reason I just assumed it was o_O?

Was announced on Famitsu like August last year that the basic concept etc was completed, and they basically said don't hold your breath for news.
And the 3DS announcement, I think was more than likely Nintendo just making up some games ala PSP Resident Evil.

It's assumed (fact?) that the engine they built for Catherine was always intended for an HD Persona.
The engine they used was Gamebryo, most famously used for Elder Scroll's Oblivion and Fallout 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Kyon

Banned
Was announced on Famitsu like August last year that the basic concept etc was completed, and they basically said don't hold your breath for news.
And the 3DS announcement, I think was more than likely Nintendo just making up some games ala PSP Resident Evil.

That's exactly what it was lol idk why ppl actually thought it was real. It's as real as DMC PSP

iavi

It's assumed (fact?) that the engine they built for Catherine was always intended for an HD Persona.

Catherine was developed using Gamebryo. P5 is already confirmed to be using a new internally developed engine, probably making it easier to scale down to mobile.

Sophia

That's exactly what it was lol idk why ppl actually thought it was real. It's as real as DMC PSP

... But two of the SMT titles on that list (Devil Survivor and SMT) turned out to be true (Devil Survivor: Overclocked and SMT4)

... But two of the SMT titles on that list (Devil Survivor and SMT) turned out to be true (Devil Survivor: Overclocked and SMT4)

If it turns out true, it's unlikely to be made untill SMT4 and Persona 5 is completed, unless Atlus has made another division for portable Persona games but then again the regular developers/designers are busy with said games. And to be honest Overclocked is pretty much a port of a DS game, so it was partially to cash in on a new system launch.

Kyon

Banned

Isn't DS an Up port? And wasn't SMT4 already in development? If there was a persona game it would have been shown already lol it's not happening.

Astra

I just hope if they do decide to put it on a handheld platform, it's on the Vita. I would love a PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U release, but I won't hold my breath. I don't want it on 3DS, because I don't own a 3DS right now, and don't wanna buy another system anytime soon.

If P5 is on a handheld, the Vita seems like a safe bet. Atlus has been releasing all the Persona games on Sony handhelds, and building up a fanbase for them on these platforms.

I'd be completely fine with P5 on Vita. PS3/Vita crossplay would be amazing.
I'd be a lot less fine with it on 3DS, but glad to have the game, nonetheless.

If P5 is on a handheld, the Vita seems like a safe bet. Atlus has been releasing all the Persona games on Sony handhelds, and building up a fanbase for them on these platforms.

I'd be completely fine with P5 on Vita. PS3/Vita crossplay would be amazing.
I'd be a lot less fine with it on 3DS, but glad to have the game, nonetheless.

Ditto, but my reasons for Vita...no region locking =P, still waiting on Overclocked was gonna get the DS one but might as well wait now as the 3DS one will be released here (UK) soonish™ =/

Astra

Ditto, but my reasons for Vita...no region locking =P, still waiting on Overclocked was gonna get the DS one but might as well wait now as the 3DS one will be released here (UK) soonish™ =/

Soonish? So it STILL hasn't been given a date for Europe?
I feel for you guys when it comes to Atlus games. Such a shame they don't have a branch there.

tiku

Many shops like Amazon UK dated the game for February the 22th. I think it will be the official date.

I have many games to play until P4G arrives to Euroland, so i'm gonna wait and support these kind of games in our region xD

LordAlu

FINALLY!

Persona4GoldenVita.jpg
Plugged my Vita in for a full charge, gonna run some errands and then play allllll day.

Soonish? So it STILL hasn't been given a date for Europe?
I feel for you guys when it comes to Atlus games. Such a shame they don't have a branch there.
Oh don't get us started on these game should check out some of our rage on Persona 4 Arena, the euro thread, I mean we have a release date for P4 Golden as well as news of delay on Devil Survivor. Arena we get told that it is delayed due to reasons out of their (Zen United) control and I've been avoided youtube videos thus far.

I don't understand why they don't make a branch here though... :'( you're breaking our Euro heart's Atlus.
Many shops like Amazon UK dated the game for February the 22th. I thinks it will be the official date.

I have many games to play until P4G arrives to Euroland, so i'm gonna wait and support these kind of games in our region xD

I may double dip if we get a worthwhile Collector's Edition, but i must play Golden now ;)

Dantis

Devil Survivor, Catherine, 4 Etrian Oddyssey games, Radian Historia, and so on.

Face it, if Nocturne came out this gen it would have been on the DS or 3DS.

Probably not. The closest Hashino has come to working on a handheld game was coming up with the concept for Trauma Center.

I find It funny that my copy from newegg that shipped last Monday is finally going to get to me today. Thank goodness I got it from BB last Tuesday. I have been playing the crap out of this. Everything about this game is wonderful.

I love this game. I fucking love it so much. The new additions are small yet numerous. I've made a point to one-and-done the dungeons on Hard Mode and it's costing me like every item in my invo but the challenge is nice. Chie's Skull Cracker and Rampage seem to have been buffed because I'm actually landing the panic debuff and rampage hits consistently. Also, if you have Nanman Gosoku or Kintabi Gosoku (Chie Weapons) I think that there is a brown-haired kid on the second floor of the practice building that will trade weapons for them.

Yukiko Protip -
Getting her to Rank 2 (IIRC) unlocks the Mudo Skill which is very useful in the Bathhouse against the wrestler guys that look like Hulk Hogan. It works on Wealth Hands too so try and keep Yukiko with this new skill, YMMV.

New fusion attacks!

Also, stolen from twitter.

tumblr_mdtn3y6K841qh6ohxo1_500.jpg

Oh, my...

Should I get this game?

I loved P3, and tried P4, but literally stopped because of Teddie's voice alone. Is the voice different, and if not, should I just man up and move past it?

Omikaru

Anyone want real life Mystery Food X?

21791_367375353336816_92549790_n.jpg

By the way, Shadow
Kanji
is so easy in this game. I went into his dungeon on the first day it was unlocked, and I completed it in one go.

Simple strategy:

1. Have MC and Yosuke attacking Shadow Kanji and alternating to healing duties when needed. Yosuke may still have Dia at this point, and you should have a strong healing persona with the MC that can dispel most status effects and have Media.
2. Do not use any Zio attacks.
3. Have Yukiko and Chie use Maragi and Mabufu respectively. Whilst one of the muscle men will block one of these respectively, if you start out doing these from the start of the battle you'll knock both of them down and perhaps get them dizzy.
4. Do this until both the bodyguards are dead, then switch Yukiko back to healing (her healing is 50% better than the MC should be), and then have your other three lay into Shadow Kanji (being sure not to use Zio). Again, however, be ready to switch MC and Yosuke to healing duties too just in case things get a bit frantic. Chie should be the only character persistently attacking unless shit really hits the fan, and she needs to use items. But it shouldn't come to this...
5. At this point, equip your MC with a persona that's strong or nullifies electric attacks. Don't have reflect, as this'll just heal Shadow Kanji when he uses it on you.

All of this was on Normal, by the way.

It was over in 5 minutes. I don't remember it being that easy in vanilla P4.

Anyone want real life Mystery Food X?

21791_367375353336816_92549790_n.jpg

Whoa! I wonder if it has all that nasty shit that Chie and Yukiko put in it like mocha coffee and sea cucumber?

I am going the Yukiko route. Rise is endearing. Chie is a sweetie, but the new voice makes her a "no go" for me.

I really like the new Chie and here's some things I noticed:

• New Chie sounds a bit older/deeper in P4A, yet sounds younger and more energetic in P4G
  • After a certain point in the game, New Chie starts sounding older/deeper like P4A
  • New Chie in combat sounds great compared to Old Chie
  • New Chie somehow makes Yukiko sound older/deeper

Should I get this game?

I loved P3, and tried P4, but literally stopped because of Teddie's voice alone. Is the voice different, and if not, should I just man up and move past it?

Yeah, I felt sort of the same way with Rise harping at me in combat, but the characters are good enough that you eventually warm up to it all. You should man up and play it! Teddie is a great character :)

P90

Should I get this game?

The new Teddie voice is fairly close to the original. Chie's voice is vastly different. Very divided opinions on original vs. new Chie VA.

Golden has a ton of new extras.

Golbez

hlJJ0l.jpg

Hey, did Chie always have an alternate assist move for boss fights or is this new? I don't remember her ever doing anything but the Galactic Punt.

hlJJ0l.jpg

Hey, did Chie always have an alternate assist move for boss fights or is this new? I don't remember her ever doing anything but the Galatic Punt.

In the original, Chie could Galactic Punt the side bosses, effectively killing them in a single shot. It was a bit over powered! In P4G, I think it just critically hits bosses/side-bosses.

Golbez

In the original, Chie could Galactic Punt the side bosses, effectively killing them in a single shot. It was a bit over powered! In P4G, I think it just critically hits bosses/side-bosses.
I was less than impressed with the 45 damage she did to the boss, but it was still cool to see.

mollipen

Catherine was developed using Gamebryo. P5 is already confirmed to be using a new internally developed engine, probably making it easier to scale down to mobile.

Wow, okay, I feel stupid. I've always been under the belief that the engine's first use was Catherine. I thought that was one of the reasons so many were excited for it.

My Chie galactic punted one of the mini bosses that appear after you've cleared a dungeon, so that's still in P4G (unless you're talking one of the mini bosses you fight during the first run).

Wow, okay, I feel stupid. I've always been under the belief that the engine's first use was Catherine. I thought that was one of the reasons so many were excited for it.

I thought it was a test of that engine for future games, but they decided it wouldbnt work. I could be wrong

Venfayth

Pretty sure the alternate bosses that appear after you've cleared a dungeon count as just regular enemies, albeit with ridiculous stats and hidden levels, so that's why you're able to galactic punt them.

Dantis

I thought it was a test of that engine for future games, but they decided it wouldbnt work. I could be wrong

Pretty sure they never said why. Hashino just said they made a new engine for P5 so that they properly achieve their vision.

Or something like that.

Pretty sure they never said why. Hashino just said they made a new engine for P5 so that they properly achieve their vision.

Or something like that.

I like a lot of the minor changes that they made in P4G. Especially with the new skill cards. I'm hoping that Hashino keeps a majority of them in P5. Whenever that comes out...

arimanius

Broke down and downloaded this from PSN yesterday. I tried P3P a little bit but never really got into it, so this was really going to first Persona game.

Played for 6 hours last night and couldn't put it down. Everything has been fantastic. Not sure what I should be doing every day so been leaning on the voice option which is great.

Can't wait to go home and play some more.

Trigger

I wouldn't mind P5 trying to match Eternal Punishment in terms of darkness. Golden has been addictive and fun, but I miss the more serious tone the series had.

Lets fight demons AND shadows

I'd just settle for more shadow shapes. I'm fucking DONE with these dice shadows.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope they don't make P5 dark. Whole reason I didn't finish Persona 3 was because 'oh boy here's this angsty bullshit again'

I grew an attachment to the characters in 4 because they made me laugh. No one in 3 made me laugh.

Varna

I would definitely like to see something closer to P1~2 in terms of tone. The game definitely has charm but some of the anime hijinks are just awful.
That camp scene
just drags on and on. Basically any time the game attemps to be funny it just comes off as terrible. P3 had one really clear example of this
, that stupid beach scene
and it was just as bad. This game tries this way to much.

Anyhow, the second bonus boss is much easier then the first surprisingly. I hit about 23 and I had a good physical resist persona equipped and Rampage still had a chance to insta-kill the MC. I got lucky after a few tries and he went down. Immediately went after the second bonus boss and took him out on the first try.

I'm hoping for something in between for P5.

While I thought that the epic scope of P3 was a bit better than the overall storyline in P4, P4's characters outshined P3's. I suppose that it's really just a matter of preference overall though.

That said, I really hope that they take P5 out of the high school setting. I loved what Atlus did with Catherine and so I know that they can make title with more mature characters. Although it would be interesting to see someone in their 40's battle their "true selves" or something like that. Protagonist with a midlife crisis? Hmmm....

Omikaru

Or something like that.

Maybe it's so that the game is more portable. I expect it'll be on PS3, but the Wii U (how's Gamebryo on that?) and 360 can't be ruled out either, and neither can next-gen systems if backwards compatibility on them is a complete mess. Perhaps even Vita or PC too?

And by "perhaps" I mean, "I hope". It goes without saying that cross-saves on P5 would be godly.

mollipen

I hope they don't make P5 dark. Whole reason I didn't finish Persona 3 was because 'oh boy here's this angsty bullshit again'

But there's a huge difference between "dark" and "angsty". As much as I loved P4, I definitely want them to get back to the classic feel of the series. Like, have characters that are fun and cheerful like the P4 crew, and then just totally ruin their lives. *laughs*

(Puella Magi Madoka Magica instantly comes to mind for some reason.)

Top Bottom