• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

Getting back to Persona talk...I hope Persona 5 does away with the silent protagonist. It's ridiculous in this day and age..

Come at me!

It won't happen, but I'm open to it. It's always weird to see everyone react to Yu as if he were talking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You could totally do a Super Sentai Persona game. Morph into suits for hunting shadows.

Basically a less serious Strange Journey. I want a new Strange Journey.

I doubt that. What if the game had no VA? Wouldn't Chie still be a fan favorite? The dialogue and actions make the character not the voice!

I am a broken record at this point, so I will try and refrain from chiming in when the subject matter comes up next.

I barely even remember the old Chie voice. In fact that is true for most of the voices, Teddie and Nanako are really the only ones that made a long term impression. And I'm therefore glad they tried to emulate old Teddie rather than take a new tactic. In fact, I probably remember the Himdaisy comic voices more than the actual ones, because I have seen it more often and more recently.

Regardless, I quite liked Chie as a character. I like her less because I don't like the new voice. I just find it to be not good, not even in comparison to the other voice. It sounds like a woman putting on a teenager voice to me, and not in a good way. And I think it is way over the top for excitement scenes. I am listening to an interview, and certain things are there in the actor's normal voice, like the lisp, but she doesn't have a bad voice.

I haven't seen her in Catherine. She made me hate Midori in Devil Survivor Overclocked, but that voice is much more exaggerated than her Chie. I thought she was fine as Quark.

Anyways, final word is I don't dislike it because it is new or different. I dislike it because I don't think its good. I am glad you like it and it doesn't bother you as much as it does me. Anyways, I'm trying to work through my issues!

I disagree, at least when it comes to me. Looking at her past (teenage girl) performances, I find all the ones I've heard her voice to be rather annoying. Her Chie is just bad for a lot of the story scenes, due to how she over emphasizes all her lines.

As I stated before, she is fine as Quark though. Seems she is just bad (to my ears) as teenage girls.

Bro-five!

Anybody have a link to her Catherine voice? I have the game, but haven't played it yet.

mollipen

Nope. Part of what's great about the silent protagonist is it allows you to define yourself as the character. To change that would make it a much less immersive experience for me. I don't mind the protagonist having a voice in side media, but let me define his personality in the game.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but people who put themselves into the game weird me out. *laughs* I don't want to play me, I want to play a character, and help direct that character in the way I think they should go.

It'll never happen, but I want something more along the lines of Mass Effect. Still have that deep option for choosing what path the P5 protagonist takes, but then create actual personality, character, and whatnot.

I just hate the idea of a silent protagonist. If the game lets me fully customize their look, and decide how they're going to act in every situation, then fine. Otherwise, they're a pre-conceived character that isn't me, doesn't act like me, doesn't look like me, and doesn't act according to my choices outside of specific situation—there's no reason not to give them a voice. (Unless Atlus wants to keep giving me the P3P FeMC, since she's the closest option to me that we've ever been given. *heh*)

Cloudy

Banned
I never thought about it from a female's point of view. That makes the immersion-factor seem pretty silly in P4 (social link stuff) :p

Curufinwe

Even if they make the P5 protagonist silent I hope they give him or her a name that cannot be changed. That way all the other characters can use it in sentences some of the time, rather than relying only on "Senpai", "Sensei", "Partner", etc.

Venfayth

Even if they make the P5 protagonist silent I hope they give him or her a name that cannot be changed. That way all the other characters can use it in sentences some of the time, rather than relying only on "Senpai", "Sensei", "Partner", etc.

I really enjoy being able to name my character what I want though.

charlie

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Truth be told, I wish they'd get rid of the honorifics. They just don't sound natural in English.

Venfayth

Truth be told, I wish they'd get rid of the honorifics. They just don't sound natural in English.

I can't decide if I agree with this or not. On one hand, it's a japanese developed game set in japan. On the other hand, I do agree they don't really sound natural and are a bit strange.

I like naming my protagonist what I want. But honorifics have gotta go, just stick to -kun/-chan and we're cool.

Paznos

My copy is finally out for delivery after shipping on the 20th from Newegg, of course this is the one time the game ships out of another state and didn't get it the next day like I always do.

Cloudy

Banned
I like naming my protagonist what I want. But honorifics have gotta go, just stick to -kun/-chan and we're cool.

They all have no place in an english translation and need to go but the vocal minority would throw a fit (I'm not only speaking of Persona fans in this case) :p

Dantis

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but people who put themselves into the game weird me out. *laughs* I don't want to play me, I want to play a character, and help direct that character in the way I think they should go.

It'll never happen, but I want something more along the lines of Mass Effect. Still have that deep option for choosing what path the P5 protagonist takes, but then create actual personality, character, and whatnot.

I just hate the idea of a silent protagonist. If the game lets me fully customize their look, and decide how they're going to act in every situation, then fine. Otherwise, they're a pre-conceived character that isn't me, doesn't act like me, doesn't look like me, and doesn't act according to my choices outside of specific situation—there's no reason not to give them a voice. (Unless Atlus wants to keep giving me the P3P FeMC, since she's the closest option to me that we've ever been given. *heh*)

In terms of Persona games, I disagree.

In some games, characters like that work great. In The Witcher 2, for example, Geralt is such a great character, but I don't want Persona games driven by that kind of thing. In The Witcher 2, Geralt is the focus. He's cool, strong, level-headed, but also flawed. He is a really great protagonist. But this means that even though there are other great protagonists, Geralt is in the spotlight, always.

The same applies for Mass Effect. Shepard (Who is a much less interesting character than Geralt) is the focus. Everything that happens, it's because of Shepard.

Persona is a game based around a group. By removing almost all of the personality from the lead, it allows us to focus on the actions of the whole, rather that just the protagonist. Almost everything great that happens in Persona 3 and 4 is not because of the protagonist, and it makes for much more interesting, believable characters because of that.

EDIT: I like the honorifics, simply because it's a constant reminder that the game is set in Japan. Ask where Catherine is set, and be amazed at the variety of answers (Though it seems to me that that is also set in Japan).

They all have no place in an english translation and need to go but the vocal minority would throw a fit (I'm not only speaking of Persona fans in this case) :p

They don't it's true, but considering the setting (which is usually Japan anyways), -kun/-chan are the least "offensive" as they're basically showing close familiarity really.

And yes, agreed with the vocal minority.

...Besides, I like it when I'm called Kale-kun in the game :3

Cloudy

Banned
Persona is a game based around a group. By removing almost all of the personality from the lead, it allows us to focus on the actions of the whole, rather that just the protagonist. Almost everything great that happens in Persona 3 and 4 is not because of the protagonist, and it makes for much more interesting, believable characters because of that.

Call me crazy but I'd like to have an interesting protagonist AND cast. I just don't see how the main character having a personality could take away from a supporting cast who also have good personalities.

Think of a game like Lunar. It could have worked if Alex was a mute (cos the cast was great) but Alex's personality only added to it :p

LProtag

I only made it part way through the PS2 version of the game because I honestly just got way too busy to play, haha.

I'm really excited for my Vita to come in on Wednesday. I already have a copy of the game waiting.

This game is going to be my feel good therapy, right now I'm being crushed with more work than I've ever had before in my teacher certification program and I'm freaking out so much. I can't wait for it to be over for a month later this week so that I can just relax and enjoy this game.

Raxious

man, I'm dying to play this game. There's a store here selling the game, but as I'm still waiting for my import it's so hard not to go and buy it again xD.

Lucent

My $30 copy from Newegg just came in today and it actually came with the vita skin. I'm kind of surprised since it wasn't advertised. Has anybody else used it?

Kyon

Banned
My $30 copy from Newegg just came in today and it actually came with the vita skin. I'm kind of surprised since it wasn't advertised. Has anybody else used it?

It is advertised in the description lol... Check your tracking info and you will see it on the title

Alfredo

You don't have to role play yourself, though. You can play the role of Charlie Tunoku, or, in my case, Theodore Revenge. I like naming my characters.

That's why they should make a Persona game that takes place outside of Japan. >_> It'll probably never happen, but it'd be super cool if they did. I keep saying how I'd love to see a Japanese perspective on American school life.

Dantis

Call me crazy but I'd like to have an interesting protagonist AND cast. I just don't see how the main character having a personality could take away from a supporting cast who also have good personalities.

Think of a game like Lunar. It could have worked if Alex was a mute (cos the cast was great) but Alex's personality only added to it :p

I haven't played Lunar, but I can't think of a game with a cast as strong as Persona 4's whilst also having a strong lead.

If P4MC was a proper character, a lot of the scenes would have to compensate to include him, which would lessen their memorability for the other characters.

Kyon

Banned
Whenwvfkwvdiwdveknsqkgkstb

It's here!!!!!!

And I have to go to work in an hour. FML

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Cloudy

Banned
If P4MC was a proper character, a lot of the scenes would have to compensate to include him, which would lessen their memorability for the other characters.

Just wondering, would you also like movies with bland main characters and great supporting ones? Cos I don't see how a story-based RPG is any different..

PS: Lunar is a must-play if you can look past it's old-school graphics and gameplay. Try to play the Workings Designs version. I heard the translation is very different on the psp (xseed version) and I can't vouch for that since I haven't played it lol

:O someone with more time than me. are you playing on very hard?

No, just on Hard. I wanted to play through the game once by not stressing out on making sure I get everything done and just experience the entire story since this is my first time playing through P4. I plan to replay it on Very Hard and maxing all social links on my second play through.

Venfayth

If your choices as a player have any impact at all in regards to the story, the character himself has to compensate for those choices.

No, just on Hard. I wanted to play through the game once by not stressing out on making sure I get everything done and just experience the entire story since this is my first time playing through P4. I plan to replay it on Very Hard and maxing all social links on my second play through.

Ahh I see, good shit :) Hope you're enjoying.

I think that Persona 4 approaches the silent protagonist very well - I think of it moreso of an available extension of the player's ego rather than a cipher character.

A key element that Persona 4 lacks, and I hope Persona 5 has, is gender and/or sex relate-ability and your option to choose as such. And they shouldn't be lazy like some instances found in Dragon Age or Mass Effect - keep the NPCs established as is, just let me be a lesbian, dammit :)

Cloudy

Banned
Lol, that is completely different.

How so?

Personally I've realized that I don't really like most videogames. I like the stories and characters and that's what keeps me playing. Persona 4 is like an anime or movie to me. A mute protagonist spoils my immersion in a way opposite of yours ;)

Top Bottom