• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

I said this when this thread was first posted:

Youre safe this time, gaf!

I got it last Tuesday and have 29 hours put into it. Whats wrong with me!? I havent been so hooked by a game like this in a long time.

It's basically a real-life simulator, only set in Japan and you're a high school student...and lots of pop music.

In other words: it's a great game that's tons of fun.

Venfayth

It's like he stopped using mind charge and silence and went straight for the kill once his health got low.

Mighta just got unlucky. I only got close to death when he did regular "Attack" right after the Rakunda -> Multitarget physical attack (can't remember name).

I dunno though :O

Dantis

That was scary as hell. I really like Teddie and hearing Yosuke Teddie in the Arena preview was quite a shock. Luckily, new Teddie is close enough to not be a bother in Arena or Golden. Still, that was a freaky couple days there.

As you can probably imagine, I was one of the people complaining about it like there was no tomorrow.

I'm still not entirely happy with his Arena performance, but it's a heck of a lot better than that trailer let on.

His Golden performance is actually really good though. Feels like it's as close to Wittenberg as can be without actually being Wittenberg.

lmao link?

http://gematsu.com/2012/05/atlus-comments-on-persona-4-arena-voice-cast

I dont get the hype for the gold edition, seems way overpriced

Dantis, he sounds mostly fine, but do an enemy scan. Some of those lines are frighteningly off...

I know. That doesn't mean someone can't think she sounds better than the ps2 VA. I happen to think that...

I never said one couldn't think that. But there are many, many people that don't like it at all and think it's inferior. Does it make it a bad game? Not at all, but for many, it doesn't make it nearly as good as what it could have been had they used the original voice actors.

So there is no comprehensive guide for this version of the game? If I follow a regular P4 guide, what will I be missing? What other things should I look out for throughout the main game?

Dantis

I dont get the hype for the gold edition, seems way overpriced

Dantis, he sounds mostly fine, but do an enemy scan. Some of those lines are frighteningly off...

Yeah, some of his lines are off, but most of the ones I loved in P4 are strong enough for me to laugh out loud here. "Nice work, huh? That's what happens when you guys leave me here alone and I get bored!"

So there is no comprehensive guide for this version of the game? If I follow a regular P4 guide, what will I be missing? What other things should I look out for throughout the main game?

Just finish the Marie S Link and you'll see everything outside of whatever S Links you miss.

yami4ct

As you can probably imagine, I was one of the people complaining about it like there was no tomorrow.

I'm still not entirely happy with his Arena performance, but it's a heck of a lot better than that trailer let on.

His Golden performance is actually really good though. Feels like it's as close to Wittenberg as can be without actually being Wittenberg.

http://gematsu.com/2012/05/atlus-comments-on-persona-4-arena-voice-cast

I wasn't ecstatic about him in Arena, but it was acceptable. Golden is close to perfect. He misses here or there and sometimes gives a different, but perfectly fine, read on a line, but overall he's great in Golden.

Cloudy

Banned
I never said one couldn't think that. But there are many, many people that don't like it at all and think it's inferior. Does it make it a bad game? Not at all, but for many, it doesn't make it nearly as good as what it could have been had they used the original voice actors.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'll just say this: If the P4G actress had done the original, and the old VA had done P4G, we'd be hearing a lot of the SAME people complaining about how the game is worse off for it lol

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'll just say this: If the P4G actress had done the original, and the old VA had done P4G, we'd be hearing a lot of the SAME people complaining about how the game is worse off for it lol

Of course. It has nothing to do with the VA herself more than it does a new VA changing the personality and character that a original VA set in place.

yami4ct

It's part of the problem with a game like P4 having such a cult following. Any change is going to be met with huge resistance.

Kyon

Banned
I just want the pouch. Everything else would look like gross mac&cheese with the white vita.

That's actually what I want this for too. But they are charging the same price of the Solid Gold edition for just the pouch online o__o I'd rather get the solid gold

Cloudy

Banned
Of course. It has nothing to do with the VA herself more than it does a new VA changing the personality and character that a original VA set in place.

A lot of folks complaining aren't admitting this (that the problem is in their heads ^_^) and instead complaining that the VA is horrible or changes the character in any way (she's not and she doesn't)

It's part of the problem with a game like P4 having such a cult following. Any change is going to be met with huge resistance.

This is true and I guess it's a good problem to have for a niche game maker

Dantis

A lot of folks complaining aren't admitting this (that the problem is in their heads ;)) and instead complaining that the VA is horrible.

I do think the VA is horrible.

I think if it had been the original VA, I just wouldn't have liked Chie as much, and would have still disliked her when the other VA was implemented in Golden.

Revisionist history is fun. I say we would have far fewer Chie a avatars and fan boys if the new voice was the original, and therefore less people to upset.

Cloudy

Banned
Revisionist history is fun. I say we would have far fewer Chie a avatars and fan boys if the new voice was the original, and therefore less people to upset.

I doubt that. What if the game had no VA? Wouldn't Chie still be a fan favorite? The dialogue and actions make the character not the voice!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Where does it say 700+ on there? Also it's probably abandoned/cancelled pre-orders

Click add to cart.
Then in quantity, type in 999.
It will tell you that there aren't that many in stock and it adjusts it to how many are actually in stock.

I just did it and there are 699 left now. lol

I doubt that. What if the game had no VA? Wouldn't Chie still be a fan favorite? The dialogue and actions make the character not the voice!

Priceisrightwinningsound.wav

Kyon

Banned
OMG it says out for delivery now. Does that mean I will get it today? I live in Orlando which is where it is lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Correct.

It's a problem because it gives the character a different feel. I felt like the original Chie was a pretty realistic portrayal of a mature, normal girl. The new one has lost all of that maturity, and is much more tomboyish.

I also think it clashes with how down-to-Earth the other characters are.
Thats funny because she IS tomboyish.

The other Chie sounded like a 35 years old woman than an actual schoolgirl who's into kung-fu movies.

Alfredo

Chie's new voice seems to channel Shin Chan at times, which I find really...not pleasant. And that's funny, 'cause Shin Chan is voiced by Rise's voice actress.

Erin Fitzgerald isn't a poor voice actress. I loved her in Catherine. I just don't like her take on Chie. If Golden had been my first exposure to Persona 4, I probably wouldn't have gravitated to her as my favorite character as I did initially.

The whole "Oh, Tracey Rooney didn't sound like a high schooler" thing never really made sense to me. It's probably because I don't know what high schoolers sound like anymore, but none of the other characters gave me a specific "young person vibe." The kids barely act like high schoolers anyway, since they're off solving murders, saving the world, and not smoking pot. :p

A lot of folks complaining aren't admitting this (that the problem is in their heads ^_^) and instead complaining that the VA is horrible or changes the character in any way (she's not and she doesn't)

This is true and I guess it's a good problem to have for a niche game maker

The only thing in their heads is the way Chie's character was established for her American voice in the original P4.

If they are complaining that the VA is horrible in emulating the performance of the original Chie and changes the perspective that fans originally had for Chie, then they are right. If they are complaining that she's just naturally bad as a VA, then they are wrong.

yami4ct

While I don't think the new VA is bad at all, mainly because I'm one of the few who like it better, you're going too far the other way. Of course the voice is as important, if not more than the dialogue in establishing a character's personality. Line delivery makes a huge difference in how you perceive a character's personality.

Cloudy

Banned
Getting back to Persona talk...I hope Persona 5 does away with the silent protagonist. It's ridiculous in this day and age..

Come at me!

yami4ct

Getting back to Persona talk...I hope Persona 5 does away with the silent protagonist. It's ridiculous in this day and age..

Come at me!

Nope. Part of what's great about the silent protagonist is it allows you to define yourself as the character. To change that would make it a much less immersive experience for me. I don't mind the protagonist having a voice in side media, but let me define his personality in the game.

I'll just say this: If the P4G actress had done the original, and the old VA had done P4G, we'd be hearing a lot of the SAME people complaining about how the game is worse off for it lol

Yeah I think so too. On a side note, IIRC, the Rank 9 and 10 were not voiced in the original version of the game - they are voiced in P4G and I got some kind of illusory correlation or w/e when I heard voices in them.

Cloudy

Banned
Nope. Part of what's great about the silent protagonist is it allows you to define yourself as the character. To change that would make it a much less immersive experience for me. I don't mind the protagonist having a voice in side media, but let me define his personality in the game.

I guess I've never really taken RPG immersion seriously. I never give the characters my actual name and I like to watch the story unfold instead of trying to imagine myself in it.

Nupe!

I like choosing my snarky-ass answers for myself, thank you.

Even if they want folks to really "role play", I'd like to have the responses voiced like in Mass Effect. That works well IMO. Especially when all the other characters are talking. Mute characters jest seem goofy in 2012

yami4ct

I guess I've never really taken RPG immersion seriously. I never give the characters my name and I like to watch the story unfold instead of trying to imagine myself in it. Even if they want folks to really "role play", I'd like to have the responses voiced like in Mass Effect. That worked well IMO...

I disagree. For role playing, I still don't see Shepard as "me" in the Mass Effect series like I do in the persona games. He still has voiced dialogue that I don't get to determine. Hearing the protagonist giver a different read on a line than I read it also breaks that.

I guess we play different as I always name persona protagonists after myself, haha.

Even if they want folks to really "role play", I'd like to have the responses voiced like in Mass Effect. That works well IMO. Especially when all the other characters are talking. Mute characters jest seem goofy in 2012

I don't want hero VO, but I wouldn't mind the VO if it was the hero saying the option I chose the hero to say.

I always give my MC a unique name so that the immersion for me is really high. But yeah, I kinda do wish that JYB was voicing the answers I pick, it'd be even better for the immersion.

So only if they do the "Mass Effect" style dialogue tree with actual voiced lines, then I'd be okay so long as it doesn't sound lifeless... I want some snark and stuff.

Astra

I disagree, at least when it comes to me. Looking at her past (teenage girl) performances, I find all the ones I've heard her voice to be rather annoying. Her Chie is just bad for a lot of the story scenes, due to how she over emphasizes all her lines.

As I stated before, she is fine as Quark though. Seems she is just bad (to my ears) as teenage girls.

Dantis

Come at me!

Not going to happen. Meguro (Who directed the P2 remakes) was considering giving Maya a voice in EP, but decided that MegaTen protags should always be silent.

Thats funny because she IS tomboyish.

The other Chie sounded like a 35 years old woman than an actual schoolgirl who's into kung-fu movies.

No, she isn't. She has a couple of traits that aren't feminine but is overall still a very feminine character.

Top Bottom