• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Venfayth

I'd just settle for more shadow shapes. I'm fucking DONE with these dice shadows.

Rhombicuboctahedron shadows.

240px-Rhombicuboctahedron.jpg

I just wanted to use that word, ok?

Trigger

Question about fusing personas. Is there any reason to keep the initial personas for each character?

Hmm? The cast can't change personae until their social links are maxed. I've kept Izangi with me all game, but that was more a self-imposed challenge. Feel free to switch it up.

Jucksalbe

Banned
My copy from VGP arrived today. About 1 week to Germany, pretty fast. Can't wait to play (I will have to change Vita accounts again before I do, though).

Cloudy

Banned
Hmm? The cast can't change personae until their social links are maxed. I've kept Izangi with me all game, but that was more a self-imposed challenge. Feel free to switch it up.

I did my first fuse just now and mixed Izanagi with the fairy to get another one female one

Chie's new voice is so annoying and stuck up sounding that I don't even want to try to have a relationship with that character anymore. It would be like dating female Yosuke but worse. It's like the cute girl that is awesome in every way until she opens her mouth to speak.

Chavelo

You guys are making me afraid of buying the game....

I don't want to mind about Chie's new VA but you guys are making it look like it breaks the game. :(

Dark or not, you gotta appreciate that Persona 4 is written to tone. Persona 4 isn't dark per se, but it has moments that feel quite mature and exemplifies mature aspects that in many cases are relate-able to the player. Persona 4, in all of it's colorful and jovial glory, can be a mature game and that matters more than being dark or visceral, two elements that are often shoe-horned into a game to make it seem more mature than it actually is.

I notice a lot of talk about the light or dark tones of the game - I have something in store for the spoiler thread and I can't wait to talk about it with you guys :)

My Chie galactic punted one of the mini bosses that appear after you've cleared a dungeon, so that's still in P4G (unless you're talking one of the mini bosses you fight during the first run).

Well that's nice to know - another reason to keep Chie around :)

Dantis

I like a lot of the minor changes that they made in P4G. Especially with the new skill cards. I'm hoping that Hashino keeps a majority of them in P5. Whenever that comes out...

I think Skill Cards are very likely, considering they were in both P3P and P4G (Which are obviously the two most recent titles).

Whatever they do though, I'm certain it'll be amazing. Hashino directed Nocturne, DDS1, P3, P4 and Catherine. That's probably like the best track record for RPGs ever.

Tangeroo

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Chie's new voice. I wouldn't say I prefer it, but it has its own charm. She sounds like Jessie from Toy Story.

Venfayth

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Chie's new voice. I wouldn't say I prefer it, but it has its own charm. She sounds like Jessie from Toy Story.

Others have said it as well. It's just the people who like it tend to be quieter than those who dislike it.

But there's a huge difference between "dark" and "angsty". As much as I loved P4, I definitely want them to get back to the classic feel of the series. Like, have characters that are fun and cheerful like the P4 crew, and then just totally ruin their lives. *laughs*

(Puella Magi Madoka Magica instantly comes to mind for some reason.)

Sounds like Persona 2 Innocent Sin. now if only they could do something about that gameplay...

Dantis

I think my only request for P5 is that Meguro creates some new arrangments for old tracks.

Seriously, P3, FES, P3P and P4 have some of my absolute favourite music in gaming. It seems crazy to me that the only track he ever carries over is Poem of Everyone's Soul. Where's my Wiping All Out remix, Shoji?

Maybe it's so that the game is more portable. I expect it'll be on PS3, but the Wii U (how's Gamebryo on that?) and 360 can't be ruled out either, and neither can next-gen systems if backwards compatibility on them is a complete mess. Perhaps even Vita or PC too?

And by "perhaps" I mean, "I hope". It goes without saying that cross-saves on P5 would be godly.

I have a feeling it'll just be 360 and PS3.

I think my only request for P5 is that Meguro creates some new arrangments for old tracks.

Seriously, P3, FES, P3P and P4 have some of my absolute favourite music in gaming. It seems crazy to me that the only track he ever carries over is Poem of Everyone's Soul. Where's my Wiping All Out remix, Shoji?

Swiping All Trout

hlhbk

I watched the video reviews of this game and I seriously don't get the appeal unless you are in your teens? Seems to kiddy, not serious enough, and just nothing I find interest at all. Can someone please explain the appeal to me?

Cloudy

Banned
You guys are making me afraid of buying the game....

I don't want to mind about Chie's new VA but you guys are making it look like it breaks the game. :(

This is getting fucking insane. I don't see how the VA is worse than any other dub. She sounds fine to me and as you can see by my avatar, Chie is my favorite character so far.

Note: I have never heard the ps2 version of Chie but I really don't think it matters

Dantis

This is getting fucking insane. I don't see how the VA is worse than any other dub. She sounds fine to me and as you can see by my avatar, Chie is my favorite character so far.

Note: I have never heard the ps2 version of Chie but I really don't think it matters

Yes it does.

But it's not game-ruining. It's just a mighty shame.

Venfayth

I watched the video reviews of this game and I seriously don't get the appeal unless you are in your teens? Seems to kiddy, not serious enough, and just nothing I find interest at all. Can someone please explain the appeal to me?

The story is set in a high school, so there's that to take in to consideration, but the gameplay is probably the best of any jrpg out there (/opinion)

Trigger

lol, you obviously weren't watching those reviews close enough. I'd think they explain what is and isn't appealing about the game. I don't even understand posts like this.

Cloudy

Banned

It combines the best qualities of 2 entertainment mediums that I like (Anime and RPGs). It also captures what makes for a great game/book/tv/movie etc. Likeable characters with great development and interaction between said characters. Add in nice art and music and you have the style to support the substance of a solid RPG gameplay system..

hlhbk

lol, you obviously weren't watching those reviews close enough. I'd think they explain what is and isn't appealing about the game. I don't even understand posts like this.

I watched them multiple times. Again don't understand why anyone over the age of 20 would be interested in this.

Wonko_C

I'd like to have an option to switch to Japanese voices but they're all fine in English too, including Chie, she's only annoying when doing her Bruce Lee impressions. (WAA-TAAA!)

Trigger

I watched them multiple times. Again don't understand why anyone over the age of 20 would be interested in this.

I think Cloudy's post best sums it up. Given, I was in my teens when I first played Persona 4, but I don't see why one has to be in their teens to like a story set in high school. Does a person have to be in their 30s to like a Metal Gear Solid game?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Not enough guns and brown and grey with bloom for you, brah? It's okay, I understand completely.

P3 > P4: ZOINKS! MYSTERY MACHINE TIEM!

Yes it does.

Yeah, going in without a comparison is good. New voice is okay like 70% of the time and abysmal the remainder of it, notably in dungeons and when excited. I think she tried, I just don't think she is very good based on the three games I have heard her voice. She has a notable lisp and her voice can get whiny. When she uses what I assume is her natural voice for run of the mill dialogue she is fine.

Anyways, not game breaking, but Chie downgrading from top tier to mid tier for sure.

Anyways, the change to dungeons are from p4 not Golden right? What I mean is, as opposed to FES, knocking an enemy down doesn't lose a turn, hitting a down enemy doesn't flip them up, no way to leave dungeon without item, etc? All physical damages collapsed into one category?

Anyways, played P4 new, but lots of P3 in the interim.

Kyon

Banned

Lord is testing me I can't

Cloudy

Banned
Yes it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDUiUBiRLQ

I can understand how the change can be jarring if you're used to one VA but I do not think that is any better than the current VA. It's different but that's all.

To be honest, if I had to pick which was "annoying", I'd go with the original. I hope the poor lady who voiced the vita version isn't taking all this garbage to heart :(

Dantis

Anyways, the change to dungeons are from p4 not Golden right? What I mean is, as opposed to FES, knocking an enemy down doesn't lose a turn, hitting a down enemy doesn't flip them up, no way to leave dungeon without item, etc? All physical damages collapsed into one category?

Anyways, played P4 new, but lots of P3 in the interim.

Correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDUiUBiRLQ

I can understand how the change can be jarring if you're used to one VA but I do not think that is any better than the current VA. It's different but that's all.

To be honest, if I had to pick which was "annoying", I'd go with the original. I hope the poor lady who voiced the vita version isn't taking all this garbage to heart :(

It's a problem because it gives the character a different feel. I felt like the original Chie was a pretty realistic portrayal of a mature, normal girl. The new one has lost all of that maturity, and is much more tomboyish.

I also think it clashes with how down-to-Earth the other characters are.

Top Bottom