• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

This NEW INTRO I'm SLAYED

52b0f867.gif

I love it. I didn’t care for it at all after the first time I saw it, especially the somehow abrupt sounding ending of the intro, but after a while, it started getting better and better. Now, I’m watching it every time I boot up! Love the running characters with the title appearing at the end too, so pretty.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
A key element that Persona 4 lacks, and I hope Persona 5 has, is gender and/or sex relate-ability and your option to choose as such. And they shouldn't be lazy like some instances found in Dragon Age or Mass Effect - keep the NPCs established as is, just let me be a lesbian, dammit :)

Is there something you're not telling us? :p

also loljets

Astra

I love it. I didn’t care for it at all after the first time I saw it, especially the somehow abrupt sounding ending of the intro, but after a while, it started getting better and better. Now, I’m watching it every time I boot up! Love the running characters with the title appearing at the end too, so pretty.

Same! I still don't like the animation for the character's dancing, but I enjoy the music. Also love the stars coming together and the P4 logo coming forth.

Dantis

How so?

Personally I've realized that I don't really like most videogames. I like the stories and characters and that's what keeps me playing. Persona 4 is like an anime or movie to me. A mute protagonist spoils my immersion in a way opposite of yours ;)

Because you have no interaction with a film. So, the first film that comes to mind when we're discussing memorable characters for me is Ocean's Eleven. Danny Ocean is the protagonist. He's quick-witted, cool, crafty... He's a great character.

But when I watch it, I'm watching Danny Ocean and the rest of the characters. In a videogame, the character you play (Particularly in something like Persona) is your view of the world. We experience the world through the protagonist, and it's how we interact with it. It's completely different.

Also, I checked what the original Lunar was on... Sega CD? Yeah, not going to get the chance to play that, unfortunately. :p

Same! I still don't like the animation for the character's dancing, but I enjoy the music. Also love the stars coming together and the P4 logo coming forth.

The music is definitely decent (Though still my least favourite Meguro opening vocal track). I think most complaints are around the actual video. Certainly, mine were.

Cloudy

Banned
Also, I checked what the original Lunar was on... Sega CD? Yeah, not going to get the chance to play that, unfortunately. :p

It's on playstation as well as its sequel :)

ps: Disagree on the movie point but let's not argue :D

Astra

The music is definitely decent (Though still my least favourite Meguro opening vocal track). I think most complaints are around the actual video. Certainly, mine were.

Agreed, it's definitely the weakest out of P2, P3, FES, P3P and original P4. I don't recall Persona.
I actually really like the new battle theme, and am really glad the original still plays when you get a surprise attack.

Dantis

Agreed, it's definitely the weakest out of P2, P3, FES, P3P and original P4. I don't recall Persona.
I actually really like the new battle theme, and am really glad the original still plays when you get a surprise attack.

The PSP remake of P1 was Dream of Butterfly. It was good. :p

Lucent

This NEW INTRO I'm SLAYED

52b0f867.gif

OMG THE NEW MENU

THE NOSTALGIA
52b0f867.gif

lol I just watched it too. Damn the OLED really lends itself to that really well. Pretty amazing intro video. I waited at the title screen to see if there was a 2nd one but sadly there's not. Oh well. Not sure what difficulty to go with. I don't want it to be too easy but I don't wanna have to grind a ridiculous amount of levels to beat something.

EDIT: Going with Hard. Eff all the things!!

lol I just watched it too. Damn the OLED really lends itself to that really well. Pretty amazing intro video. I waited at the title screen to see if there was a 2nd one but sadly there's not. Oh well. Not sure what difficulty to go with. I don't want it to be too easy but I don't wanna have to grind a ridiculous amount of levels to beat something.

The original intro is in the menu where are all the videos. Dunno the name.

Curufinwe

I like naming my protagonist what I want. But honorifics have gotta go, just stick to -kun/-chan and we're cool.

Kanji, Rise, Teddie and Naoto's dialogue would not be improved if they couldn't call the main character Senpai or Sensei, and had to do even more of the awkward talking-to-someone-but-never-using-their actual-name routine.

Kanji, Rise, Teddie and Naoto's dialogue would not be improved if they couldn't call the main character Senpai or Sensei, and had to do even more of the awkward talking-to-someone-but-never-using-their actual-name routine.

The main crux of the matter is that though they are showing 'honor' to an elder, it's a bit odd in that he's also a close friend to them.

I understand that yes, they want to keep the honorifics but what we're saying that in the next installment, if the cast is pretty much the same age you don't need to have -Senpai/-Sensei when doing the English translation, since English doesn't have that. -kun/-chan will most likely stick around because all those really illustrate is close affection to a particular someone.

jiggles

Banned
This shipped 10 days ago now and still hasn't arrived.

I'd be jealous of you all playing it, if I wasn't filled with such endless, endless rage.

Curufinwe

The main crux of the matter is that though they are showing 'honor' to an elder, it's a bit odd in that he's also a close friend to them.

I think it makes perfect sense for Teddie to call him Sensei, given the situation. I seem to recall there being an amusing scene where Yosuke complains about Teddie not calling him Sensei, too. I guess he could call him Master or something, but that doesn't sound like it would be an improvement.

I understand that yes, they want to keep the honorifics but what we're saying that in the next installment, if the cast is pretty much the same age you don't need to have -Senpai/-Sensei when doing the English translation, since English doesn't have that. -kun/-chan will most likely stick around because all those really illustrate is close affection to a particular someone.

It's not a game based in an English speaking culture. For me it would be weird not to have it as those honorifics explain to me their position and status compared to those around them.

LegatoB

It's not a game based in an English speaking culture. For me it would be weird not to have it as those honorifics explain to me their position and status compared to those around them.
It's impossible to figure out character relationships from scenes or dialog without little Japanese terms which aren't even always accurate to the Japanese original being thrown in.

Why the hell is Kuma called "Teddie," anyway?

Golbez

It's impossible to figure out character relationships from scenes or dialog without little Japanese terms which aren't even always accurate to the Japanese original being thrown in.

Look up Theodore Roosevelt and "Teddy Bear."

I think it makes perfect sense for Teddie to call him Sensei, given the situation. I seem to recall there being an amusing scene where Yosuke complains about Teddie not calling him Sensei, too.

Again, I see why they would keep it but again, it doesn't always need to be there to me since they speak in familiar patterns. But we were actually discussing what we wanted to see in P5, not so much as P4, since the dialogue in P4 is not going to change.

Trigger

Um...this is supposed to be sarcastic, no?

Cornbread78

So how difficult is this game if I play for my first time on Very Hard? Can you farm/Grind levels? I'm not sure how this game works being a Persona virgin and all...

So how difficult is this game if I play for my first time on Very Hard? Can you farm/Grind levels? I'm not sure how this game works being a Persona virgin and all...

If you've never played, there's nothing wrong with playing on Normal, since it gives you a decent challenge anyways as you can save the Very Hard difficulty for the second playthrough.

Again, I see why they would keep it but again, it doesn't always need to be there to me since they speak in familiar patterns. But we were actually discussing what we wanted to see in P5, not so much as P4, since the dialogue in P4 is not going to change.

If it's based in Japan, it should be there. Americanizing a culture by removing or changing aspects of their language or tradition is lame.

If it's based in Japan, it should be there. Americanizing a culture by removing or changing aspects of their language or tradition is lame.

Then that's fine. But again, we don't even know the setting for P5 - which was the original discussion where it came up - so if it's Japan again (which most likely it will be) then yes, I'm sure honorifics will stay.

It's not a big deal to me anyways, but I wouldn't mind them not being there. Fair?

LuchaShaq

Banned
I named the protagonist Tunoku, Charlie on accident.

I REGRET NOTHING!

I found a solution to new chie VA. Whenever she speaks mash the x button until her lines are done. No more ear piercing yells!

Ken

Does Izanagi level slower than the other character's personas?

^The new Chie VA was kind of annoying at first but after awhile I've grown to like it (no I don't feel a faint bond forming between me and the VA).

Trigger

Does Izanagi level slower than the other character's personas?

^The new Chie VA was kind of annoying at first but after awhile I've grown to like it.

Yes, but if you consistently give him shuffletime bonuses than his actual stats stay at the same level.

Salaadin

Mine just came in, but no Vita. I get to stare at it wishing I could play it. =/

Hold the skin in your hands and pretend its a Vita.

I got a "level up your personas skill" card during a shuffle. It turned my Zio into Mazio. This kinda makes me mad since I dont have a single target electric skill on that Persona :(
Thankfully, Im starting to hit the levels where Im getting the Medium dmg versions so it shouldnt be an issue for too long.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'll just say this: If the P4G actress had done the original, and the old VA had done P4G, we'd be hearing a lot of the SAME people complaining about how the game is worse off for it lol

The thing I admired Atlus for was avoiding the trap most anime dubs fall into and avoiding to cast high pitched voice actors to try and emulate Japanese and instead choosing people and voices which suited the personality of the character from Yukiko's elegance to Chie's tomboyishness. The new Chie voice actor is horrible and falls into all those traps. She also sounds like one of the hosts on an early childrens television show, speaking slowly and enunciating everything while purposely overacting every small emotion. It's gotten to the point where I read Chie's dialogue as fast as I can and skip which sometimes isn't fast enough and almost has me wanting to turn off VA completely.

suikodan

I started this game during the weekend and even though the intro seems to drag on, I do like it very much.

Two things though:
1- How does the SOS function work?
2- I watched some Youtube videos of P4 on PS2 and comparing the two, I think that P4G's Chie VO fits more her character than the PS2 VO.

Very fun so far, I like the dynamic of the plot and the music is nice as well.

But I like Izanagi. :(

You're not me ahhhhh
Get his Ultimate form =P
And lol at the amount of Chie VA stuff, will give my opinion when I recieve my game. And my opinion is from a guy who has not played the original game with the American VA, played it undubbed, and before anyone says I brought the game but decided to play it undubbed.

So I think I'll have a good opportunity to enjoy everything all over again VA wise especially. Anyway will update upon my copy arriving, and whether the VA feels off, for her and Teddie.
I wonder if the bear puns will piss me off more than the amount of "Kuma" in the Japanese version.

It's viable. Here's my hard mode Izanagi:

Tap the SOS icon and over time people will respond and you'll get a small sp/hp boost relative to how many folks sent some support in your next battle. You'll also get the option to send support to other players. Relatively useless IMO.

A godsend on very hard

Meier

My god the voice acting is so bad... it's killing me. :( Part of what makes it so bad is just how stilted the lines are delivered. It's not like they're having to match cadence to moving lips or anything.. why couldn't they just speak like a regular person would?

Top Bottom