• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Varna

Even better, the game we got before and are now not getting, with extra content that's actually worth it, unlike IS PSP

They could at least get the PS1 version up for download. :/

Back on topic:

Though I do wish very hard was more then adding a crap ton of HP and attack power behind enemies... it definitely is keeping the crawling interesting. Finding myself constantly grinding for a good Persona set.

All except Risky (Very Hard). I'm playing on Hard Mode, wiped and got the dungeon revive. It still sucked, lost a good bit of progress and an Armada Bustier for Yukiko FML.

Nice. I'm playing on hard as well and I had Shadow Chie go nuts and dizzy Yosuke within a couple turns and got worried.

Also, what's up with Shuffle Time? Game is letting me choose whatever I want so far. No shuffling to be seen.

Here be P4A spoilers. Ye've been warned.
He and another human with ties to the Kirijo Group orchestrated pretty much the entire events of Persona 4 Arena. He's not called by name, but he's got the same voice actors (English and Japanese), same mannerism, same personality, same M.O., etc...
This is fucking disturbing because this is the same shit from that p5 fan made project that started last year. Atlus listening to fans maybe? Also I thought he got his ass banned. WTF happened?

Varna

Also, what's up with Shuffle Time? Game is letting me choose whatever I want so far. No shuffling to be seen.

Picking what you wanted was never a problem to begin with. I like the new system. Cuts out the bull shit and adds a nice little something to make it easier to stack rewards or possibly screw yourself out of exp/money for a few fights.

Sophia

This is fucking disturbing because this is the same shit from that p5 fan made project that started last year. Atlus listening to fans maybe? Also I thought he got his ass banned. WTF happened?

Gods and other entities such as Nyarlathotep can never truly be defeated in the MegaTen universe. At least not in the traditional sense. Like how as long as people believe in him, YHVH will keep coming back, as long as people have chaos in their hearts, so can good old Nyarly.

Alfredo

Man, the SOS feature is pretty useful. I was able to finish Kanji's dungeon on the first day, fighting every single enemy, without using SP recovery items or Fox. My SP was getting pretty low, down to like 11, but then my Sarasvati learned Invigorate 2. Coupled with the SOS requests I did after every battle, my SP was back up in the hundreds soon. Yosuke pretty much kept most of his SP the whole time.

I just wish it didn't pause the action to send out a request.

C-Jo

Does anyone know if it's possible to read all of the books and max out every s.link in the same playthrough? I was planning on going for the books this time around, but I forgot about the missable ones and accidentally skipped
one of the Sunday Strength events.

iavi

It's pretty cool, how good this game looks, or, better said, how much an improvement it is over OG P4 in the graphics dept.

The initial screens released made it seem as if they removed a lot of the atmosphere from inaba, but, in practice, the whole place seems a lot grittier. I can't really put my finger on it, but the effect works.

Also, where the hell is Marie after school? The 'voice' says people have been chilling with her, but I can't find her anywhere.

Dantis

It's pretty cool, how good this game looks, or, better said, how much an improvement it is over OG P4 in the graphics dept.

The initial screens released made it seem as if they removed a lot of the atmosphere from inaba, but, in practice, the whole place seems a lot grittier. I can't really put my finger on it, but the effect works.

Wut.

It looks nearly the same, but with sharper textures and less fog.

bunbun777

Halp! I didn't study enough and now it is 7/20 and
what is the answer to "Even Kobo made mistakes in writing." Which kanji did he make a mistake on?

Picking what you wanted was never a problem to begin with. I like the new system. Cuts out the bull shit and adds a nice little something to make it easier to stack rewards or possibly screw yourself out of exp/money for a few fights.

I spoke too soon. The new system is pretty interesting. Getting a lot more stuff and having to juggle negative effect Arcana cards to get the bonus. Pretty cool

If it isn't too much trouble, could someone avatarize S.Yosuke for me? I'm pretty hopeless with anything image editing related and I'd really appreciate it

Oh, and I heard Chie say, "Aha! Is this our chance?"

;_;

Dommel

My copy arrived yesterday, came home from work and basically played it until I had to go to sleep again. I think I did manage to eat somewhere in between.

I've never played any of the Persona games so everything is new and magical to me. I'm a big fan of these type of games and it took me a while to get used to the english VO. I would have loved an option for a japanese VO because of the setting. Sometimes the american accents sounds a bit out of place.

Not knowing how any of the original characters behaved and sounded in japanese might make it easier to adjust the further I go though.

But awesome, awesome game. I just can't put it down. Didnt even mind the very slow start, was just soaking it all in and genuinely interested in the story and characters.

Dantis

I spoke too soon. The new system is pretty interesting. Getting a lot more stuff and having to juggle negative effect Arcana cards to get the bonus. Pretty cool

If it isn't too much trouble, could someone avatarize S.Yosuke for me? I'm pretty hopeless with anything image editing related and I'd really appreciate it

Oh, and I heard Chie say, "Aha! Is this our chance?"

;_;

shadyosk.png

And I thought the new actress did "Is this our chance?" pretty well, actually. Sounds a lot better than before.

shadyosk.png

And I thought the new actress did "Is this our chance?" pretty well, actually. Sounds a lot better than before.

Thanks!

What strikes me the most is, the character sounds compltely different. I mean, the new Teddie sounds like a rendition of the old one whereas new Chie doesn't really occupy the same niche. The character, at least before anyway, strayed somewhat from standard spunky girl archetype through the vocal delivery. Now she's just a plain old spunky girl

Could just be nostalgia though.

Dantis

Thanks!

What strikes me the most is, the character sounds compltely different. I mean, the new Teddie sounds like a rendition of the old one whereas new Chie doesn't really occupy the same niche. The character, at least before anyway, strayed somewhat from standard spunky girl archetype through the vocal delivery. Now she's just a plain old spunky girl

Could just be nostalgia though.

I agree. Generally I find the new voice pretty terrible, unfortunately.

Fucking...

My order got delayed to Wednesday.

That makes it 6 business-day 3-day UPS shipping.

wtf

why
Newegg? They charged me and sent me shipping notification on the 20th yet the tracking info didn't update till the 25th. I should be getting it today. I called them last night and asked them if they thought that was acceptable and they said no and have a $20 gift card on us. Yay.

In the Bath house now and it just keeps getting better!!

this game....man. the beginning was slow. so slow i kept going back to play mario sticker something, gravity rush, zen pinball, and jet set radio in between days. previous comments mentioned this so i stuck with it(plus, who wants to spend $40 and only play for 2 hours?) and now im fighting......and i LOVE IT!!! the weakness system is fun and getting one more chane to stomp a shadow or heal or plan your next attack is great. i try to not use analyze so i can work through skills till i find the right one. reminds me of procing in FFXI

Salaadin

And does the game disable network connection when you start it up?

This game actually makes it a point to keep you connected. Youll get messages asking you to connect before you even see the intro. If you ever hit the Home button suspend the game, its constant connection will be lost but it will immediately ask you to reconnect the moment you return to it.
It also doesnt have any of the network disabling gyro features as far as I know.

So is P4A generally considered a good game by P4 fans? Reviews are good but Im more interested in what you guys have to say. How does it compare to something like Blazblue and Guilty Gear?

Venfayth

P4A is very yomi based. It feels very similar to Blazblue, but also completely unique in that 2 buttons control your character and 2 buttons control your persona.

It's a good fighting game, and I enjoyed the story as well.

ohmygodmygamehasarrivedandiswaitingformeinmyneighboorhood'spostofficeit'ssoawesomeI'vebeenshippedbyPlay-AsiainjustaweekthankyoubasedPlay-Asia

Ahem, having already completed P4, would you recommend me to play this in hard mode ? What are the differences with the normal mode ? Does it unlock a trophy ?

So is P4A generally considered a good game by P4 fans? Reviews are good but Im more interested in what you guys have to say. How does it compare to something like Blazblue and Guilty Gear?

The game is good. But mostly I played it for the story and interactions between the characters. The story of Labrys is mostly worth the game.

Trigger

ohmygodmygamehasarrivedandiswaitingformeinmyneighboorhood'spostofficeit'ssoawesomeI'vebeenshippedbyPlay-AsiainjustaweekthankyoubasedPlay-Asia

Ahem, having already completed P4, would you recommend me to play this in hard mode ? What are the differences with the normal mode ? Does it unlock a trophy ?

I don't think there's a trophy, but as a P4 vet hard mode may as well be normal with all the changes made. It's an easier game for sure.

Salaadin

P4A is very yomi based. It feels very similar to Blazblue, but also completely unique in that 2 buttons control your character and 2 buttons control your persona.

It's a good fighting game, and I enjoyed the story as well.

The game is good. But mostly I played it for the story and interactions between the characters. The story of Labrys is mostly worth the game.

Nice. I see its only 30 bucks on Amazon. Ill probably pick it up once Im done with P4.

I got to the part in the game last night where *Rise story spoilers*
Teddie saves your asses. I was hoping something like this would happen. I always felt kinda sorry for him and how alone he was. Hilarious stuff too...seeing him all flattened out and mad about his beautiful fur being ruined. I was rolling.

Having him join the party is great too. I laughed when he became the Junes mascot and was handing out balloons to the kids.

Finished the final exams last night before quitting. Do I get to do more in a day now that schools over or is it handled just like regular days off from school?

Trigger

Summer vacation is like normal days off with more events. The one thing I hate about P4 is that you never seem to get more than two weeks for social links before some event cockblocks your plans.

Quixzlizx

For anyone on the fence about P4A, I ordered it on Black Friday from Amazon and my copy had the pre-order bonus soundtrack included.

I also ordered a Qanba Q4 so I have nothing else to blame (except for "lag" and "cheap bullshit!") when I go winless against other humans.

ckohler

I'm about 1 hour and 45 minutes in and I'm really enjoying it. On Normal difficulty, I only barely survived the first two battles by the skin of my teeth. I'm enjoying the story and relationship stuff more than the actual combat, which is good since there seems to be much more of that so far.

You guys were right that it does a good job of explaining things however I have to admit I'm really confused on the whole tarot card/persona stuff. It just seems to come out of nowhere and I really don't quite understand what's going on there.

For example, why does The Protagonist just suddenly
have a tarot card in his hand when he summons his Persona for the first time
? Where did he get it?

Dantis

I can't speak for the gameplay (I haven't actually played it), but the story is pretty poor.

If anyone says tells you that the story is as good as P3 or P4, you should rap them on the knuckles and call them a liar.

I'm about 1 hour and 45 minutes in and I'm really enjoying it. On Normal difficulty, I only barely survived the first two battles by the skin of my teeth. I'm enjoying the story and relationship stuff more than the actual combat, which is good since there seems to be much more of that so far.

You guys were right that it does a good job of explaining things however I have to admit I'm really confused on the whole tarot card/persona stuff. It just seems to come out of nowhere and I really don't quite understand what's going on there.

For example, why does The Protagonist just suddenly
have a tarot card in his hand when he summons his Persona for the first time
? Where did he get it?
It will be explained.

Top Bottom