• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
p3: CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

THESE GUNSHOTS TO THE HEAD, THEY WILL NOT HE-*dead*

ITT people finally realize Chie is annoying and blame it on the voice actress.

Real Talk general? Real Talk general.

And fuck Lisa Silverman while we're at it, the original Chie and just as fucking annoying. I wish she'd exit Stage Right so Jun would be put in the party instead of my homegirl Yukino. :|

Trigger

It's called trolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDUiUBiRLQ

I can understand how the change can be jarring if you're used to one VA but I do not think that is any better than the current VA. It's different but that's all.

To be honest, if I had to pick which was "annoying", I'd go with the original. I hope the poor lady who voiced the vita version isn't taking all this garbage to heart :(

Given that she's already done at least two games for Atlus and probably more, I think she'll be fine. :p

Venfayth

I was sooo close to beating
Teddie
in the third Dungeon. But at the end of the fight he became completely random.

I dunno if it's because I was soloing him, but he continued to use the same patterns throughout the entire fight for me. The only things time he changed is when he changed "phases" and made an announcement. He'd nullity guidance once or twice, then do his charge attack, then go back to his pattern.

TheSeks

I want a mystery team composed of Charlie, Kou, and Daisuke. Drastically better game.

I want a hentai of Seta, Kou, and Daisuke polishing them balls if you know what I mean.

GAF: You lost me.

Cloudy

Banned
It's a problem because it gives the character a different feel. I felt like the original Chie was a pretty realistic portrayal of a mature, normal girl. The new one has lost all of that maturity, and is much more tomboyish.

I also think it clashes with how down-to-Earth the other characters are.

Trust me, if you'd never heard the first VA, you wouldn't feel that way. She sounds just fine to me and I get what the character is about based on the actual dialogue (a lot of which is unvoiced). I just think it's totally unfair to say one VA can "ruin" a game and that's what I'm seeing everywhere the game is being discussed. It's really juvenile considering the current VA did a good job when she's not being unfairly judged against nostalgia..

I watched them multiple times. Again don't understand why anyone over the age of 20 would be interested in this.

Is this the part where someone quotes C.S.Lewis? and then you go "oh please!" ? Really if you don't get the appeal there isn't much to be said or can be said to make you see it. But I can probably say people above 20(and below) like it because they aren't super insecure about their maturity nor care about how stuff looks more than things like game mechanics, nor have they judged the seriousness of a story on setting or appearances(or heck even care about a story being serious or not) or what little they've seen from a review.Alternatively they may even like it dare I say because it's "kiddie" and not serious and that appeals to them, funny enough people have different interests.

I never played the original version so I don't have that nostalgic connection others might, but from that youtube video I'd say I prefer Chie's new voice. Sounds more like a high schooler.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Anyone want real life Mystery Food X?

21791_367375353336816_92549790_n.jpg

I'm getting stomach cramps by just looking at it.

Course it reminds me of this.

Just look how happy they look at the poison they've concocted.

Cloudy

Banned
I never played the original version so I don't have that nostalgic connection others might, but from that youtube video I'd say I prefer Chie's new voice. Sounds more like a high schooler.

I feel the old one is waaay too peppy but I wouldn't have said she "ruined" the original game lol

TheSeks

Basically, Dojima the game.

Dojima is what? 30-40 in 2011? Maya was 24-25 in 1999? Dojima and Maya team up for Persona 5: DAMN IT
ADACHI IS LOOSE
AND WE NEED TO POSITIVE THINK THESE PUZZLES FROM CATHERINE TO BOOST OUR S. LINKS! The adventure movie: the game.

hlhbk

andherewego.gif

Hey man, some of us don't have to show our masculinity 100% of the time, bro. It's k, though. I'll catch ya later with some deep shit like Heavy Rain and Call of Duty Black Ops 2, bro.

JUST TOUCH MY CHEST HAIR, BRO

It's got nothing to do with that. I can't stand the dude bro games. I like games that aren't serious. It might have to do with the fact I can't stand anime.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one at some point. Catherine was like Persona-lite with adults, and with block pushing replacing dungeon crawling.

At some points, you just shoot fuckers with your gun. Because you're an adult, and you're packing heat. Imagine druggies shadows.

Dantis

It's got nothing to do with that. I can't stand the dude bro games. I like games that aren't serious. It might have to do with the fact I can't stand anime.

Soejima's art is pretty non-standard for anime (He doesn't even consider anime. He considers it 'manga'.)

It's probably the only anime-styled art that I like.

At some points, you just shoot fuckers with your gun. Because you're an adult, and you're packing heat. Imagine druggies shadows.

Like Persona Trinity Soul? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDUiUBiRLQ

I can understand how the change can be jarring if you're used to one VA but I do not think that is any better than the current VA. It's different but that's all.

To be honest, if I had to pick which was "annoying", I'd go with the original. I hope the poor lady who voiced the vita version isn't taking all this garbage to heart :(

I completely disagree. Having a VA that's different is one thing , but it's another thing entirely when it affects the way the original players now think of the character in the Vita version. In the original, her voice had a charm to it that I don't find at all in P4G. That's a problem for a lot of people.

P90

I hope they don't make P5 dark. Whole reason I didn't finish Persona 3 was because 'oh boy here's this angsty bullshit again'

I grew an attachment to the characters in 4 because they made me laugh. No one in 3 made me laugh.

The bath house scene and Junpei being the lone comedy relief in P3. For me, the P3 characters don't seem to have the three-dimensionality/personality of P4's main characters. The battle systems doomed P1 and P2 IS/EP for me. Never got past about 7 hours in for them.

I much prefer P4's tone as well. The other SMT games are known for their dark tone. I don't see why Atlus couldn't make Persona their more balanced light/dark series, like P4 is. Isn't P4 the most successful Persona game?

Venfayth

That's likely the problem, then. The game has a lot of anime elements. If you can't deal with that, then this game likely isn't for you.

But I encourage you to give it a shot. The dungeon gameplay is superb, and is about 70% of what I've spent 40 hours on in this game so far.

Dantis

The bath house scene and Junpei being the lone comedy relief in P3. For me, the P3 characters don't seem to have the three-dimensionality/personality of P4's main characters. The battle systems doomed P1 and P2 IS/EP for me. Never got past about 7 hours in for them.

This is my only problem with P3. Yukari and Junpei are the only believable characters. Everyone else is a walking cliche.

So yesterday was my first chance to get away from playing P4G... Only for me to start watching the P4 anime (bought the DVD this past weekend).

Now my Solid Gold from Amazon is also arriving today (FINALLY YOU AMAZON BASTARDS!!!!) so I'll be returning my sealed copy of the game to GameStop that comes in the gold box to get some monies back.

As for the next Persona game, I want more of 4 or at least just as lighthearted really. I care more for these characters than I have with the casts of the other Persona games.

hlhbk

That's likely the problem, then. The game has a lot of anime elements. If you can't deal with that, then this game likely isn't for you.

But I encourage you to give it a shot. The dungeon gameplay is superb, and is about 70% of what I've spent 40 hours on in this game so far.

I play games primarily for story. How is the story in the game?

Cloudy

Banned
I completely disagree. Having a VA that's different is one thing , but it's another thing entirely when it affects the way the original players now think of the character in the Vita version. In the original, her voice had a charm to it that I don't find at all in P4G. That's a problem for a lot of people.

Are there any other new VAs for main characters? I doubt it because I haven't been hearing any bitching about that. I feel people are just mad about the change and would have found "missing charm" in ANY replacement VA for ANY main character...

I'm the same way and I'm liking it. A game with a potentially great story can be killed with poor characters/character development. No such problems in P4 and the story so far is interesting

Dantis

Are there any other new VAs for main characters? I doubt it because I haven't been hearing any bitching about that. I feel people are just mad about the change and would have found "missing charm" in ANY replacement VA for ANY main character...

Teddie has a new VA, but he imitates the old one.

Venfayth

The story is told mostly through dialogue, post-boss monologues, and with individual characters by spending time with them. It's definitely a character driven story. But, again, it's set in a high school and there are a lot of anime-esque tropes, so if that doesn't float your boat I don't think you'll enjoy it.

That being said, it's a great story. It's got a lot of positive themes and a rewarding ending.

I wanted to punch Junpei in the face. Only character I really liked was Kenji and Isako.

You liked Kenji?

/twitch

You're right. Because the VA's back then provided the orignal personality, charm and soul for that character with their performance, and with the new VA's, they don't capture that performance. Teddy at least comes close.

I watched them multiple times. Again don't understand why anyone over the age of 20 would be interested in this.

Unless you suddenly forgot everything about being a teenager once you hit 21 I fail to see how the plot of Persona 4 wouldn't effect you.

It's a pretty great portrayal of the life, worries, and weird and often silly hangups of a teenager.

mollipen

Then don't play it, and go about your life.

I mean, really, coming in saying "this game looks like it sucks, seems stupid that people would like it, but convince me otherwise" gives people very little reason to want to convince you otherwise.

Cloudy

Banned
Teddie has a new VA, but he imitates the old one.

Teddie is not a character that players would typically be attached to though. I mean, I don't see any Teddie avatars all over the place lol

You're right. Because the VA's back then provided the orignal personality, charm and soul for that character with their performance, and with the new VA's, they don't capture that performance. Teddy at least comes close.

Eh, I guess I'm just grateful that companies care enough to do professional VA these days. I stand with New Chie :D

Teddie is not a character that players would typically be attached to though. I mean, I don't see any Teddie avatars all over the place lol

Eh, I guess I'm just grateful that companies care enough to do professional VA these days. I stand with New Chie :D

Atlus was forced to use the new VA due a timing and project conflict with the orignal VA, not because the new VA was better.

I watched the video reviews of this game and I seriously don't get the appeal unless you are in your teens? Seems to kiddy, not serious enough, and just nothing I find interest at all. Can someone please explain the appeal to me?

How boring. Not only will I explain the appeal of the game, I'll explain how your "logic" is and your approach to the argument isn't convincing at all:

1. Maturity can be mutually exclusive to entertainment; therefore, Persona 4 can be entertaining regardless of whether or not you are a teen
  2. Appeal is a nebulous concept that differs from each person regardless of age
  3. Dismissing amusement (ie, assuming only teenagers would like Persona 4) shows a lack in understanding the two aforementioned, basic points

It could be argued that only an immature person would presume, and furthermore extend, such a silly argument. You said this:

100% not a joke.

You could have exemplified your lack of interest but you stayed around to post this and now everybody here knows how confused you are. I would recommend that you let go of this silly "age inhibition" and play Persona 4 Golden. You'll probably enjoy it.

Then don't play it, and go about your life.

I mean, really, coming in saying "this game looks like it sucks, seems stupid that people would like it, but convince me otherwise" gives people very little reason to want to convince you otherwise.

Supporting the evidence with authority :)
I'm still Chie's lawyer though, shidoshi.

Salaadin

I said this when this thread was first posted:
I hear this game is good, gaf. It better be or youll be sorry!!
Youre safe this time, gaf!

I got it last Tuesday and have 29 hours put into it. Whats wrong with me!? I havent been so hooked by a game like this in a long time.

Dantis

Haha, I guess you weren't around when people first heard the new Teddie in Arena.

It was so bad that Atlus had to release a PR statement about it.

Mr.Fresh

I dunno if it's because I was soloing him, but he continued to use the same patterns throughout the entire fight for me. The only things time he changed is when he changed "phases" and made an announcement. He'd nullity guidance once or twice, then do his charge attack, then go back to his pattern.

It's like he stopped using mind charge and silence and went straight for the kill once his health got low.

yami4ct

Haha, I guess you weren't around when people first heard the new Teddie in Arena.

It was so bad that Atlus had to release a PR statement about it.

That was scary as hell. I really like Teddie and hearing Yosuke Teddie in the Arena preview was quite a shock. Luckily, new Teddie is close enough to not be a bother in Arena or Golden. Still, that was a freaky couple days there.

Top Bottom